Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

Fermi was objectively the fastest uarch when it came out, and it wasn't uniquely power-hungry. High-end GCN cards had a similar power draw. It just had a lovely blower cooler that wasn't really up to the demands of modern GPUs.

It pulled less than, say, Vega. Or even Fiji. Or even the 290X...

They weren't Maxwell-level good though, and that's the only time NVIDIA managed to take a dominant advantage. Coincidentally, that's also when AMD thought the discrete GPU market was dying and they could get away with rebrands forever.

AMD deserves their current low marketshare. You can't just not do R&D for 5 years and expect people to still buy your products. GCN is loving ancient. It's just AdoredTV-level whining that AMD isn't having 75% marketshare handed to them on a silver platter despite self-admittedly doing pretty much nothing in the market for the last 5 years.

The fact that their products haven't been in stock for anywhere near MSRP for the last 9 months is just the cherry on top. Not just Vega either, Polaris has never really recovered from the mining boom. GCN isn't even competitive with Paxwell, let alone when priced 25-75% above Paxwell.

have u watched any of adoredtv's videos? the guy has clearly stated that amd pretty much deserve to be in the position that they're in GPU-wise at the moment, and no one in this thread including you is or should be disputing that.

the highest end fermi was more powerful than the highest end amd offering, but the cards that actual people were actually buying were far more competitive in terms of price/performance on the amd side. saying that the highest end fermi was more powerful is just proving my point. to most people those numbers might as well be magic as they'll never own the card, but they're useful for marketing to say that you have the 'world's most powerful graphics card' despite your lineup as a whole being much less compelling than that would suggest

which is ofc what you do when you have a market/mindshare dominance the likes of which nvidia has got. i don't think anyone begrudges them that beyond an abstract distaste for the realities of consumer capitalism. yes, amd's bed is mostly self made. chill x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

MaxxBot posted:

More importantly PCPer says it does 79MH/s! I hope someone makes an 8x Titan V mining rig.

I don't expect that the gaming cards will be released based on the GV100, it will probably be an entirely different set of chips.

Someone on reddit already bought four of them for mining. :laffo:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

i hope they burn to the ground

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I really hope this doesn't mean the 1000-1100 series jump will be tiny, I've grown used to 700-900-1000 being so nice.

I think the uarch gains are more than people are giving credit for. NVIDIA managed to keep the SM size constant (600mm^2 GP100 = 6 SMs, 800mm^2 GV100 = 8 SMs) but also cram in Tensor Cores on top of that. At the end of the day, GV100 was actually on the same node as Pascal.

To put it another way, if NVIDIA doesn't have any uarch gains and just ramps up die size/core count, power consumption is going to suuuuuck.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

PCPer says the Titan V is 50% faster than the 1080 Ti in their gaming tests, that's actually better than I (and they) expected given how much of the die is used for FP64 and tensor cores. A GV102 chip with that stuff removed would be a monster.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-TITAN-V-Review-Part-1-Gaming

I know why the Hitman results suck, the recent GOTY update added a ~90fps cap and they're using pre-GOTY measurements for the other cards.

Nobody knows why they added that cap, high FPS worked fine before.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

inb4 miners drive it up to $4000

repiv fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 14, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Generic Monk posted:

have u watched any of adoredtv's videos? the guy has clearly stated that amd pretty much deserve to be in the position that they're in GPU-wise at the moment, and no one in this thread including you is or should be disputing that.

the highest end fermi was more powerful than the highest end amd offering, but the cards that actual people were actually buying were far more competitive in terms of price/performance on the amd side. saying that the highest end fermi was more powerful is just proving my point. to most people those numbers might as well be magic as they'll never own the card, but they're useful for marketing to say that you have the 'world's most powerful graphics card' despite your lineup as a whole being much less compelling than that would suggest

which is ofc what you do when you have a market/mindshare dominance the likes of which nvidia has got. i don't think anyone begrudges them that beyond an abstract distaste for the realities of consumer capitalism. yes, amd's bed is mostly self made. chill x

Adored is pathologically unable to discuss the issue without resorting to blaming NVIDIA's mind-control field, much like you are doing here.

The deficit really only got bad when AMD quit doing R&D, that's really the sum total of the issue. Sorry that it didn't turn into Bizarro Maxwell based on a handful of AMD cards being 10% faster than their competitors. Because at the end of the day, that's what you and Adored want, right?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Generic Monk posted:

i run a 5yo mac mini that works better today than the day it was sold. i have a thinkpad of comparable age that won't even run the latest version of windows properly. im with angry motherboard repairer/youtube ranter guy on getting rid of a lot of repairability for dubious gain but the and software are, with only a few exceptions, incredibly solid. people regularly make macs last for 8-10 years

I have a mid-2009 MBP and it runs like dirt, even with an 840 evo SSD and max ram hth.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

People laughed about miners buying Vega and then they released specially tuned cryptonight miners that lets vega 56/64 hit roughly 2000h/s ($6-8/d gross right now). It wouldn't surprise me if some large scale miners have private tensor core enabled software that they were testing with Volta.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Risky Bisquick posted:

People laughed about miners buying Vega and then they released specially tuned cryptonight miners that lets vega 56/64 hit roughly 2000h/s ($6-8/d gross right now). It wouldn't surprise me if some large scale miners have private tensor core enabled software that they were testing with Volta.

So are there a lot of cryptocoins that need mixed-precision floating-point processing power, then?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

The tensor cores only do floating point matrix FMAs, are there any cryptocurrencies that's applicable to? I'm pretty sure they're all integer based algorithms.

e;fb

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Paul MaudDib posted:

So are there a lot of cryptocoins that need mixed-precision floating-point processing power, then?

If you ICO it, they will mine it :ssh:

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Risky Bisquick posted:

I have a mid-2009 MBP and it runs like dirt, even with an 840 evo SSD and max ram hth.

2009 is now nearly 10 years old.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Risky Bisquick posted:

If you ICO it, they will mine it :ssh:

gooncoin, let's do it. I'll set up the wiki!

(this is probably not even possible given the vagaries of floating-point math)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Anyone have a time frame for Ampere launch btw? Gonna need a bunch of them for :airquote: deep learning :airquote:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Doobiecoin (tm)

Please don’t steal my coin name tia

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

Anyone have a time frame for Ampere launch btw? Gonna need a bunch of them for :airquote: deep learning :airquote:

Nothing has leaked, all we can do is guess. If they followed the same release cadence as Maxwell->Pascal then Ampere would launch in January but we'd probably be hearing more about it if it were launching so soon :shrug:

Hell we don't even know if Ampere is "Maxwell++" or "Volta Lite" yet.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

gooncoin, let's do it. I'll set up the wiki!

(this is probably not even possible given the vagaries of floating-point math)

So it'll be incredibly slow. Whatever, that's just something you can spin. Call it highly a ASIC-resistant next-generation cryptocurrency using multistage hashing.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

repiv posted:

I know why the Hitman results suck, the recent GOTY update added a ~90fps cap and they're using pre-GOTY measurements for the other cards.

I had not noticed that. Just messed around with it a bit and the benchmark appears to cap out at 93fps though the game actually caps at 100fps.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Risky Bisquick posted:

Pretty sure it'll launch between March to June, that's when the major conferences happen. NVIDIA is giving a keynote at GTC for sure.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pretty sure it'll launch between March to June, that's when the major conferences happen. NVIDIA is giving a keynote at GTC for sure.

Yeah, the earlier rumor was March 27th, which would be the 2nd day of GTC.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Do Titan V's even have anywhere near the ROI of any other card?

Edit: Link that poo poo please, I gotta see this.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Zero VGS posted:

Do Titan V's even have anywhere near the ROI of any other card?

Edit: Link that poo poo please, I gotta see this.

It barely outdoes two 1070s in mining; you could get six or seven 1070s for the price of one Titan V. Stupid mining aside, dude should be smacked for thinking he’s going to make money on this when he could get triple the hashing power for the same price.

E: I mean yeah, Titans retain value pretty well, but for gently caress’s sake $12,000 in cards that aren’t a guaranteed profit and are 66% slower than their equivalent price in other cards. TO THE MOON VVVVV

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 14, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

tehinternet posted:

It barely outdoes two 1070s in mining; you could get six or seven 1070s for the price of one Titan V. Stupid mining aside, dude should be smacked for thinking he’s going to make money on this when he could get triple the hashing power for the same price.

Right, that's exactly what I thought, glad I'm not losing my mind.

Not only did he pick a card that gets 3 times less ROI, it probably has 10 times as much room for depreciation as 1070's would have.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
It might depreciate slower than a gaming GPU because of the high double precision performance and tensor cores making it attractive to people other than gamers like the original Titan was. Still a hilariously bad idea for mining though.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

It might depreciate slower than a gaming GPU because of the high double precision performance and tensor cores making it attractive to people other than gamers like the original Titan was. Still a hilariously bad idea for mining though.

On the other hand he/she could be an early bitcoin supporter and may already be a bazillionare, at which point $12K is like $5 for me. Yes, I know I can get more sugar for 3 bucks, but this $5 candy is gold plated. So, why not?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
BTW, I have a PC that disconnecting from WinMiner, where it's still mining but doesn't show on the site, I seem to have figure out a workaround where I open Task Scheduler in Windows and point it to a reboot.bat file I made that simply says "reboot -r -t 3600", the reboots it once per hour and seems to keep things going while I'm at work.

Edit: Whups, got confused with the Cryptomining thread.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

MaxxBot posted:

It should, Maxwell Titans are still going for like $700+

But I mean... lol. If you needed/wanted it for literally anything else as well then sure, and it is truly unique in how it will probably retain value, but its still dumb. I almost bought one :whew:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
But I don't think the secondhand market can actually bear a $3000 card, or even $2000. The businesses that need these for development wouldn't care about saving a few bucks on eBay, they would just buy them new.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

But I don't think the secondhand market can actually bear a $3000 card, or even $2000. The businesses that need these for development wouldn't care about saving a few bucks on eBay, they would just buy them new.

Yeah thats a good point, I guess we shall see though perhaps its comparable to the Tesla/Quadro used market. Time will tell. Also it'll probably be important if that card id uniquely good at something down the road

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

Adored is pathologically unable to discuss the issue without resorting to blaming NVIDIA's mind-control field, much like you are doing here.

The deficit really only got bad when AMD quit doing R&D, that's really the sum total of the issue. Sorry that it didn't turn into Bizarro Maxwell based on a handful of AMD cards being 10% faster than their competitors. Because at the end of the day, that's what you and Adored want, right?

i don't think anyone would call a dominant position in the market, along with good marketing, a 'mind control field'. what i'm saying is not exactly controversial

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Adrian Courreges posted a new graphics breakdown, this time for MGS5: http://www.adriancourreges.com/blog/2017/12/15/mgs-v-graphics-study/

It's not really related to this thread but it's cool to see what your GPU is actually doing :)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
3 8 pin connectors

https://overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/sapphire_officially_announces_their_rx_vega_nitro_series_of_graphics_cards/1#.WjPEKeCct9M.reddit

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Power's in your hands.

Our Most Powerful Card Yet

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Lol as I was reading this article, another one popped up (like a literal popup from them)

"AMD Predicted to go bankrupt by 2020"

https://overclock3d.net/news/cpu_ma..._pos=0&at_tot=1

Facebook quality post though... from 2015

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

1gnoirents posted:

Yeah thats a good point, I guess we shall see though perhaps its comparable to the Tesla/Quadro used market. Time will tell. Also it'll probably be important if that card id uniquely good at something down the road

I'd like to point out that the only reason that some Titans keep their resale value is that aren't gimped on their floating point performance. The Titan XP and Titan Xp will invariably lose their resale value. I have seen people selling Titan XP on [H] when the 1080 Ti came out for around $700-800. Or maybe that was when the Xp came out, but I do know it was already selling way below retail used.

TLDR. The Titan V should keeps it's resale value, but the Pascal Titans are gimped FP which hurts resale.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Common sense says that the Titan XM should have severely depreciated by now, but they're still selling for almost 1080ti money: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=titan%20x%20maxwell&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

Either there's a use-case where the extra 1GB of VRAM makes a big difference or some people are just very stupid :iiam:

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 15, 2017

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Gonna sell my Maxwell Titan when I get back home in January :homebrew:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey could use a couple of quick opinions here:

Bought an Evga SC Black 1080ti a couple weeks back. Card is a brute. No issues or problems in 3d, but *periodically* I'll get a "Nvidia kernal has stopped working and has been recovered" notification in the taskbar. This only happens when doing desktop stuff, never doing 3D stuff.

From my searching, this appears to typically be a power-related error. I have followed all trouble shooting I could find which is namely turning up power settings for maximum performance and making sure the PCI-E slot is always getting enough power. I've also played with system overclocking (from completely off to mild using the built in Asus utility on my Z170A). I am using completely vanilla drivers and not doing any manual overclocking on the card. That said, it still happens from time to time. Might not happen for days, but might happen 2x in 10 minutes. As of now, it hasn't happened for days. I also did a completely 100% fresh windows resinstall.

My system was previously using a 980ti and worked solid in the system, or at least never had that error. From what I can tell the 1080ti is about the same power consumption of the 980ti, or if anything a little less... so I can't imagine my Corsair rx650w not being adequate for it when it was great for my 980ti. I've also taken a couple of HDD out of my system when I did the upgrade, so the PS is even less taxed now than before.

So, I'm stuck with thinking I have a slightly bad card, slightly bad PS (fluke of timing) or a mobo issue (also quite a fluke). I am leaning towards the card being questionable and looking to exchange it for a new one. Amazon will exchange it, but they have no stock so they are either saying I can wait for a week+ until the new ones arrive OR they'll give me 15% off the card if I want to live with it... which I must admit is tempting because that makes it a really good deal for a 1080ti.. but I don't get the warm fuzzies in case it gets worse.

Thoughts?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

slidebite posted:

Hey could use a couple of quick opinions here:

Bought an Evga SC Black 1080ti a couple weeks back. Card is a brute. No issues or problems in 3d, but *periodically* I'll get a "Nvidia kernal has stopped working and has been recovered" notification in the taskbar. This only happens when doing desktop stuff, never doing 3D stuff.

From my searching, this appears to typically be a power-related error. I have followed all trouble shooting I could find which is namely turning up power settings for maximum performance and making sure the PCI-E slot is always getting enough power. I've also played with system overclocking (from completely off to mild using the built in Asus utility on my Z170A). I am using completely vanilla drivers and not doing any manual overclocking on the card. That said, it still happens from time to time. Might not happen for days, but might happen 2x in 10 minutes. As of now, it hasn't happened for days. I also did a completely 100% fresh windows resinstall.

My system was previously using a 980ti and worked solid in the system, or at least never had that error. From what I can tell the 1080ti is about the same power consumption of the 980ti, or if anything a little less... so I can't imagine my Corsair rx650w not being adequate for it when it was great for my 980ti. I've also taken a couple of HDD out of my system when I did the upgrade, so the PS is even less taxed now than before.

So, I'm stuck with thinking I have a slightly bad card, slightly bad PS (fluke of timing) or a mobo issue (also quite a fluke). I am leaning towards the card being questionable and looking to exchange it for a new one. Amazon will exchange it, but they have no stock so they are either saying I can wait for a week+ until the new ones arrive OR they'll give me 15% off the card if I want to live with it... which I must admit is tempting because that makes it a really good deal for a 1080ti.. but I don't get the warm fuzzies in case it gets worse.

Thoughts?

I would exchange the card, and/or see if a driver update fixes it.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
It's me I'm the three and a half pound Vega 56 with 3 8-pins and a MSRP of 579€ (should be about 560 USD without tax)
A Palit Super Jetstream/Gamerock 1080 or Gainward Phoenix Golden Sample 1080 is 40€ less than that.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Are there any figures on the funding provided for Vega development, was it ever possible for Raja to create something good?

IE, did he drop the ball or was it impossible to create anything better then what we have?

sauer kraut posted:

/Gamerock 1080
I never hear mine, it's in a case cooled only by two CPU fans and a PSU fan (which is always passive). I really like the gamerock 1080.