Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ShadeofBlue posted:

There’s been some chatter about Grixis Death’s Shadow no longer being good, so printing Wasteland should give it a shot in the arm :).

That's sarcasm, yeah?

It would absolutely wreck DS as a deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Reprint Price of Progress for Modern.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Smashing Link posted:

Reprint Daze for Modern.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The number of flashy Legacy-era staples they've reprinted is like what, 0?

Opt doesn't count.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

AlternateNu posted:

Reprint Daze for Modern.

And back to basics.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Back to Basics would be cool in Modern.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
R&D circa 2016-2017: Strong answers are badwrong

Also R&D circa 2016-2017: We accidentally ruined Standard by printing a Lay of the Land with upside, sorry folks our bad

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The problem is that Standard is totally designed around players not feeling bad when they play their Timmy poo poo without any regard to whether opponent's feel bad.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Don't ban answers in a format that lacks them

not that blood moon should be banned, but it's definitely a threat rather than an answer in general

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JerryLee posted:

R&D circa 2016-2017: Strong answers are badwrong

Also R&D circa 2016-2017: We accidentally ruined Standard by printing a Lay of the Land with upside, sorry folks our bad

R&D circa 2016-2017: Hexproof too powerful

Also R&D circa 2016-2017: Therefore the only time we'll put it on a 4 drop that permanently pumps itself to arbitrary levels is when you have to pay an insanely parasitic non-mana resource to get it

Also Also R&D circa 2016-2017: Also we stapled the parasitic resource onto a bunch of good cards so you'd play it

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 15, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Nobody said R&D was full of smart people.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

not that blood moon should be banned, but it's definitely a threat rather than an answer in general

It's only a threat because of the way Modern has developed. If basic lands mattered more it would be much less effective.

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem is that Standard is totally designed around players not feeling bad when they play their Timmy poo poo without any regard to whether opponent's feel bad.

Of course that means the people who will win are playing the best, strongest Timmy cards so good luck to everything else

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Nobody said R&D was full of smart people.

R&D have said they are full of smart people, actually. They do it all of the time.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

R&D have said they are full of smart people, actually. They do it all of the time.

Shows what I know, then.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Shows what I know, then.

One time [Pro Tour Champion] Gerry Thompson had an internship in R&D and someone in development yelled at him for thinking he was smarter than anyone who had a permanent job in R&D. That's not counting all of the times Maro and Stoddard have flat out bragged themselves up for being extra super smart.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

R&D is full of people who are high on their own brand

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

One time [Pro Tour Champion] Gerry Thompson had an internship in R&D and someone in development yelled at him for thinking he was smarter than anyone who had a permanent job in R&D. That's not counting all of the times Maro and Stoddard have flat out bragged themselves up for being extra super smart.

Nice.

TheKingofSprings posted:

R&D is full of people who are high on their own brand

I get it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
MaRo is good and everyone who includes him in their bitching is bad

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'll never not enjoy playing Fastbond and then casting Yavimaya Elder or Brainstorm. :getin:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

MaRo is the lead designer of Unstable, the best draft experience I've had in years.

He is great.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's sarcasm, yeah?

It would absolutely wreck DS as a deck.

Yah wasteland suuucks in low to the ground tempo decks, like for example, Delver.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Reprint boil, choke, and (in dominaria) Tsabo's Web

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

It's not that I don't get that it's hard to design a game where literally any rules or balance break just fucks up the game, but Magic also costs substantially more than just buying a copy of, say, Gloomhaven or any other expensive rules-fiddly board game because in those you get just as much play time and can just house rule something that's dumb.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Wasteland Strip Mine would be loving stupid in Modern, are you insane?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Archenteron posted:

Reprint boil, choke, and (in dominaria) Tsabo's Web

Tasbo's Web would be sweet with 3-drop Thalia.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Having three copies of Grizzly Fate in my VMA deck is cool and good.

Especially with Fastbond, Frantic Search, Brainstorm and Yavimaya Elder.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ShadeofBlue posted:

Yah wasteland suuucks in low to the ground tempo decks, like for example, Delver.

Delver was an average of one cmc cost backed with phenomenal filtering

Death's Shadow has neither of these and the most successful variants are incredibly colour greedy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

I would be happy if they just went back to their Kamigawaish philosophy of roughly one good cycle of duals every 2 blocks and painlands in the core set, but I think that ship has long sailed. WotC is clearly happy with multicolor heavy standard since every block from Lorwyn on has had a good cycle of duals.

And everyone was unhappy with Shadows over Innistrad duals.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

I'm going to break in my copy tomorrow and I'm super excited.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I'm going to break in my copy tomorrow and I'm super excited.

Just expect to spend the entire first scenario loving up the rules.

I think we rewound an entire round when we realized it made no sense that our Tinkerer got one-shot because you can actually prevent damage by losing cards either from hand or discard; we just forgot the entire rule despite it being critical to ever winning.

Edit: not that you'll be playing it if you're just opening it tomorrow since it takes a while to punch and setup

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 16, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Just expect to spend the entire first scenario loving up the rules.

I think we rewound an entire round when we realized it made no sense that our Tinkerer got one-shot because you can actually prevent damage by losing cards either from hand or discard; we just forgot the entire rule despite it being critical to ever winning.

Edit: not that you'll be playing it if you're just opening it tomorrow since it takes a while to punch and setup

Oh ye of little faith, I already have all the cardboard punched out and arranged in Plano containers and we're going to make sure we cover the rules in detail. We're all experienced board gamers.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Standard League Report:

Round 1: Temur Energy
Round 2: Temur Energy feat. guy saying "I'm not playing Temur Energy" while playing a RUG deck with Attune, Cub, Hydra, Servant, Harnessed Lightning and Rogue Refiner
Round 3: Temur Energy
Round 4: Temur Energy feat. guy saying "It's not Temur Energy because while I am playing a RUG deck with Attune, Cub, Hydra, Servant, Harnessed Lightning and Rogue Refiner, my deck is different because I splashed black for The Scarab God"
Round 5: Temur Energy

Great loving Format.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 16, 2017

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Modern, r1 vs mono white soul sisters, I'm mono black with maindeck bile blights with sideboard drown in sorrows and ratchet bombs.

I never find any and die to squadron hawks :smithicide:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Oh ye of little faith, I already have all the cardboard punched out and arranged in Plano containers and we're going to make sure we cover the rules in detail. We're all experienced board gamers.

Make sure to rubber band all the decks separately for ease of setup.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

PJOmega posted:

Make sure to rubber band all the decks separately for ease of setup.

:frogout:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Smashing Link posted:

Oh my god, yes please. That'd balance the format out real quick.

Archenteron posted:

Modern, r1 vs mono white soul sisters, I'm mono black with maindeck bile blights with sideboard drown in sorrows and ratchet bombs.

I never find any and die to squadron hawks :smithicide:

Soul Sisters was the first deck I ever played in Modern. Good times. :unsmith:

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Angry Grimace posted:

Standard League Report:

Round 1: Temur Energy
Round 2: Temur Energy feat. guy saying "I'm not playing Temur Energy" while playing a RUG deck with Attune, Cub, Hydra, Servant, Harnessed Lightning and Rogue Refiner
Round 3: Temur Energy
Round 4: Temur Energy feat. guy saying "It's not Temur Energy because while I am playing a RUG deck with Attune, Cub, Hydra, Servant, Harnessed Lightning and Rogue Refiner, my deck is different because I splashed black for The Scarab God"
Round 5: Temur Energy

Great loving Format.

3rd week in a row Standard FNM didn't fire tonight.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

80s James Hetfield posted:

3rd week in a row Standard FNM didn't fire tonight.

Sounds like WotC should have shorter Standard FNM seasons, like from set release to ~1 month after the pro tour, and then swap to Modern FNMs until the next set comes out.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Angry Grimace posted:

Standard League Report:

Temur Energy

Great loving Format.

Please tell me you were playing Temur Energy too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

Sounds like WotC should have shorter Standard FNM seasons, like from set release to ~1 month after the pro tour, and then swap to Modern FNMs until the next set comes out.

WotC should just make standard not suck. :v: