Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
For anyone confused about some third act details it's implicitly stated that Benecio sells them out. He even says that we got captured so I cut a deal and he tells them everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/941588488956231680

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

I just find it strange that the Disney films throw all manner of bones to the OT -- Nien Nunb, Ackbar, the guy who gets his arm cut off by Obi-Wan, probably more -- but there never seems to be anything from the prequels. And when we do get a location, they don't name it like they do with every other planet. Are there really people out there who might see the words MUSTAFAR and flip out?

They hate the Prequels due to really dumb fans not getting exactly what they wanted.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
Leia floating in space lol. Christ this movie sucked loving rear end and a hearty laugh at anyone who enjoyed it. gently caress you Disney.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm very glad that there are new spaceships. I'm thinking intently about animals and the symbolism of the color red.

The Mouse allowed this movie to present new ideas rather than constrain it to remix old ones, which I think will cover a lot of its shortcomings for me once I've got some more distance from it. In that sense it's a much truer successor to Lucas' work than the last episode was.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Not going to lie there’s a lot of the movie I’ll probably end up not liking on second viewing but HOLY poo poo that one moment is going to carry the movie for me for a long time.

Like oh my god that was so good. Overall the movie was good? I think it had more good than bad for me and the bad was more of a “why”. It was longer than I thought it would be too.

I want that scene as a desktop background if not a 3 foot wide wall poster

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
The kid at the end should have been staring at a McDonalds logo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Who saw Gareth Edwards in the trenches at the end? That was cool.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Liquid Drink posted:

Leia floating in space lol. Christ this movie sucked loving rear end and a hearty laugh at anyone who enjoyed it. gently caress you Disney.

Good God I wish I could have those three hours of my life back.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'll take it from you. This movie was the Star Wars film I always wanted, but never asked for. I can't imagine ever topping this.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

General Dog posted:

I'll be damned if this movie doesn't clean up most of The Force Awakens' messes (even if it creates a few new ones itself)

I feel like both movies have a problem of building up characters who are supposed to be hyped and then letting us down with a death that's memorable on paper but kinda lacks the emotional weight they think it should

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I think my biggest problem with Planet Monaco was the supposed sense of urgency what with their friends about to die and yet I half expected Finn to develop a gambling addiction right then and there

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

And man ackbar pretty much died off screen even if you can or can't see it. I can't even remember

How they gonna do him like that

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Oh, this is in Australia at Event Cinemas; $20.50 in the basic theatres, $27.50 in the nice VMAX theatres, $52 to see a movie in Gold Class

I paid 35 us for the Chinese theater 6pm

In my defense there were Australians who felt it was Worth coming and also free pizza afterwards thouhh you didn't have to pay if you just walked up and pretended you owned the place you could get some slices

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Alan Smithee posted:

I paid 35 us for the Chinese theater 6pm

In my defense there were Australians who felt it was Worth coming and also free pizza afterwards thouhh you didn't have to pay if you just walked up and pretended you owned the place you could get some slices

What's up Chinese friend

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

That bombing attack at the beginning took me completely out of the movie, well executed garbage that managed to sap of threat the first order.I know that they bumbling superfuckups but you need to give them some capability to inflict pain on the rebellion.We are told that they have sweep the galaxy and destroyed the republic and one pilot shows up and fucks their business .

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

hump day bitches! posted:

That bombing attack at the beginning took me completely out of the movie, well executed garbage that managed to sap of threat the first order.I know that they bumbling superfuckups but you need to give them some capability to inflict pain on the rebellion.We are told that they have sweep the galaxy and destroyed the republic and one pilot shows up and fucks their business .

They basically spend 2 hours kicking the Resistance's rear end.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think I liked this movie a lot more than most people because I didn't watch the monday night football trailer. I remember feeling like i already knew ep 7s plot from reading poo poo and watching the trailers.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

i'm shook as f

that movie was so boring and just bad

felt like a bad tv show and just kept dragging on and on and on and on

save your dollars kids and give this a hard pass

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Irisi posted:

You talking about the scene where Laura Derns' character fires the goddamn ship into hyperspace right through the First Orders' ship? Because good god, that was beautiful. The movie went silent, and you could feel everyone in the cinema holding their breath. It was absolutely stunning.

When this happened in my viewing a guy sneezed really loudly and it was loving hilarious

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
How many hours does Rey spend with Luke?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Milky Moor posted:

How many hours does Rey spend with Luke?

less than 18 i guess

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Ramadu posted:

less than 18 i guess

Oh, good. For some reason I thought the fleet was said to only have six hours of fuel at the start of the chase.

That's the amount it has later, I think.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Control Volume posted:

Hey all, this is probably a repeat question but Im trying to avoid any and all spoilers and reading this thread is a danger to that, but could any of this movie be characterized as just being the original star wars trilogy being rehashed? Im hoping not but want confirmation

The whole middle act is lifted directly from Return of the Jedi, like, not even in reference it's almost verbatim a remake.

I don't want to say that The Last Jedi is as bad as the prequels, but it comes really god drat close. It has some really amazing shots and some legitimately good scenes but it's tonally all over the place and at 2.5 it's a loving slog. It starts off pretty strong but falls apart fast, at an hour in I was just waiting for it to end.

Also, lol at Leia being the only character that lives on now that Carrie Fisher is dead, I can't wait for all CGI Leia or whatever poor way they write her off.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

they're probably going to Gold Leader her unused footage, Godfry Ho style

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

s.i.r.e. posted:

The whole middle act is lifted directly from Return of the Jedi, like, not even in reference it's almost verbatim a remake.

I don't want to say that The Last Jedi is as bad as the prequels, but it comes really god drat close. It has some really amazing shots and some legitimately good scenes but it's tonally all over the place and at 2.5 it's a loving slog. It starts off pretty strong but falls apart fast, at an hour in I was just waiting for it to end.

Also, lol at Leia being the only character that lives on now that Carrie Fisher is dead, I can't wait for all CGI Leia or whatever poor way they write her off.

i'd honestly, no hyperbole or internet edgelord, rate it below the prequels. For as horrible as the prequels are they were never boring. There was always bad performances or weird directing decisions or weird poo poo going on it. But this just....dragged on and on. The cuts felt weird and bad and like it was on tv or something.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I absolutely loved it.

While the side stories were a little strange (as mentioned in loads of reviews) it all fitted together really well for me. It was good seeing someone from East Asia doing an action hero bit right at the start as well, you never see that and I understand the reviews saying how surprising it was to them, in a good way.

I especially liked Rose telling us that it was "filled with the worst people" and then it cut to them being the super rich. And Del Toro being all "You're both as bad as each other" then it categorically saying they're not. They're only small bits but it spoke to me, I guess.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I liked the movie a whole bunch and think it was the best mr star wars yet.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I wanted to like it, and there were certainly individual moments I loved-the suicide hyperspeed jump and the World War II-esque bomber sequence in particular were great scenes. On the whole though, I just can't help but be disappointed by it. For instance, I got that 'overcoming failure' was one of the themes of the movie, but that doesn't make it any more satisfying to watch the characters of the film make mistake after mistake that got people killed or set them back for little to no gain.

More than that, though, I think the biggest thing that struck me after walking out of the theater was that in the rush by the filmmakers to remake the events of the OT, they undercut the hard-earned victories of those films. By the end of the OT, the Empire had been defeated and the Jedi had returned-but by the time of the new trilogy, the Empire is back with a new name, the Jedi are gone again, and the principle characters of the OT have turned into miserable, broken people. And hey, maybe that could've worked if TFA or TLJ were stronger, more original films... but they're not, so it's all just ultimately hollow and disappointing.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Acebuckeye13 posted:

by the end of the OT, the Empire had been defeated and the Jedi had returned-but by the time of the new trilogy, the Empire is back with a new name, the Jedi are gone again, and the principle characters of the OT have turned into miserable, broken people. And hey, maybe that could've worked if TFA or TLJ were stronger, more original films... but they're not, so it's all just ultimately hollow and disappointing. [/spoiler]

I mean, that's sort of the central premise of the film though. Why does this keep happening. It just happens to end in a deeply cynical note in that regard.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You can tell that Rian Johnson is a prequel fan because he treats iconic Star Wars elements with as much reverence as Lucas did. That's why I like this so much, even though it felt too long.

One thing: in the opening scene of the movie, Poe did refer to Hux as "General Hugs", right? Because when the other First Order people are saying Hux's name or when Hux is referring to himself, the subtitle spells it "Hux" but it's "Hugs" when Poe is talking.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The MSJ posted:

You can tell that Rian Johnson is a prequel fan because he treats iconic Star Wars elements with as much reverence as Lucas did. That's why I like this so much, even though it felt too long.

One thing: in the opening scene of the movie, Poe did refer to Hux as "General Hugs", right?

Yes.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Milky Moor posted:

Bail Organa and Mustafar? What're the other two?
Mothma and Coruscant (in Jyn's flashback).

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Lord Hydronium posted:

Mothma and Coruscant (in Jyn's flashback).

OT character and not explicitly identified as Coruscant. Same thing as Mustafar it is but also isn't.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So I get getting rid of the old and moving away from the Jedi and Sith but... that’s it for Snoke? We never get to find out what the poo poo his deal is or how he formed/started the First Order and how things went from decades of a republic back to square 1?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So I get getting rid of the old and moving away from the Jedi and Sith but... that’s it for Snoke? We never get to find out what the poo poo his deal is or how he formed/started the First Order and how things went from decades of a republic back to square 1?

I'm glad of it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Maybe you'll get a Snoke standalone movie in 20 years.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I smell A Star Wars Story in the making!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Snoke got as much backstory as the Emperor did before the prequels came around, i.e. none. It doesn't matter who he is or where he came from. He's just the latest Big Bad trying to manipulate poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also as cool as the visuals were I thought it was silly how the movie starts with the reveal of the big rear end super dreadnought star destroyer... which gets immediately clowned by the rebels. Then after they escape they immediately bring an even bigger star dreadnought destroyer... which also gets clowned. At this point the First Order is like 2 steps away of having super dreadnought destroyers made of giant dreadnought. By the end up episode 9 we’ll get a fleet of Death Stars somehow managing to lose to some x-wings.