Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Internet Explorer posted:

I.... what?

Fill out the form?

Already did, 3 hours ago. I guess I'm just kind of shocked this is their level of support? Sorry for coming off so mad but I'm just banging my head against my desk right now waiting on a drat email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Seems like their number might be (206) 428-6030 and they have a 24/7 live chat support - https://help.bittitan.com/hc/en-us/articles/115008260268-Do-you-offer-Live-Chat-support-

It's not all that abnormal for a domain to be "locked" to an account. I've been in a similar situation with a ton of software. I would assume it's a planned email migration and you are just in the beginning phases of it, so I'd hope something you could wait a few hours on? Not trying to be snarky, just seems like a weird problem decide "I'm no longer doing business with these people" on. Especially when you generally hear good things about them. I've used them for quite a few migrations and have been happy.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

Seems like their number might be (206) 428-6030 and they have a 24/7 live chat support - https://help.bittitan.com/hc/en-us/articles/115008260268-Do-you-offer-Live-Chat-support-

It's not all that abnormal for a domain to be "locked" to an account. I've been in a similar situation with a ton of software. I would assume it's a planned email migration and you are just in the beginning phases of it, so I'd hope something you could wait a few hours on? Not trying to be snarky, just seems like a weird problem decide "I'm no longer doing business with these people" on. Especially when you generally hear good things about them. I've used them for quite a few migrations and have been happy.

I think that was just frustration. I'm trying to lay the groundwork for the migration and I've used them before and been quite happy too, I just never needed their support until now. No snark taken.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've had no issues with their support, and the product has worked every time I've used it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Matt Zerella posted:

Are there any alternatives to MigrationWiz for a Gsuite to O365 migration?

I loving hate the poo poo out of bittitan.

Basically I want to move mail/contacts/calendar/gdrive stuff (no team drives) over to O365.

IT management and senior leadership here is pushing us in the other direction, O365 to Gsuite. What were the key decision points for ya'll doing this? We only really use O365 for email, we turned off OneDrive/SharePoint/everything else pretty much, and we hate Microsoft's calendaring.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Having access to the Office suite through O365, not just email, is generally a great thing for companies. Less headache to keep track of licensing and especially nice for the IT guys that get to do the audits.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Yep. Office suite is the big thing.

Gsuite is fine but it's definitely got a few quirks. Gdrive is kind of a loving nightmare too.

Also, had a chat with my boss and it looks like I'll be entering the job market in the new year. This was my first job and I've been here for 11 years. This is exciting and terrifying.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

Also, had a chat with my boss and it looks like I'll be entering the job market in the new year. This was my first job and I've been here for 11 years. This is exciting and terrifying.

Good luck man. New jobs are scary.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Anybody have any good resources for ERP comparisons? I'm going to have to dive into this beast of a project in the first half of 2018 to get some plans together for the company moving forward and I have no idea where to start

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Start off by jumping off a cliff.

That sounds extremely terrible.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Anybody have any good resources for ERP comparisons? I'm going to have to dive into this beast of a project in the first half of 2018 to get some plans together for the company moving forward and I have no idea where to start

Erotic Roleplay comparisons? That's a hell of a project, but if that's what your company wants...

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Start off by jumping off a cliff.

That sounds extremely terrible.

Well my thought on it is this:

1) I can put 'full ERP reimplementation' on my resume, which is good.
2) Our SAP system in place is from, literally, the 90s so it can't get any worse than what we have

related: best booze to drink on the job.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Kashuno posted:

How big is your org? You'll likely have to do your own comparisons via RFI etc on your departmental requirements. I'd start with as is process maps.

Edit: You'll need single malt for this, Lagavulin should cut it.

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 14, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Start calling consultant companies to place bids. Hire the one that blows you the best.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Cirofren posted:

as is process maps.
As someone who is currently having ITIL poorly thrust upon his department, TRIGGERED.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenNight posted:

Start calling consultant companies to place bids. Hire the one that blows you the best.

No, no that is amateur stuff. You need to let them show their business strengths; Bring all the representatives into a single meeting, tell them you'll deal with the last man standing, then step out and lock the door behind you.

Pro-tip: Always bet large on the man with the metal briefcase.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, no that is amateur stuff. You need to let them show their business strengths; Bring all the representatives into a single meeting, tell them you'll deal with the last man standing, then step out and lock the door behind you.

Pro-tip: Always bet large on the man with the metal briefcase.

This guy was a VEEAM rep for the Pacific Northwest for a while.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qfU-qv9nnAk

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kashuno posted:

What industry sector are you in? I have about 6 years of automotive IT experience, with 4 years of those directly administering an ERP system.

There's a lot of factors that go into an ERP system, like size of your business, industry sector, interface requirements (EDI for example).

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cirofren posted:

How big is your org? You'll likely have to do your own comparisons via RFI etc on your departmental requirements. I'd start with as is process maps.

Edit: You'll need single malt for this, Lagavulin should cut it.

Vargatron posted:

What industry sector are you in? I have about 6 years of automotive IT experience, with 4 years of those directly administering an ERP system.

There's a lot of factors that go into an ERP system, like size of your business, industry sector, interface requirements (EDI for example).

We're about 300 or so total users between office and warehouse at a few locations. We're a seafood distributor/processor so we aren't especially large. EDI will end up being a huge piece. Process maps definitely sound like a good place to start. Thanks for the talking points folks :)

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kashuno posted:

We're about 300 or so total users between office and warehouse at a few locations. We're a seafood distributor/processor so we aren't especially large. EDI will end up being a huge piece. Process maps definitely sound like a good place to start. Thanks for the talking points folks :)

I'm assuming you're a senior level IT person at your job, because you're going to need leverage with management to get an ERP implementation done. This is a company wide project, not an IT one. If it's viewed as an IT project then all of the failures will be stuck to your group.

I would start out by doing something like a value stream map (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_stream_mapping) to get a picture of your overall business process and then start doing individual maps of each step. Receiving and Shipping are generally the beginning and end of material flows, but you'll have things like order entry and accounts receivable occurring along with that.

What kind of team and resource availability will you have, along with budget?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

I'm assuming you're a senior level IT person at your job, because you're going to need leverage with management to get an ERP implementation done. This is a company wide project, not an IT one. If it's viewed as an IT project then all of the failures will be stuck to your group.

I would start out by doing something like a value stream map (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_stream_mapping) to get a picture of your overall business process and then start doing individual maps of each step. Receiving and Shipping are generally the beginning and end of material flows, but you'll have things like order entry and accounts receivable occurring along with that.

What kind of team and resource availability will you have, along with budget?

I am a vastly underqualified IT Director so I do have some sway with all of the management team. Luckily, this project was basically brought on by an off-site senior management/executive meeting regarding things we can do to make the business improve, and "Our loving ERP is old" was a constant point of contention so I was able to pretty easily convince the C-levels that whatever it costs is worth the investment. At this point in the process, the re-implementation is going to be a FY2019 project so we aren't at the point of discussing team/resource/budget. I've only been in this role for a couple weeks, so it'll be a long term project to get a full understanding of the process (I understand the general 'customer wants this' to 'we shipped this' process, but the smaller points of things aren't in my view at the moment)

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Today is our ugly christmas sweater day at work and I'm walking around with this

https://www.amazon.com/Ugly-Christmas-Sweater-Hooded-Reindeer/dp/B01LXRPN56

It's a huge hit, even the tax attorneys that are normally really cold to our division are laughing about it. 5 stars

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Sepist posted:

Today is our ugly christmas sweater day at work and I'm walking around with this

It's a huge hit, even the tax attorneys that are normally really cold to our division are laughing about it. 5 stars

tonight is our Christmas party, but I peaked too early on Wednesday when I wore this:
https://www.killstar.com/collections/clothing-womens-sweaters-knits/products/purr-hexmas-knit-sweater-b

Then again, everyone is now walking around the office wearing this because it was cheap:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PlayStatio...YDC3580PNT69DNH

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sepist posted:

Just ordered one, tyvm

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Well, our ticketing/task management system and internal intranet went down due to third party vendor issues.

So... guess we're not getting any work done for the rest of the day.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Well, our ticketing/task management system and internal intranet went down due to third party vendor issues.

:cheers:

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Nice, I'm gonna do that for christmas. Third party vendor issues..

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I took off next week and then our office is closed till new years. Plus hardly anyone showed up the rest of this week after our holiday party so its dead af.

Its gonna be a nice long break.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I get to go climb a water tower in the snow because Verizon has no loving clue what circuits they own or if they exist. :sigh:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

For real. Just had a performance review too, which was full of praise!

Which lemme tell you is real nice to hear in your first IT job. No raise though, which undercuts the otherwise lovely compliments slightly.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Yay :sigh: I get to figure out what I want to do in IT besides being a generalist cause it's getting me nowhere and I need the pay bump very badly.

I really don't lean towards anything but "Is my network trying to get to best practices and is not horribly broken in some fashion?". I'm OK at most junior sysadmin junk but so far that hasn't got me more than 45k\yr in my city. I can't relocate and I feel unqualified for a lot of better stuff. It also doesn't help I'm paying $600\mo in benefits for my family but a 40 yr old helpdesk\wannabe junior admin is kind of deflating for where my career is headed.

Hi. I'm career depressed. How are you?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm pretty good. I'm about 1 month from my first annual review at my first "real" IT job, and I'm starting to study Security poo poo with an eye to moving to the security team when it's expanded (god knows when that will be though).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Irritated Goat posted:

I just got notice of a 5% raise and an 8% bonus, so I'm doing great.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I am tired and think management sucks!!!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Irritated Goat posted:

I feel unqualified for a lot of better stuff.
With respect: if you ever take a job you're actually qualified for, it's a step sideways and not something to grow into.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Irritated Goat posted:

Yay :sigh: I get to figure out what I want to do in IT besides being a generalist cause it's getting me nowhere and I need the pay bump very badly.

I really don't lean towards anything but "Is my network trying to get to best practices and is not horribly broken in some fashion?". I'm OK at most junior sysadmin junk but so far that hasn't got me more than 45k\yr in my city. I can't relocate and I feel unqualified for a lot of better stuff. It also doesn't help I'm paying $600\mo in benefits for my family but a 40 yr old helpdesk\wannabe junior admin is kind of deflating for where my career is headed.

apply for the better stuff even if you feel unqualified. worst that can happen is they say no

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Just got my Christmas holiday bonus... it's less than I was hoping and less than I was expecting. I guess it's some extra money.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

With respect: if you ever take a job you're actually qualified for, it's a step sideways and not something to grow into.

Basically this. Try and always step up, rather than step laterally.

e: I recently did the lateral step for a marginal pay increase simply to get away from my old company. It feels pretty bad to just go "aaaand doing everything I already did anyways...."

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

This is literally first job that I've felt qualified for and I did a lateral move for the same money. Gotta take that risk if you want the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Joining a new team, I'm in a meeting with developers who are discussing a feature that the customer demanded, but we all know they're going to hate once they get it, so they're planning to make the feature really easy to turn off.

This is gonna be a weird job I think.