Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mymla posted:

Gai only knew taijutsu, and he just about killed the final boss of the anime.

Well, penultimate, but I'm sure he was supposed to be the last before Jump decided they wanted a few more months of chapters.

Unlike Lee, Gai knew ninjutsu as well (he summoned a turtle at least twice in the series) but taijutsu was generally all he preferred using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm rewatching Gaara VS Lee and I could not disagree more with whomever said Boruto is better than Naruto ever was even though I haven't seen it yet.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

EmmyOk posted:

I'm rewatching Gaara VS Lee and I could not disagree more with whomever said Boruto is better than Naruto ever was even though I haven't seen it yet.
Pre-Shippuden had some of the better arcs of any anime. I'd put the exams up there as one of my favorite arcs of all time with stuff like Waters 7 from One Piece and the Dark Tournament from Yu Yu Hakusho

Unfortunately all the weebs were catching up with Naruto at school and I was embarrassed to read/watch Naruto right around the time Shippuden started and had 700 episodes of filler.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Boruto is fun because it's like early naruto, before everything turned into chakra gundam.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I'm loving Boruto because it's giving its full cast a chance to grow and breathe before it gets crazy and lets me care about them.

As opposed to Naruto which was banking a lot of its emotional core on the idea that I could ever give even half a gently caress about its worst character.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Naruto must be taken as a whole. If you start chopping out the best of Naruto, even post-time skip, there's enough to build an entire great show or manga.

Much like Bleach, it's not there wasn't some great stuff. It's that the average was woeful. Boring rear end filler, weird thinly veiled sexism, plot twist being a pile of garbage being behind it all, Naruto pissing his pants when he realized SASUKE... BAD??

In that, Boruto is better than Naruto. FOR NOW.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

I think boruto might end up better than naruto

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Boruto is a little less typically shonen and has been almost entirely "filler" up to this point, while still having a really high and consistent level of quality. i think that actually has a lot of people worried about the quality when it starts adapting some less good content from the manga/movies, but i will hold optimism in my heart. so far it has also had some great focus moments for a wider portion of the cast than Naruto did at this point.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I'm worried that they'll try to establish some kind of continuity and eventually adapt the manga, which has been bad.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JahRoo posted:

I'm worried that they'll try to establish some kind of continuity and eventually adapt the manga, which has been bad.

It's already adapted the flash forward that started off the manga as well as Salad Gaiden so that's pretty much a given. Also, since about 90% of this show is anime-exclusive stuff can you really call it "filler" per se?

Now that Boruto's team will finally be formed next week I'm guessing there will be a few more arcs to establish their relationship and then they'll jump straight into adapting the movie (hopefully in a heavily altered format to account for the new cast members), after which we'll probably start getting some manga content. The manga has already established the anime is canon to its events after all. I agree that the anime-exclusive arcs have been much better so far though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 15, 2017

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

dogsicle posted:

Boruto is a little less typically shonen and has been almost entirely "filler" up to this point, while still having a really high and consistent level of quality. i think that actually has a lot of people worried about the quality when it starts adapting some less good content from the manga/movies, but i will hold optimism in my heart. so far it has also had some great focus moments for a wider portion of the cast than Naruto did at this point.
The difference between the Boruto "filler" and the Naruto FILLER is that Boruto just has a vague direction right now and no major dangling plot points that need addressed while Naruto had the show go into 80 episodes of filler that was both mediocre and had left so many cliffhangers before it was easy to burn out on. It was like Bleach being derailed during the Bount arcs which were what, like 100 episodes of filler? At least the Bleach Unknown Zanpakto/Sword Rebellion stuff was genuinely entertaining.

I guess the alternative to filler is the glacial place the One Piece anime moves at that makes it almost unwatchable.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Larryb posted:

It's already adapted the flash forward that started off the manga as well as Salad Gaiden so that's pretty much a given. Also, since about 90% of this show is anime-exclusive stuff can you really call it "filler" per se?

Yeah but if they continue to force that continuity then the anime can't continue to do things with its own characters. Like in the most recent manga chapter they used Sumire for the first time, and it turns out the she stopped wanting to be a ninja and went off to join the science division or something, which is basically forcing the anime to write her out of the interesting part of the story.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Larryb posted:

jump straight into adapting the movie (hopefully in a heavily altered format to account for the new cast members),

I'm pretty sure the director has already confirmed that he plans to alter the poo poo out of the movie arc and do a bunch of stuff that he didn't get a chance to in the movie due to time constraints. Like make the aliens actual characters for one, he had a lot of plans to make them more fleshed out.

Heck, the preview poster for the movie arc already reveals a third villain, so the changes are already there. Also, Sumire has shown up in the manga, so I don't think they're getting rid of anyone.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 15, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

please make boruto even slightly less of a little poo poo in the movie arc

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Ok guys, I have a bizarre request for people in this thread who might know the answer to an incredibly important thing. I recently found out that the SUYA sound effect might be a licence free soundbank sample or maybe a keyboard plugin or something like that. You know what SUYA is. It is this chanting in like half of the Naruto OST. Well, it popped up in a Pokemon game which leads me to believe that it has to be licence free, from a bank of sound effects music producers can pull from, or maybe a keyboard soundpatch plugin. If you know which soundbank it might be in, or how I might find it online, I would be really thankful. I need that soundclip. I could do so much dumb poo poo with it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Suigetsu demonstrates extreme power by realising women will give him the information he wants if he says it's for Sasuke.

It's insanely weird that Orochimaru is allowed come and go as he please and also that his immortality dream came through. Would have made way more sense imo if he realised it's what you do with a limited life that matters not how long you lived when he decided to help. Then you get the redemptive scene without having to deal with his horrific crimes being forgiven in Boruto. Jiraiya loving died!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm sure Jiraiya had more than a few accusers ready to come out by then
Village elders probably called it a wash. It's like if Osama Bin Laden killed Woody Allen.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

EmmyOk posted:

It's insanely weird that Orochimaru is allowed come and go as he please and also that his immortality dream came through. Would have made way more sense imo if he realised it's what you do with a limited life that matters not how long you lived when he decided to help. Then you get the redemptive scene without having to deal with his horrific crimes being forgiven in Boruto. Jiraiya loving died!
Friend there's an Obito redemption and sympathy shown for Madara. There's an attempt to shift the blame from those two onto another character. Even the final villain has sympathy pangs.

Naruto is hosed when it comes to forgiveness creep. "Insanely weird" is pretty much summing it up perfectly.

Meanwhile Danzo is supposed to be super evil except I can't remember why I'm supposed to hate him compared to Orochimaru or the other lunatics. Also pretty much all the kages were portrayed as happily willing to condone or perpetuate war crimes in part 1 and that all got washed away going through part 2.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think the worst thing Danzo did was making the Root kids murder each other at the end of their training.

Trying to kill Sasuke should have more than made up for that, ofc.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sindai posted:

I think the worst thing Danzo did was making the Root kids murder each other at the end of their training.

Yeah, that was very hosed up. He also does a lot of other evil and/or stupid things in the anime.

Danzo gets some sympathy pangs too, though, when he dies and he gets a flashback to Tobirama's death, and it's made clear that everything he did was out of loyalty to Tobirama (or at least his image of Tobirama).

I think the only antagonists who don't get any sympathetic motivation or backstory (excluding filler villains) are Mizuki, Hidan, and maybe the Zetsus. I guess Black Zetsu was acting out of love for his mother, and the spiral thingy attached to Obito is kind of adorably childish.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Also pretty much all the kages were portrayed as happily willing to condone or perpetuate war crimes in part 1 and that all got washed away going through part 2.

Not really. In Part 2 it's made fairly clear that Hiruzen enabled Danzo a fair amount (although some of the more extreme examples of this are anime-only), and at one point A whines about how upset the Leaf was about Cloud ninjas trying to rip out a little girl's eyes. Plus we knew nothing about Stone from Part 1, and then when Onoki gets introduced in the Kage Summit one of the first things we learn about him is that he sometimes hired Akatsuki and in general behaved rather belligerently. It is true that all the horrible things Yagura did turned out to be due to mind control, though, and the more sympathetic treatment Gaara's dad gets when he returns as a zombie is really weird.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 16, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Another Person posted:

Ok guys, I have a bizarre request for people in this thread who might know the answer to an incredibly important thing. I recently found out that the SUYA sound effect might be a licence free soundbank sample or maybe a keyboard plugin or something like that. You know what SUYA is. It is this chanting in like half of the Naruto OST. Well, it popped up in a Pokemon game which leads me to believe that it has to be licence free, from a bank of sound effects music producers can pull from, or maybe a keyboard soundpatch plugin. If you know which soundbank it might be in, or how I might find it online, I would be really thankful. I need that soundclip. I could do so much dumb poo poo with it.

I think it might just be a stock traditional Japanese music sound.

Also I feel like everyone forgets Danzo wanted to turn the Leaf into a full-on military dictatorship

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't mean it wasn't in part 2. I mean it peaked in part 1 and was gradually eroded through part 2 until by the end they're plucky good guy underdogs facing off against the REAL evil of the ninja world.

Although by your examples I'll agree it was a much stronger element into the final acts of 2 that I kinda misplaced. But my point is by the end, they're entirely absolved and we're supposed to think Sasuke is totally crazy for wanting to wipe out this shadow government of war criminals.

Blockhouse posted:

Also I feel like everyone forgets Danzo wanted to turn the Leaf into a full-on military dictatorship
Oh I mean he's a villain by an metric, just that it's weird how he's probably the character the narrative paints the worst.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
orochimaru is impossible to kill, and at the end of the war all sins were forgiven so why not try to make peace with him?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He was also instrumental to their victory by summoning the Dead Kage and allowing them go fight on the good guys side..

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

orochimaru is impossible to kill, and at the end of the war all sins were forgiven so why not try to make peace with him?

Mitsuki is A Good Boy, and his existence pretty much justifies forgiving Orochimaru all on his own.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
orochimaru is a weird gross child molester but he is still a better dad than sasuke. he saw the biggest douchebag in all the land get a pass because beloved hero naruto vouched for him. any kid of his would have a hard time being accepted because their dad was a weird gross child molester, but if mitsuki latched on to someone like naruto he might have an easier time.

it totally worked.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
It doesn't entirely excuse all the war crimes, but I really think it's pretty understandable how much the four ninja nations distrusted each other, and by extension how willing they were to backstab each other when they'd all been basically living in the sengoku period for the past 100 or so years. Or longer? I'm not sure we're ever really given a good sense for how long the war has been going on, even before the nations were formed.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Orochimaru's Immortality always worked, he just needed new host bodies every now and then if the current one got hosed up from memory. When nobody is trying to kill him and he's been resurrected by weird bullshit his immortality probably got a hell of a kick. Also without him I think the Fourth Ninja War was flat out unwinnable?

In any case he's still under total house arrest and not allowed to leave or do anything besides live in his lab and do experiments that he already has set up, he can't even find new victims he has to hope they come to him.

Honestly there's also some really interesting stuff about how even though the Sannin and Team 7 are generally considered very similar a lot of stuff is mixed up. Tsunade and Sasuke were both the Scions of a founding clan with a poo poo-ton of pressure on them from outside forces who get primarily hurt by death of their families. Orochimaru and Naruto are both outcast orphans for the situations around their birth and treated like monsters whilst having superficial physical similarities to an animal. Jiraiya and Sakura are both from civilian families looking to improve their standing among the village who end up watching their team-mates fall apart without really knowing how to stop it.

It's actually really interesting that even with the superficial similarities the actual backstories match up shockingly well for one they don't get trained by.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 16, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Not entirely true, Oro was allowed to go to the Parent-Teacher Conference (in disguise).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Not entirely true, Oro was allowed to go to the Parent-Teacher Conference (in disguise).

Naruto is aware of how important it is to have someone be there for you at family events.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The best thing about Boruto (still haven't watched yet) is that the artist realised that Naruto looks best in the jacket type thingy and that the tracksuits look best when the jacket is unzipped. These are the secrets for the best Uzumaki designs.

His Rock Lee looks bad though :saddowns:

Lord_Magmar posted:

Naruto is aware of how important it is to have someone be there for you at family events.

:3:

e: Is Boruto seasonal like all the good animes these days?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

The best thing about Boruto (still haven't watched yet) is that the artist realised that Naruto looks best in the jacket type thingy and that the tracksuits look best when the jacket is unzipped. These are the secrets for the best Uzumaki designs.

His Rock Lee looks bad though :saddowns:

:3:

e: Is Boruto seasonal like all the good animes these days?

The manga is once a month, the anime is weekly like the previous two shows were. But, kind of like is the case with Dragon Ball Super, the anime is the superior product of the two so you're probably better off just sticking with that.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 16, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Lord_Magmar posted:

Then why didn't he go to the parent-teacher conference???

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Why doesn't Naruto have clones take care of hokage stuff while his real body does important kid stuff so his kid won't hate him? Nobody knows.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sindai posted:

Why doesn't Naruto have clones take care of hokage stuff while his real body does important kid stuff so his kid won't hate him? Nobody knows.

it didn't seem to work very well for Hima's birthday party

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

dogsicle posted:

it didn't seem to work very well for Hima's birthday party

Yes because he sent a clone rather than his real body which was still at the office. This user is suggesting things the other way around.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

reading comprehension aside, the consequences of doing it the other way around would probably be worse

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uh, he could quasi-teleport new clones to the office if something happened. for important meetings and such, sure, he should be present, but for paperwork, why not use a clone? it's not like anything dire would happen if he was delayed by 5 minutes every time his clone sat on a thumbtack or some dumb poo poo.

the real reason is that naruto has to be an absentee father because otherwise kishi's story about absentee fathers wouldn't work. it's a really important subject to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Magmar posted:

In any case he's still under total house arrest and not allowed to leave or do anything besides live in his lab and do experiments that he already has set up, he can't even find new victims he has to hope they come to him.

This is not true. He is stated as having reestablished his Sound Ninja Village as a legitimate one. And has been free to go were he wants when he wants. A leaf Ninja however is almost always spying on his lab or him