Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Those oil stains are probably left over from Tomcats even after all these years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Those oil stains are probably left over from Tomcats even after all these years.

It’s a feature.

Cats mark their territory.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dannywilson posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present you with MCAS Miramar: see if you can distinguish the FA-18's from their oily shadows! https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...!4d-117.1358333

E: if you look at the east end of the ramp you can see the aggressor F-5's and their beautiful plumage.

Okay, what are those? They look like Alpha Jets.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Gervasius posted:

Okay, what are those? They look like Alpha Jets.

They’re Alpha Jets.

:hurr:

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

MrChips posted:

Biggest stains I've found are at B-1 bases. Those motherfuckers leak prodigiously it seems.

You aren't kidding. Here's some B-1 stains at Ellsworth.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.1501061,-103.1016618,146m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Lol

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
:stare: dirty bone

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

You don't seem so tough when you need a bed wetting sheet in your sleepy place.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

In case you were wondering how big a 1/48 B-36 actually is:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...2!4d-77.4509628

Basically under or around any USN/USMC CH-53 is gallons of oil, hydraulic fluid, and soot. There is a reason they are called the "Shitter." Hell, they are called that by their own pilots and aircrew.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

Haha. Ok, I'm giving this to you and not googling anything. What is the lethal radius of that bomb, 1/48?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Not very big... Those look more like T-12s than MK-17s.

:spergin:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Nebakenezzer posted:

The Polystyrene Overcast.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Bob A Feet posted:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...2!4d-77.4509628

Basically under or around any USN/USMC CH-53 is gallons of oil, hydraulic fluid, and soot. There is a reason they are called the "Shitter." Hell, they are called that by their own pilots and aircrew.

Twin-Stars are on a similar level, Leak-Stars. I hate working on them or putting my equipment on them because it always ends up covered in oil and hydraulic fluid as well. One of the local companies actually switched to gear oil in some of their components which makes it even worse.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Swing wings can make oil angels

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I like the fat guy in a tshirt. Thats one casual rear end military.

Enourmo posted:

That got me poking around MCO when I saw this. What the gently caress are all those cars? Dieselgate returns?

Small internet, this was my favorite place to street race 10+ years ago.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 16, 2017

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Its a shame the SR-71 was always in a hanger, those things leaked like crazy.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Xenoborg posted:

Its a shame the SR-71 was always in a hanger, those things leaked like crazy.

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

e.pilot posted:

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature.

The leakiness of the SR-71 is often overstated; people act like it was just gushing fuel out on deck, but the SR-71 memoir I read a while back described it as a much less dramatic, like the leakage you'd get from a loose hydraulic fitting or something. It's a common misconception that the reason it usually had to refuel right after takeoff was due to the amount it leaked on the ground while cold. In fact, they took off with partially full tanks as a safety measure to lower their takeoff weight.
:goonsay:

Though I'd absolutely believe that it leaked a ton of other fluids as well, just like any respectable cold war aircraft.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The leakiness of the SR-71 is often overstated; people act like it was just gushing fuel out on deck, but the SR-71 memoir I read a while back described it as a much less dramatic, like the leakage you'd get from a loose hydraulic fitting or something. It's a common misconception that the reason it usually had to refuel right after takeoff was due to the amount it leaked on the ground while cold. In fact, they took off with partially full tanks as a safety measure to lower their takeoff weight.
:goonsay:

Though I'd absolutely believe that it leaked a ton of other fluids as well, just like any respectable cold war aircraft.

A loose hydraulic fitting under every single panel of the airplane.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ardeem posted:

A loose hydraulic fitting under every single panel of the airplane.

Maybe that’s not leaking at all by Cold War standards!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It’s fine the fuel isn’t really flammable anyways.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

e.pilot posted:

It’s fine the fuel isn’t really flammable anyways.

Nor the hydraulic fluid.

EDIT: Seriously though I have changed transmissions with less mess than that.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

I'm betting that a few Russian airfields could win an award or two.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Nucken Futz posted:

Or Chinese

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Godholio posted:

Hahaha clicked before getting to "Las Vegas" but instantly recognized that ramp.

Yeah but can we talk about the :swoon:'yness of the F-15 in desert camo just SW of that oil slick? (or upper-left from how that link is oriented)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

MrYenko posted:

Not very big... Those look more like T-12s than MK-17s.

:spergin:

plus isn't nuclear yield a quadratic function in regards to weapon size assuming the same materials?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nucken Futz posted:

You might be surprised:

Engels Air Base in Russia, home of the Tu-160.

Of course if you're just hard-parking your jets and not actually flying them there's very little reason for them to leak

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrChips posted:

Of course if you're just hard-parking your jets and not actually flying them there's very little reason for them to leak

I looked at a few spotless Russian airbases and came to the same conclusion.

Hour‐for‐hour, I expect Russian planes leak more than America’s, but America can sustain a much higher rate of operations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nucken Futz posted:

The tarmac at Engels on Google Earth looks suspiciously clean, even under where the Blackjacks and Tu-22Ms are parked.

Of course, that might be down to how most of their strategic bombers are glorified static displays these days.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 16, 2017

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Could the cold contribute? Not a lot of fluids are thin enough to leak when it’s always -20c outside

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Vodka cleans up a lot of things

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Platystemon posted:

I looked at a few spotless Russian airbases and came to the same conclusion.

Hour‐for‐hour, I expect Russian planes leak more than America’s, but America can sustain a much higher rate of operations.

I dont know...I've seen military plane landing gear that have ~2 flight hours on them and are covered in a layer of hydraulic fluid.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pratt And Whitney engines leak. Without exception. It should be no surprise that the SR-71 leaked. And not just the fuel leaks that are popularly known.

That thing probably leaked oil like it was born to.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Well the SR-71 leaked because the panels weren't built to fit until mach 2 or some poo poo

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Alright plane nerds, what’s this?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ManifunkDestiny posted:

I think it might be a 1983 Gulfstream Aerospace 550.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Had to google it. What a weird development history.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Fayez Butts posted:

Well the SR-71 leaked because the panels weren't built to fit until mach 2 or some poo poo

Precisely. If the panels were snug on the ground, then at mach 2 their expansion from heat would buckle them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Someone's been shirking their duties at NAS Fallon.