Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Since no one can be bothered to link the drat thing: https://www.sbnation.com/2017/8/22/16181334/chart-party-history-of-nfl

Most consistent :hawksin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

OxySnake posted:

Is the FART website still around?

Someone keeping these posts alive for eternity would be an excellent solace once NN being gone means we have to pay :10bux: a month just to load SA.

I'm filing them offline.

quote:

I know this is a couple pages old, but drat Matt Ryan looks like a pretty successful businessman who is rapidly closing in on 40. He competes in triathlons in his spare time and he has come to the realization that he never really loved his wife. He goes on long runs early on Saturday mornings, and the last several weeks he's been arriving at the river trail a few minutes later than normal so that he spends part of his run staring at the rear end of the 20-something grad-student who he has started to chat up. Maybe this weekend he'll invite her to get some coffee after their run. He's fantasizes about the impending divorce. He doesn't hate his wife; he plans on making sure that she is comfortable and well taken care of, and he'd prefer to not have a contentious split since he knows that would be harder on his daughter. He tells himself that he wants to make sure he is still a part of his daughter's life, but he hasn't really ever been that involved with her and deep down he knows their relationship will devolve into the odd phone call and birthday card. If he could pinpoint where it all started to go wrong it would probably be after his wife had her third miscarriage. He had always wanted a big family, but at that point it was just too much for her and they stopped trying. He thinks that if they had more kids they could have made it work, but he's still not quite 40 and it isn't too late to start over. He wonders if the grad-student wants a big family...

You guys can't tell me that when you look into that picture of Matt Ryan you don't see a man who grew up in the shadow of an older brother. Jerry was the better athlete, Jerry had all the girlfriends, Jerry was the charmer who could roll around in pig poo poo, flash that million dollar smile, and come out smelling like roses. That’s not to say Matt wasn’t a decent athlete or didn’t have any girlfriends, but Jerry was the star player on the high school football team (although “star” is a relative term on a team that won 6 games in 2 years) and Jerry’s wife (then girlfriend) was the prom queen, and how exactly was Matt supposed to compete with that? Matt would say he had the last laugh now that Jerry is a balding, over-weight claims adjuster living in Overland Park Kansas, but Jerry and Cynthia found Jesus and have five kids and Matt is preparing to divorce his wife whom he hasn’t seen naked in over a year so it’s difficult to feel superior. Matt stopped being bitter at Jerry a long time ago anyways. Once they grew up and stopped competing with each other at everything Matt realized that his brother is just like everyone else, trying to do his best and get by day to day. Matt sometimes lies awake at night wondering if his financial success, which he considers moderate but which any sane person would consider substantial, has really bought him anything but heartburn and a failed marriage, but it’s the sort of crisis that doesn’t lead to any meaningful change and is forgotten by the time the alarm goes off and it’s time to hit the river trail. It’s a cold morning and Matt hopes the grad-student doesn’t decide to hit the snooze button.

You misunderstand. It’s not fan fiction. I’m just trying to describe what this picture looks like:

And what it looks like is a man who has been calling his lawyer’s office for the past week and a half and hanging up as soon as the receptionist answers because he feels guilty for beginning this process and blindsiding his wife with divorce papers. But it isn’t really blindsiding is it? Shannon has to know this is coming. She has to. She knows what has been going on for the past five years, or, more to the point, what has not been going on. Hell, she’s probably been seeing someone else behind his back. Who the gently caress knows what goes on all day when he’s at the office? But then again, this is a woman who spends forty-five minutes in the bathroom at a time and he can hear the sobbing through the door on occasion when she forgets to run the sink to drown it out. She still isn’t well and probably never will be, and if he were to serve her and she were to hurt herself he’s not sure he could forgive himself, not to mention the damage that would do to their daughter. So he continues to put it off, and most nights when he gets home from work he parks his Lexus in the driveway and rehearses what he’s going to say when he walks through the door. “Shannon, we both know this isn’t working. It’s not good for either of us to go on this way.” But what if she wants to work things out? He’s well past wanting to try and make it work, but what if she wants to? Could he actually say no to counseling? Wouldn’t that make him a bad person? And as soon as he’s ready to finally say it, he walks in the door and into the bedroom and the master bathroom door is closed and he can hear the sink running. So he changes into his running clothes and heads out to the river trail.

Sorry jefe, it’s June and the Halos are bottom feeders so I feel empty inside.

Matt looks like he feels pretty empty inside, sort of like a man who just had a two hour argument with his wife because she felt “Way too loving fat” to go to dinner at the club with the Applebaums. But he’s tired of making excuses for her, “Oh sorry, Shannon is a bit under the weather,” “Oh sorry, our baby sitter canceled at the last minute,” “Oh sorry, Shannon is feeling way too loving fat to come tonight.” So he begs and pleads and she slams the bathroom door so hard the windows shake. They ride to the club in total silence. He reaches for the radio, but she shifts in her seat and groans so he retracts his hand and curses to himself internally. At the club it’s all handshakes and smiles, though she does manage a subtle glare at him when he orders a double Johnnie Walker Black on the rocks. Janice Applebaum asks if she’d like to share a bottle of wine, and she says “No thank you, I think one of us should remain sober.” Other than that little dig things go smoothly enough, but before they’ve ordered dessert she excuses herself and doesn’t return for twenty or so minutes. She claims to have run into Emilia Parker in the ladies restroom and she just couldn’t get away any sooner, but he notices the hastily reapplied lipstick and he’s sure the Applebaum’s do as well. On the way home he catches a brief whiff of sour breath from her and he almost says something, but before he can she asks if he wouldn’t mind sleeping on the couch tonight because he always wakes her up when he leaves early to head out for a run. As they walk through the door she heads straight into the master bath and shuts the door.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I actually hadn't seen that one before, I guess he references it in a different video because he definitely says the "football sort of happens to them" line out loud in the one I'm thinking of

Neat video though. The Falcons thing was hilarious

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Intruder posted:

The Houston Texans

they bad
On a scale of Deshaun Watson to Tom Savage, how mobile is TJ Yates?

Randaconda posted:

The Jags are good. :randstare:
:randstare:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

On a scale of Deshaun Watson to Tom Savage, how mobile is TJ Yates?

Probably Matt Schaub

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Intruder posted:

Probably Matt Schaub
Hrm I think I will hope for 6 sacks then.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

whypick1 posted:

Since no one can be bothered to link the drat thing: https://www.sbnation.com/2017/8/22/16181334/chart-party-history-of-nfl

Most consistent :hawksin:

A predictable team headed by an unpredictable QB.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Hrm I think I will hope for 6 sacks then.

Don't forget the pick 6!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

weird Asian candy posted:

Don't forget the pick 6!
Oh there will be interceptions, of that I haven doubt.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TJ Yates is reasonably athletic, but he's really slow at processing what's going on around him as I remember.

So he'll either be panicking and throwing the ball away quickly or getting his spleen removed from his body against the Jags pass rush.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
TJ Yates still has one or two hilarious upsets left in him. He's a ticking time bomb, imo.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Reminder that TJ Yates ended the Bengals undefeated season in 2015. They had been 8-0

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Here's a cool article on Yannick Ngakoue who I totally knew about before 15 minutes ago:
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/12/15/16778592/yannick-ngakoue-jaguars-defense

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Thanks for reposting that!

And also lol after that goddamn post the Giants won the Super Bowl again. gently caress that guy forever

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mllaneza posted:

I'm filing them offline.

wtf

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

schweens posted:

Here's a cool article on Yannick Ngakoue who I totally knew about before 15 minutes ago:
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/12/15/16778592/yannick-ngakoue-jaguars-defense

Yannick is good

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

schweens posted:

lmao that first gif of gabbert

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

schweens posted:

Thanks for sharing this, I have been a big fan of his thus far, may even buy his jersey if NFL shop ever stops making GBS threads its pants.

hifi posted:

lmao that first gif of gabbert
It was so great because it got Calais Campbell his first TD on the fumble return. Then the Jaguars outsmarted themselves on the last drive and the refs were loving stupid and the Jaguars lost the game.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

TheChirurgeon posted:

Thanks for reposting that!

The last time I saw it reposted I knew I had to save a copy. It's still one of the funniest posts I've seen on this here web forum. Tickled pink I had a chance to repost it myself.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I don't understand when teams allow game-wrecking players to walk in favor of cap space. That maybe due to me watching the Steelers' draft and develop your own stars for 23 years, and associating that with sustained success. The only team that doesnt suffer mightily from roster turnover, particularly the loss of their stars is the Belichick era Patriots.

Cap fuckery is a hell of a lot easier than replacing Aaron Donald

It will be interesting to see how the Steelers fit Le'veon Bell and a rookie class with 1.6m projected cap room next year. I hope TheChirurgeon does Salary Cap breakdowns again this year.

The Rams have 46m in pending cap space right now. Aaron Donald is not a free agent next year, the Rams picked up his year 5 option, but I think he will hold out again and play his 10 games for credit if he doesn't get a new contract this offseason. They can also cut Robert Quinn and Tavon Austin for an extra 15m in cap room next year.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

It will be interesting to see how the Steelers fit Le'veon Bell and a rookie class with 1.6m projected cap room next year. I hope TheChirurgeon does Salary Cap breakdowns again this year.

The Steelers have something ridiculous like $25m in roster bonuses on the books for next year, so they probably just turn them all into signing bonuses and move those cap hits down over the next few years.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DariusLikewise posted:

The Rams have 46m in pending cap space right now. Aaron Donald is not a free agent next year, the Rams picked up his year 5 option, but I think he will hold out again and play his 10 games for credit if he doesn't get a new contract this offseason. They can also cut Robert Quinn and Tavon Austin for an extra 15m in cap room next year.
Giving Tavon Austin that much money should be a fireable offense. According to OTC he is a 5mil dead cap hit but would save 3mil. Who is Kayvon Webster and why is he earning 3.5m next year? Also lol at Mark Barron making 10m - did he turn out to not be utter poo poo or something?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kalli posted:

The Steelers have something ridiculous like $25m in roster bonuses on the books for next year, so they probably just turn them all into signing bonuses and move those cap hits down over the next few years.

Wasn't this how the Saints got into cap hell?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

Wasn't this how the Saints got into cap hell?

It's how the Steelers have always operated like D-Link said. They pay their guys and don't go into free agency all that much, so they tend to always have some over the hill dude making way too much money, but it mostly works out fine because you can handle an unmovable bad contract, just not a bunch of them.

The Saints just kept jumping to make giant free agency splashes when their roster was in no shape to do that, and giving everyone awful contract extensions to be able to afford it.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Giving Tavon Austin that much money should be a fireable offense. According to OTC he is a 5mil dead cap hit but would save 3mil. Who is Kayvon Webster and why is he earning 3.5m next year? Also lol at Mark Barron making 10m - did he turn out to not be utter poo poo or something?

The Tavon contract is awful, he basically scored every touchdown for the Rams in 2015 and they panic-signed him. He's been mostly just a decoy this year for jet sweeps and reverses which is working pretty well for the Rams, but they could use any small, fast WR or RB in the same role and it would be the same. I can't see him around after this year.

Kayvon Webster was their no. 2 corner the whole year and he's actually been a bargain signing(they signed off the Broncos this past year), but he tore his Achilles against the Eagles and won't be the same when it's healed.

Mark Barron has played linebacker since getting traded to the Rams and consistently has graded out as one of the best run-stopping linebackers in the NFL somehow. There was a decent market for him last year in free agency so they had to pay a bit to keep him around, but they have Barron and Ogletree locked up at MLB in the 3-4 for at least 5 years.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Guys I can't even focus on work because I keep thinking about the game tomorrow and oh god I'm nervous

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Our DC referred to the prospect of playing the Rams without Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright as an "awesome challenge," which I guess is certainly one way to put it, if only because you can't use the phrase "we're hosed" to the media as a professional football coach

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
N: To the surprise of absolutely no one, yesterday's ratings for TNF are a season low
V: lol

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

piss tape israel posted:

N: To the surprise of absolutely no one, yesterday's ratings for TNF are a season low
V: lol
This is why Jaguars-Titans was not even on TNF this year.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Thursday night football is trash and nobody wants it.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

kiimo posted:

Thursday night football is trash and nobody wants it.

I want TNF. But I want TNF to not be trash :thunk:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

weird Asian candy posted:

I want TNF. But I want TNF to not be trash :thunk:

Not possible unless you work it around BYE weeks.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, TNF would be fine if the season was a week longer, everyone had 2 bye weeks, and every TNF team had a bye the week before. as is, it's an awful mess, and I think we've had a player get stretchered every week this last month which is horrifying.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I am pretty desperate to be rid of TNF considering it basically wrecked my team, although you could argue Sherman tearing his Achilles was inevitable it's possible we'd still have Kam at the very least. More than that, as we've discussed ad nauseum basically it's just poo poo football and it's a very obvious sign of the NFL's milking the product for every last red cent

I mean with the same line of logic even Thursday games for college, which owned but have been excised to make room for the NFL, aren't very safe either but at the very least they have an extra day to rest and prepare compared to the NFL

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Athanatos posted:

Not possible unless you work it around BYE weeks.

I am in favor of that, yes.

Kalli posted:

Yeah, TNF would be fine if the season was a week longer, everyone had 2 bye weeks, and every TNF team had a bye the week before. as is, it's an awful mess, and I think we've had a player get stretchered every week this last month which is horrifying.

This sounds like a pretty great work around to me.

I like football on my TV, so I am good with TNF, but I do think it needs to get all of its horrible wrinkles ironed out.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't like TNF because I like doing other poo poo during the week and one day and two evenings of football is sufficient for me. So I miss TNF all the time unless it's the Packers.

The NFL's strength as a product, compared to other sports, is its relative scarcity. Every single game, every play is valuable and meaningful. If I have football on all the time then I stop caring as much about it. When it was strictly a Sunday sport, with big marquee games on Monday Night, then it was really great and cool.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

NFL should look at the new CFL schedule that was just released for 2018, 18 week season with 3 bye weeks. Games are played on Thrus-Sat, but they made sure every team had at least 7 days rest between games. Logistically it would be harder for a 32 team league vs. the 9 team league, but the NFL has billions in profits to hire the best schedulers.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
TNF during thanksgiving and kickoff week 1 are cool and good

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

a neat cape posted:

TNF during thanksgiving and kickoff week 1 are cool and good
Agreed. Thanksgiving is covered under the "Teams playing on a Thursday should get a bye the week beforehand".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The season kickoff game is also real good, and isn't a problem.

• Locked thread