Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love following the evolution, it's like

"How do we convey the idea of a bunch of hidden menus on a small mobile screen with no real estate? I know, three horizontal lines"
"Great, now the hamburger menu is established, let's simplify it so it no longer resembles the thing it was trying to evoke, also make its tap target smaller and more annoying"
"Why is this icon not consistent across all platforms? Put the vertical dots thing on desktop interfaces *gives self UX award* "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

the three vertical dots thing is even more inscrutable than the hamburger menu, which at least has a generally accepted convention as 'the thing you use to jump to a different section of the app'. pretty sure chrome on android at one point had one so long that it had to have scrollbars. at least android got rid of the dedicated hardware button for overflow menus which always felt like kind of an affront.

is the ios 'do everything with the share sheet' way much better though? it does have icons, some semblance of organization, and a modicum of customisability, and they seem to have ironed out the bug where it would just up and forget your customisations occasionally.

talking of share sheets it's quite something how google have got away with implementing their own in all their ios apps for no discernible reason. not quite as obnoxious as the 'TRY CHROME' nag screens when you open a link from one of their apps but still pretty loving cheeky

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Generic Monk posted:

talking of share sheets it's quite something how google have got away with implementing their own in all their ios apps for no discernible reason. not quite as obnoxious as the 'TRY CHROME' nag screens when you open a link from one of their apps but still pretty loving cheeky

Yes! I was just showing my brother this last week. It's so inconsistent too. The YouTube one is the worst example and then in other google apps it doesn't exist. So weird.
The YouTube app is so so bad

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Generic Monk posted:

the three vertical dots thing is even more inscrutable than the hamburger menu,

kebab

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Not to be triggered too hard by this, but surely it should be 'shish,' seeing as we're being specific with 'doner'?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Theophany posted:

Not to be triggered too hard by this, but surely it should be 'shish,' seeing as we're being specific with 'doner'?

I think these days kebab has an implicit shish, even though kebab is really only referring to the meat.

Of course, someone who is bothered enough to make a meat analogy menu graphic is likely anal enough to include the shish. :iiam:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Proteus Jones posted:

I think these days kebab has an implicit shish, even though kebab is really only referring to the meat.

Of course, someone who is bothered enough to make a meat analogy menu graphic is likely anal enough to include the shish. :iiam:

There's a large middle-Eastern immigrant community where I live so you absolutely must make a distinction between kofte, shish and doner in your takeout menus. I now eagerly await the shwarma menu icon...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah in the states kebab always seems to mean shish, home in the UK kebab would mean doner generally. I like those names for the menus though, I shall try to remember them.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Theophany posted:

There's a large middle-Eastern immigrant community where I live so you absolutely must make a distinction between kofte, shish and doner in your takeout menus. I now eagerly await the shwarma menu icon...

I pita the fool...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

is the ios 'do everything with the share sheet' way much better though? it does have icons, some semblance of organization, and a modicum of customisability, and they seem to have ironed out the bug where it would just up and forget your customisations occasionally.

I know this isn't the iOS thread but holy poo poo is the Share feature terrible.

Like if I want to save a picture from a text message 90% of the time the button to bring up the save icon is on the bottom of the picture but 10% of the time its at the top. Why? Who the gently caress knows they are all the same size picture.

Then! If I want to save it to my phone 25% of the time the save picture icon is first but 75% of the time its either at the very end or sometimes its in the middle. Why? Who the gently caress knows.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hi, I'm a dumb man who unironically uses twitter. I'm looking for a decent desktop twitter client since the official one doesn't seem to support 280 chars.

Only real requirements are that I need it to be unobtrusive and minimal. I don't want a huge loving window just to read tiny snips of text, I have enough apps which think they need to be fullscreen to keep track of. The official client is perfect since I can tell it to literally just pop open a small window when I click on the menubar icon. Pretty much my only complaint is the character limit that I figured would have been updated on day one. Don't need any other fancy features. I only use one twitter account so I don't need multi-account anything. Just something to show my timeline and let me send pointless updates to nobody in particular.

Any suggestions?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Download TweetDeck. It’s just a window into the web app. Works great for me.

Some people like TweetBot but I don’t like it on macOS. Great on iOS though.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Hi, I'm a dumb man who unironically uses twitter. I'm looking for a decent desktop twitter client since the official one doesn't seem to support 280 chars.

Only real requirements are that I need it to be unobtrusive and minimal. I don't want a huge loving window just to read tiny snips of text, I have enough apps which think they need to be fullscreen to keep track of. The official client is perfect since I can tell it to literally just pop open a small window when I click on the menubar icon. Pretty much my only complaint is the character limit that I figured would have been updated on day one. Don't need any other fancy features. I only use one twitter account so I don't need multi-account anything. Just something to show my timeline and let me send pointless updates to nobody in particular.

Any suggestions?

tweetbot

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Any suggestions?
I mean, I'd get the same you use on your mobile so you can sync your read position.

I use Tweetbot for everything, but the macOS syncing is just awful bordering on non-existing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks errybody.

ufarn posted:

I mean, I'd get the same you use on your mobile so you can sync your read position.

I use Tweetbot for everything, but the macOS syncing is just awful bordering on non-existing.

Yeah I just forked over some money to change everything to tweetbot since it promised some syncing. Honestly even if it doesn't work it'll probably still be more useful than the official app so I'm not too fussed. I've certainly spent twenty bucks on dumber things in my life.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gruber recommended Twitterific, but I can’t say I fed the same way about that one. Also twitter clients seem to universally hog ram which is a pain.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

ufarn posted:

huh? tweetbot syncs wonderfully between my phone/mac/ipad. no issues.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jaegerx posted:

huh? tweetbot syncs wonderfully between my phone/mac/ipad. no issues.

This is the killer feature for me. Plus, you can pretty much replicate TweetDeck using Tweetbot on the Mac which is nice.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know the official twitter client has a reputation for being garbage but

Martytoof posted:

the official one doesn't seem to support 280 chars.

loving lmao

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Do any third party clients support polls or group DMs yet? I know tweetbot doesn't

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Data Graham posted:

I know the official twitter client has a reputation for being garbage but

loving lmao

It’s so loving mind boggling.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

The Milkman posted:

Do any third party clients support polls or group DMs yet? I know tweetbot doesn't

twitterific has 'support' in the sense that they recently added a feature that scans for the word 'poll' or the poll emoji (along with some other stuff presumably) then offers a link to the website to vote on the poll. i can't imagine it working particularly well. then again there's no api support for polls or group DMs so it's not as if there's anything better out there.

twitterific seems decent honestly but the ui stutters a strange amount on my iphone 6 whereas tweetbot is perfectly smooth so i just use tweetbot

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 16, 2017

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

On the off chance anyone who reads this thread happens to be in both the tiny groups that use NVIDIA cards in a Mac Pro and use CUDA software... does anyone know if it is even possible to compile something on macOS using both CUDA and OpenMP? I'm trying to use some simulation software that gets a huge CUDA speedup but also relies heavily on OpenMP. CUDA 9 for macOS appears to require Apple clang (and an old version at that), but in their wisdom Apple has not seen fit to enable OpenMP in the Xcode version of clang.

Since you cannot use gcc/icc/non-Apple clang with macOS CUDA (unless there is a workaround I haven't found) and there is no way to make Apple clang support OpenMP, it seems like it is just impossible to make a program that uses both OpenMP and CUDA.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Twitterific seem to be the ones who are the fastest at rolling out support for new features. They figured out a way to detect polls, but Tweetbot still doesn't show anything.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Tweetbot is quick to roll out features once they’re accessible through the API, they just don’t try and implement work arounds for things that aren’t.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm leaning towards Tweetbot since I love it on my phone. That's cool that you can set it up like TweetDeck using multiple attached windows.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Tweetbot is the best option on Mac, but it still sucks. Its a resource hog big time.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Housh posted:

I'm leaning towards Tweetbot since I love it on my phone. That's cool that you can set it up like TweetDeck using multiple attached windows.

You can have multiple windows open, but if you want different lists feeding into a single window, it's easier to create multiple columns in the same window. I just have it full screen so it's on it's own desktop. I just swipe to it or select the menu bar icon.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I just setup TweetBot and it's beautiful as its own full screen desktop. Exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Housh posted:

I just setup TweetBot and it's beautiful as its own full screen desktop. Exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

:stonk:

That sounds awful.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Jealous Cow posted:

:stonk:

That sounds awful.

like the moment in the matrix when the plug goes into neo's head, except with racism

i forgot you could fullscreen tweetbot actually; just tried it now and it took a full 3 seconds to actually respond to that command. it also has the worst window resize performance i've ever seen. that being said it actually feels quite snappy while you're using it so idk

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Are you guys using older macs? I don't have any performance issues. I have a 2016 mbp with dGPU though.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Housh posted:

Are you guys using older macs? I don't have any performance issues. I have a 2016 mbp with dGPU though.

i'm using a 2012 mac mini which has all the graphics horsepower of a plasticine potato (albeit with an ssd and 16gb of ram for no good reason). doesn't affect the usability of the app at all, it's just a weird incongruity when the issues with window resizes dropping frames have been pretty much ironed out for the most part in recent osx versions

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Even on a new 27” iMac tweetbot’s window resize performance is horrible.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lol @ performance being an issue in a Twitter app.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/942446260371542017

Quickly becoming jo buddies

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There's an app for that.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Housh posted:

My theory is that it's a power user type of bug where something like mute filters regexing might be the culprit behind some of the resource hogging.

It's pretty bad on my iPad and iPhone, but the latter is a 5S with terrible battery, and I don't really use them for much else tbh.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ufarn posted:

My theory is that it's a power user type of bug where something like mute filters regexing might be the culprit behind some of the resource hogging.

It's pretty bad on my iPad and iPhone, but the latter is a 5S with terrible battery, and I don't really use them for much else tbh.

yeah it doesn't seem to hog resources on my machine but then again i only have one person (brianna wu) muted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Martytoof posted:

There's an app for that.

I wondered why I never saw any replies to this in the right thread. Sorry goons