Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ice Phisherman posted:

The radical middle?
It makes sense. They love the status quo and will murder as many children as it takes to maintain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

See, that's the best part. This was the end of my search. We went through 4 schools over a year and this was by far the best one.

Involved parents can talk to the head teacher about their concerns. If this is just preschool, whatever, but if your kid is here for their school career, they could get severely screwed up by this sort of thing. It's possible to be a religious school without singing about how the liberals are evil. That's messed up.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

if there is a concerted effort to nab black congressmen specifically to i dunno get rid of black people in congress it's a pretty dumb plan because their districts are pretty much all drawn in such a way that they'll just get replaced by another black representative

Idk District 13 might go to a white guy who calls himself Westland's CEO. Someone needs to jump in and fight for our district.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Also I think you're forgetting that if all these people step down you have lots of black/Dem districts without a representative.

And to add to this, it's not like the government and others haven't gone through great lengths to gently caress with and demolish black people in the past.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ooh and then add all the attention black voters have been getting since Doug Jones was elected.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Involved parents can talk to the head teacher about their concerns. If this is just preschool, whatever, but if your kid is here for their school career, they could get severely screwed up by this sort of thing. It's possible to be a religious school without singing about how the liberals are evil. That's messed up.

I've been to their other stuff and they've never done this. This was all pre-show music in the church, btw, once the kids came out they turned it off. Guess I should have made that clearer.

They gave us the music they play in the actual classrooms, it's all "be nice to each other" acoustic guitar stuff. No religious talk. So it was really shocking to me.

Anyway it's just for this year, but I was shocked that anyone would play that kind of thing at a "neutral" event for parents.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Koalas March posted:

Ooh and then add all the attention black voters have been getting since Doug Jones was elected.

I hope I never see a think piece talking about black voter's enthusiasm again. They were all so terrible.

In the end , purging sexual predators from congress is a net positive no matter what Race, but it will be really weird if there is a larger percentage of black politicians outed compared to white ones. it just isn't statistically likely at all.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I hope I never see a think piece talking about black voter's enthusiasm again. They were all so terrible.

In the end , purging sexual predators from congress is a net positive no matter what Race, but it will be really weird if there is a larger percentage of black politicians outed compared to white ones. it just isn't statistically likely at all.

I mean, assuming that black congressmen and white congressmen commit sexual assault at equal rates, the chance that a larger percentage of black politicians are outed is 50%. If it's a much larger percentage then the chance goes down, but merely slightly larger is well within statistical norms. I'd hesitate to draw any conclusions at all from the tiny sample size right now.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I agree. All sexual predators should be removed. I'm not saying I 100% believe that this is a *~*conspiracy*~* but I just feel like a targeted campaign is certainly plausible considering some things that have happened in the past.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Koalas March posted:

I agree. All sexual predators should be removed. I'm not saying I 100% believe that this is a *~*conspiracy*~* but I just feel like a targeted campaign is certainly plausible considering some things that have happened in the past.

Exactly. None of the allegations, current or forthcoming, are going to or have to be falsified. The RWM can just offer that hand, that despite their reputation, at least a few women will go for because "Holy poo poo, someone believes me and didn't call me a whore 5 words in", and they'll just bad faith it to the bank by 'coincidentally' not helping the ones whose predator was white or especially R. And thus with a concentrated effort, they can kill 2 birds in their minds with one stone.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean, assuming that black congressmen and white congressmen commit sexual assault at equal rates, the chance that a larger percentage of black politicians are outed is 50%. If it's a much larger percentage then the chance goes down, but merely slightly larger is well within statistical norms. I'd hesitate to draw any conclusions at all from the tiny sample size right now.

Considering there are only 3 black senators, and 40 something black representatives, the chances of there being more of them ousted is statistically extremely unlikely. Your 50/50 odds idea doesn't work the way you think it does.

Koalas March posted:

I agree that a targeted campaign is not out of the question in today's climate. Hell, I would be surprised if idiots like O'Keefe and Thernovich aren't already trying.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Considering there are only 3 black senators, and 40 something black representatives, the chances of there being more of them ousted is statistically extremely unlikely. Your 50/50 odds idea doesn't work the way you think it does.

You said "percentage". As in, if 5% of all white congresspeople and 5% of all congresspeople get outed, that would be the same percent. If you meant raw numbers then yes it would be quite unlikely to be random.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 15, 2017

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

You said "percentage". As in, if 5% of all white congresspeople and 5% of all congresspeople get outed, that would be the same percent. If you meant raw numbers then yet it would be quite unlikely to be random.

Ahh, you are correct sir. I did indeed say percentage instead of total number. Thanks for the catch.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Playstation 4 posted:

Exactly. None of the allegations, current or forthcoming, are going to or have to be falsified. The RWM can just offer that hand, that despite their reputation, at least a few women will go for because "Holy poo poo, someone believes me and didn't call me a whore 5 words in", and they'll just bad faith it to the bank by 'coincidentally' not helping the ones whose predator was white or especially R. And thus with a concentrated effort, they can kill 2 birds in their minds with one stone.

On the other hand.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

galagazombie posted:

I'm not so sure. With the Catholic Church there was a singular, centralized organization to investigate and direct righteous fury at. The nature of American Evangelicalism makes it real easy to write off the heinous acts of any random micro-denomination as "My Denomination isn't like that!"

Also the catholic church has the weird "you must never have sex with anyone your whole life" rules for priests That probobly both attracts and creates sex weirdos.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Oh boy, a few dipshits wrote a Facebook post.

I don’t think that we should jump to “it might be a conspiracy” just because it’s our team, it reflects badly on how we view sexual misconduct allegations. Could it be a conspiracy? Technically, it is possible. But there’s no evidence to actually suggest that at this point, as far as I know.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Oh boy, a few dipshits wrote a Facebook post.

I don’t think that we should jump to “it might be a conspiracy” just because it’s our team, it reflects badly on how we view sexual misconduct allegations. Could it be a conspiracy? Technically, it is possible. But there’s no evidence to actually suggest that at this point, as far as I know.

I don't think anyone is jumping to it, or speculating because "It's our team" but because this country has a very long history of targeted campaigns against prominent black people. And guess who is in the spotlight right now? Black voters.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Koalas March posted:

I don't think anyone is jumping to it, or speculating because "It's our team" but because this country has a very long history of targeted campaigns against prominent black people. And guess who is in the spotlight right now? Black voters.

Yes, but there’s a ton of politicians being accused, there’s a rumor that WaPo and NYT are working on literally hundreds of stories right now on different politicians.

I acknowledge that the history of white women and black men and sexual misconduct is hosed up and racist but I don’t agree “it’s a conspiracy” is currently a reasonable conclusion based on the evidence.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Yes, but there’s a ton of politicians being accused, there’s a rumor that WaPo and NYT are working on literally hundreds of stories right now on different politicians.

I acknowledge that the history of white women and black men and sexual misconduct is hosed up and racist but I don’t agree “it’s a conspiracy” is currently a reasonable conclusion based on the evidence.

Like I previously said, I don't think anyone is taking it as gospel, but merely speculating that it's plausible an would be unsurprising.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Well, reasonable suspicion and reasonable conclusion are two different things.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I don’t know, it deeply bothers me. People keep bringing up the conspiracy angle in a “just asking questions”fashion and it’s only for Dems. I don’t think it’s right without some kind of actual evidence.

Edit: to be clear, it came up a lot for Franken too.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 15, 2017

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Lightning Knight posted:

If there really are hundreds of politicians who do this, I can see the public really burning out on the stories. If it turns out that half of Congress would have to be fired, that's just not going to happen.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Institutional problems require institutional solutions. Proof that the problem is more than a few bad apples would certainly be a start towards that solution but it'd only be the first step.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I don’t know, it deeply bothers me. People keep bringing up the conspiracy angle in a “just asking questions”fashion and it’s only for Dems. I don’t think it’s right without some kind of actual evidence.

Edit: to be clear, it came up a lot for Franken too.

It's not "for Dems" it's "for" black people. I mean really think about the targeted campaigns against MLK, Malcom X, even Deray and Shaun King, and other civil rights leaders then and now. Think about the Tuskegee experiments and COINTELPRO and poo poo. Think about targeted voter suppression in black communities. Think about the bullshit "literacy tests" and every other hoop this country has made black people go though.

If you can't look at all of that and come to the conclusion it's even %1 plausible, then idk what tell ya

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Also the catholic church has the weird "you must never have sex with anyone your whole life" rules for priests That probobly both attracts and creates sex weirdos.

evangelical churches have no shortage of sex pests

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Eagerly anticipating the end results of some Republican think tank running with the idea that the party with the Pussy-Grabber-In-Chief gives no fucks about, or in some cases actively encouages, sexual harassment and assault while Democrats will call for resignation.

#MeToo should be a redeeming moment for the country, the start of a lifelong process of reworking social dynamics to eliminate toxic masculinity. Instead I'm afraid it will be hijacked by soulless political ghouls that will do anything to remain in power.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Koalas March posted:

It's not "for Dems" it's "for" black people. I mean really think about the targeted campaigns against MLK, Malcom X, even Deray and Shaun King, and other civil rights leaders then and now. Think about the Tuskegee experiments and COINTELPRO and poo poo. Think about targeted voter suppression in black communities. Think about the bullshit "literacy tests" and every other hoop this country has made black people go though.

If you can't look at all of that and come to the conclusion it's even %1 plausible, then idk what tell ya

I already said it’s possible. I just don’t think it’s right to immediately bring it up without a reason to believe it actually is a conspiracy. Is there a reason we should believe these women aren’t credible? If not I don’t see why we should be looking for reasons to discredit them off hand.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of structures of power have a lot of sex problems, but the catholic church has a special added level by adding "also you must never have sex or masturbate ever for your entire life" to really ramp it up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lightning Knight posted:

. Is there a reason we should believe these women aren’t credible? If not I don’t see why we should be looking for reasons to discredit them off hand.

Those are two different things. Each of these women independently can be 100% proven correct via videotape and the release of their stories could still be coordinated (say, by a republican mole in the congressional ethics office.)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Those are two different things. Each of these women independently can be 100% proven correct via videotape and the release of their stories could still be coordinated (say, by a republican mole in the congressional ethics office.)

Do you actually have evidence this is occurring or is this more like :ohdear: what if it happened?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I already said it’s possible. I just don’t think it’s right to immediately bring it up without a reason to believe it actually is a conspiracy. Is there a reason we should believe these women aren’t credible? If not I don’t see why we should be looking for reasons to discredit them off hand.

I'm sorry, I should add I absolutely think these women are credible. Just that the people investigating may not actually give a gently caress about their trauma and are just trying to oust certain folks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lightning Knight posted:

Do you actually have evidence this is occurring or is this more like :ohdear: what if it happened?

No, only the statistical unlikelihood that out of five or so Congress folk and three or so Democrats called out so far, two have been African-American. As I said above I admit i was jumping to conclusions.

I just wanted to be very clear that I was in no way impugning or doubting the accusers.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Koalas March posted:

I'm sorry, I should add I absolutely think these women are credible. Just that the people investigating may not actually give a gently caress about their trauma and are just trying to oust certain folks.

I suppose I can get behind this, do we know anything about the Virginia Pilot? The article seems like fairly standard affair for this type of story, but I’m not familiar with the outlet.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Lightning Knight posted:

I suppose I can get behind this, do we know anything about the Virginia Pilot? The article seems like fairly standard affair for this type of story, but I’m not familiar with the outlet.

It's the dominant daily for the Norfolk/VA Beach metro area. The local conservatives think it's a garbage liberal rag so it's a pretty normal newspaper. They're not out to get Bobby Scott.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Lightning Knight posted:

Playstation 4 posted:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

TheScott2K posted:

It's the dominant daily for the Norfolk/VA Beach metro area. The local conservatives think it's a garbage liberal rag so it's a pretty normal newspaper. They're not out to get Bobby Scott.

This is what I figured based on the tone of the story.

So what then? Like what do you want to do about that? If the claims actually are credible and the person actually is a shitter, what should we do about the fact that right-wingers will benefit from it?

Besides, we've seen what right-wing attempts to push sexual misconduct claims look like, they loving suck at it.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of structures of power have a lot of sex problems, but the catholic church has a special added level by adding "also you must never have sex or masturbate ever for your entire life" to really ramp it up.

the more hardcore fundie churches are basically on the same page there

remember, their post-scopes pre-evolution bugaboo was protesting sex-ed classes in public schools

Lightning Knight posted:

va pilot's legit

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 16, 2017

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Also, Gothard's organization published this:

yeah...

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 16, 2017

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

Well, this is one way to purge Congress.

quote:

Scott's office on Friday provided documents indicating Everson worked in the congressman's office from September 2012 until the summer of 2013 in the first part of a two-year congressional internship. According to Dailey and the documents he provided, she was not fired but was moving on to the second part of her internship.

quote:

Everson's accusations against Scott are similar to accusations she made in a 2011 lawsuit after she was fired from Chicago’s Office of the Inspector General.

The lawsuit claimed Everson rebuffed a proposition by the office’s chief investigator and then was fired in November 2010 for misusing furlough days.

About a year later, Everson filed the lawsuit seeking $50,000 for damages for wrongful termination and defamation. Everson withdrew the suit in 2012 after the defendants moved to have the case dismissed.

quote:

Standing next to Everson on Friday was her lawyer, Jack Burkman, a Republican lobbyist and conservative radio talk-show host. Everson is employed by Burkman’s firm, according to federal disclosure documents. Burkman garnered media attention in 2014 when he announced that he was gathering support for a law to ban gay athletes from the NFL. No related bill ever surfaced in Congress.

On Everson's LinkedIn profile, she says she worked as a "Legislative Counsel/Legislative Fellow" from September 2012 to October 2013.

She also says she is a "Sexual Harassment Expert" and women's rights advocate and that in 2014, she founded a group aimed at ending workplace harassment.
:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Honestly, even if this happened it's kind of hard to say whether it's actually a bad thing in and of itself. Like, under those circumstances the bad thing would be that the crimes of other white politicians aren't being revealed. But if a conservative organization facilitated the release of true accusations of sexual harassment/assault, are they really guilty of anything? Like, even if their motivations were evil, it's still good to reveal this sort of thing. The response should be to expose white politicians who obviously must be doing that stuff with at least the same frequency as their black counterparts.

• Locked thread