Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Plasma Exterminators on Dark Angels Inceptors, hidden gem of the codex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Zuul the Cat posted:

I didn't know it was possible for someone to be so wrong. Red for life.

Yeah, for a Christmas bauble. Have you seen that lieutenant?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The DA lieutenant is such a smug bastard. Really excellent model.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Artum posted:

I still vote for lady custodes in the hope that the technicality of ladies stronger than marines causes a bunch of people to literally explode with anger.

New conversion idea.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

Plasma Exterminators on Dark Angels Inceptors, hidden gem of the codex.

How do you figure? Yeah they'll do a frankly obscene amount of damage if you use the plasma stratagem but greenwings reroll 1s isnt active on the turn you deep strike and if you overcharge without rerolls you are basically guaranteed to lose that entire 177pt unit.

Like after that last game I'm extremely high on plasma inceptors and cant wait to convert some but they really only function because I've got 3 different sources of reroll 1s to give them as an ultramarines player.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Corrode posted:

The DA lieutenant is such a smug bastard. Really excellent model.

He's cooler with the hat on. I'll give his hooded head to a DI sergeant I think.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Oh.

OOOOOOOOOOOOH.

You dont need to overcharge. :psyduck:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Artum posted:

Oh.

OOOOOOOOOOOOH.

You dont need to overcharge. :psyduck:

Or you could overcharge and use that.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

Or you could overcharge and use that.

Seems like a waste, you're spending 1cp and 177pts of man to deal 13-14 wounds to your average tank and it has to be something like a predator to be trading up.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Artum posted:

How do you figure? Yeah they'll do a frankly obscene amount of damage if you use the plasma stratagem but greenwings reroll 1s isnt active on the turn you deep strike and if you overcharge without rerolls you are basically guaranteed to lose that entire 177pt unit.

Like after that last game I'm extremely high on plasma inceptors and cant wait to convert some but they really only function because I've got 3 different sources of reroll 1s to give them as an ultramarines player.

Bring them in with a Captain I assume. I originally had written off plasma exterminators as to expensive, but just looking at their output versus hellblasters you are actually getting more shots per points spent with the added bonus of not having to worry about being killed before they can be used effectively, which lets be honest is probably one of the most important things in the game at this moment. Being able to essentially double your damage without risk of exploding or going up to 3 is pretty powerful on a unit that can go anywhere and has an 18 inch range.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
What is the easy fit redeptor going to have for A loadout?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

DiHK posted:

What is the easy fit redeptor going to have for A loadout?

Heavy onslaught, heavy flamer and fragstorms; nominally the close combat build and also annoyingly the most expensive one to run.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

I don't know if I have enough appropriate GIFs of people laughing maniacally for this change.

I'm kidding, of course I do. I am crowing so hard I might as well change my screen name to murder...

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Haha, good point. I, also, love that DA Lieutenant - so smug.

It actually reminds me of the trailer cinematic of DoW III.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

I don't know if I have enough appropriate GIFs of people laughing maniacally for this change.

I'm kidding, of course I do. I am crowing so hard I might as well change my screen name to murder...

Are people actually complaining about the character change?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Now the jet lag has worn off - do any goons ham in Brisbane, Australia? We’ve moved back here after 17 years in the UK.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

Are people actually complaining about the character change?

Almost as much as they're bitching about Smite spam.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Almost as much as they're bitching about Smite spam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEZWYXPvmS8

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

There isn't a single thing which hams won't piss and moan about.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I stg this forum seems to be the only place that understands this stupid game.

And even then we have exceptions.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
God forbid gw iron out the bugs people spotted months 5 months ago.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Artum posted:

Heavy onslaught, heavy flamer and fragstorms; nominally the close combat build and also annoyingly the most expensive one to run.

bunk, I wanna run the plasma, onslaught, and icarus rockets

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Redirect me to a better thread is it exists, but are there any recasters doing bfg stuff these days?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

DiHK posted:

Oh they always come with the icarus pod, its not an option.

That's actually how mine is built. (wip)

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

Well, you have no choice but to run the rockets. Sounds like you're stuck with the big kit though- I actually just picked one up myself along with more Inceptors.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Pendent posted:

Well, you have no choice but to run the rockets. Sounds like you're stuck with the big kit though- I actually just picked one up myself along with more Inceptors.

I'm not seeing much room in my currewnt list for lieutennants so I'm geting the easy fit intercessors s I have 15 and a full redemptor kit.

Just double checking before I dropped that hammer.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Shockeh posted:

Now the jet lag has worn off - do any goons ham in Brisbane, Australia? We’ve moved back here after 17 years in the UK.

I'm down in Canberra, so give me a wave if you're ever down this way!

Same goes to any other Canberra goons there may or may not be around here.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm gonna talk about the (retconned) death of Eldrad Ulthran

The real-world time was the middle aughts. The Eye of Terror Campaign was in full swing, to which my proud little 3rd Edition Biel-Tan warhost contributed in a small way, by fighting alongside the Relictors and a few other Imperial/Eldar groups against the Black Legion at an in-store event battle (we lost; the Relictors are currently a renegade chapter in the fluff, afaik; but my Farseer guided the poo poo out of some Dark Reapers throughout the fight). The premise of the big global campaign was the 13th Black Crusade, the one that was finally resolved by the Fall of Cadia stuff at the end of 7th Edition. The official result of the Eye of Terror Campaign was that Abaddon's forces won the ground war, but Imperial/Eldar elements won the space war, effectively blockading Abaddon in the Cadia system. But there was a further development: according to the GW writeup at the end of the campaign, long since retconned, Eldrad Ulthran, greatest farseer of all the eldar craftworlds, died.

The premise was this: among Abaddon's most potent void assets in the crusade, second only to the Planet Killer super-battleship, were the Blackstone Fortresses: ancient eldar star fortresses, original built for the War in Heaven against the Necrons and their star gods, allegedly by the eldar smith-god Vaul himself. Abandoned after the Fall, the Fortresses were garrisoned and brought back into working order by the Imperium at some point after the Great Crusade. Abaddon seized the Imperium's Blackstone Fortresses to use as battleships and military staging grounds for the Gothic War, and preserved at least two in good order for the 13th Black Crusade. The Blackstone Fortresses are magnificent martial edifices, supreme expressions of the concept of militarized space stations, capable of housing vast armies and delivering awful destruction through their arcane weapon batteries. Top notch void defense platforms, and psychically resonant to boot like most eldar artefacts.

The story goes that towards the end of the 13th Black Crusade, as the contending Imperial and Chaotic forces ground themselves into mutual stalemate in the Cadian system, Eldrad attempted a bold scheme: to infiltrate, and usurp control of, one of Abaddon's Blackstone Fortresses. If he'd succeeeded, the plan might've caused sufficient disruption to break the last Black Legion void defenses around Cadia proper, trapping Abaddon there to be dragged down by masses of Imperial reinforcements. As foremost psyker among the craftworld eldar, Eldrad was confident that if he could just get inside the Fortresses and commune with its psychically resonant components, he could wrench control of the station from Abaddon's warpsmiths and turn its immense offensive capacities against the Black Legion. The first stage of the operation was a success. Eldrad and his coterie managed to board the Fortress; the ancient farseer was able to make contact with its wraithbone core. But as he harmonized with the station, Eldrad learned the awful truth: it was already, entirely corrupted by the power of Slaanesh. Eldrad's consciousness was engulfed among daemons of She Who Thirsts, and his hubris in attempting to wrest control of the Fortress was rewarded by having his soul shredded in the most exquisitely agonizing fashion.

Or so it supposedly went. As of the 6th Edition codex there's been no mention of that particular vignette in the 13th Black Crusade. In m42, since the return of Guilliman and the birth of Ynnead and all the rest, Eldrad Ulthran is very much alive and still foremost seer of Ulthwe, though like all truly ancient farseers he is slowly crystallizing into a wraithbone. One day, barring other ill fates, he'll enter the Garden of the Crystal Seers on Ulthwe and become one more statue physically and psychically fused to the Ulthwe infinity matrix, but that hasn't happened yet. The Blackstone Fortress story is just something GW would we forget, so they can keep selling Eldrad models to Ulthwe players.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
The proposed Smite changes seem reasonable, though they come down on Grey Knights pretty hard as a result too. Kinda wish the Rites of Banishment restriction at least didn't apply to their characters.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

zeal posted:

<snip>

Yeah but if I remember correctly, it was found that Chaos players were rigging games and playing stratagems (items people "win" to throw the campaign towards a certain narrative direction) they weren't supposed to win. I think the retcon was kind of their way of saying "Look, the narrative will stay the same but we're going to back up a bunch of stuff because we found out you assholes cheated". That's how it felt to me but its just as likely they didn't want a staple character to go bye bye to sell more minis.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Thanqol posted:

Canberra

Is this a suburb of Brisbane? These tid-bits of knowledge entertain me. I am equally entertained by off-hand geographical knowledge gained by listening to British/Australian podcasts.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is the end of the old 13th Black Crusade the one where an Ork boss randomly shows up and punches the big bad guy in the face? Typing that out makes me think that maybe it was a fever dream of mine, but I swear it happened...

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DiHK posted:

Is this a suburb of Brisbane? These tid-bits of knowledge entertain me. I am equally entertained by off-hand geographical knowledge gained by listening to British/Australian podcasts.

Canberra is the main city of the ACT (Australian Capitol Territory) and the ACT resides in the midst of NSW, which shares a border with Queensland, to the north.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is the end of the old 13th Black Crusade the one where an Ork boss randomly shows up and punches the big bad guy in the face? Typing that out makes me think that maybe it was a fever dream of mine, but I swear it happened...

That was the Storm of Chaos in Warhammer Fantasy. Players, especially Greenskin players, did not cooperate with the storyline GW had planned, and that was a small concession to how the tabletop games actually played out and were reported (namely, literally every race including the orcs and vampires joined together and summarily stomped Chaos into the dirt the moment the campaign started).

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

zeal posted:

One day, barring other ill fates, he'll enter the Garden of the Crystal Seers on Ulthwe and become one more statue physically and psychically fused to the Ulthwe infinity matrix, but that hasn't happened yet. The Blackstone Fortress story is just something GW would we forget, so they can keep selling Eldrad models to Ulthwe players.

So like, since G-dubs is currently out of stock on spirit seers I can use Eldrad for 'counts-as' because dudes already dead according to established cannon? Sweet.

Srsly: cool story, I hate loose ends tho.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

OH, wow. You a-holes need to rectify your pronunciations with your letters. :lol:

Seriously I spelled that city entirely different in my head thanks to Mysterious Universe.

E: FYI: DRUNK

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

DiHK posted:

OH, wow. You a-holes need to rectify your pronunciations with your letters. :lol:

From the country that gave us 'Arkansas'

you don't really have a leg to stand on with place names.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
That's a fair cop.

E: don't forget Illinois, Missiouri, or any plethora of other Native American (aboriginal) names.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 16, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They have retconned Eldrad's death, as they have retconned the entire 13th Black Crusade, yes. However they didn't retcon it to keep Eldrad on sale. His point of death is a matter of story, not setting. The setting is what you play within, stories are what you tell within the setting. He could be used at any point from the Heresy to his canonical death, thus he stayed in the codex and on the shelves..

They could come out tomorrow and say that Dante died alongside Logan Grimnar in a freak space toboggan accident twenty years into the Indomitus Crusade, it wouldn't mean that they should stop selling those models or stop putting them in books. Hell, Tycho's death has been fixed for years and there are two versions of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Don't forget we have both Arkansas and Kansas.