Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Protocol7 posted:

Anyone else have iMessages coming in in the wrong order recently? Half the time when I'm texting my wife I'll send her a message, and her reply will come in before the message I just sent. No idea what's changed but this started in the past week or so.

Yeah that was happening to me a day or two ago. A reboot seems to have fixed it... for now.

e: old texts got re-ordered correctly after the reboot as well, just FYI

fourwood fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That’s started happening to me literally since a fresh install last night. Gonna try a reboot now

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Endless Mike posted:

Did one or both of you turn off time syncing on or about December 2?

Nope. Don't even know where that setting lives, doubt the wife would either.

fourwood posted:

Yeah that was happening to me a day or two ago. A reboot seems to have fixed it... for now.

e: old texts got re-ordered correctly after the reboot as well, just FYI

Tried that when I first encountered it and it seemed to come back.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

iOS 11.2.1 just dropped- 68 MB, has HomeKit fixes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

sleepwalkers posted:

You can downgrade an iPad 2 (or you could last time I checked), but if you didn't know how, boo hoo.

e: I'll elaborate. The lack of officially supported or convoluted downgrade methods is not an Apple problem. No software company or hardware manufacturer wants you running old software, but Apple is the one who's figured out how to prevent you from doing it. Trying to knock them for continually supporting a single device for 4ish years is crazy. Yes, devices feel like they slow down over time and it sucks, but the tradeoff there is that you've gotten new features, bug fixes, and vulnerabilities patched for way, way longer than most devices. It's a massive issue with Android devices, and even Google is only promising two years of support for their own phones. While I'm sure you'd feel a lot more comfortable if you could run iOS 6 and feel like you're at the top of the heap, the actual, tangible performance difference is not as significant as it may seem. Memories of how a device performed three years ago don't often hold true. The devices you're comparing it to have changed, the baseline expectation for performance has changed, and things you used to put up with are seen as significant issues now.

Not to mention that your thermal paste has degraded, along with other sorts of natural decay that decreases the performance of your device.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

EL BROMANCE posted:

There’s a big difference between the company who wants your money and has no interest in your data, and the company who time and time again have used nefarious methods to get as much information on people as possible that of course is completely unrelated to the fact they’re at heart an advertising and marketing agency.

I don't disagree; much rather Apple have the data than Google given who Apple's customer is (me) and who Google's generally is (advertisers), but if you're not happy being tracked, you may not want either.

I'm also not sure Apple gets that data anyways and suspect it stays purely on your phone. I can't find a statement about that on a quick look through the iOS Security white paper, but when I look at my significant locations list, it starts on the date I got my new iPhone and restored from backup, so it's at least not being backed up apparently.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

fordan posted:

I don't disagree; much rather Apple have the data than Google given who Apple's customer is (me) and who Google's generally is (advertisers), but if you're not happy being tracked, you may not want either.

I'm also not sure Apple gets that data anyways and suspect it stays purely on your phone. I can't find a statement about that on a quick look through the iOS Security white paper, but when I look at my significant locations list, it starts on the date I got my new iPhone and restored from backup, so it's at least not being backed up apparently.

Apple gets your location data if you opt-in to help improve Maps and their location services upon initial phone setup/launching Maps for the first time. IIRC there's no inherent identifying data beyond the phone's IMEI, and the data is obviously never sold/shared with any third parties. If you opt-out, the data never leaves your device unless you specifically export it and upload it in a bug report.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Has anyone had any problems with Apple Music lately? I had to switch my App Store account to update an app, which is something I do regularly.

Upon switching back to my usual account my entire music library has disappeared. I can still listen to music from the cloud, but what I chose as my library, and the music I personally uploaded is all gone.

I’ve tried signing back out and in, and a few other things, but no luck. Does anyone have any ideas?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It can take a LONG time to reappear. Do you definitely have iCloud music library turned on in settings->music?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Are there any goon-recommended iPhone X cases? I'm not normally a case guy but everyone is telling me it's pretty necessary for this one. I'd prefer something slim and I don't care about scratch protection so much as just some decent bumpers so it doesn't shatter when I inevitably spaz out and drop it. (apologies if this gets asked a lot, I went back a bunch of pages but didn't see anything)

Matt Lauer
Nov 30, 2017

by Smythe
I use the black leather case and it's the best phone case I've ever used. The price is high and the profit margin is large as with any Apple product so it's gonna sting.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MQTD2ZM/A/iphone-x-leather-case-black

Best Buy had them for $45 a while ago so I bought from there. I had to check through their stock because a couple had small blemishes in the leather that annoyed me, but I found a nice one. There's a little variability.

Matt Lauer fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 13, 2017

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I’ve used the Apple leather cover for a few generations now. It’s thin, protects the phone well enough for me, adds necessary grip, and looks nice.

I don’t drop my phone often, but it’s happened enough over the years that i’m confident in the case.

They age nicely too. I liked the black one and really like the saddle brown. Here’s a fairly new X cover and my old 7+ one. I sort of had to choose between highlighting the color different or the texture and went with texture.

https://imgur.com/a/Mzlwa

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It can take a LONG time to reappear. Do you definitely have iCloud music library turned on in settings->music?

100% sure. Even with it on it says "Looking for your music?" on the Library page.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Really wish they still had the light blue silicone case. I have a strange obsession with blue :(

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Matt Lauer posted:

I use the black leather case and it's the best phone case I've ever used.

SLOSifl posted:

I’ve used the Apple leather cover for a few generations now.

Thanks guys, I will check it out. $50 isn’t cheap but I’m already spending like $1200 on a goddamn phone so whatever.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Daveski posted:

Thanks guys, I will check it out. $50 isn’t cheap but I’m already spending like $1200 on a goddamn phone so whatever.

Exactly, I just wrap the cost of the case into the phone. The Apple leather cases are great and thin, and you'd only be saving like $10 or $20 on an alternative that may not look or feel or fit as nice.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Curious if such a thing exists, but has anyone found a credit card sized Qi wireless battery pack? I know there were a few corded ones roughly the size of a half dozen credit cards stacked, but I can't find any signs of a wireless one yet.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

SLOSifl posted:

I’ve used the Apple leather cover for a few generations now. It’s thin, protects the phone well enough for me, adds necessary grip, and looks nice.

I don’t drop my phone often, but it’s happened enough over the years that i’m confident in the case.

They age nicely too. I liked the black one and really like the saddle brown. Here’s a fairly new X cover and my old 7+ one. I sort of had to choose between highlighting the color different or the texture and went with texture.

https://imgur.com/a/Mzlwa

I've had several colors of the leather case, and the saddle brown is by my favorite. I will pretty much only use 2 cases (as long as they are available) for the rest of my life, the saddle brown leather and the spicy orange silicone.

You are correct they get better with age (the only exception to this for me was the red one, which to me look worse with age). Here is my saddle brown after 14? months on my 7+. It got darker the more I used it.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

BGrifter posted:

Curious if such a thing exists, but has anyone found a credit card sized Qi wireless battery pack? I know there were a few corded ones roughly the size of a half dozen credit cards stacked, but I can't find any signs of a wireless one yet.

i'd imagine not. last i'd heard there was quite a bit of energy loss with Qi, so you're not going to see small lowish capacity battery packs that support it. I thought it was like 25-30 percent, so for a 1000 mah battery, you'd only get maybe 700 into your phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Orange silicone is the best case.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I bought a case from MNML and whilst it's not heavy duty, it's basically the best case you can get without making your phone feel even *slightly* bulkier.

If y'all want a 20% discount code, use MNML20 @ https://www.mnmlca.se

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got a MNML case and I don't actually understand the point. It is so thin that it won't actually protect the phone in any situation beyond preventing some scratches on the back glass. Like, yeah, it doesn't make your phone feel bulkier, but it also doesn't actually do anything other than make it a different color.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I find those cases are good for people that are fairly confident they aren't going to drop or chip their phone but want to keep any little scratch they can off of it for resale.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

I got a MNML case and I don't actually understand the point. It is so thin that it won't actually protect the phone in any situation beyond preventing some scratches on the back glass. Like, yeah, it doesn't make your phone feel bulkier, but it also doesn't actually do anything other than make it a different color.
There are times in which things fall from heights that wouldn't shatter anything, but would gently caress up the frame a fair bit, and thin cases like that can minimize the damage done. Also minor scrapes and scuffs from otherwise normal use.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Endless Mike posted:

That's literally the only damage my smartphones (and pretty much any gadget I can remember owning, for that matter) have sustained.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Theophany posted:

That's literally the only damage my smartphones (and pretty much any gadget I can remember owning, for that matter) have sustained.

Same. That's why I like super-thin cases. Except for the Apple Leather ones, while a bit thicker than some (but not by much) they look so good.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The only reason I put a case on my Jet Black 7+ is to prevent scratches. I would have gotten the normal black but T-Mo was out of stock of the normal black 128GB at the time. I rock one of the super slim Totallee cases.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I went from an Otterbox Defender for my 5S to a Spigen one with spigen screen protector for my X.

I love how thin it feels. In the last 3 Year’s with the Defender, I did not drop it once and was extremely careful with it. I will keep that up with this and the thinner case fits better in my pocket.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

are qi chargers worth it over charging via cables? they've come down to a price where they're an impulse buy but not sure how much more convenient they are

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

shrike82 posted:

are qi chargers worth it over charging via cables? they've come down to a price where they're an impulse buy but not sure how much more convenient they are

lol dude are you f'real poo poo changed my life

you can get a decent one for like $18

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lol dude are you f'real poo poo changed my life

you can get a decent one for like $18

For reals yo. Wireless is loving awesome.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

i mean it's a simple concept but i wasn't sure just how much I'd love it. I was always that dude perpetually cruising 20-30% battery life. If you want charging speed then yeah, wired. Cannot think of any other reasons. I've actually been meaning to buy some dust cover/rubber plugs for my lightning port

cause wireless carplay owns too

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Having a standing charger has turned my X into a speaker phone and additional internet screen on my desk which is nice

My wife has one on her nightstand and it’s nice for her because she can just throw it on that when she is done playing animal crossing because it is a struggle to plug in a phone when sleepy

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m hoping getting a qi charger at some point in the future will sell me on it, because it doesn’t really seem an awful lot different to just dropping your phone into one of those old Apple Docks. Used to love mine, not sure they ever did one for lightning though.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Wireless charging is cool and my only complaint is my OCD kicks in full force and I always have to make sure my rectangular phone is perfectly centered on the smaller circular charger, in fear that I'll get only 92% charging efficiency. It ends up taking like just as long as plugging it in.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m hoping getting a qi charger at some point in the future will sell me on it, because it doesn’t really seem an awful lot different to just dropping your phone into one of those old Apple Docks. Used to love mine, not sure they ever did one for lightning though.

They did, that's what my wife had on her night stand before the anker qi puck

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

EL BROMANCE posted:

The stand-style qi charger i have is like that but cooler because you don't have to make sure the lightning port plugs in. Just drop and it's good.

I have a small flat style one also and no case on my X so the camera bump makes that one slightly annoying. And the glass surface means it spins on that real easy. So in general I'd recommend a stand rather than a flat one.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

AirPods for $140 @ Costco:
https://slickdeals.net/f/11049799-apple-airpods-for-139-99-on-costco-online

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

I posted a few months ago asking whether these were worth it, I suppose it’s time to pay the advice I got forward.

AirPods are the best Apple product in a decade. Absolutely fantastic in every way except the price and that sale helps address the price issue.

Having easy hassle free access to headphones in the lighter pocket of my jeans is the sort of thing that changed my day to day habits. In the past I couldn’t be bothered to dig out headphones from my locker, disentangle the cord and plug them in for a 15 minute coffee break. Now I find myself listening to music and podcasts on my coffee break daily.

Call quality is shockingly good as well. I made a call in heavy wind and rain walking along the highway with heavy traffic next to me with the hood on my hoodie up and the person on the other end said it was as clear as if I was sitting in the room next to them. Whatever noise cancelling magic Apple does is ridiculously effective.

Worth every penny and I paid full price for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
After the holidays I'm going back to get a new battery case swapped. I'm still having really annoying connection problems.