Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Y'all ever notice how the official models of women in this game are almost entirely expensive and limited stock metal models of a poorly supported army or highly sexualized elves that are space pirates?

Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Cooked Auto posted:

Meanwhile all I'd ask for is a whole bunch of different hairstyles. Even something as base as a sidecut because the page style has never worked for me all that much.

I would bet money that any new sisters release will include sidecuts, just because its a popular alt haircut now.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Cooked Auto posted:

The one comment I remember about that book is reading a forum post, I believe either on SA or some other old 40k forum I posted on, was someone hurling that book against a wall because they thought it was so bad.

Meanwhile all I'd ask for is a whole bunch of different hairstyles. Even something as base as a sidecut because the page style has never worked for me all that much.

Might have been me, but I think I was talking about Battle for the Abyss or that excremental plagiarised fanfiction by Henry Zou. Pretty sure it was Zou. Everything about that was horrible. And, as I recall, really loving sexist.

Sister's hair is, I think, meant to be uniform in the same way a monk's tonsure is. But yeah, different hairstyles would be good. So long as they aren't dumb.

Star Man posted:

Y'all ever notice how the official models of women in this game are almost entirely expensive and limited stock metal models of a poorly supported army or highly sexualized elves that are space pirates?

Weird.

Fatuous.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 15, 2017

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Star Man posted:

Weird.

What a strikingly original take on the situation.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
God I would love some plastic sisters models, I mean I love the look of the current ones but metals are poo poo to deal with and Celestine and her buddies are such nice models.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

DiHK posted:

Just picked up a couple of wave serpents, and it turns out that the kit comes with enough weapons/covers to have a primary and sideboard for quick-swaps. Shurilen Cannons are default but the second option is a bit more of a difficult choice.

Can someone give me the mathhammer between Twin Bright Lance, Twin Star Cannon, Twin Aeldari Missile Launcher and Twin Scatter Lasers?

Of the options, shuriken cannons, bright lances and starcannons are the ones you want to consider. Shuriken cannons are your default “I want a cheap serpent” option and lances are your “I need a bit of extra AT”, so if you need to be able to swap between two I’d pick those. Starcannons can be a nice bump over shurikens if you have a few spare points at the end of a list and aren’t planning on using vectored engines - they’re very good at murdering exactly primaris marines and guard HW teams and fine against lots of other choices.

Scatter lasers are worse than shuriken cannons, AMLs are too expensive.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

DiHK posted:

Can someone give me the mathhammer between Twin Bright Lance, Twin Star Cannon, Twin Aeldari Missile Launcher and Twin Scatter Lasers?

Lets say T7 and T4? I'm mainly curious about damage output values regardless of saves

Here's some stats

Twin Aeldari Missile Launcher: Heavy 2/S8/AP-2/D-d6
Twin Bright Lance: Heavy 2/S8/AP-4/D-d6
Twin Starcannon: Heavy 4/S6/AP-3/D-d3
Twin Scatter laser: Heavy 8/S6/AP-0/D1
Twin Shuriken Cannon: Assault 6/S6/AP-0/D1

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Black_Nexus posted:

God I would love some plastic sisters models, I mean I love the look of the current ones but metals are poo poo to deal with and Celestine and her buddies are such nice models.
I'm willing to bet they were a bit of a proof of concept for plastic Sisters of Battle. Here's hoping.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Safety Factor posted:

I'm willing to bet they were a bit of a proof of concept for plastic Sisters of Battle. Here's hoping.

Yeah I am totally hoping, I've been holding my own with my sisters/guard filler and the chapter approved stuff did make it better.

But I would love a full codex (I'd settle for a book that also has the sisters of silence, custodes etc)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Schadenboner posted:

What a strikingly original take on the situation.

Am I wrong?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I don't think there's any way that they spent the resources on three plastic SoB characters without the intent of doing a full line. Combine the huge success they saw when they re-launched Dark Eldar with the wish to diversify and it's pretty much guaranteed that they are coming. I cautiously expect to see them as the last of the current codex releases.

Star Man posted:

Am I wrong?

Saying "am I wrong?" when people point out that what you said was facile bollocks doesn't actually stop what you said being idiotic.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I don't think there's any way that they spent the resources on three plastic SoB characters without the intent of doing a full line. Combine the huge success they saw when they re-launched Dark Eldar with the wish to diversify and it's pretty much guaranteed that they are coming. I cautiously expect to see them as the last of the current codex releases.

Saying "am I wrong?" when people point out that what you said was facile bollocks doesn't actually stop what you said being idiotic.

Yeah, the best part was that Celestine and the Geminae were roughly the same scale so it doesn't look super weird with them together

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'd be genuinely surprised if plastic Sisters weren't coming down the line. I'd love to have some to run with my Templars/Valhallans. They said that they're working on making things more inclusive but it's a slow ship to turn, with projects being about 3 years out. I was just happy that White Dwarf last month had like half a dozen different skin color tutorials that were by and large pretty good.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
With the Inquisition's "gently caress you, this is my transport now" power, is there an actual reason that, e.g. a Terminator =I= can't ride in a Repressor or an Immolator?

If the sisters had Terminators I have no doubt that (like all other Rhino chassis vehicles) it would have the "No terminators" rule but the SoBs don't, so their vehicles don't. Additionally, since it doesn't have the " (each TERMINATOR model takes up the space of two other models)" rule, does it only count as one? Same thing for a Chimera or a Taurox Prime, actually.

It seems like something that should get FAQ'ed if it hasn't already and I'm just not seeing it.

:shrug:

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I pray to gently caress not--if plastic Sisters ever get released, that means I'll have to start in with Knights and even Titanicus poo poo to back them, and I haven't even finished my Cult or Tyranids armies or Necrons, for that matter, effectively back-burnered once GSC was released. Plastic Sisters would make me spend a truly un-Christly amount of money on this loving hobby, and much of my bonus has already been lost paying off American corporate tax havens.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SRM posted:

I'd be genuinely surprised if plastic Sisters weren't coming down the line. I'd love to have some to run with my Templars/Valhallans. They said that they're working on making things more inclusive but it's a slow ship to turn, with projects being about 3 years out. I was just happy that White Dwarf last month had like half a dozen different skin color tutorials that were by and large pretty good.

Ever since GSC, or maybe some of the AoS stuff before that, they've definitely being going out of their way to do more skin colours. I was at an Eavy Metal seminar a few weeks back and after a stage by stage explanation of how they do a marine's face he made a point of talking about how you'd adapt that for darker skin. A few years back that might have been something you'd get in response to a question, but not as part of the main presentation.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

With the Inquisition's "gently caress you, this is my transport now" power, is there an actual reason that, e.g. a Terminator =I= can't ride in a Repressor or an Immolator?

If the sisters had Terminators I have no doubt that (like all other Rhino chassis vehicles) it would have the "No terminators" rule but the SoBs don't, so their vehicles don't. Additionally, since it doesn't have the " (each TERMINATOR model takes up the space of two other models)" rule, does it only count as one? Same thing for a Chimera or a Taurox Prime, actually.

It seems like something that should get FAQ'ed if it hasn't already and I'm just not seeing it.

:shrug:

The Authority Of The Inquisition rule states Inquisitors in terminator armor can only ride in transports that specifically allow Terminators to do so.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Schadenboner posted:

Unfortunately yes, they can only get in any transport that says it carries terminators too, notably not the custodes land raider.

They really should have just adopted a model size and transport capacity stat.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Goddamnit, it was right there too.

:doh:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
GW released a new policy on errata and changes:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/12/15/the-future-of-faqs-and-chapter-approved-dec-15gw-homepage-post-2/

Games Workshop posted:

1: Codex Errata
A couple of weeks after the release of every codex and Chapter Approved book, we’ll review all the questions and comments we’ve received to see if there’s a need for an errata. If that’s the case, we’ll get one out quick smartish! These will address any ambiguities or issues that might have cropped up, such as how new rules and Stratagems might interact in certain edge cases, or when there is a genuine error in one of the rules that stop it from functioning as intended.

Speaking of which, we’ve just uploaded this errata for Chapter Approved 2017.

2: Big, Twice-a-year FAQs
Major game-wide questions will be answered on a biannual basis each March and September when a wider set of FAQ updates will be released. These will be focused on anything that might emerge as more codexes, and thus more unusual interactions, make their way into the game and will address issues across multiple factions and publications. We’ll also use these to address balance issues in the game, so these might include a few changes to rules for overly powerful, or underrepresented units.

3: Chapter Approved
As new codexes arrive, and certain styles of army come in and out of fashion, the relative effectiveness of certain units in matched play will change. So we’ll be using Chapter Approved as a chance to reassess the points values of all units across the game (just like we did with the first Chapter Approved).

I like this policy.

EDIT: Also, this includes a MAJOR change to Smite

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/12/15/the-future-of-faqs-and-chapter-approved-dec-15gw-homepage-post-2/

I like this policy.

I am totally happy with this as a solution to smite spam. Pretty obnoxious that it didn't make it into CA though.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

I like this policy.

A boot slowly pressing down on a brimstone horror, crushing it.

Actually wait doesn't that make smiting with astropaths and other 1d6 cast smites like that actually impossible after 2 casts?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Artum posted:

Actually wait doesn't that make smiting with astropaths and other 1d6 cast smites like that actually impossible after 2 casts?

yeah, unless you have a modifier. I'd have preferred it be on casts and not attempts, but this works for me

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 15, 2017

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Artum posted:

It does. Smite with the Astropath first.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
You missed the other really fun change: No more assassin spam. Sorry Namaryth

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

Roll on actually fair assassin spam since you can actually play a game against them rather than be limited to every unit in your army only targeting whatevers closest to them in particular at that time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DiHK posted:

Lets say T7 and T4? I'm mainly curious about damage output values regardless of saves

Here's some stats

Twin Aeldari Missile Launcher: Heavy 2/S8/AP-2/D-d6
Twin Bright Lance: Heavy 2/S8/AP-4/D-d6
Twin Starcannon: Heavy 4/S6/AP-3/D-d3
Twin Scatter laser: Heavy 8/S6/AP-0/D1
Twin Shuriken Cannon: Assault 6/S6/AP-0/D1

Armor save plays a roll in things too so here are the calculations versus various targets assuming BS4.

pre:
Number of Kills Against Various Targets

Weapon		T3/6+/1W	T4/5+/1W	T4/3+/1W	T4/2+/2W	T7/3+/11W	T8/2+/16W
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aeldari ML	1.11		1.11		0.74		0.56		0.19		0.07
Bright Lance	1.11		1.11		1.11		0.93		0.28		0.12
Starcannon	2.22		1.78		1.48		1.19		0.13		0.07
Scatter Laser	3.70		2.96		1.19		0.30		0.05		0.02
Shuriken Cannon	2.78		2.22		0.89		0.22		0.04		0.01

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

I like this policy.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Great minds think alike, small minds seldom differ, or someone who works at GW reads this thread.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Pendent posted:

Wished they'd changed the LoS thing, still makes no sense to me that I can't target a character out in the open because a unit of Grots or w/e is hiding out of my sight just a little in front.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Armor save plays a roll in things too so here are the calculations versus various targets assuming BS4.

pre:
Number of Kills Against Various Targets

Weapon		T3/6+/1W	T4/5+/1W	T4/3+/1W	T4/2+/2W	T7/3+/11W	T8/2+/16W
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aeldari ML	1.11		1.11		0.74		0.56		0.19		0.07
Bright Lance	1.11		1.11		1.11		0.93		0.28		0.12
Starcannon	2.22		1.78		1.48		1.19		0.13		0.07
Scatter Laser	3.70		2.96		1.19		0.30		0.05		0.02
Shuriken Cannon	2.78		2.22		0.89		0.22		0.04		0.01

Which pretty much maths out what I'd have guessed anyway. Bright Lance for Tanks/Monsters, Starcannon for Marines, Scatter Laser for hordes. Only mitigating factor is that the Shuriken Cannon being Assault lets you maneuver and shoot without penalty so is probably a better choice than the Scatter Laser on high speed platforms who need to be on the move.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Yessssssss....my nipples!! they hurt!

Also, I don't think it will halt character spam, but it does fix the WORST aspect.

SteelMentor posted:

Wished they'd changed the LoS thing, still makes no sense to me that I can't target a character out in the open because a unit of Grots or w/e is hiding out of my sight just a little in front.

Yeah, but I'll take it!

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SteelMentor posted:

Blame the rear end in a top hat using rhinos as a vernier sight for their lascannons, it's why we cant have nice things.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

someone who works at GW reads this thread.
I think a few of us told them to join Something Awful in the community survey. :v:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Safety Factor posted:

I think a few of us told them to join Something Awful in the community survey. :v:

I certainly did.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

Yessssssss....my nipples!! they hurt!

Also, I don't think it will halt character spam, but it does fix the WORST aspect.

Doesnt it? it only really functioned because of the assassins tanking for each other. Now you can just see through all of them and murder guilliman/celestine/draigo with heavy weapons.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I just sent them a recommended tweak:

quote:

Psychic Focus
With the exception of Smite, each psychic power can be attempted only once per turn, rather than once per psyker per turn. In addition, subtract 1 from the result of any psychic test when attempting to manifest Smite for each other attempt (whether successful or not) that has been made to manifest Smite during this Psychic phase. In addition to occurring if the psychic test is a double 1 or double 6, if the modified roll is 2 or less then the psyker suffers a Perils of the Warp.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
what does the character targeting thing actually change

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Goddamn I am not sure how to keep my seraphim standing up on 25 mm bases, I think I am gonna put them on 32's and hope that grognards don't get pissy

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

zeal posted:

what does the character targeting thing actually change

Characters can't hide behind other characters any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

SteelMentor posted:

Characters can't hide behind other characters any more.

Which, thankfully, eliminates that annoying as hell tactic of burying a pile of characters behind a Cullexus assassin or two, so your opponent has no choice but to shoot the thing they can only hit on 6s.