Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Teenage Fansub posted:

You will not besmirch the Uncanny Inhumans tie-in to IvX.
It was a hilarious anticlimax for the event and Soule's whole run.

Maximus strings you along for an arc on a quest to synthesise terrigen to win the war, ends up locking himself in a warehouse with that engineer dude for days while his cronies are hanging out expecting a miraculous machine to save their people. He finally emerges in a big dumb mech with giant sword instead of actual crystals. Then a fish monster comes along, beats it up and they never get to the fight.

I mean IvX has the dumb "We've created a machine that converts Terrigan mist to Crystals again!" "Wow that's amaz-" "So we can destroy it all!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uh huh. The event wasn't good, but the actual run was by far the most enjoyable superhero team book at the time, but I did enough trying to get y'all past the perceived push at the time and I guess it's no different a few years later, so that's me. Bye.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 15, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Teenage Fansub posted:

Uh huh. The event wasn't good, but the actual run was by far the most enjoyable superhero team book at the time, but I did enough trying to get y'all past the perceived push at the time and I guess it's no different a year or so later, so that's me. Bye.

Reminds me of my constant attempts to get people to move past One More Day to read the Spidey period that followed

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Hey wait a minute

What's this now about Wanda and Pietro being reconned back to being Magneto's children? When did that ever change?

Is Polaris being his other kid still a thing?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that happened a while ago. idk the timeline of that change but it was probably around the time marvel decided to include wanda and pietro in the second avengers movie :v:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Teenage Fansub posted:

Uh huh. The event wasn't good, but the actual run was by far the most enjoyable superhero team book at the time, but I did enough trying to get y'all past the perceived push at the time and I guess it's no different a few years later, so that's me. Bye.

Yeah, the overall story was bad, but the books themselves were great at and real fun.

Manatee Cannon posted:

that happened a while ago. idk the timeline of that change but it was probably around the time marvel decided to include wanda and pietro in the second avengers movie :v:

It was, and I hope it will be put back to the old status as quickly as possible.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
I feel like the stunt Marvel pulled downplaying the X-Men and getting rid of the Fantastic Four and trying to push the Inhumans is when Marvel sales started to decline. Then replacing all of their main characters with gimmicky legacy versions didn’t help either.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lightning Lord posted:

The Inhumans work as a weird kingdom of isolationist jerks that live in a magic city or on the moon and don't otherwise

They can work as well as any super culture that Jack Kirby created. Asgardians, Mutants, New Gods, Eternals, Inhumans. All cut from similar cloth. I've pointed out before that in the first story arc involving the Inhumans, they are referred to as the Uncanny Inhumans, the X-Men show up for two pages to accept an invitation to Reed and Sue's wedding, and Sue even compares the Inhumans to Mutants.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I don't mind having necessarily trying to make the Inhumans a thing, and having Marvel trying to revive old concepts from time to time. But they have a lot of baggage as side characters involving eugenics, a slave class, and discrimination based on physical appearance, which is fairly problematic when they're being positioned to replace an oppressed minority metaphor.

Functionally the Inhumans might be able to replace the mutant angle of getting to dodge the "how did you get your powers?" question, but they can't realistically replace them thematically. They're not actually two equivalent concepts, and I think that's part of why the whole exercise always rang rather false.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I don't mind having necessarily trying to make the Inhumans a thing, and having Marvel trying to revive old concepts from time to time. But they have a lot of baggage as side characters involving eugenics, a slave class, and discrimination based on physical appearance, which is fairly problematic when they're being positioned to replace an oppressed minority metaphor.

Functionally the Inhumans might be able to replace the mutant angle of getting to dodge the "how did you get your powers?" question, but they can't realistically replace them thematically. They're not actually two equivalent concepts, and I think that's part of why the whole exercise always rang rather false.

this, pretty much

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Functionally the Inhumans might be able to replace the mutant angle of getting to dodge the "how did you get your powers?" question, but they can't realistically replace them thematically.

It's a good thing they didn't, then!

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's a good thing they didn't, then!

In the comics they absolutely did. They even showed inhuman teens getting persecuted in bendis uncanny X-Men run.

The whole loving thing was the brain child of Ike Perlmutter and some of the big wigs at Marvel to see if they could substitute out the X-Men with another cast of characters and pretend like no one would notice. Luckily Kevin Feige scrapped the inhumans movie in favor of Spider-Man and Perlmutter dumped them on the tv division while also keeping the pressure on the comic division to keep pumping out inhumans books no one was asking for.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Top Gun posted:

I feel like the stunt Marvel pulled downplaying the X-Men and getting rid of the Fantastic Four and trying to push the Inhumans is when Marvel sales started to decline. Then replacing all of their main characters with gimmicky legacy versions didn’t help either.
I'm not even sure what your position or timeline is here so I can't tell if I should say that correlation does not equal causation or just skip to "there really isn't even correlation" but keep riding your own horse.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gimmicky legacy characters is code for minorities.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Is Top Gun an American Dracula re-reg?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

irlZaphod posted:

I was under the impression that Race Realists was the American Dracula re-reg.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
How far out do we have to be before the creators can all speak candidly about the situation? I wanna hear all about how the idea came about: "a big fuckin' cloud that circles the world randomly turning people into Inhumans, and get this, it also kills Mutants!" The "replacement" could definitely have been done without seeming like a big obvious cloud-shaped gently caress-you to the Mutants. Could have been a gradual supplanting of characters and books, lots of crossover and, above all, teaming up instead of fighting each other, and by the time this whole new Movie Rights situation happened, we might have barely noticed that all the new kids were Inhumans instead of Mutants because they all hung out in each others books and were friends and all thought Beast was a turd. Instead some genius decided the solution was to start killing mutants, make a fuckton of new Inhumans at once, and then have them all go to war with each other because that's what sells comics, smashing the action figures together.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
*stands up* No, I'm nacirema alucard!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
One decent thing that came out of inhumanity/post secret wars inhumans was that they blew up the whole caste system thing and black bolt having like 6 wives who he actually didn't like. those things were gross

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Do they still have alpha primitive slaves

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Diet Poison posted:

How far out do we have to be before the creators can all speak candidly about the situation?

In this industry? Like a decade at least. Maybe more, depending on how "candid" we're talking. It's a small industry and talking poo poo gets you blackballed, even if it's entirely true poo poo.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Do they still have alpha primitive slaves

They keep freeing them and unfreeing them.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

irlZaphod posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

black bolt having like 6 wives who he actually didn't like. those things were gross

I was trying to think back on which of them Peter Parker and Johnny Storm were partying with in FF. Guess this wasn't the horse wife, but whatever. I'll post the pages anyway, cause they should come out for any occasion.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 15, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Autism Sneaks posted:

*stands up* No, I'm nacirema alucard!

:looks over resume:

I'm sorry, you haven't said nearly enough hateful things about minorities. Or any at all really. I just don't think we have a place for you here currently. Maybe get back to us when you've developed a vicious hatred of THE GAYS.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

How can you have the page where Peter kisses her and not include the later scene on attilan where they run into each other

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Looks like Johnny was about to get his flame on with MJ.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

head58 posted:

Looks like Johnny was about to get his flame on with MJ.

Pete wakes up on the couch hungover and listening to Johnny tell her on the phone that she "hit the jackpot".

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

good day for a bris posted:

Pete wakes up on the couch hungover and listening to Johnny tell her on the phone that she "hit the jackpot".

I hate this

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

How can you have the page where Peter kisses her and not include the later scene on attilan where they run into each other

Got you covered

FF#21

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Got you covered

FF#21

Ok parts of inhumans are good

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
In 2017 peter would be proud of his big butt

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Johnny didn't sleep with MJ. If I remember right, he was just messing with Pete.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You know not the depth of shame in admitting you haven't read FF.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

So like is that Moloid old enough to go out drinking and partying?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

It is next after seven soldiers and multiversity.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Mike Allred FF

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's okay, I'll die on that hill too, bud.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Onmi posted:

I mean IvX has the dumb "We've created a machine that converts Terrigan mist to Crystals again!" "Wow that's amaz-" "So we can destroy it all!"

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Roth posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

You show that and don't mention that he ate that ban for crying about all the mean SJWs in BSS to lowtax in a random GBS thread. SAD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nuns with Guns posted:

You show that and don't mention that he ate that ban for crying about all the mean SJWs in BSS to lowtax in a random GBS thread. SAD!

lmao I never noticed that that's awesome

• Locked thread