Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
One more announcement from Behringer today. They are building a combination of a FX processor and an audio interface. Like the majority of today's stuff, there aren't any pictures, and it is a touch suspect if they'll ever make it to market.

Anyways, here is a quick overview of MAELSTROM if you'd rather not click through to the link:
- 4 Simultaneous TC ELECTRONIC and KLARK TEKNIK FX algorithms with an integrated modulation matrix
- 2 MIDAS preamps
- 6x6 channel USB/audio/MIDI interface
- Multiple classic analog distortion circuits!!
- Stereo VCF. low/high/band-pass modes. Frequency and resonance controls available on the device.
- Stereo FX send and return channels for DAW integration
- 6 endless rotary encoders and an OLED display to control the parameters
- Create 'parameter macros', allowing multiple parameters to be controlled from a single rotary encoder
- Full-color LCD display with encoder for program selection?? (Two displays?)
- Assignable external CV & trigger input and outputs!!!
- 2 Footswitch/Expression Pedal inputs. Assignable to the mod matrix or control functions!!!
- Full MIDI implementation, including NRPN/CC control of all parameters and bulk load/save

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
well ofc they have to put the BPF theyre putting on all the new gear out in its own box

maybe itll sound good? time will tell, gotta say i always wanted a 909 but the tr-09 never rly appealed that much

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Their drum machine page is called drum machines / samplers, so maybe they have an MPC clone on the way too?

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Is there a particular favorite synthesizer for spacey warm pads? The more I dive into synthesis I feel like the less I know. All I have is a minibrute and a Korg Monotron Delay, but I long for sweeping pads
Try out some YouTube demos of the Waldorf Streichfett. It's a simulation of old-school string synthesizers and is around $250 used. You could have the MiniBrute work double-duty as a MIDI controller for it.

I never understand synth descriptions like 'spacey' and 'warm', so feel free to link a few sound examples if you know what kind of sound you're looking for.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Is there a particular favorite synthesizer for spacey warm pads? The more I dive into synthesis I feel like the less I know. All I have is a minibrute and a Korg Monotron Delay, but I long for sweeping pads

Honestly there's not a ton of synths that i'm aware of that specialize in spacey pads, usually I do them with my standard stable of gear. Some definitely lend themselves to it, like the Dreadbox Erebus or SOMA Lyra 8. Polyphony can help too, depending on how you're actually playing the pads, though the Erebus is paraphonic and still makes it work.

But unless you're going for a very very specific style of pad, they're much more about sound design and, usually, effects. Reverb and delay are key. Long attack and release times, and clever modulation routing with slow LFOs will also give you a thick, evolving sound, but it's hard to give specifics without a particular synth in mind.

Edit: The really obvious one I missed is slew rate/glide/portamento.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 14, 2017

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Know Such Peace posted:

Try out some YouTube demos of the Waldorf Streichfett. It's a simulation of old-school string synthesizers and is around $250 used. You could have the MiniBrute work double-duty as a MIDI controller for it.

I never understand synth descriptions like 'spacey' and 'warm', so feel free to link a few sound examples if you know what kind of sound you're looking for.

You've found me out, I can't articulate what I mean either!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Well, lush and rich obviously. That's what you want in pads.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Just bought a Juno-6 off eBay, next state over. Gonna drive out there Friday to look it over (the guy said if it isn’t my thing he’d refund me). Besides checking the keys, and the sliders/buttons for noise, is there anything in specific I should look out for? These don’t have the same voice chip problems the 106 ones do as far as I’m aware. Can’t wait to turn on chorus for days.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
play all the keys, make sure they work, same with all the controllers: knobs, sliders, buttons. should be in tune once it turns on with the DCOs. play six notes at a time to make sure everythings firing, just in case. good luck :thumbsup:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I’m just gonna zip in here and say if Behringer somehow makes even a COMPETENT VCS3 clone I’m selling guitar(s) to get one.

The iVCS3 app with a LaunchControl is pretty good but it has midi stepping issues. (That said it is an amazing app with a solid feature set and good sound.)

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
Behringer just posted on their Facebook page that the leak was an error and the products may be just made up.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

floatman posted:

Behringer just posted on their Facebook page that the leak was an error and the products may be just made up.

MotherFUCKER.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

rickiep00h posted:

MotherFUCKER.

your oh :wink:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

floatman posted:

tbh that just makes me think Behringer is actually attempting to develop these and wants people to know, but doesn't want to get caught with their pants down if they can't deliver on some of them. It's not unlike the company to do something kind of misleading to have their cake and eat it too. If they pull all of them off, they're the heroes of affordable synth clones; if they don't, everybody just thinks "oh silly Behringer, you so crazy!"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Behringer doing something crazy, like having a clone of my Focusrite for 30% of what I paid for it. :smithicide:

(To be sure, the Focusrite is solid enough that I could beat some sense into my singer with it. I would not attempt this with the Behringer.)

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I think in the Cuckoo preview of the deepmind the behringer developer said that there were only a handful of people in their synth division. So maybe the expectation that they could deliver all those pieces in a reasonable time was ambitious. But it's good to know they are trying to double down on the replication game, even at the drawing board stages.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Does anyone have a Doepfer Dark Energy mk. 2?

I got mine a few days ago and it has a really loose power plug. Like, so loose that it can get unplugged by accident. Is this a common thing or do i have a faulty one?

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Top Hats Monthly posted:

It's going to vary heavily depending on personal taste. For long evolving pads I definitely prefer a wavetable synth but any synth with a decent set of modulation options (+ that delay you have and maybe a chorus) should work.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I really like what you can get out of a Korg Trinity. Sadly, I have the TR Rack which has all the sounds but forget editing without a computer.

http://www.synthmania.com/TR-Rack.htm

The on-board effects are absolutely lush, and the keyboard version is ridiculously cheap compared to what it used to cost but just unwieldy and I hope you like blue/white touchscreens and vintage floppy disks. Also, it's probably been gigged heavily so all that silver paint is probably flaking.

According to most people the Triton - the next model - does not sound as good. The Korg TR name is also used for a stripped-down version of the Triton (previously called Triton LE).

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I was actually going to say trinity but felt bad about it :3:
Overly hyped evolving pads just fall out of the thing. It's a lot easier to program than a waveststion or k5000 which would be my other two suggestions. Or Fizmo if you're a glutton for punishment

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I'd go for a Yamaha EX5 (or the EX5-R rack version) then drown it in reverb.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

I got mine a few days ago and it has a really loose power plug. Like, so loose that it can get unplugged by accident. Is this a common thing or do i have a faulty one?

For certain degrees of accident that sounds right. Its just a barrel connector right? Those do get worn down.

Doepfer stuff isn't particularly complicated and you could probably replace it pretty easily if its bothering you. But I'd probably just not touch it.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Do you have an iOS device? If so, you could try out the new Syntronik app. They recreated a ton of legendary synthesizers and include some solid effects as well. It may give you a better idea of what you’re actually looking for. Garageband also has a ton of synth presets if you want to take a look at them.

There is also Korg Gadget. It’s more of a cost commitment upfront, but it’s my favorite app and does 95% of what I need from a DAW.

Edit: You could also look into the Novation Circuit. Novation built in two six-voice virtual analog synths that can be drenched in reverb and delay. The Circuit also gives you drum and/or sample options, and it can even double as a sequencer for your entire setup. I believe it is currently around $280 new and about $200 used.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 15, 2017

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

Dyna Soar posted:

It's only held with solder so it's flimsy feeling and moves around. I have an original DE, I had it for a while on my desktop alongside a DAW, and I used to pull the plug out to turn it off every time because the lfo leds are distracting, and the connection is still fine.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Picked up that Juno yesterday, its pretty beat up but everything works as far as I can tell and it wasn't a bad price! Sat down and came up with something pretty much right away. I'm pretty sure this ones gonna be a keeper, and I'm gonna sell my Deepmind 12. I know the DM12 is a way way way more versatile synth but I never really bonded with how it sounded.

I recorded a quick video that might not be terrible!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frsHaBFQRVE&t=2s

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
um guys I think I may have a problem

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

What was your problem with the DM12 sound? I keep eyeing it up as a synth purchase, and I hear a lot of positive about it so I'm interested to hear why it didn't work for you.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That all seems in order, make some electro

java
May 7, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

How do you like that guy?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Were you expecting an 808?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I don’t see the problem here. Or maybe I don’t want to because I suffer from the same.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The "problem" here is all that wasted space that could be more synths. :colbert:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Has Roland upgraded the TR-8 to the point that people stop trying to buy these drum machines to recreate 80s hiphop beats? I mean, three grand for an 808/909 and you can pretty much use the same money for the TR-8, all the addons and the expansions.

Or maybe I haven't gone deep and far enough yet? Pretty sure I don't wake up in the morning seeing waves and seeing sequences in my cereal. Yet.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

java posted:

How do you like that guy?

No clue yet. It just arrived today, I'm busy as hell all weekend, and I'm still figuring out its sibling in the background.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I just want to double-check, are you talking about the green Aira TR-8 or the newer little TR-08? The TR-8 is pretty cool, but it's definitely missing a few nice things that would put it over the top.

Here is my wishlist for a v2 TR-8 model:
- User Samples
- Distortion/Bitcrusher/Sample-Rate Reduction Effects
- Inputs that can be routed through the internal Delay/Reverb Effects
- Fine-tune the Scatter knob so it's musical in more situations than the current iteration
- Song Mode

The ability to send synth pads into the stereo inputs and easily sidechain or mangle them with the Scatter Effect makes it worthwhile for me.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I see no problem PLUS I see excellent taste in shelving systems.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Looks like livin' the dream to me. Connect all possible CV gozintas/gozoutas and post audio!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Woop! The Behringer Model D is up for pre-order in Europe and it's shipping on the 14th of Jan! I'm so excited - 349 euro for my own Model D :getin:

https://www.musicstore.de/en_IE/EUR/Behringer-Model-D/art-SYN0006136-000

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Hey guys, where do I start with racks? Is there a starter guide for this or am I getting a Server box with a bunch of fans and a power surge rack and just shoving everything in it? I got a bunch of sound modules I like to put in a rack. I know about server racks, but not much about audio-specific ones.

I'm not going down the module path, but most likely looking at audio and tone generators I can put on a rack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Hey guys, where do I start with racks? Is there a starter guide for this or am I getting a Server box with a bunch of fans and a power surge rack and just shoving everything in it? I got a bunch of sound modules I like to put in a rack. I know about server racks, but not much about audio-specific ones.

I'm not going down the module path, but most likely looking at audio and tone generators I can put on a rack.

If loose wires aren't a problem, and you don't have dust / pet / children to worry about, and currently only need a few units of rackspace, the most simple solution is a rack stand. I've got one of these and it's good value for the cost.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TableRackStd

If you want something that you can enclose easily, and are slightly handy, then DIY from furniture, especially Ikea, is a good way to go. A surprising amount of cheap furniture matches the 19" rack standard. Specifically Ikea's Rast and Lack.

If you're a little more handy, then a complete DIY rack isn't a bad idea. Two by fours are cheap, rails aren't quite as cheap. You can build something that matches the size you need for probably less than $10 in wood and $8 to $40 in rails. Here's a page I had followed loosely to build my own once.

If you do go DIY, I recommend getting at least two blank rack panels. You can install these into your rails, and then use that to mark up and set everything up. Makes it much simpler to handle all the measuring.

There are also all the usual rack solutions you see at Guitar Centers and other stores. Those are often built for travel and to take a beating. If your rack mounted stuff isn't moving around a lot, you don't need to spend that much.

There are also other interesting solutions, like desks with racks built in.

Lastly, check Craigslist for 19" racks. Because music and servers use the same standard, there are a lot of interesting used options out there. If you can find a company going out of business or growing/shrinking, you can probably get some of their old hardware for cheap.

Once you have the rack, powering it is pretty simple. Most rack modules use standard power plugs like you would plug into the wall. Think of the rack mounted surge / conditioners as specialty convenience power strips. The difference between ones you probably have elsewhere in your house is that they are built to mount into the rack and probably built to better isolate things to prevent noise.

As you're figuring this out, you can pick things up as you find them. If you get a rack and don't yet have a power conditioner, you can use a power strip you have laying around your house (at the cost of potential signal noise from the power). If you have a conditioner and not yet a rack, you can just pile your rack gear up loosely and start using it.