Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Bombadilillo posted:

It matters for their movement, they should be trying to get into a position where they can attack multiple people.

Small clarification, monsters will move into a position where they can hit multiple targets while still attacking their focus. If the choice is between hitting multiple targets (but not the focus) and only hitting the focus, they'll go for the single hit on their focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure shields stack. The weird part of Living Bones is that they target multiple characters every time they attack even though they're melee - unless I'm totally misinterpreting that? I don't think it would matter much to what we've played so far, we usually just play keep away with the bastards.

Check the art on the Living Bones. He's got multiple arms he swings at everyone :getin:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Kiranamos posted:

Check the art on the Living Bones. He's got multiple arms he swings at everyone :getin:

Wait whaaa...
The things I've missed.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kiranamos posted:

Holy poo poo we have to go get the stupid card out now so we can look at it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I’ve forgotten the losing cards to mitigate attacks rule so many times already when it’s pretty obvious it exists because you’d randomly get one shot by an elite crit if you couldn’t.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Could someone detail exactly how traps work for me? My group's Tinkerer keeps putting them down and I'm aware those cards aren't very good but I still feel like I'm doing them wrong.

Can you put traps in chokepoints? They don't actually block it off but I'm not sure. Related, are there any circumstances where a monster will walk onto a trap?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Countblanc posted:

Could someone detail exactly how traps work for me? My group's Tinkerer keeps putting them down and I'm aware those cards aren't very good but I still feel like I'm doing them wrong.

Can you put traps in chokepoints? They don't actually block it off but I'm not sure. Related, are there any circumstances where a monster will walk onto a trap?

Traps do a thing when someone moves (or is moved) onto them. The thing might be automatic damage, or a status, or both.

Monsters treat traps as obstacles when calculating their focus and pathways, then recalculate as if the traps didn't exist if that causes no other path to exist (and will presumably move over the trap and take the effect).

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
My group of three retired two classes last session. We played a couple of two player scenarios with the new classes today, and nearly got stomped in both due to a complete inability to deal with shields. As it happened we had the same four-shield elite in the first room of one scenario and the last room of the other, and the only chance we had of dealing with him between us was a single wounding card. We beat the second scenario with my friend exhausted and me at 1 hp with no cards left, after wounding the thing and frantically running away until it bled to death.

Coming from cragheart it is very distressing, suddenly needing to worry about high shield low health enemies. Fortunately the third player is a bit better at dealing with them so it should be a bit smoother when we have three again. Until he retires, at least...

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

silvergoose posted:

Holy poo poo we have to go get the stupid card out now so we can look at it.

All enemy art is on the developer's website.
Spoilers, ovbiously.
http://www.cephalofair.com/gloomhaven-monster-spoilers

The skeleton is not a spoiler, so here we go;

It makes no sense how that second arm attaches somewhere above elbow, but I don't think animated multi-limbed skeletons need to be all that realistic.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

misguided rage posted:

My group of three retired two classes last session. We played a couple of two player scenarios with the new classes today, and nearly got stomped in both due to a complete inability to deal with shields. As it happened we had the same four-shield elite in the first room of one scenario and the last room of the other, and the only chance we had of dealing with him between us was a single wounding card. We beat the second scenario with my friend exhausted and me at 1 hp with no cards left, after wounding the thing and frantically running away until it bled to death.

Coming from cragheart it is very distressing, suddenly needing to worry about high shield low health enemies. Fortunately the third player is a bit better at dealing with them so it should be a bit smoother when we have three again. Until he retires, at least...

Worth noting, you can also use traps (with pushes, if necessary) and Retaliate damage to deal with high-Shield enemies. Assuming you don't have any Pierce attacks available.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Jabor posted:

Worth noting, you can also use traps (with pushes, if necessary) and Retaliate damage to deal with high-Shield enemies. Assuming you don't have any Pierce attacks available.

Unless they're high shield enemies with Flying.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I played the first of the kickstarter scenarios on TT Sim yesterday with a buddy.

It was a lot of fun if a bit annoying at points, hopefully the later scenarios aren't like that one, which is just a giant room with monsters punching each other, because it made every turn take forever, and while we started off feeling like we couldn't win once we started getting into how the game played we got a lot more confident and won the scenario pretty easily. We made a few rules mistakes I can tell just from reading this thread which we'll try to remember when we do Scenario 2.

Cragheart is love, though I didn't realize how he seems to be more of a ranged dude then maybe a frontline person, he's a lot of fun to play. I didn't use his Spare Ammunition card though which was bad of me since it meant I lost like 4 EXP.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Holy hell we just got absolutely wrecked in Scenario 2. I don't know if we were just exceptionally unlucky or what, but between the 3 curse cards everybody gets just for showing up, and Captain Summons poo poo Or Opens Doors Every Friggin' Turn we just got completely overwhelmed.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Holy hell we just got absolutely wrecked in Scenario 2. I don't know if we were just exceptionally unlucky or what, but between the 3 curse cards everybody gets just for showing up, and Captain Summons poo poo Or Opens Doors Every Friggin' Turn we just got completely overwhelmed.

It's pretty neat and I hope the design stays fresh where you can fill in the narrative with the mechanics, but it does seem pretty swingy. We managed to win only because he got stuck on door 4 and kept drawing Living Bones instead, but he could never legally summon more than one after we ended up blocking him in with corpses behind him and all of us in melee range + one LB. We got like 3 2x hits on him as well which is kind of crazy, and I don't think we would have won otherwise. If you get unlucky with the monster ability draws, it seems you'd get overwhelmed and die much too easily.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Stallion Cabana posted:

I played the first of the kickstarter scenarios on TT Sim yesterday with a buddy.

It was a lot of fun if a bit annoying at points, hopefully the later scenarios aren't like that one, which is just a giant room with monsters punching each other, because it made every turn take forever, and while we started off feeling like we couldn't win once we started getting into how the game played we got a lot more confident and won the scenario pretty easily. We made a few rules mistakes I can tell just from reading this thread which we'll try to remember when we do Scenario 2.

Cragheart is love, though I didn't realize how he seems to be more of a dude then maybe a frontline person, he's a lot of fun to play. I didn't use his Spare Ammunition card though which was bad of me since it meant I lost like 4 EXP.

No no, me and my brother 2-manned all but the last one of the TTS kickstarter ones and you don't have to worry about them all being the same. I'm not entirely convinced you can beat the 9th one with 2 people without getting exceptionally lucky though. I can comment on that if you want but, spoilers. The scenarios are mostly all very different and have different objectives. For a bonus, if you look at the kickstarter blog you can see what choices were made between each scenario by the community.

Not really a spoiler: The first TTS one can actually be tricky, since you have to get the last hit on a number of them and so at a certain point you have to keep the enemies from killing each other or beat them to the punch.

For the second TTS scenario Make sure one of you uses a loot power to suck up all the bombs ASAP, and don't be afraid to use a couple to tag annoying enemies from a distance. In the second room, our cragheart just smashed the table and we were able to run past a bunch of those cannons. Hunting all those down will exhaust you pretty quick.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I'm pretty sure everyone gets wrecked on their first attempt of that scenario, but now you know what you should focus on next time!

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
We did good on our first try of scenario 2. We killed the Bandit Commander before he could open the 3rd door.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My group probably got phenomenally lucky, but we actually cleaned up Scenario 2 quite easily, especially compared to Scenarios 1 and 3, and even had time to leisurely stroll over and loot the treasure without running any notable risk. Basically the boss almost immediately opened all four doors, meaning the last two were completely devoid of enemies, and we were able to get a poison on him early so he just ended up eating a lot of damage and dying before doing anything noteworthy. I think he only actually attacked us twice, and once he was across the room and couldn't hit anyone. Meanwhile the corpses barely moved out of their rooms so we weren't ever taking enough damage to sacrifice cards. And regarding that treasure, our Brute was fortunate enough to loot it and dang that is a Good Treasure.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Countblanc posted:

My group probably got phenomenally lucky, but we actually cleaned up Scenario 2 quite easily, especially compared to Scenarios 1 and 3, and even had time to leisurely stroll over and loot the treasure without running any notable risk. Basically the boss almost immediately opened all four doors, meaning the last two were completely devoid of enemies, and we were able to get a poison on him early so he just ended up eating a lot of damage and dying before doing anything noteworthy. I think he only actually attacked us twice, and once he was across the room and couldn't hit anyone. Meanwhile the corpses barely moved out of their rooms so we weren't ever taking enough damage to sacrifice cards. And regarding that treasure, our Brute was fortunate enough to loot it and dang that is a Good Treasure.

Yeah, my group had it play out mostly as intended, but a buddy of mine just got to it the other day and kept drawing the summon living bones/reshuffle card over and over, and ended the scenario after a massive slog with not a single door ending up open. They're gonna replay to get the treasure, probably.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Countblanc posted:

We did that on purpose once he jumped away from us. We just hunkered down and tried not to kill anything til all doors were open. Then we murdered him

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Yeah my biggest issue with scenario 2 was all the drat curse cards. I swear my cragheart whiffed like 4 times in a row early on in that mission and I kept reshuffling them back in. Boss didn't do a whole lot to me other than run in circles though, and I was able to aoe down most of the mobs emerging from the other rooms pretty efficiently while working in some hits on the boss.
re treasure: wasn't it just 10 gold?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'm running through two different campaigns. In my second group we killed the boss in the second scenario so early that he didn't open any doors. We'd need to replay the scenario to get the chest.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Hauki posted:

Yeah my biggest issue with scenario 2 was all the drat curse cards. I swear my cragheart whiffed like 4 times in a row early on in that mission and I kept reshuffling them back in. Boss didn't do a whole lot to me other than run in circles though, and I was able to aoe down most of the mobs emerging from the other rooms pretty efficiently while working in some hits on the boss.

When you draw a curse or a bless card you remove them from your deck immediately, they don't stay in the discard to be reshuffled back in.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hauki posted:

e: disregard

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 16, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Countblanc posted:

No, that was the quest reward. The treasure chest in the scenario contained a sword that turns your top-half generic 2-damage melee attack into a 4-damage melee attack.

I don't think it did. Did you get the wrong number in the book?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
It definitely doesn't do that. It gives 10 gold.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

That spoiler item soundd really powerful. Like crazy for when you got it.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 16, 2017

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

When you draw a curse or a bless card you remove them from your deck immediately, they don't stay in the discard to be reshuffled back in.

Yeah, someone already mentioned that the other day, I just missed it the first time I ran that mission :shobon:

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Yeah I definitely did not get any powerful item from that scenario. I used the scenario app as well.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I guess it's the nature of the numbers. If you look at 76 instead of 67 or something you can give yourself way end game content

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ah well okay, good to know. Fortunately it only got used once in the next session and I'm not sure how big of a difference it made. Thanks.

e: also I doubt it matters but I edited my post to prevent spoilers, sorry to anyone who got owned by my mistake

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 16, 2017

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Welp, Gloomhaven has turned me full nerd.

I thought the Brute would be the easiest since he's relatively larger, but he's easily the worst of my novice attempts.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Those look awesome.

My FLGS had the BT Gloomhaven organizer in stock so I grabbed it then ran to Home Depot for some Minwax Colonial Maple 223, got home all excited and are you kidding me I'm out of wood glue there is no way I'm going back out into that maelstrom of holiday retail hell

e: wood glue found. :getin:

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 16, 2017

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
I'm having problems winning the Gloomhaven organization meta-game.

Can you guys recommend what Plano boxes you're using and how many I would need to organize monsters and tokens?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm using four Plano 2-3600 boxes, and it works great. Ideally you'd use one 3650 half-height box for tokens you need to get at often, but I couldn't find one for a reasonable price, and the extra 3600 works well enough.

Amazon link (this is a four-pack)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Knucklebear posted:

Can you guys recommend what Plano boxes you're using and how many I would need to organize monsters and tokens?

I used this guide:

3 of this kind of plano, they come in a four pack or you can change it to buy them individually.

One of these.

This works great for me, everything fits inside the box, I don't use a separate thing for the map tiles. Just stuff them in. I changed the organization a bit because if you follow that guide exactly you'll end up with a couple empty compartments in the 3601, so I keep the character tokens in there.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Knucklebear posted:

Ojetor posted:

Reposting my cheap solution to organizing the game, for those who don't want to dump a cool hundred on fancy lasercut wood:
  • Sort map tiles by letter in an expanding folder. Being able to quickly get the map tiles you need is crucial. This will not fit inside the box, which might be a dealbreaker for some, but I think the benefits of massively speedier setup are more than worth it.
  • Sort all tokens in organizer boxes for easy access. Being able to quickly get the doors, obstacles, traps you need for a scenario and such without digging through a million tiles is very good. Same goes for gameplay tokens like gold, XP, summons and conditions. You could use two separate boxes for these, but just I use a big Plano 3750, which holds every single token in the game with space to spare and still fits inside the Gloomhaven box.
  • As per this BBG thread, use the foam that comes in the box to hold enemy standees. It's free and the cutting is really easy to do, just be careful you don't cut too deep.
  • Keep item cards in a browsable binder. You could go fancy and buy Ultra Pro gaming binder pages and a binder but that's fairly expensive (Ultra Pro binder pages are sold in 100 packs unless you can find singles at an LGS). Instead of that, I'm using a cheapo business card holder, which works perfectly for this purpose and costs less.
  • Use Gloomy Companion and forget that monster decks physically exist.
  • Keep each character's modifier deck and items inside their class box so you can just hand out ready to play boxes to each player at the beginning of each session. Since you're using Gloomy Companion for monster modifiers, you can use the monster modifier deck for a fifth character, but any more and you'll need to be swapping decks between characters. That would only be an issue when running multiple parties.
  • Everything else: event cards, random dungeon cards, personal quests, battle goals, curses/blessings/armor penalty cards, miniature and class boxes, etc, I keep in the original insert.

It's a very tidy box which makes me quite happy and setup times are under 10 min. Best of all, total cost is under :10bux::10bux:

If nothing else, do the enemy standee thing with the foam, it's great.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm using four Plano 2-3600 boxes, and it works great. Ideally you'd use one 3650 half-height box for tokens you need to get at often, but I couldn't find one for a reasonable price, and the extra 3600 works well enough.

Amazon link (this is a four-pack)
I used Tackle Warehouse. I got the 3x 3600 and 1x 3650 for about $23 shipped.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
We played like six hours of gloomhaven today and it ruled. I love this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
We played about 6 hours too....and finished just the very first scenario. Hopeful that we get much faster as we learn the rules.