Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think Adam-X, the X-Treme could do that, dude.

I forgot what Gabriel can do. Looking it up, he was a "past omega level" energy manipulator who could do nearly anything. I think the reality bending stuff I got from a youtube series called "Beyond Omega Level" which talks about super strong characters and talked about what he could theoretically do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only thing theoretical about EMPEROR VULCAN! is that theoretically someday I guess he could be in a good comic. But it's so unlikely that it's not really worth trying.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

rantmo posted:

Gambit and Adam X, the X-Treme.

Gambit is a clone of sinister

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Skwirl posted:

That's not really what I'd use to introduce him to it.

If you can find it for a reasonable price, the old 50 Years of X-Men disc is worth it. It only covers Uncanny, but it is all the Annuals and Giant Sized Issues up until the mid 00s. It's how I first read all the Claremont stuff originally, since as a kid I started reading just after that originally. My first issues were X-Force #2, X-Men #1, & Uncanny #281, and somehow I thought that was cool enough to make me want to keep on getting comics.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is vulcan still in the space hole

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is vulcan still in the space hole

Most importantly he's in a memory hole. Hopefully for good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Most importantly he's in a memory hole. Hopefully for good.

I bet he shows up during Infinity WHATEVER.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

bobkatt013 posted:

Gambit is a clone of sinister

Well yeah, now.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

My best Gambit memory is when I was playing Magic with a bunch of friends and one of them threw a bunch of basic land cards in another's face while yelling "MON AMI!"

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I hope Gabriel Summers gets introduced into the Marvel Cinematic Universe when Disney buys Fox or whatever.

I'm still disappointed that Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire was such a long, poorly paced and boring storyline.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Just read Astonishing #6, dunno how many weeks old it is by now. Loved it, though (and I know I risk ire here) I can't stand Del Mundo's art in comics. Makes for nice covers, would look great airbrushed onto a panel van, just doesn't do it for me in little panels that are supposed to convey motion. I'd almost say I like the art in Gen X better. Almost.
So am I reading this correctly when I say the ending was (and I'll spoiler this in case you're like me and always behind; this is the kind of thing you should read firsthand) the "spirit" or whatever of Xavier taking over Fantomex's body with the latter's consent, basically overwriting him? I am... not sure how I feel about that. Fantomex was never my favourite character, but I feel like Xavier being dead was the kind of death that should have been allowed to stick, the X-Men no longer requiring their "creator" to guide them anymore.

Also caught up on Jean Grey, and while it wasn't going in the direction I'd been hoping, it's still the best of the new solo series so I'm disappointed it's ending so soon. Plus, well, I'm one of the three card-carrying Hope Summers fans, and Hope was written exactly how she should have always been since the Cable series she was introduced in. If it was my call, I'd depower her boring power-mimic ability and make her whole thing "teenage girl raised by Cable, has the power of flying motorcycle, hacking into global spy networks, and Liefeldian firearms".

And Quire is like the easiest character to gently caress up, or should I say one of the hardest characters to write. He should be an arrogant dickhead, but you have to keep him funny. I loved him in WatXM, and didn't in WatXM vol 2. Again, I think this Jean Grey series has a pretty good handle on him.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

X-O posted:

The only thing theoretical about EMPEROR VULCAN! is that theoretically someday I guess he could be in a good comic. But it's so unlikely that it's not really worth trying.

I liked Emperor Vulcan as a rat bastard villain who was like a character from Warhammer 40K who just stepped into the Marvel Universe. Then again I thought War of Kings was great which is a controversial opinion around these parts.

The main part I missed from it was where Black Bolt and Vulcan got blown up by the mega Terrigensis bomb in the hole in the universe and how Black Bolt just came back later on because Jonathan Hickman needed him back.

I would have loved it if they did the Transformers story with Ratchet and Megatron* only with BB and Vulcan instead.

* = Basically Ratchet sacrificed himself by blowing up a ship that he and Megatron was on. Years later they come back as this merged monster.
The Autobots are begging Optimus to put this monster out of its misery, which he refuses to do. He later finds out that they are capable of splitting Ratchet from Megatron, but only if they save them both as they were now molecularly linked. Cool stuff.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Diet Poison posted:

And Quire is like the easiest character to gently caress up, or should I say one of the hardest characters to write. He should be an arrogant dickhead, but you have to keep him funny. I loved him in WatXM, and didn't in WatXM vol 2. Again, I think this Jean Grey series has a pretty good handle on him.

It seems like Quire is the platonic ideal of the sort of character Dennis Hopeless would prefer to be writing, so it works out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of next year's X-Men omnibus collections is going to be "X-Men: Revolution by Chris Claremont" i.e. the soft reboot at the end of the 90s where Claremont returned to Uncanny and adjectiveless (and Wolverine's solo book) for about a year. The age of stuff like the Neo etc. Odd choice in my view but Claremont's name is obviously what will sell it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of next year's X-Men omnibus collections is going to be "X-Men: Revolution by Chris Claremont" i.e. the soft reboot at the end of the 90s where Claremont returned to Uncanny and adjectiveless (and Wolverine's solo book) for about a year. The age of stuff like the Neo etc. Odd choice in my view but Claremont's name is obviously what will sell it.

As someone who loves X-Men specifically because of his first run but never read any of that, would it be worth getting? Or is it just his name selling it and it wasn't actually worth it? How was the art for that stuff?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

davebo posted:

As someone who loves X-Men specifically because of his first run but never read any of that, would it be worth getting? Or is it just his name selling it and it wasn't actually worth it? How was the art for that stuff?
The writing wasn't terribly good tbh, the art was (I think) Alan Davis, with Salvador Larocca later.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

davebo posted:

It's not good at all

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'd much rather if they continued collecting his original run in omnis.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah it's really not good, but at least it isn't as horrible as X-Treme.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
X-Treme is definitely bad but I think it starts out so promising.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The start of X-treme was ok, and it had a good hook. It just...wasn't very good.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

So Disney just bought back the X-Men film rights, among other things. I guess we'll know whether or not all those rumors and conspiracy theories about the X-Men's place in Marvel were bullshit soon enough.

Kind of hoping we get a 'No, MORE mutants!' out of it.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Scarlet Witch uses an Infinity Stone to try and bring her brother back, but ends up rewriting reality while also recreating the energies Hydra used to give her and Pietro powers on a global scale, badda bing badda boom mutants

After Agents of SHIELD and Inhumans are cancelled, the Inhumans are never heard from or referenced again in the MCU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I am willing to bet that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver go back to being Magnetos kids again.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I always forget that Claremont is to blame for that whole Neo horseshit. It really was Claremont at his worst, long game planning to no actual end and a lovely nonsense story up to that part.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

The Question IRL posted:

I am willing to bet that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver go back to being Magnetos kids again.

Hey, it's always possible that that retcon was, as Marvel claimed at the time, done purely for creative reasons. Maybe Remender really is enough of a hack to think that the High Evolutionary origin was an improvement.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
I just realized Marvel got the rights back to Kang, The High evolutionary, And Mr Sinister and got really excited again :)

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
On the whole Scalert Witch thing(since I've been in a coma and forgot this was a thing), are Wiccan and Speed still mutants? Or can they just get around that with "They're reincarnations of a machine and not mutant, so idk"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

davebo posted:

I have vaguely nostalgic feelings towards it because that Claremont run and the Alan Davis run before it (which I honestly think is a lot better because Davis basically wrote the X-Men having Excalibur adventures where they had run-ins with Galactus and met mutant Skrulls who formed their own Skrull version of the X-Men) because those were the first X-Men comics I read.

Probably not very good if I went back to them. I think the only really notable events in it are the deaths of Moira MacTaggart and Senator Kelly, which have actually managed to stick for the past 15 years.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Um did they kill OML, Emma, Quire, the cuckoos, and young Jean this week?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Young Jean is super dead, which will last about a month. The others are just unconscious.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BrianWilly posted:

Young Jean is super dead, which will last about a month. The others are just unconscious.

It sure as hell looked like OML git his head blown off with a red murasama bullet though.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

twistedmentat posted:

It sure as hell looked like OML git his head blown off with a red murasama bullet though.

I kind of doubt it's going to stick. "We killed [x]!" leading into a next issue revelation of "Oh, actually, [x] is still alive!" is pretty standard comic book drama.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

twistedmentat posted:

He's apparently enjoying part one of a however many part adventure in Weapon X so I'm sure he'll be fine.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cabbit posted:

I kind of doubt it's going to stick. "We killed [x]!" leading into a next issue revelation of "Oh, actually, [x] is still alive!" is pretty standard comic book drama.

Yea, his head is completely gone, so I dunno. We'll see!

Though my thought since they said Jean was coming back, my assumption has been that young Jean and Old Jean were going to merge, and I'm thinking that's exactly what's going to happen from this.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Looking at the February solicits, Young Jean seems to still a part of X-Men Blue while Old Jean is running X-Men Red, so no I don't think they are merging. Which admittedly is an awfully cynical way to consider upcoming comic book plots, but enh.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

Which comic was this in?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

davebo posted:

Which comic was this in?

All new Wolverine.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
They need to merge the young characters with their older selves or send them back to their own timeline. I just want 1 version of each character in the main continuity especially now that they are going to start appearing in the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Na, that's dumb. Having families of characters is the best thing Marvel took from DC