Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Zane posted:

the ot isn't about vader turning. that's what the prequels are about. the ot's dramatic arc is about the growth of luke from nobody to hero, from child to adult. that trajectory is completely intelligible.

The prequels are not about Anakin's turn. That is a small part of the whole. I think you should learn to watch movies better.

And I guess you are agreeing that Vader's turn in the OT is unintelligible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Zane posted:

people didn't originally fall in love with star wars because they loved the entirely speculative six-episode--abortive--dramatic arc of vader's character.

Falling in love with a movie is really weird. Is that what this is about? Do you think liking the prequels is cheating on the originals?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Also it seems pretty obvious now that the reason Johnson has been given his own trilogy is that Disney can see the potential in his work, but it must be safely sectioned off from the mainline movies.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

UmOk posted:

The prequels are not about Anakin's turn.

The prequels are about the parallel between Anakins fall and the fall of the Republic

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

UmOk posted:

The prequels are not about Anakin's turn. That is a small part of the whole. I think you should learn to watch movies better.

Gatts posted:

The Prequels into the Original Trilogy complete Vader's arc. Vader brings balance to the force or at least comes close. Luke is a part of this but that's not what that story is about. Even this sequel trilogy acts in Vader's shadow with Kylo Ren taking up Vader's mantle. And Luke's growth is really not that good.
there is no consistent criteria being advanced for prequels' quality. is it about vader or not?

quote:

And I guess you are agreeing that Vader's turn in the OT is unintelligible.
vader is not a protagonist in the ot. vader and the emperor are black boxes. they are antagonistic forces against which the real human values of the protagonists are defined. in the campbellian hero myth they symbolize forces in the world that the hero (the focus of narrative attention and the site of the human personality) must overcome within the trajectory of his own self-realization.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

UmOk posted:

Falling in love with a movie is really weird. Is that what this is about? Do you think liking the prequels is cheating on the originals?
there are a lot of people crazy about star wars and who hate the prequels if you haven't noticed? :/

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Zane posted:

it doesnt work. the entire dramatic arc is an abortion because anakin doesn't fall for an intelligible reason. you're dumb.

Anakin is trained and encouraged to kill ‘the right people’, in the service of the capitalist Republic, from the age of 8 or whatever. He kills like 3 million people in the first film, and gets a parade partly in his honour.

Then, the twist: capitalism is bad.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Anakin is trained and encouraged to kill ‘the right people’, in the service of the capitalist Republic, from the age of 8 or whatever. He kills like 3 million people in the first film, and gets a parade partly in his honour.

Then, the twist: capitalism is bad.
mind: blown :prepop:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is this the first time a Star Wars action figure has appeared in a Star Wars movie (straw and horse dung Luke)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Zane posted:

mind: blown :prepop:

The satirical point is that Anakin falls to the dark side halfway into Episode 1 and none of the good guys noticed, because they fuckin love the dark side.

You didn’t notice either.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
This movie is the worst movie of the year, worse than Jigsaw, worse than The Snowman.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I did not notice this, but did Luke actually say "laser sword" in this movie?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The MSJ posted:

He did.

Other weird words mentioned in this film:

rear end, bastard, and god

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

Cool band name.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

The MSJ posted:

It felt really out of place too. Like it was mocking all that Star Wars holds sacred

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Samara posted:

It felt really out of place too. Like it was mocking all that Star Wars holds sacred

This is good. He's breaking the 4th wall and really falling to the dark side in making fun of the audience and the sagas. Let the hate flow....

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Samara posted:

Luke is George Lucas

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
e: wait, this was way back in the thread, never mind

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So with Carrie Fisher being deceased in real life, why did they make her such a huge part in this movie? They have her have force powers beyond belief, blow down a door to stun pilot guy, and still at the end of the movie shes alive going on to help lead the Rebellion! When will they let her rest?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

What do people call asses in Star Wars? "Orse"?

Your post actually remind me of one funny line from the Crait battle: "What the hell?" when a piece of the speeder fell off

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Tenzarin posted:

So with Carrie Fisher being deceased in real life, why did they make her such a huge part in this movie?

She passed after most of the production had been completed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Samara posted:

Kylo Ren is first established as an immature young adult who literally worships Darth Vader without understanding really anything about him. Later he decides in a moment of clarity that what came before is not that important, at least insofar as what happens next.

Luke is handed his lightsaber as if it's a +5 vorpal holy avenger. He immediately tosses it away, for among other reasons because it's a material thing with no inherent value. Later he burns the Jedi bibles.

These and many other details are a direct attack on certain fans' obsession with "canonicity" (trivial non-knowledge) and idolatry.

This eighth movie is also about different forms of Zen, which I thought was interesting. Various mentor characters share their theories, and are all intending that they be "surpassed" in different ways, though each has different methods and are frequently surprised (because they are surpassed).

These themes are intertwined with variations on the classic plot beats, so it's got some depth to it in a very Star Warsian fashion that I think watchers will grow to appreciate with time.

OR, some will ignore these fairly obvious elements and fixate on "factual" plot details and the "science."

Name Change fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 16, 2017

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

So with Carrie Fisher being deceased in real life, why did they make her such a huge part in this movie? They have her have force powers beyond belief, blow down a door to stun pilot guy, and still at the end of the movie shes alive going on to help lead the Rebellion! When will they let her rest?

You might not have realised but all of those scenes were filmed while she was still alive.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

cargohills posted:

You might not have realised but all of those scenes were filmed while she was still alive.

"No one's every really gone" got me good.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I thought the movie was pretty cool, if it did drag a bit at times. Most annoying to me was during the badass, QUIET suicide hyperspace scene some dumbass broke the silence by saying "BAM".

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Leia's force powers in the movie are kind of at the low end of the spectrum of what we've seen force users being capable of.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

Leia's force powers in the movie are kind of at the low end of the spectrum of what we've seen force users being capable of.

I'd say Leia's the only Skywalker we've met who isn't on the spectrum

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

PostNouveau posted:

I missed Rey taking the old Jedi books. I guess Yoda blew up that tree to keep Luke from finding out they were already gone

When did this happen? I didn't notice it either but have seen multiple people in the threads mention it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It didn't happen, also Rey was with Luke for multiple days not 16 hours or whatever insane gently caress people have said.

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
Anakin calls lightsabers laser swords in TPM.

"I saw your laser sword. Only Jedi carry that kind of weapon."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Spacebump posted:

When did this happen? I didn't notice it either but have seen multiple people in the threads mention it.

The books show up in a filing cabinet on the Falcon at the end of the movie, but I'm almost positive we don't see when she takes them unless we're to assume she took them as soon as she found them.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 16, 2017

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

When Finn opens some drawer on the Falcon at the end of the movie, all the Jedi bibles are inside.

efb

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

General Dog posted:

The books show up in a filing cabinet on the Falcon at the end of the movie, but I'm almost positive we don't see when she takes them unless we're to assume she took them as soon as she found them.

This is it. We do not see her take them. But they are there on the Falcon at the end.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The satirical point is that Anakin falls to the dark side halfway into Episode 1 and none of the good guys noticed, because they fuckin love the dark side.

You didn’t notice either.
heh. in fact anakin is an important catalyst for the emperor's fascist revolution. imperial fascism is the 'last gasp' of republican bourgeois capitalism. in a dialectical sense anakin is an unwitting class ally of the global proletariat. :smugbert:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What are people's thoughts on the humor in the new movies? The exchange between Poe/Hux specifically.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

What are people's thoughts on the humor in the new movies? The exchange between Poe/Hux specifically.

Everything was better than Jar Jar.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Popete posted:

The gag is cute, but it strains credulity that even a beta bitch like Hux would stay on the line getting made the fool for that long.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Unormal posted:

Everything was better than Jar Jar.

That's not exactly a high bar.

I know Star Wars isn't supposed to be super serious. I think seeing it in theater where people are laughing is also a bit different than at home so it's hard to gauge without seeing it again.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fuligin posted:

i like that this movie had a WW2 bombers-with-ball-turrets scene, a Rashomon style scene twist, sick nasty kurosawa samurai sith, and that super cute resistance girl with the leia-tribute haircut. Gleeson continues to kill it

That resistance girl is played by Billie Lourd; Carrie Fisher's daughter. :)

General Dog posted:

Is this the first time a Star Wars action figure has appeared in a Star Wars movie (straw and horse dung Luke)

Rey has a little cloth Rebellion pilot doll in her AT-AT home. And Luke had a model T-16 skyhopper than might have fit a 3.75" figure.

Spacebump posted:

When Rey is on the Falcon about to hop in the escape pod, you see her rummaging around in the same drawer that Finn later opens and the audience sees the Jedi texts. In a rare case of Yoda being 100% literal, the Tree didn't have anything Rey didn't already have. She pilfered the books and put them on the Falcon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Popete posted:

Awful. Worst way to open a film that isn't supposed to be a comedy. One of the jokes could've made the point but not all three in quick succession.