Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

tanahashi is the best big match melodrama guy of his generation, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I would refer to it as "sports entertainment" if that wasn't such a loaded term

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Maybe that’s the thing. He’s got the shine and polish. He’s good!

It’s stupid. What got me hooked on NJPW was Shibata/Ishii from WK10. Turns out I like brain damage?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Your Boy Fancy posted:

It’s stupid. What got me hooked on NJPW was Shibata/Ishii from WK10. Turns out I like brain damage?

Hey man nothing wrong with that. The thing that got me into Japanese wrestling many years ago was watching dudes like Kawada,Kobashi, and Misawa beat the poo poo out of each other.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tanahashi has a ton of charisma and fantastic psychology. The Tanahashi/Anderson match from New Beginning several years back is an absolute masterpiece as the match is perfectly structured and Tanahashi's selling and timing are so on that he makes it feel like Ken Anderson will win the title a month after he beat Okada.

He makes everything mean something, except instead of doing it with holds he does it with frog splashes and sling blades.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Same re: WK10. Tana is awesome, he's extremely polished and an exceptionally good worker, but it was the massively different style of Shibata/Ishii that hooked me. I appreciate Tana for what he is now, but it took a while.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sleepwalkers posted:

Same re: WK10. Tana is awesome, he's extremely polished and an exceptionally good worker, but it was the massively different style of Shibata/Ishii that hooked me. I appreciate Tana for what he is now, but it took a while.

And the parallels with Cena continue.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tanahashi got a great match out of Billy Gunn, I cannot hate the guy. He's like Kota Ibushi in that he's constantly searching for the perfect match. Tanahashi puts his heart into art and it shows. I'd call him the gatekeeper to greatness now, tho.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think a lot of people who watched WWE for a long time and are new to NJPW get thrown by the "Japanese John Cena" comparison, which always felt like a backhanded compliment even if you liked Cena, so they go into Tana's matches with a certain mindset, for better or worse. So it's not too surprising that it might take a while to appreciate how great he really is.

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 15, 2017

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
So what's up with Goto vs Suzuki at the Dome? I saw it listed on match list but it had seemed to have vanished.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

So what's up with Goto vs Suzuki at the Dome? I saw it listed on match list but it had seemed to have vanished.

it hasn't been "officially" announced yet. there might be an added hair stip to the match according to an observer radio from a few days ago, but i don't know how accurate that is.

long beach tickets will probably go on sale in feb, right?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Strawberry Panda posted:

Thank goodness I'm only two hours ahead of Tokyo Time so I'll be nicely at home with a pizza and a sixer watching Wrestle Kingdom ;).
J-Ru, you heard the man

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

STONE COLD 64 posted:

there might be an added hair stip to the match according to an observer radio from a few days ago, but i don't know how accurate that is.
Goto did offer his hair vs. the title at the Tag League finals, so an official announcement is only matter of time. Maybe they'll run an angle with Suzuki officially accepting on the Road To shows.

Thinking about it, there's the whole "Suzuki won't say Goto's name"du ng going on. Has Gedo been watching NXT? :v:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i always go into a big tanahashi match hoping that he'll lose, and by the end i'm praying that he's gonna win.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

frankenfreak posted:

Goto did offer his hair vs. the title at the Tag League finals, so an official announcement is only matter of time. Maybe they'll run an angle with Suzuki officially accepting on the Road To shows.

Thinking about it, there's the whole "Suzuki won't say Goto's name"du ng going on. Has Gedo been watching NXT? :v:

Suzuki actually said his name in the backstage interview after that. He also demanded that Goto offer up his life for a title shot.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Tana’s best moment for me was his pitch-perfect one-night heel turn when Okada won the belt from him at I think Invasion Attack. That’s when it really clicked that this guy had a phenomenal ability to give the crowd exactly what they wanted

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Was that the match where he faked blowing out his knee to catch Okada off guard and rolled him up

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oatgan posted:

Was that the match where he faked blowing out his knee to catch Okada off guard and rolled him up

Oh man I need a link to that match. That sounds awesome.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

The comparisons between Tana and Cena are so far off the mark. Cena's hair is nowhere near as beautiful as Tana's

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Short Hair Tanahashi is still a crime

Even if it's beautiful for short hair

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Tana is coastal elite Shawn Michaels

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Jenkem Delivery posted:

The comparisons between Tana and Cena are so far off the mark. Cena's hair is nowhere near as beautiful as Tana's

If Cena had big beautiful anime hair I have no doubt it would be more glorious than Tanahashi's.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

If Cena had big beautiful anime hair I have no doubt it would be more glorious than Tanahashi's.

Problem is, Cena can't due to his years of heavy steroid use. Look at his bald spot.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Book Tanahashi vs Cena in a hair vs Jorts match

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just have to say I am really impressed with how the New Japan Engliah channel is filling up with so much content. I'm amazed they're subbing long press conferences and things like Wonderland. Does anyone know who they have doing the actual subject? The quality of the subs are really high quality, so I wonder if it's an outside firm vs a company employee given extra work.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I just have to say I am really impressed with how the New Japan Engliah channel is filling up with so much content. I'm amazed they're subbing long press conferences and things like Wonderland. Does anyone know who they have doing the actual subject? The quality of the subs are really high quality, so I wonder if it's an outside firm vs a company employee given extra work.

It's Rocky Romero with a set of apple headphones and a notepad.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Charles Gnarwin posted:

It's Rocky Romero with a set of apple headphones and a notepad.

:lol: That's honestly one of the thoughts I've had about who was doing it.

I do love the rules and manner and ticket buying videos they've done.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Can't link tweet cause of phone but Okada is taunting Naito in the press about the Double Main Event in case you thought Naito/Okada didn't have enough heat. Basically said him and Kenny, him and Tanahashi main event Ed but Everytime him and Naito meet at WK it's a double main event

Wrestle Kingdom gonna be great and I can't wait for the top two matches. I also hope they can get Jericho for Long Beach for a match with Naito

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/941635337771552768

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Savage

cams
Mar 28, 2003

this makes it even more perfect

https://twitter.com/KennyOmegamanX/status/941636130901856256

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love Okada, and this just makes Naito beating him even sweeter

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I love Okada, and this just makes Naito beating him even sweeter

My roommate is pro-Okada and things are getting tense. I'm going to be excited to see his disappointment when Naito wins.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
https://twitter.com/IAmJericho/status/941804959850549248 everyone dunking on Naito.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gonna make it more Tranquilo when Naito wins

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Gonna make it more Tranquilo when Naito wins

gently caress. yes.

I really do hope Naito/Jericho feud after Naito wins the title. It'll be so cool.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I guess it'd make sense for the two WK Main Event losers to feud.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

y'all are gonna have to eat humble pie after Toru Yano destroys Okada, Omega, Naito and Jericho simultaneously with a ruthless barrage of powerful dick kicks, thus winning the IWGP Heavyweight, US, Intercontinental, NEVER, RoH World title, and a couple of tag titles just for grins and giggles

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

OGB posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsZCBTpKjHzdbCpKZ1No1KAdpmOd2OcgSMfC1-oa7pI/htmlview#gid=0

This is your new friend.

Thanks for posting this link! I have some tag league to catch up on, and I need to check all these press conferences where people are getting jumped and whatnot, but its great to have a handy list of poo poo to watch once I'm caught up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

you're loving insane if you think naito is winning

• Locked thread