Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Kalli posted:

I like that they made ready player one into a movie because people have been posting excerpts from the book online and those are really good for a laugh.

Earlier when someone said I was a nerd, I just felt like pointing to the guy who wrote Ready Player One and going like "No... THAT is a nerd"

Ready Player One was when I realized the defining vice of our generation is nostalgia and consumption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

hifi posted:

i thought prometheus was stronger than covenant, and all the criticisms leveled at the new blade runner was applicable to the alien films. prometheus was good and covenant was mediocre

what criticisms were leveled at BR 2049? That movie owned and it only didn't do well because it was a 2+ slow paced existentialist film which is why the first also failed.

Prometheus would have been good if it didn't decide it had to be a monster movie, and then made every character and irredeemable imbecile. The idea of finding god and discovering god is dead was pretty deeply horrifying but it didn't have the courage to stick with that tone and instead made dumb people who cannot run left and a god-like alien super intelligence whose master plan is to run around and kill people with his bare hands

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

hifi posted:

i thought prometheus was stronger than covenant, and all the criticisms leveled at the new blade runner was applicable to the alien films. prometheus was good and covenant was mediocre

The whole thing is just...Prometheus and Covenant shouldn't have had any tie-ins with the Alien universe. If Ridley Scott wants to make weird sci-fi about alien religion and androids then okay, but the ham-fisted explanation of the xenomorph is so stupid.

It was cooler when they were just very scary space bugs.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
What the hell is a Ready Player One

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

3 DONG HORSE posted:

What the hell is a Ready Player One

I mean, I'd be relieved if someone told me these were fake, but I've seen so many, and they're all written in the voice of a twenty something that needs to have the poo poo smacked out of him.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ready Player One was when I realized the defining vice of our generation is nostalgia and consumption

I’m ok with this

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Kalli posted:

I mean, I'd be relieved if someone told me these were fake, but I've seen so many, and they're all written in the voice of a twenty something that needs to have the poo poo smacked out of him.

Hahahahahaha holy poo poo that is awful

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

And of course, Kevin Smith.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Do they ever explain how a homeless poor teenager in a giant slum managed to become an expert in the pop culture of something 65 years in the past?

Like, imagine some dude in the worst part of detroit right now having an encyclopedic knowledge of 50's era pop culture

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Ehud posted:

I don't understand how th same guy who made Aliens and T2 (two of the best action movies ever) made Avatar (which is stupid and boring!)

The Terminator was better :colbert:

They're both great

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

what criticisms were leveled at BR 2049? That movie owned and it only didn't do well because it was a 2+ slow paced existentialist film which is why the first also failed.

Prometheus would have been good if it didn't decide it had to be a monster movie, and then made every character and irredeemable imbecile. The idea of finding god and discovering god is dead was pretty deeply horrifying but it didn't have the courage to stick with that tone and instead made dumb people who cannot run left and a god-like alien super intelligence whose master plan is to run around and kill people with his bare hands

the story was bad and it was more style than substance

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

hifi posted:

so blade runner

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Star Wars was good.

I had some issues because it wasn't what I was expecting but I enjoyed it and the end made me super excited for the 3rd movie in the series. If I remove my expectations of what I thought it was going to be it was very good and I would recommend it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Kalli posted:

This reads like satire.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Earlier when someone said I was a nerd, I just felt like pointing to the guy who wrote Ready Player One and going like "No... THAT is a nerd"

One of my good friends here has become my go-to guy for pop/nerd culture musings and he called this "one of the best books EVER!" and it's really making me question everything else he's told me.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the climax of rpo is when the main character is put into a vr recreation of monty python and has to recite lines for points

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You're right, things were better in the old days.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kalli posted:

none of them are fake

if you're curious about Ready Player One, Former MST3K and current Rifftrax host Mike Nelson and Rifftrax cowriter and producer Conor Lastoka did a book club podcast called 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back to see if the book was as bad as they'd assumed it was when a friend of theirs told them to read it and described it to them.

Spoiler: It was worse than they were expecting.

http://372pages.com/

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

hifi posted:

the climax of rpo is when the main character is put into a vr recreation of monty python and has to recite lines for points

See I can't tell if you're joking or not. Also I would have killed at this when I was in eighth grade.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Put it in spoilers to protect the thread. But I must know.

Are the baddies building another death star?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

hifi posted:

Why was the story bad? I thought it got a bit overly convoluted and implausible near the end, but overall it seemed fine. And really good when compared to the usual hollywood movie with such a big budget.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Do they ever explain how a homeless poor teenager in a giant slum managed to become an expert in the pop culture of something 65 years in the past?

Like, imagine some dude in the worst part of detroit right now having an encyclopedic knowledge of 50's era pop culture

Yea they explain it. I've read the book and enjoyed it for what it was, a really bizarre nostalgia trip wrapped in a weirdly decent cyberpunk setting. It's the poppiest of pop fiction but hell man, get drunk on a plane and read it. It's fun and so loving ridiculous. It does actually circle back around to kind of making GBS threads on nostalgia which felt particularly rich after getting through it.

The synopsis is in the future giant corporations own everything, there's a massive energy crisis, and everyone's poor. The only good thing is this virtual world some weird autistic genius built that's basically perfected VR. They've got tons of worlds with different rules and styles so you can go do whatever you want. The company is wildly wealthy and incredibly insular and set aside money so that every kid gets a cheap VR set so they can go to school in a virtual platform.

The dude who runs it all dies and after his death reveals that he left a series of easter eggs that when solved will make the winner the inheritor of rich dudes estate and the controlling stake in the company. Because the initial clue is about 80s references and this dude was obsessed with the 80s and 90s it sets off an entire generation of desperate people trying to learn all about the 80s to solve the riddle. Years pass and people think it's all bullshit and then this kid solves the first riddle.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 16, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Put it in spoilers to protect the thread. But I must know.

Are the baddies building another death star?

Answer: no. There is no owner destroying weapons in the movie.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Yea they explain it. I've read the book and enjoyed it for what it was, a really bizarre nostalgia trip wrapped in a weirdly decent cyberpunk setting. It's the poppiest of pop fiction but hell man, get drunk on a plane and read it. It's fun and so loving ridiculous. It does actually circle back around to kind of making GBS threads on nostalgia which felt particularly rich after getting through it.

The synopsis is in the future giant corporations own everything, there's a massive energy crisis, and everyone's poor. The only good thing is this virtual world some weird autistic genius built that's basically perfected VR. They've got tons of worlds with different rules and styles so you can go do whatever you want. The company is wildly wealthy and incredibly insular and set aside money so that every kid gets a cheap VR set so they can go to school in a virtual platform.

The dude who runs it all dies and after his death reveals that he left a series of easter eggs that when solved will make the winner the inheritor of rich dudes estate and the controlling stake in the company. Because the initial clue is about 80s references and this dude was obsessed with the 80s and 90s it sets off an entire generation of desperate people trying to learn all about the 80s to solve the riddle. Years pass and people think it's all bullshit and then this kid solves the first riddle.

This is just Sword Art Online. Which also loving sucks.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Those exerpts read like intro to creative writing. People paid for that.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
This whole time I thought it was a biography of obscure 80s arcade gamers lol

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

seiferguy posted:

I saw The Force Awakens not in 3D, but IN 4D!

Basically your seat moves around, smoke fills the room during action scenes, air jets shoot bursts of air when blasters are fired off, water squirts in your face when a tentacle is cut off, they pump flower smell into the theater when Rey goes to the planet Luke is at, and lights will flash during explosions. Thanks, Dubai.

I saw Atomic Blonde with this schtick.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

that sounds awful

It was.

The most jarring thing was getting squirted in the face with cold water whenever there was a huge blood spray. Far from being immersive the whole rocking back and forth, flashes during gunfire, etc actually pulls you out of the movie. Really couldn''t recommend.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Those exerpts read like intro to creative writing. People paid for that.

Ya'll never read any of the True Blood books did you?

Oh man, there's a whole world of terrible writing out there and people who are making tons of money off their garbage work. As someone who loves books it's so fascinating to see.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Why waste time reading bad books when there are so many good books - wisdom of Mel

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is new Star Wars an ESB remake?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Why waste time reading bad books when there are so many good books - wisdom of Mel

Bad books are so fun and easy to get through, it's like watching ridiculous action movies. The cost is pretty low and it's a good palette cleanser from more serious poo poo.

I read Ready Player One after I finished Anna Karenina and before I started Kafka on the Shore.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Why read books when there is chud twitter - wisdom of Spoeank

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

No.

And after a year hoping that it wouldn't be, Christ, I wish it were

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

No, Its probably the most distinct plot of the whole series actually

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

No. It’s actually a REVERSE esb remake.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I feel like that Disney secretly released two different versions of the film and I saw the bad one because I cannot understand the universal acclaim.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I feel like that Disney secretly released two different versions of the film and I saw the bad one because I cannot understand the universal acclaim.

As I can tell there are people who expect the tropes of star wars to happen and are frustrated they don't, and then there are people who are excited that they don't hit them.

Like, the two big twists in the story were amazing, but I think some people don't like how they go against the tide of how the movies usually go

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I'm a big Star Wars fan as everyone well knows. But I'm hardly some fanboy, I hate the prequels and think Lucas was a dimwit who was saved by working around people more competent than he was.

And even leaving out the details of the plot itself the movie felt like a technical mess. It felt bloated, poorly paced, and awkwardly edited.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
They're all trash compared to Kotor. Revan supremacy :colbert:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm a big Star Wars fan as everyone well knows. But I'm hardly some fanboy, I hate the prequels and think Lucas was a dimwit who was saved by working around people more competent than he was.

And even leaving out the details of the plot itself the movie felt like a technical mess. It felt bloated, poorly paced, and awkwardly edited.

It's like we're the same person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I mean, there is kind of an awkward fourth act but everything plot wise is exactly what the series needs to be it's own thing

• Locked thread