Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Prof X made the school invisible and using cerebro cranked to 100 to make everyone forget mutants existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Plus with Captain Marvel they're doing a 90s period piece. Between that and Ant-Man pushing back the dawn of the superhero to the 60s, I'm thinking the mutants have been there all along, but some sort of event will awaken the X-gene. Having a reverse House of M with Scarlet Witch is a good event as any.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hey, how far along is shooting for Avengers 4? Because if its early enough in the process, they could bring the X-Men in near the end of the film to help save the universe, the threat of Thanos and the Gauntlet being enough to bring them out of hiding at last.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jng2058 posted:

Hey, how far along is shooting for Avengers 4? Because if its early enough in the process, they could bring the X-Men in near the end of the film to help save the universe, the threat of Thanos and the Gauntlet being enough to bring them out of hiding at last.

Disney's acquisition of Fox will literally not close for 12 to 18 months as it undergoes regulatory scrutiny (and all the other due diligence and poo poo that goes with a loving massive M&A). The X-Men are not showing up in Infinity War 2.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 42 minutes!
Soiled Meat
And even if the deal closed and was approved tomorrow, its too late to make any production changes, and changes like adding a new crew to the story are going to be massively time-consuming and expensive. Everyone's going to watch the movie anyways so it's hard to argue that they'll have increased ticket sales to justify the costs.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Timby posted:

Disney's acquisition of Fox will literally not close for 12 to 18 months as it undergoes regulatory scrutiny (and all the other due diligence and poo poo that goes with a loving massive M&A). The X-Men are not showing up in Infinity War 2.

There is no law that says fox can’t let Disney use the characters in the mean time

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Top Gun posted:

There is no law that says fox can’t let Disney use the characters in the mean time

why would they do that

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Top Gun posted:

Fox has an X-Men movie in post-production, Deadpool 2 coming out in two months, and both Gambit and New Mutants ready to start shooting soon (supposedly, anyway ... New Mutants is cast but Gambit lol). They aren't going to let Disney do weird poo poo with their brands in the meantime and in the off chance the deal is rejected by regulators (although lol at the idea of Trump saying no to Murdoch).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ynohtna posted:

No, more mutants!

Lol this got me good

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Small correction to Timby's post: New Mutants began shooting July 10 and wrapped some time before Sep 8.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The addition of X-Men will certainly make the next Marvel "phase" more enticing to people. There's not much reason for them to overcrowd Infinity War 2: Forever War.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

NowonSA posted:

Ironically Agents of Shield has set up a good approach for how they should handle lots of the existing Fox Marvel properties, let them keep on going and tie in to the MCU when appropriate (which will typically be not at all) while having the MCU barely ever touch on them. Just because they have the license doesn't mean they should immediately lump in all the characters to the MCU or make sure that everything fits in to that framework.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

My fave example of this is in Avengers, when everyone is given a DHS folder that says “surprise! Aliens exist and here’s a bunch of footage of Thor, the Marvel version of Superman who is literally a god. BTW it turns out that Old Norse was the correct religion all along.”

And then it just cuts to five minutes later and nobody gave a poo poo.
I really enjoyed the Punisher series, but it's ridiculous and even jarring to imagine that this show is set in the MCU. The other Netflix shows I've watched made vague, coy references to the battle from The Avengers and about how there's weird poo poo out there. The Punisher is a show where most of the characters have dealings with the highest levels of government, and have lots of dialogue about the nature of war and violence and power wielded in secret, and no one even makes a vague reference to how the world has changed since we found out Erich von Daniken was right about everything.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Halloween Jack posted:

I really enjoyed the Punisher series, but it's ridiculous and even jarring to imagine that this show is set in the MCU. The other Netflix shows I've watched made vague, coy references to the battle from The Avengers and about how there's weird poo poo out there.

Marvel's TV division literally cannot make references anymore to the movies. All the stuff from earlier shows (like all the Winter Soldier fallout in Agents of SHIELD, or "the big green guy" reference that's in, I think, Luke Cage) were written long before Kevin Feige's putsch.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

Marvel's TV division literally cannot make references anymore to the movies. All the stuff from earlier shows (like all the Winter Soldier fallout in Agents of SHIELD, or "the big green guy" reference that's in, I think, Luke Cage) were written long before Kevin Feige's putsch.

That is the funniest thing to me

Able to buy loving Fox itself

Still can't get rid of Ike.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

feedmyleg posted:

Plus with Captain Marvel they're doing a 90s period piece. Between that and Ant-Man pushing back the dawn of the superhero to the 60s, I'm thinking the mutants have been there all along, but some sort of event will awaken the X-gene. Having a reverse House of M with Scarlet Witch is a good event as any.

I wonder if Ant-Man and Wasp will be partially in the past using the old Ant-Man and Wasp.

Timby posted:

It's the Trump era, the Republicans own the government atm. It's going to go through faster than it should. I think mutants will be in the MCU by 2019 at the latest. Really would not shock me if reality gets remade at the end of the film and a couple of mutants are in the post credits scene.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I really enjoyed the Punisher series, but it's ridiculous and even jarring to imagine that this show is set in the MCU. The other Netflix shows I've watched made vague, coy references to the battle from The Avengers and about how there's weird poo poo out there. The Punisher is a show where most of the characters have dealings with the highest levels of government, and have lots of dialogue about the nature of war and violence and power wielded in secret, and no one even makes a vague reference to how the world has changed since we found out Erich von Daniken was right about everything.
I think its time for Americans to accept the Doctor Who idea of continuity, where it only matters when writers want it to. Otherwise who cares.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Halloween Jack posted:

I get what you're saying but it's probably for the better. I like it when characters stay in their own lanes and corresponding scope and power levels.

Crossovers and continuity can be fun but can also be stifling and overly complex to the point that the stories collapse under their own weight. I see signs of it beginning to happen already and tend to gravitate towards the films and shows that have to deal with a fewer cast of characters and backstories.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

I think its time for Americans to accept the Doctor Who idea of continuity, where it only matters when writers want it to. Otherwise who cares.

that's how all continuity works

canon is a fake idea pushed by charlatans

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Spacebump posted:

I wonder if Ant-Man and Wasp will be partially in the past using the old Ant-Man and Wasp.

It's the Trump era, the Republicans own the government atm. It's going to go through faster than it should. I think mutants will be in the MCU by 2019 at the latest. Really would not shock me if reality gets remade at the end of the film and a couple of mutants are in the post credits scene.

They already got Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch into the end of Winter Soldier and Ultron by calling them "miracles" instead of "mutants" so it will be interesting to see if Marvel works any more semi-Avengers/semi-X-Men characters that are mutants in the comics that way in advance.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Brother Entropy posted:

that's how all continuity works

canon is a fake idea pushed by charlatans

Continuity is used to push the idea that you aren't a fan unless you own a complete run.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

They already got Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch into the end of Winter Soldier and Ultron by calling them "miracles" instead of "mutants" so it will be interesting to see if Marvel works any more semi-Avengers/semi-X-Men characters that are mutants in the comics that way in advance.

"Interesting" is one word for it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/941793764649132032

I'm going to be pissed if fanboys say these costumes are better than the ones from JL.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/941811274505076738

Probably won't change anything but I appreciate the effort.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 16, 2017

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Timby posted:

All we get nowadays are the same newspaper clippings in the background referencing the Battle of New York we've been seeing since S1 of Daredevil. I swear I saw them in The Punisher but just as background decoration.

Timby posted:

Fox has an X-Men movie in post-production, Deadpool 2 coming out in two months, and both Gambit and New Mutants ready to start shooting soon (supposedly, anyway ... New Mutants is cast but Gambit lol). They aren't going to let Disney do weird poo poo with their brands in the meantime and in the off chance the deal is rejected by regulators (although lol at the idea of Trump saying no to Murdoch).

New Mutants is coming out in March, Deadpool 2 in June and Dark Phoenix in November as far as X-Fox films in post-production (meaning past the point of no return, they will get released). The Gambit film is pretty much dead at this point seeing how it has no cast as you mentioned and Fox isn't going to plan out more X-Films with the Mouse about to take the reigns. Any other film that got announced via a "source" on Facebook like Multiple Man and X-23 is completely dead.

Spacebump posted:

Avengers 4 is already in post-production because it was filmed back to back with Infinity War and less than 18 months from release. Marvel won't be able to re-write the ending where Galactus shows up to stop Thanos or anything as much as that would be awesome. The best we can hope for is as you mentioned a few mutants showing up in a post-credits scene.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm going to be pissed if fanboys say these costumes are better than the ones from JL.

The new Birdman movie is looking good.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

These look fine. The Robin shot looked well enough too. Not really seeing a problem here but whatever.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Robin looked god damned fantastic. Hawk and Dove look... passable. Not godawful

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Dove needs a lot more bright white

But bright white is super loving hard to actually do on a practical suit, so I guess I can't blame them

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Burkion posted:

Dove needs a lot more bright white

But bright white is super loving hard to actually do on a practical suit, so I guess I can't blame them

I think you know well who's got it down

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Well weren't they humans infected with the mind stone somehow?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think you know well who's got it down

Super hero movies need to use spandex more

They won't because it doesn't look great on the big screen but goddamn is it a nice material for stunt work

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Shageletic posted:

No they are Magnetos Children. Anything Joss Whedon said is a lie.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hope Thanos uses the Gems to break the 4th wall and wipe Whedon's stench away then the studio reveals they rectonned the previous 2 Avengers movies away and all future releases will have Avengers 1 made by Michael Bay and Avengers 2 made by Paul Verhoven and this was being done the whole time they were making Infinity War and that's why the Budget was so expensive.

If anything for the shear retardedness that brings.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Shageletic posted:

Yes, a part of me wishes they explain that because I don't know how the mind-controlling Infinity Stone unlocks powers. Yes, I'm applying critical thought to Comic Book Science.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Justin Godscock posted:

Yes, a part of me wishes they explain that because I don't know how the mind-controlling Infinity Stone unlocks powers. Yes, I'm applying critical thought to Comic Book Science.

Well you see the power was in their minds all along because all the genetic markers that make up the section of the brain that's mutated were triggered by the Gem to flow their powers through their bodies and regulate. It affected their biological mind through their mental mind with a nudge to the micro-organisms within which have some minor degree of instinctual consciousness to kick start the process and "wake up" from their nap.

Think of it like midochlorians...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Burkion posted:

Super hero movies need to use spandex more

They won't because it doesn't look great on the big screen but goddamn is it a nice material for stunt work

Yeah, the trend is toward putting muscle suits on guys even after they do intensive bodybuilding for the role, and spandex actually makes muscular people look like poo poo.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 20, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I get what you're saying but it's probably for the better. I like it when characters stay in their own lanes and corresponding scope and power levels.

Crossovers and continuity can be fun but can also be stifling and overly complex to the point that the stories collapse under their own weight. I see signs of it beginning to happen already and tend to gravitate towards the films and shows that have to deal with a fewer cast of characters and backstories.
Well, I'm not asking for the show to be different. I think that would be lovely, actually. What I'm getting at is that people should be less hung up on plot continuity, and the ideas like for example that more continuity is why the MCU is beating DC.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Neo Rasa posted:

It's going to be interesting to see how they deal with Magneto being a Holocaust survivor. Do they keep him super old or have him get de-aged somewhere along the way? (Or decide in the MCU his powers slow down his aging.)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Continuity is used to push the idea that you aren't a fan unless you own a complete run.

The wise master looked down and said "Canon is a lie."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, the trend is toward putting muscle suits on guys even after they do intensible bodybuilding for the role, and spandex actually makes muscular people look like poo poo.

A great example is Superman Returns. Routh got loving JACKED for that, yet they had to put padding in his suit because they used a spandex blend and it made him look tiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

"the X-gene if dormant can be triggered by danger or whatever infinity stones are super dangerous so being near one triggered the awakening of mutant powers" it makes as much sense as "this gem with the power to influence minds made a guy able to run fast"

• Locked thread