Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

nooneofconsequence posted:

I just roll the plates onto a 2.5 to add weight. No muss, no fuss.

gonna do this in the future, thanks gianna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
why would you correct someone’s form instead of silently judging their tiny rom and weird thing of benching with their feet up on the bench

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

If you help others get stronger, you will get weaker. This is a zero sum game, people...

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

There is a guy at my gym who does this but he also drops the weight back on to the pins from the full height.

I request video of the rack tipping forward over and around the guy but not touching him.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
A guy at my gym rack pulls about 320kg or something and drops the weight from full height and ive never seen a bar flex that much irl it bounces around like crazy

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Chinatown posted:

lifting poo poo over your head is probably like the original lift in human history. Cavemen prob did it to impress cave women or dudes if they were gay on the DL.

i wonder when the first gay caveman sex happened

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
When your mom and dad conceived you

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
sick

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Defiant Sally posted:

literally the first time the sun went down

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Defiant Sally posted:

whered u think we learned rubbing 2 sticks together makes fire

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Why do u think dudes like buttsex so much

it's cuz it was all about the gay sex at the start

Then women became more plentiful and ruined everything with their "vaginas" and "boobs"

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
im gay

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

Fallows posted:

Synthol? Photoshop? or both?

This is a pretty late reply, but this dude is actually injecting a homemade chemical brew into his arms. He has been told that his arms will need to be amputated but he won't stop injecting the chemicals.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Charles Mansion posted:

This is a pretty late reply, but this dude is actually injecting a homemade chemical brew into his arms. He has been told that his arms will need to be amputated but he won't stop injecting the chemicals.

it's synthol

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Only reason you ever need to lift: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.c1bf51f1f3e4

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnWfAK5EE4w

Is anyone wet?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

lol at the woman desperately trying to discredit it.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i wonder if they had any strongfats in their study

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
The 2nd critic in that article is talking about leanness and six pack abs where the study was correlating strength and attractiveness. I wonder if she read the study

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Charles Mansion posted:

my potions are too strong for you traveler

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Charles Mansion posted:

Lol that the writer doesn't know that Popeye was known for his huge forearms.

loving journalism lol

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

KyloWinter posted:

The 2nd critic in that article is talking about leanness and six pack abs where the study was correlating strength and attractiveness. I wonder if she read the study

I noticed this too. The first part of the article specifically mentioned that leanness was not as strongly correlated to the participants' ratings of attractiveness as the scores of the men whose pictures they used on "weightlifting machines, grip strength tests and other measures" were.

I want to know more about the tests they used to evaluate strength, actually. Grip strength is legit, right?

The comments about how the study doesn't really show anything about evolution are accurate though. It just demonstrates that study participants at a college in the US and another in Australia rated the attractiveness of pictures of men's torsos in a way that strongly correlated to the measures of strength of those men used in the study. Specifically, pictures of men drawn from either a gymgoing population, or a bunch of dorks from the psychology department. Any :biotruths: the authors claim to have uncovered are pure speculation.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Everyone is...

"Some evolutionary psychologists suggest there is an optimal peak for male strength, beyond which hulkish, muscle-bound men cease to be attractive. That trend did not appear in this study."

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Also I feel like they should have not blurred out the faces since it's more of how attractive someones torso is study instead of how attractive they are when not judged by just half their body.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Evo psych stuff comes from a pretty legitimate basis (evo theory). The problem is it’s really hard to build a case for the claims because you need lots of cross cultural research as well as cross species research. But our closest relatives are chimps which aren’t actually that close. Then you have the backlash against it by other social scientists like this one woman in the article saying I’m glad they are treating men like pieces of meat instead of just women. Then you have lovely journalists writing bad articles about it. Etc etc. basically it’s really hard to do evo psych

"You find that people cooperate, you say, 'Yeah, that contributes to their genes' perpetuating.' You find that they fight, you say, ‘Sure, that’s obvious, because it means that their genes perpetuate and not somebody else's. In fact, just about anything you find, you can make up some story for it." Chomsky

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
Hot takes from the Guardian

quote:

You don’t need to be a men’s rights activist to be troubled by the academics’ language. They talk of “weaker men of poorer quality”.

The chad psychology researcher. The virgin opinion section journalist.

quote:

There might now follow, from a decidedly sub-Herculean specimen like me, a stream of wry self-deprecation. There might be references to bits of my body that are particularly podgy or scrawny, by way of humorous contrast with the ideal. Were this social media, I might post a picture of my hairier-than-I’d-like shoulders. I might respond to this latest confirmation of beta-male inferiority with attempts at irony or wit.

He might not respond to this by changing his attitude about diet and exercise. That idea doesn't occur to him.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If anything lifting weights has made my shoulders look even hairier

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Killing Loaf posted:

He might not respond to this by changing his attitude about diet and exercise. That idea doesn't occur to him.

Science literacy is so poo poo among everyone. This dude is also a bitchboy

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Killing Loaf posted:

LMAO the first paragraphs of that article

That's right... Look real close... Gaze and be amazed at the size and sheer strength.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

That article is the fitness version of the ones mega-bouge write when they're triggered by Earth Hour. "Oh, I guess I could turn off my electricity for an hour and think about what life would look like in a human civilization with a long-term future, and what could be done to bring that about...or I could go salsa dancing like the cool and fun person I am!!"

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

sassassin posted:

Fear of shame is more powerful than fear of death.

Okay, I'm convinced this is true. Today I had to grind out a 4th rep on my 4th set so I asked for a spot on my next set and banged out 5 no probs.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Placebo effect is real and documented in tons of situations, I'd imagine that a spotter gives you a pretty substantial psychological boost.

If you wanted to really explore it, I wouldn't be surprised if the psychological benefit leads to actual, measurable neurotransmitter release which allows you to push a little harder :shrug:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I think I'll start benching in a power rack.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I did 10x10 squats every few weeks some years back and the sets I got a spot for (from the 4th or 5th or whatever) always felt lighter.

Doesn't work if you know your spotter well. Has to be a stranger so you feel like you have to impress them.

Mental focus is 69% of athletic performance.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

was doing 10x10 squats good

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Friends, my stupid arm wrestling injury seems to have gone away.

But I swear, and I do not imagine this, anytime I sort of take a break for a week or so, I definitely lose some noticeable strength. But it literally comes back in 1 or 2 workouts. It's like my body peaks and de-peaks really easy or something.

I'm probably going to start my cycle over and actually bump my OHP training max back 5 lbs though. It needed it anyway, I was probably only going to get 3 or 4 reps on my 1+

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

But I swear, and I do not imagine this, anytime I sort of take a break for a week or so, I definitely lose some noticeable strength. But it literally comes back in 1 or 2 workouts. It's like my body peaks and de-peaks really easy or something.
It's called detraining, you didn't practice whatever lift for a week so you're not doing it as efficiently. Olympic lifts like the snatch will be hurt more than the squat and the press, those will be hurt more than bench which will be hurt more than deadlifts (sumo more than conventional.) The more technical a lift is the more you need continuous practice but it's still a skill you know so getting back at it doesn't take long.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Friends, my stupid arm wrestling injury seems to have gone away.

I'm probably going to start my cycle over and actually bump my OHP training max back 5 lbs though. It needed it anyway, I was probably only going to get 3 or 4 reps on my 1+

that is your cns efficiency at the movements dropping off. comes back quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ham_sanitizer posted:

that is your cns efficiency at the movements dropping off. comes back quick.

That shouldn't be happening in just a week.

ham_sanitizer posted:

was doing 10x10 squats good

Not really.