Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Dongattack posted:

loving ultralol at VR "exclusives", yeah let me just buy ANOTHER 900 euro VR headset to play janky piss-titles such as Fallout 4 VR and LA Noire VR. I hope both companies give up this exclusive stuff eventually.

This one has a hardware check in the actual game to lock out the Rift which is pretty hosed up. Bethesda I can understand since they have their squabble with Oculus but why rockstar? Is HTC paying companies more than they would get from rift owners buying their game? Obviously the question of them wanting to grow the VR community is out since they obviously are trying to fragment it but what do they have to gain from not letting a portion of VRV players not buy their game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

rio posted:

This one has a hardware check in the actual game to lock out the Rift which is pretty hosed up. Bethesda I can understand since they have their squabble with Oculus but why rockstar? Is HTC paying companies more than they would get from rift owners buying their game? Obviously the question of them wanting to grow the VR community is out since they obviously are trying to fragment it but what do they have to gain from not letting a portion of VRV players not buy their game?

They want people getting into VR now to weigh their options based on what's available between the two platforms. That's all there is to it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

How does that benefit Rockstar in any way?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
As if anyone buying a VR HMD gives a poo poo what platform L.A. Noir works on. Maybe if it was GTA V VR.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

How does that benefit Rockstar in any way?

Dumptruck full of money from HTC I guess, but while it might offset the sales (VR-only still don't sell high volume) I'm not so sure it'll offset the bad press. Someone at Rockstar must have thought the math added up though.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I'm not a fan of exclusives, but watching Rift owners complain about them is all kinds of amusing.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Bremen posted:

I'm not a fan of exclusives, but watching Rift owners complain about them is all kinds of amusing.

Haha yeah, cause when i decided which VR headset to buy last year i chose the Oculus Rift specifically to gently caress over Vive users with exclusives. Go gently caress yourself with this console warrior poo poo :jerkbag:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Dongattack posted:

Haha yeah, cause when i decided which VR headset to buy last year i chose the Oculus Rift specifically to gently caress over Vive users with exclusives. Go gently caress yourself with this console warrior poo poo :jerkbag:

Jesus, calm down. It's amusing because when it happened to Vive, lots of Oculus users were quick to say "Well, if Oculus wasn't funding the games, then Vive users wouldn't be able to play them anyways." Like I said, I don't support them, it's just after going through it myself it would take a better person not to feel at least a little schadenfreude.

Edit: To be fair, a lot of Rift users joined Vive users in protest of exclusivity. But a lot supported Oculus too, and now the shoe is just on the other foot.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 15, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's interesting is, at this point, I think the majority of Rift owners weren't around to be a part of that particular pissing contest.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Bremen posted:

Jesus, calm down. It's amusing because when it happened to Vive, lots of Oculus users were quick to say "Well, if Oculus wasn't funding the games, then Vive users wouldn't be able to play them anyways." Like I said, I don't support them, it's just after going through it myself it would take a better person not to feel at least a little schadenfreude.

You posted something to rile up Rift users and now for some reason you are surprised that you riled up one?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
vive rulez, rift droolz

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I think the implication was those *other* rift users (ie reddit). we are all chill and friends here.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Bremen posted:

Edit: To be fair, a lot of Rift users joined Vive users in protest of exclusivity. But a lot supported Oculus too, and now the shoe is just on the other foot.

Is it the case that HTC actually funded the development of L.A. Noir though?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

The Walrus posted:

I think the implication was those *other* rift users (ie reddit). we are all chill and friends here.

Excuse me sir i think you will find that i am melting down. But nah, i'm not actually THAT upset about it. Just think it's real worrisome, i can handle exclusives for consoles kinda cause it's a lot less money. But exclusives for something as expensive as VR headsets feels really lovely and if it starts being the norm thats gonna be horrid.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Seashell Salesman posted:

Is it the case that HTC actually funded the development of L.A. Noir though?

Seems to be a lot of speculation about it on reddit. A lot of people on the Oculus subreddit are claiming this must be proof (and HTC does fund a lot of VR game development, so it isn't impossible). OTOH, I also remember with Google Earth VR where they just hardware locked it to the Vive until they added actual support and tested it with the Rift and touch controllers.

At this point I wouldn't put money on either.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Dongattack posted:

Excuse me sir i think you will find that i am melting down. But nah, i'm not actually THAT upset about it. Just think it's real worrisome

I seriously doubt this is an exclusive. Developing for the second headset is not free, and the developers probably just didn't have time\money in the budget. I bet in a couple of weeks it will work flawlessly on the Rift (since they don't have a beef with Oculus unlike Bethesda). Don't forget a year ago and 3 months there was no touch on Rift, and the until the last quarter the Rift w/ touch numbers were tiny compared to Vive. Also probably doesn't work on SteamVR/Windows Mixed reality.

TL:DR I believe they developed for one platform - SteamVR with Vive and did not account for SteamVR w Rift, but they'll get there.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Bremen posted:

Seems to be a lot of speculation about it on reddit. A lot of people on the Oculus subreddit are claiming this must be proof (and HTC does fund a lot of VR game development, so it isn't impossible). OTOH, I also remember with Google Earth VR where they just hardware locked it to the Vive until they added actual support and tested it with the Rift and touch controllers.

At this point I wouldn't put money on either.

I'm trying to tease apart "paid for exclusive for something that was happening anyway" and "paid for something that otherwise wouldn't have been made." I think that's a useful distinction when talking about what's good for the ecosystem and what's bad.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Dongattack posted:

i hear the rift uses the wrong kind of ram

Stick100 posted:

I seriously doubt this is an exclusive. Developing for the second headset is not free, and the developers probably just didn't have time\money in the budget. I bet in a couple of weeks it will work flawlessly on the Rift (since they don't have a beef with Oculus unlike Bethesda). Don't forget a year ago and 3 months there was no touch on Rift, and the until the last quarter the Rift w/ touch numbers were tiny compared to Vive. Also probably doesn't work on SteamVR/Windows Mixed reality.

TL:DR I believe they developed for one platform - SteamVR with Vive and did not account for SteamVR w Rift, but they'll get there.

The game is hardlocked to prevent Rift and WMR headsets from working. That's not something that happens by accident.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I guess I came into it too late to se what makes so many Vive users straight up aggressive towards Rift users. Not here but on Reddit (which has been a necessary evil for me since there is so much info there) some of them are vicious in how they defend Vive exclusives and defend Fallout being poo poo because Rift owners don’t deserve to have a good input method and all that due to the Oculus having so many exclusives on the past. Having only gotten the Rift in late November I didn’t realize there was such a battle and vitriol being spouted. It
is kind of funny but it also sucks - we are all using a pc so this is not like ps4vr vs. a hypothetical Xbox vr in a console war - it seems absurd to fragment the market when it is so small and ps4vr alone outnumbers all of the pc vr headsets, and also very shortsighted since I doubt any major company is going to be making serious profit off of vr pc releases.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's literally "Defend Your Purchase" territory.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

rio posted:

I guess I came into it too late to se what makes so many Vive users straight up aggressive towards Rift users. Not here but on Reddit (which has been a necessary evil for me since there is so much info there) some of them are vicious in how they defend Vive exclusives and defend Fallout being poo poo because Rift owners don’t deserve to have a good input method and all that due to the Oculus having so many exclusives on the past. Having only gotten the Rift in late November I didn’t realize there was such a battle and vitriol being spouted. It
is kind of funny but it also sucks - we are all using a pc so this is not like ps4vr vs. a hypothetical Xbox vr in a console war - it seems absurd to fragment the market when it is so small and ps4vr alone outnumbers all of the pc vr headsets, and also very shortsighted since I doubt any major company is going to be making serious profit off of vr pc releases.

Spending that much money on something "frivolous" (depends on how you classify entertainment goods) makes brokebrain consumers twist over backwards in literal insanity, popping their head out between their legs going "m-my purchase is j-justified!" at anything they can grasp on to. In reality the two headsets are almost identical and nobody itt or on reddit had any say in exclusives being a thing.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

rio posted:

It's not really in the past for Oculus either; you need Revive to play Oculus exclusives, some still don't work, and they're designed for Oculus controls. That's more or less just the situation Rift users are in now; FO4 and Doom are playable with the Rift, but poorly designed for them, and while La Noire doesn't currently work I strongly suspect there will be a Revive equivalent out soonish (and/or the devs will just say 'we didn't have time to get it working well with the Rift so we blocked it, but we'll take it off; play at your own risk")

And yeah, I'm not defending it. Speaking as a long term Vive user, it sucks and it's bad for VR as a whole, and I wish it would all just go away but I don't see it happening.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Stick100 posted:

There's already a mod that fixes the scope (makes it display all the time).

Yeah, I cant get that one to work. I've got radio mods and some quality of life ones going, but the new scopes wont actually show up on the weapon models. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Klisejo posted:

Yeah, I cant get that one to work. I've got radio mods and some quality of life ones going, but the new scopes wont actually show up on the weapon models. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Archive invalidation?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah, much like with the Oculus Exclusive (which are still Oculus Exclusive, even now) there will almost assuredly be a third party app that breaks that exclusivity pretty quick.

It sucks that this is what it comes down to. Oculus started it and they are still doing it, but HTC seems intent on being even more of a dick about it than they were, and we all lose because of it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Actually looks like the Revive guy just now released a 3rd party app that breaks the exclusivity on LA Noire.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
That guy - he is both cool and good.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Bremen posted:

Actually looks like the Revive guy just now released a 3rd party app that breaks the exclusivity on LA Noire.

Good. I don't have a rift, but good.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Link for anyone interested in it:
https://github.com/LibreVR/openvr/releases/tag/spoof-v1

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Seashell Salesman posted:

Archive invalidation?

I think it's nexus mod manager actually. I'm blowing away the nmm install and starting over. Some other mods aren't working and I'm seeing missing files in the data folders.

edit: yep, it was nmm. Manually installed and got it working.

Klisejo fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 16, 2017

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Klisejo posted:

I think it's nexus mod manager actually. I'm blowing away the nmm install and starting over. Some other mods aren't working and I'm seeing missing files in the data folders.

edit: yep, it was nmm. Manually installed and got it working.

I think if you want NMM or MO to work you'd have to redirect the config file paths they expect with symlinks.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

This improved fix sounds like it might work better for FO4 Rift.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
What's the verdict on the actual game?? Also has anyone played The Unspoken's single player chapter yet?

Regarding the exclusivity thing, I've always only been interested in rift for a variety of reasons relating to the hardware itself, but Oculus was genuinely lovely in the beginning when they did stuff like try actively and block ReVive (briefly). They also completely failed to effectively communicate the reason they weren't supporting Vive on their platform (it is apparently due to their reluctance to have to support hardware where they couldn't implement their full SDK with its performance advantages or whatever). They did themselves serious harm with that approach so they decided to open up and stop being quite so lovely.

Pretty funny that HTC etc. are striking back now that they have some high value content they can weaponise. I wonder if it'll work better for them than it did for oculus.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

El Grillo posted:

I wonder if it'll work better for them than it did for oculus.

Nope. Because people are buying rifts for 350 not vives for 499-599. All its doing it making a mess of poo poo on the PC side for no reason. Cunts being cunts.

Now, I am trying to be positive about it and assume its like the google earth thing. Its rockstar, I cannot imagine them being jerks about that. They are one of those companies that want there poo poo everywhere so how weird would that be?

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 16, 2017

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

I think most people getting into VR have no idea that there are exclusives or which game is where. Talking about this stuff at work to my colleagues who are all professional developers and avid PC gamers none of them knew about the exclusives or that the Rift controllers were called Touch, that they were different from the Vive wands etc. Demoing stuff at the Microsoft store those guys just tell everyone that you can play anything anywhere, at worst needing to use ReVive. I don't know who the consumer is that these marketing guys think knows about the exclusives and then chooses one HMD or another based on it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Anyone else playing Fallout 4 VR feel the pipboy map scrolls the opposite way to how you use the wand touchpad? Of all the janky shoehorned-into-VR controls the game has, this one is bugging me the most :o:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It's also a thing that doesn't really exist on steam. If you have a beefy rig you expect to be able to play anything. It's all hardware capability limits. My PS4 controller works fine for games made for 360 controller as they have the same number of buttons.

It's a little different when your are on the Oculus store. That's pretty clear just like the HTC or Sony store.

If they put robo recall on steam and didn't make it vive compatible it'd be just as dumb.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Should I pick up Killing Floor Incursion on the Oculus Winter Sale? I was going to get Arizona Sunshine, but reviews mention it’s short and there’s no real replay value except the wave mode.

Anyone try Skyworld?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

FuzzySlippers posted:

This hugely improves using menus. I would recommend only turning the touchpad emulation on for your right controller (or left if you are left-handed), since the hack here will make it so that when walking you can still accelerate smoothly from standing still to running, but moving the stick back towards neutral won't do anything until you actually hit neutral. In other words you can't slow down without stopping. It's no worse than playing with a KB+M but if you like the analog movement control then you don't want touchpad emulation on your left controller. I still put the deadzone fix on my left controller to make opening pip-boy etc. easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

FuzzySlippers posted:

Signal boosting this, I ran this tonight with the TAA tinker and it's made a huge difference. The sensitivity in the menus is still pretty high so it's easy to overshoot things, but you get used to making little adjustments easily. It's night and day, I don't fear inventory management anymore since I can get what I want pretty quickly. Once again, it's modders to the rescue.