Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

BGrifter posted:

I posted a few months ago asking whether these were worth it, I suppose it’s time to pay the advice I got forward.

AirPods are the best Apple product in a decade. Absolutely fantastic in every way except the price and that sale helps address the price issue.

Having easy hassle free access to headphones in the lighter pocket of my jeans is the sort of thing that changed my day to day habits. In the past I couldn’t be bothered to dig out headphones from my locker, disentangle the cord and plug them in for a 15 minute coffee break. Now I find myself listening to music and podcasts on my coffee break daily.

Call quality is shockingly good as well. I made a call in heavy wind and rain walking along the highway with heavy traffic next to me with the hood on my hoodie up and the person on the other end said it was as clear as if I was sitting in the room next to them. Whatever noise cancelling magic Apple does is ridiculously effective.

Worth every penny and I paid full price for them.

I just can't gush about AirPods to the same degree all you darn goons can, but I do like them a lot, and I do offer them a ton of credit in one specific way: they got me back into music in a huge way with their convenience. If you have the mind to carry the small case with you, you can be piping music into your ears in about 5 seconds with no wires attaching your head to your pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

BGrifter posted:

I posted a few months ago asking whether these were worth it, I suppose it’s time to pay the advice I got forward.

AirPods are the best Apple product in a decade. Absolutely fantastic in every way except the price and that sale helps address the price issue.

Having easy hassle free access to headphones in the lighter pocket of my jeans is the sort of thing that changed my day to day habits. In the past I couldn’t be bothered to dig out headphones from my locker, disentangle the cord and plug them in for a 15 minute coffee break. Now I find myself listening to music and podcasts on my coffee break daily.

Call quality is shockingly good as well. I made a call in heavy wind and rain walking along the highway with heavy traffic next to me with the hood on my hoodie up and the person on the other end said it was as clear as if I was sitting in the room next to them. Whatever noise cancelling magic Apple does is ridiculously effective.

Worth every penny and I paid full price for them.

I hate reading posts like these because I have weird shaped ears and the AirPods hurt them :(

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

BoyBlunder posted:

I hate reading posts like these because I have weird shaped ears and the AirPods hurt them :(

Yeah it sucks that like 20% of the population can’t use AirPods. Hopefully the competition will be forced to step up their game and make a comparably convenient product.

Apple really hit on what sucks about most Bluetooth earbuds, pairing is awful. Making that smooth as silk, adding great microphones/noise cancelling and the charging case make the whole experience a dream.

When Apple are at their best it’s at recognizing the real issues with a device instead of the popular perception. The average person cares less about a slightly improved rating on Head-Fi than convenience and usability. Instead of chasing tiny improvements in sound quality they made headphones you actually want to use.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

shrike82 posted:

are qi chargers worth it over charging via cables? they've come down to a price where they're an impulse buy but not sure how much more convenient they are

I have the Pleson stand for my nightstand. Set and forget it. No loving with cables, lay it down and its charging. Perfect for over night or when you know you dont need your phone for a bit. I hate HATE HATE loving with the cable to plug it in, and this reduces wear and tear on the port.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

MrBigglesworth posted:

I have the Pleson stand for my nightstand. Set and forget it. No loving with cables, lay it down and its charging. Perfect for over night or when you know you dont need your phone for a bit. I hate HATE HATE loving with the cable to plug it in, and this reduces wear and tear on the port.

That looks like exactly what I want, but $70 on Amazon.ca with $15 shipping from some third party reseller instead of $21.45 USD on Amazon.com. Bleh.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
The gently caress? How much is it to ship from Oklahoma to where you are? If it aint too bad I can buy it for you and you can paypal me or some poo poo.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

MrBigglesworth posted:

The gently caress? How much is it to ship from Oklahoma to where you are? If it aint too bad I can buy it for you and you can paypal me or some poo poo.

I can order it from Amazon.com, they'll just ding me with duty at the border on it for importing it. Or I can wait for a restock on Amazon.ca/an alternative that's similarly priced. Private sellers tend to try to charge absurd prices on stuff in Canada. $100 for a $25 USD item is common.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

yeah when poo poo sells out (it is December) well, I dont' know the system, but it will usually automatically take you to an expensive 3rd price seller on the search

who has every incentive to raise the price in December

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So the newest iOS update that mentions a fix for people locked out of the Home app apparently doesn't fix the problem where you may get stuck at the "Loading Accessories and Scenes" that my wife's phone has had for months now. It works fine on my iPhone that started the Home sharing, and my iPad, but never on her phone. Is the only fix for that to contact Apple and hope they do something on their end?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I have a different Home.app problem where I can’t invite my partner into our home because Home.app denies that either of the 2 email addresses on her Apple account are associated with an Apple ID.

I love and hate HomeKit. It’s fast and reliable when it works, but the poo poo setup and general jank of it make it a total pain in the rear end at times.

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

bobfather posted:

I have a different Home.app problem where I can’t invite my partner into our home because Home.app denies that either of the 2 email addresses on her Apple account are associated with an Apple ID.

Did you update to 11.2.1? I had the same issue until that came out.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

shrike82 posted:

are qi chargers worth it over charging via cables? they've come down to a price where they're an impulse buy but not sure how much more convenient they are

Eh, if its just for bedside charging its not worth it.

The real advantage is if you pick up your phone a lot at your desk at work. Now I leave work with a full battery.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

BGrifter posted:

I can order it from Amazon.com, they'll just ding me with duty at the border on it for importing it. Or I can wait for a restock on Amazon.ca/an alternative that's similarly priced. Private sellers tend to try to charge absurd prices on stuff in Canada. $100 for a $25 USD item is common.

Check out this one from amazon Canada https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075XCC6YX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I‘ve has it for a few weeks and it works fairly well

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

The Gillman posted:

Check out this one from amazon Canada https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075XCC6YX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I‘ve has it for a few weeks and it works fairly well

Sounds good. Threw it on my wish list for later. I’ve got to put an order in on Amazon for a bunch of odds and ends anyway.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Are there any good guesses on when/if a new SE will come out? I’m hoping to replace my 5S soon but I don’t want to buy an SE if it’ll just get upgraded within the next year.

I’m the guy who just wants the cheapest iPhone. I don’t really do a lot with my phone besides the basics, but I use my Mac and iPad all the time and it’s nice to keep my phone in that same ecosystem.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tankadillo posted:

Are there any good guesses on when/if a new SE will come out? I’m hoping to replace my 5S soon but I don’t want to buy an SE if it’ll just get upgraded within the next year.

I’m the guy who just wants the cheapest iPhone. I don’t really do a lot with my phone besides the basics, but I use my Mac and iPad all the time and it’s nice to keep my phone in that same ecosystem.

I don’t expect them to upgrade the SE until the 6S is discontinued.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

tankadillo posted:

The current rumour suggests Apple are working on a new SE, probably/possibly out next March. That would put it two years after the release of the SE, which was also released outside the regular iphone release schedule.

There was a rumour a few months back which got repeated with a bit more detail a couple of weeks ago, so that might mean something, but there's certainly been nothing concrete yet and I've no idea how reliable the originators of the rumour are.

Whether it's going to be the same 5S/SE frame with upgraded internals or an entirely new phone isn't known. There's a chance it's a baby X, in which case it may well not be that inexpensive, but that seems like a bit of a stupid thing to do considering how much margin Apple makes off the current SE which still sells really well.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

spunkshui posted:

Eh, if its just for bedside charging its not worth it.

The real advantage is if you pick up your phone a lot at your desk at work. Now I leave work with a full battery.

Big disagree on the first point. Being able to just grab the phone to answer a text or kill an alarm and then toss it back on a charger without a cable dragging through all my other nightstand clutter has been a pure joy.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

BoyBlunder posted:

Same. If they are shaped exactly like the ones that come with the phone, AirPod would constantly pop out of my right ear and be painful as gently caress.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Housh posted:

Same. If they are shaped exactly like the ones that come with the phone, AirPod would constantly pop out of my right ear and be painful as gently caress.

Anecdotal, but I’ve found AirPods to fit a bit better than EarPods, especially when it comes to secureness.

However, they still work a bit loose while walking/running. While one hasn’t fallen out, yet, I have bought some Earhoox on Amazon to see if they help with active stuff (not ideal, since you can’t store/charge the pods with any sort of accessory on ‘em).

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else noticing way improved battery life after the recent update? I've got a 6+ and just browsing around on Safari would drain ~1% every couple searches or so and it would drain ~10% overnight, after updating it seems like both issues are fixed. Obviously I'll need a few more days to be sure, just curious if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Hello Spaceman posted:

Anecdotal, but I’ve found AirPods to fit a bit better than EarPods, especially when it comes to secureness.
I've found this too, but I'm thinking that maybe it's the movement of the cable that has always been the problem rather than the shape of the actual headphones.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

What does this little bar under the signal/battery indicator mean? It’s only just started appearing since the last update.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 18, 2017

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think they put that there recently on the X to denote which side you swipe down to get whatever (I don’t have an X).

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, that makes sense. Looks a bit poo poo though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I want it to go away, much like the home swipe bar

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Yeah I’d love an option to switch both off, now. It’d be ok for the first week of use maybe.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Question Mark Mound posted:

I've found this too, but I'm thinking that maybe it's the movement of the cable that has always been the problem rather than the shape of the actual headphones.
That gives me hope. I would only use them for commuting as I'm happy using my backbeat fit for working out.

Maybe I'll pick up a pair in the new year.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

Anyone else noticing way improved battery life after the recent update? I've got a 6+ and just browsing around on Safari would drain ~1% every couple searches or so and it would drain ~10% overnight, after updating it seems like both issues are fixed. Obviously I'll need a few more days to be sure, just curious if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

Yep, 11.2 shockingly made my 6s+ battery pretty good again

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yep, 11.2 shockingly made my 6s+ battery pretty good again

Glad I'm not the only one. I don't know when it started but a couple weeks ago I think was when I noticed that browsing was loving killing my battery life, then I forgot to plug it in one night and the battery was almost dead when I woke up. I just charged it to 100% and sent a couple emails, a couple texts and searched for a few things and it's still at 100%.

:shrug: whatever this update fixed, i'm glad of it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

buglord posted:

Otterbox Communter is awesome, Symmetry if you still want to enjoy relative phone slimness, Defender if you want to be like my dad but also you want to sell your phone for maximum value. They're all like 50 bucks but id reccomend going to your carrier store because they surprisingly have deals on phone cases sometimes, and they're generally happy to let you try a bunch of cases on.

Avoid Lifeproof like the plague. That goes double if you're trying to be water proof. I dont know how they get away with selling such cheap plastic garbage for 90 dollars :confused:

why do you say this? my wife just got a lifeproof because it purported to be waterproof

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

why do you say this? my wife just got a lifeproof because it purported to be waterproof

They say it is but it really isn't. I've never had one but from reading it cracks too easily and they flat out refuse to replace any damaged phone.

I've read enough to say avoid them.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Aren’t iPhones more or less waterproof these days unless you take it swimming with you for an hour

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iPhone 7 and newer are rated waterproof to 30 feet for 30 minutes, so yeah, unless you are snorkling for an hour, a waterproof case is unnecessary.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

mastershakeman posted:

The plastic build quality feels incredibly cheap for the price you’re paying. The thing with waterproof, is that it’s only as waterproof as the weakest link. And there’s plenty of weak/cheap links on the case which can compromise the waterproofness. Hinge gets loose after a while, the rubber volume buttons tear over time, plastic gets nicked.

I guess I should say that it comes out of the packaging as definitely waterproof. But awful build quality undoes that within weeks of ownership. I’m just a lazy couch potato college student and that was seemingly too much action and adventure for lifeproof.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

iPhone 7 and newer are rated waterproof to 30 feet for 30 minutes, so yeah, unless you are snorkling for an hour, a waterproof case is unnecessary.

No. iPhone 7, 8, X are IP67 rated. The 6 means no ingress of dust in an 8 hour test. The 7 means ingress of water in a harmful quantity is not possible when immersed 1 metre for up to 30 minutes. IP68 (like the S8) changes it to 'manufacturer specified depth', 1.5 metres for the S8 for up to 30 minutes.

30 feet is 9 metres. Don't do that to your IP67 iPhone. At 1m, the pressure is is ~1.1atm. At 9m, the pressure is ~1.9atm, or almost 2x the pressure (~1.7x). It hasn't been tested at those depths.

Also, this is all talking about static water. Currents, jets, etc will change the possibilities.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 18, 2017

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Anyone else having GPS issues on the iPhones with wireless charging?

Found this on the apple forums...

APPLE FORUMS posted:

I had issues with the gps right from the very start with the iphone 8. It couldn't pin down my location and would freeze up constantly on the way to a destination. I had the same problem in multiple apps including Apple and google maps, so it had to be an issue with the hardware or software of the phone itself. I called support and we tried multiple reboots and things, nothing worked.

I found a post way down in the thread where someone mentioned the GPS not working specifically in their Hyundai Sonata. I drive a 2011 Hyundai Sonata so I decided to do a test. I couldn't believe it, but sure enough the GPS didn't work in the Sonata but it did in other cars! More specifically, if you mount the phone near the center console of the vehicle the gps would be thrown off. The interference occurred whether or not the radio was on.

To sum it up, something from the Sonata's center console was messing with the GPS. My hypothesis is that due to the new wireless charging capabilities some form of EM interference was picked up by the phone and threw of the navigation.

Please try your iphone 8 in different cars if you can, that might be the issue. I finally decided to trade mine in and get a 7 as i needed navigation ASAP.

I have an iPhone 8 plus, and my GPS has been total crap compared to my 6s plus.

I also drive a Sonata but mines not 2011. :tinfoil:

Im going to try moving my phone to the driver side window, but is this even possible?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I'm having issues with missing text notifications while using Apple Maps which is annoying.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

spunkshui posted:

Anyone else having GPS issues on the iPhones with wireless charging?

Found this on the apple forums...

I have an iPhone 8 plus, and my GPS has been total crap compared to my 6s plus.

I also drive a Sonata but mines not 2011. :tinfoil:

Im going to try moving my phone to the driver side window, but is this even possible?

I use a ProClips system that attaches to my A Pillar so my 8 plus is sitting just above the dash on the driver's side. I haven't had any issues with GPS, but I also don't have a wireless charger in the car. My mount has an integrated charging cable instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I watch 4.5 hours of anime in the shower every day without a case and no issues so far.