Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

jivjov posted:

You seem to have either never seen a good post conversion or have never seen a bad post conversion.

It looked like regular 3D. Not special in the slightest. I don't know how much clearer I can be. It's the same effect you've seen every time. It looks clear and bright so it's watchable. But i honestly stopped noticing it after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

SlipkPIe posted:

lol I was surprised to see so many people in here hating this, and then I gradually realized a lot of you were praising the prequels, and now I'm getting the gently caress out of this subforum asap. you monsters

I’m just reminding people that several posters said that they like TLJ because it references and respects the prequels.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

The MSJ posted:

I’m just reminding people that several posters said that they like TLJ because it references and respects the prequels.

This movie is incredibly similar to the prequels. That's why it's good. Probably the most George Lucas a movie can be without him involved.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

If they want to imitate the prequels they could have Tommy Wiseau write all the dialogue and hire actors from a local high school.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

UmOk posted:

This movie is incredibly similar to the prequels. That's why it's good. Probably the most George Lucas a movie can be without him involved.

This is why I'm stoked this guy's getting to do his own trilogy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

UmOk posted:

I dunno, I think future movies could throw in some racist caricatures. Maybe have someone comically step in poo poo.

Just keep your hopes up, buddy. They'll be making these movies till the end of time. One day they'll make a huge turd that everyone hates that you can pretend to like to be a contrarian.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

jivjov posted:

What Coruscant scene? Other than the brief glimpse during the Special Edition montage in RotJ, Coruscant has only appeared in the prequels.

wrong!!!!!!!!!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

UmOk posted:

Legitimately interested to read your explanation of why being similar to the prequels is a good thing!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Legitimately interested to read your explanation of why being similar to the prequels is a good thing!

Because the prequels are good.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

UmOk posted:

Everything in this film was extremely foreshadowed in the first film. I was gobsmacked by how many predictions ended up being true. Everyone who went into TFA and left happy knew this would be good, and how it would be good.

Anyways, just finished the film, first impressions:

Anyone ITT who pretends this film isn't drop dead gorgeous in every aspect is talking out their asses.

I loved the part where the living embodiment of Star Wars burnt Zizek's texts while cackling madly, then told him that passing his knowledge onto the next generation is more important than preserving some of it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I prefer the prequels to the original series. The execution is lacking but they're tremendously more ambitious, the story and character arcs and development of the universe is great, good effects for the time, with great performances by Palpatine and Ewan McGregor who carry the thing on their back and it had a memorable impact on pop culture with the likes of Maul and Grevious and whatnot. Star Wars is okay, Empire is great, and RotJ is okay but it's setting up the Death Star...only to redo the Death Star again with the only significant throughline being Luke - Vader - Palpatine.

I haven't seen Last Jedi yet but the prequels establish the Jedi as a group with their heads way far up their asses and while okay for a police force they're not all that great. That then extends to the original trilogy where the Sith are in charge and triumphant. This then probably, I'm assuming, ties into this movie with Luke.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Neurolimal posted:

Anyone ITT who pretends this film isn't drop dead gorgeous in every aspect is talking out their asses.

It was very pretty cgi, but does that even matter?

Gatts posted:

I prefer the prequels to the original series. The execution is lacking but they're tremendously more ambitious, the story and character arcs and development of the universe is great

What is your favorite character development moment of the prequels?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 16, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate the prequels and love this film. It plays with concepts introduced by the prequels but much better and a billion times more visually interesting.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Sour grapes achieve nothing. The new star wars trilogy is good, be free to accept that you jusged its first chapter too harshly, and had no faith in the second. I say this as someone who does not hate the prequels.

Also: i love that the cute fat birds ended up infesting several planets, the cutest invasive species.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Tenzarin posted:

Is the presumption here that cgi is never ugly?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Neurolimal posted:

Sour grapes achieve nothing. The new star wars trilogy is good, be free to accept that you jusged its first chapter too harshly, and had no faith in the second. I say this as someone who does not hate the prequels.

I have no idea how you got to that from that post. Thanks for pressing your TFA hate agenda on to me, I guess.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Tenzarin posted:

What is your favorite character development moment of the prequels?

Flawed as it is, the entire throughline is Anakin's childhood to fall. It is a tragic storyarc and his moments questioning and showing thought versus the Jedi Council and his development with Palpatine are really good. Ewan starts out as a cocky confident apprentice then becomes a wiser Master Jedi adventurer by the end, he owned that trilogy and I hope we get some side movies with him cause he can carry this franchise on his back.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's an age old question. If a Star Wars film blows up Hosnian Prime and doesn't call it Coruscant does Coruscant blow up in the minds of the audience?

Its similar to the whole does a tree falling in the forest make a sound problem.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Gatts posted:

The execution is lacking but they're tremendously more ambitious

That's the most frustrating thing about the prequels. The story itself is hands down the best of the entire series. Watching a Republic rot from within due to it's own decadence and passivity is a fantastic idea.

...and then you actually watch them.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I thought the whole point when I saw that in Force Awakens was just that Super Death Star was blowing up some populated planet with rebels or a government. It could have been Farts McGeezville and it would have had the same point. Super bad people on a super bad station blow up good guys and innocent people and it is sad and evil and must be stopped.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CelticPredator posted:

I hate the prequels and love this film. It plays with concepts introduced by the prequels but much better and a billion times more visually interesting.

Yeah, the general plot of the prequels was good, it was the writing, acting, pacing and cinematography that hurt it. References to the grander plot of the prequels is, thus, good, because that was never a weak point in the prequels.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

I have no idea how you got to that from that post. Thanks for pressing your TFA hate agenda on to me, I guess.

Pretend I directed that towards the thread in general. The insistence that this film is disconnected from the first and a vindication of the prequels, especially when everyone involved in all three films coordinated ahead of time to form a coherent and seamless trilogy, is so outlandish that it can only be interpreted comically.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/agentbizzle/status/941812377430794240

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

everyone hates

Right.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Gatts posted:

Flawed as it is, the entire throughline is Anakin's childhood to fall. It is a tragic storyarc and his moments questioning and showing thought versus the Jedi Council and his development with Palpatine are really good. Ewan starts out as a cocky confident apprentice then becomes a wiser Master Jedi adventurer by the end, he owned that trilogy and I hope we get some side movies with him cause he can carry this franchise on his back.
it doesnt work. the entire dramatic arc is an abortion because anakin doesn't fall for an intelligible reason. you're dumb.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Zane posted:

it doesnt work because anakin doesn't fall for an intelligible reason. you're dumb.

Anakin fell because Palpatine exploited his love for his wife and mother. He was too old and emotional already so Palpatine had an in.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Why is nobody mentioning the scene where Kylo orders something, Hux repeats it, and Kylo gives him a "Really, fucker?" look? That poo poo was amazing.

Hell, any time Kylo fucks with Hux after he decides to take control.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Zane posted:

it doesnt work. the entire dramatic arc is an abortion because anakin doesn't fall for an intelligible reason. you're dumb.

the ot doesnt work. the entire dramatic arc is an abortion because vader doesn't turn for an intelligible reason. you're dumb.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Zane posted:

The reason makes sense somewhat, but the execution is so shoddy that we don't view Anakin as a heroic character with a tragic fall, we see him as a whiny little bitch idiot who ends up being really selfish and killing little kids and poo poo as a result.

You could keep a lot of the same major plot points from the prequel, and have made a far better series of films that would've been more traditionally tragic and therefore more satisfying to watch.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

MisterBibs posted:

Why is nobody mentioning the scene where Kylo orders something, Hux repeats it, and Kylo gives him a "Really, fucker?" look? That poo poo was amazing.

Hell, any time Kylo fucks with Hux after he decides to take control.

Hux reaching for the blaster on his hip like he's going to ice Kylo, and then snapping back once Kylo wakes up was another exceptional scene.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Yaws posted:

Anakin fell because Palpatine exploited his love for his wife and mother. He was too old and emotional already so Palpatine had an in.

Apparently for some people having characters behaving like human beings who connect them to happiness and the world, that they value them, and fall for them, can be manipulated, a very basic thing since early stories and often greatest stories, is dumb.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

Hux reaching for the blaster on his hip like he's going to ice Kylo, and then snapping back once Kylo wakes up was another exceptional scene.

I loved that too. It felt almost Spaceballian in tone.

"No sir! I wasn't about to shoot you in the face while you were recovering from an exploding lightsaber again!"

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 16, 2017

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Came back from seeing TLJ an hour ago, and I must say I feel very ambivalent about it.

One of the things that bothered me most, at least during the first half, were the snarky quips and jokes that just fell flat. Prime examples are Luke disinterestedly tossing the lightsaber over his shoulder and sarcastically telling Rey that she's so strong in the force and the vice admiral sarcastically asking Poe about his rank. Even if Luke's grown super-cynical, it just strikes me as out of character for him to behave this way, whereas the vice admiral's reaction feels petty and inappropriate given the gravity of the situation. Oh, and of course there was the awkward beginning with Hux not getting that Poe's mocking him. In TFA he came across as a crazy fanatic, here he's little more than comedy relief. And aside from the question of how any given character should behave, I think these - many - moments just don't jive with the sombre storyline.

Another issue I take with this film is that it works very, very hard at reworking key scenes and story arcs from both ESB and RotJ. I am not convinced that it was necessary to repeat all the familiar beats - the plucky rebels escaping their base in the nick of time, the young wannabe Jedi traveling to a remote planet to learn from a master, the vision in the Dark Side cave, said wannabe Jedi breaking off training to chase a vision of the future, the attempt at redeeming the main adversary, the throne room scene with the rebels about to be destroyed, and the dark apprentice's betrayal of his master - and then subvert them in some fashion. Yes, I get that it's tied to Kylo/Ben's hammering on letting go of the past, but when executed in this fashion it seems more like an admonishment to fans of the older films than an earnest attempt at wiping the slate clean. At least Episode 9 is now presumably free to show us something really new.

Comments have also been made about the interminable chase sequence that carries on the general plot. I don't really like either arguing for or against things making sense within Star Wars movies, but given how essential this was to the storyline, I'm kind of annoyed by how contrived it appeared. The basic conceit (i.e. that the smaller Resistance ships could stay ahead of the larger First Order ones) is slightly absurd, if only because you'd expect half a fleet of capital ships to come equipped with enough fighters and bombers to overtake and disable a much smaller force. The catch - that the fleeing Resistance ships could only keep it up for a while - is perhaps even less convincing, because I'm pretty sure fuel limitations were never an issue before, and for some reason the First Order ships seem entirely unaffected by this. And even if I suspend my disbelief, I'm left wondering why the story had to be told in this particular way - especially because, aside from one short space fight and an admittedly visually impressive conclusion, it didn't make for the most tense and compelling cinema. Oh, and what the hell was going on with the cannons firing lobbed shots in space??

The Force's usage in TLJ made me a bit uneasy, too. I'm not a big fan of allowing the Force to do crazier and crazier things with every subsequent film, because before you know it, you've got Kevin J. Anderson's extreme brand of refuse on the big screen and then it'll be all over.

Perhaps more important than most of all of this is that, for some reason, I found it considerably harder to be really emotionally invested in any of the characters than when watching TFA. I even found it difficult to feel excited about Luke - probably because he just seemed so un-Luke-like for most of TLJ. His getting berated like a new student again by ghostal Yoda made it all somewhat ridiculous. Perhaps that was intended as part of the KILL THE PAST mantra, but honestly, as a Star Wars fan, if I know Luke Skywalker's being brought back I loving well expect him to get a treatment like they gave Vader in Rogue One. Having him spontaneously fade out of existence at the end just makes it that more anti-climactic.

It's not all bad, though. The film's generally very pretty, with a few particularly nice-looking scenes; the flying bits are great; and the interaction between Kylo/Ben and Rey is very good. I'm hopeful that Rey in particular will be morally/philosophically put to the test in Episode 9.

At the end of the day I wouldn't consider TLJ bad, but I do think it's surprisingly underwhelming. Maybe my opinion on it will improve after a second viewing, though.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

UmOk posted:

the ot doesnt work. the entire dramatic arc is an abortion because vader doesn't turn for an intelligible reason. you're dumb.
the ot isn't about vader turning. that's what the prequels are about. the ot's dramatic arc is about the growth of luke from nobody to hero, from child to adult. that trajectory is completely intelligible.

the ot is inadvertently smart enough to know that evil is a metaphysical fiction that religion invented to explain bad things that couldn't otherwise be explained. you can't 'fall to the dark side' in a psychologically realistic way. so vader and the emperor are black boxes. they are antagonistic forces against which the real human values of the protagonists are defined.

Zane fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 16, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gonz posted:

And it's at least the second time this has happened to Ben in his life.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Zane posted:

the ot isn't about vader turning. that's what the prequels are about. the ot's dramatic arc is about the growth of luke from nobody to hero, from child to adult. that trajectory is completely intelligible.

The Prequels into the Original Trilogy complete Vader's arc. Vader brings balance to the force or at least comes close. Luke is a part of this but that's not what that story is about. Even this sequel trilogy acts in Vader's shadow with Kylo Ren taking up Vader's mantle. And Luke's growth is really not that good.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i like that this movie had a WW2 bombers-with-ball-turrets scene, a Rashomon style scene twist, sick nasty kurosawa samurai sith, and that super cute resistance girl with the leia-tribute haircut. Gleeson continues to kill it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hux is lucky to be alive at the end of this movie. Maybe Kylo knows he's not much of a leader and he needs someone around who can actually get things done? I think I'd try whoever's No. 2 in the chain of command rather than the guy who will clearly plot against me.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Gatts posted:

The Prequels into the Original Trilogy complete Vader's arc. Vader brings balance to the force or at least comes close. Luke is a part of this but that's not what that story is about. Even this sequel trilogy acts in Vader's shadow with Kylo Ren taking up Vader's mantle. And Luke's growth is really not that good.
people didn't originally fall in love with star wars because they loved the entirely speculative six-episode--abortive--dramatic arc of vader's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

The lightspeed ramming scene reminded me visually of the opening of Akira. Everything goes black and white and silent for a moment as you witness the destructive capability of a suicide weapon. Very reminiscent of Prometheus as well in that regard.

You can really see the skeleton of Johnson's movie weighed down by the fat of the movie Disney wanted to make here. The film suffers for it, but contains enough genuinely interesting and new stuff that I can't call it a failure or even a bad movie. This was a fun watch and I need to see it again sometime.

TFA stuff: I just assumed that the planet that looked exactly like Coruscant and fulfilled the same purpose as Coruscant was a planet in the Hosnian system that got blown up by the Death Star 3.0. It wasn't until much later when I was reading something else that I found out it was some completely different planet that looked exactly the same for some reason.