Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Chalks posted:

Does anyone know how much this update will cost? There's so much in it that I'd probably be willing to pay the full price of the game again at this rate.
Probably $20 since that's been the price for large Stellaris and EU4 expansions so far.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sindai posted:

Probably $20 since that's been the price for large Stellaris and EU4 expansions so far.

$0

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Artificer posted:

How do you make Federations? I can't see a way to raise opinion higher past the Trust cap, and they're still only "cordial" and still have a crippling -50 base to a federation request... Do I just dump a metric ton of minerals into a target empire as a bribe right before I offer the invitation?

I mean, yeah that does actually work, a bribe can give you enough edge to make an important deal.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

In my federation run I ended up having to switch my offensive/defensive/passive war policies to try and entice others into joining it, on top of all the other things mentioned already. I don't think the members that are already inside the federation will care too much either. I could be wrong on that last bit, but that's how it went for me.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Once they're in, the +100 makes things way more flexible.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

How do people handle 'X will not join a Federation with Y'? Is that insurmountable?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Split Pea Superman posted:

Would having a little chess board, or hex board if that's your thing, pop up during invasions be interesting? On one hand so much of combat is abstracted that I'm not sure something like this would fit, but on the other hand I think I'd much rather prefer the game streamlines economy and adds more tactical depth.

Having played the (only?) 4x game I can think of that does this - it sucks. It really sucks. So much so that that game actually removed the player controlled tactical ground combat as an expansion feature.
I think the most tactical depth you can have in a 4x with ground combat is MoO3's implementation. You pick a stance/tactic for your army, the opponent picks a stance/tactic for his army and then things happen based on your army composition, the enemy army composition and your respective tactics and the interactions of those 4 things. Making the player have more control is just too much stuff to do when there's still the rest of the game going on. Any less and you might as well abstract the ground combat away almost entirely.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And I hope the cherryh update lets you place building tiles and building tile upgrades like the "build pop" option to build multiple. Or, have an "upgrade everything" button

gowb posted:

Armies are cool so i hope they don't get rid of them. The game would be less good if you couldn't invade planets with a horde of psychic lizards riding aliens and predators
making generals worth buying would be a real amazing feat of the devs for sure, since I could use that really valuable leader slot on more scientists for research assistance or admirals

Thyrork posted:

Its a one line dev post.

"We're removing it and adding components to ships that make them break planets faster."

E: Okay to be serious. I'd miss discovering titanic life if this happened. Its a delight to find a giant monster world and make them your friends who fight fanatical purifiers with you. :allears: "You thought the galaxy was full of horrors that you needed to destroy. Turns out, You were right!"

The storytelling moments this game has is wonderful. Like the Fronds of Gold story earlier.
that was awesome until I realized I could make 3, and only 3, units of them. And then they got caught in an unlucky ambush and died in space, and I couldn't build more units of them ever again.

Conskill posted:

Bear in mind not even Paradox has done something this extensive before with their games. CK2 adds good content (and EU4 bad cruft), and sometimes they get around to modifying a system or two per major release.

This is to my knowledge the first time Paradox has decided to rip out the entrails of one of its games and replace them with new, cybernetic entrails. So far for free. This is a pretty bold experiment, but I hope it gets received well.
people will find that it's far more efficient, but hate it for being part cold, soulless machine.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

that was awesome until I realized I could make 3, and only 3, units of them. And then they got caught in an unlucky ambush and died in space, and I couldn't build more units of them ever again.

Machine empires have it easy, you can tech up your armies until you eventually get first AI-battle mechs, then your own mechanoid titans (basically Warhammer 40k titans). At the end I had dozens of titans and hundreds of the smaller mech armies. I just couldn't stop making new ones!

There's something oddly hilarious of dropping four titans and half a dozen mech regiments on a heavily defended planet and seeing the morale of all defenders immediately break. :allears:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
The only advantage I can see to having an army of 3 titans vs. an equally powerful & expensive army of 30 infantry regiments is the invasion fleet moves faster when playing wormhole ftl nations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just build 50 xenomorphs across all my planets evenly then queue up 300 more on a bunch of planets to build forever while I do other poo poo and then I never have to worry about invasions ever again because they're over in about half a second

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Libluini posted:

Machine empires have it easy, you can tech up your armies until you eventually get first AI-battle mechs, then your own mechanoid titans (basically Warhammer 40k titans). At the end I had dozens of titans and hundreds of the smaller mech armies. I just couldn't stop making new ones!

There's something oddly hilarious of dropping four titans and half a dozen mech regiments on a heavily defended planet and seeing the morale of all defenders immediately break. :allears:

Last time I got the Kaiju from the titanic life planet, I added some psychic warrior attachments to them. only time I've ever bothered with attachments.

And yeah, enemy morale broke instantly every time. OH poo poo ITS PSYCHIC GODZILLA

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Hey Wiz, was there a reason the way the planet list as organised was changed? Originally it added planets directly to the end of the list, but somewhere along the way it changed and now they just get jammed into the list randomly. It's not planet class, it's not age, it's not size and it's not alphabetically, I'd love to know how it's organised.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

King Doom posted:

Hey Wiz, was there a reason the way the planet list as organised was changed? Originally it added planets directly to the end of the list, but somewhere along the way it changed and now they just get jammed into the list randomly. It's not planet class, it's not age, it's not size and it's not alphabetically, I'd love to know how it's organised.

Pretty sure it's organized by distance from the homeworld

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CainsDescendant posted:

It tries to be but once you start to conquer other worlds it the order gets hosed. I wish we could just drag them around and order how we'd like.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

King Doom posted:

Distance from your capital planet.

e:f, always reload first.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Have the developers given any hints or vague ideas as to when the patch changing travel will happen?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

CainsDescendant posted:

ulmont posted:

Distance from your capital planet.

e:f, always reload first.

Ah, right! Thanks guys. Next question, did anyone say why they made the change from age to distance?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

King Doom posted:

Ah, right! Thanks guys. Next question, did anyone say why they made the change from age to distance?

It's supposed to be more obvious where to find them in space. Also, some things are still sorted by age instead of distance. Also also, the list of source planets that pops up when you go to colonize a new planet should sort by distance to that new planet instead of showing oldest -> newest. It should probably also show how long it will take each planet to spew out a new colony ship based upon what is in the queue and how many upgrades the space port has.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!

Diogines posted:

Have the developers given any hints or vague ideas as to when the patch changing travel will happen?

October: "Not soon".

My personal guess is late February or March. They haven't even started the paid content dev diaries yet. When they do is when you can probably start counting down to release.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nevets posted:

The only advantage I can see to having an army of 3 titans vs. an equally powerful & expensive army of 30 infantry regiments is the invasion fleet moves faster when playing wormhole ftl nations.

Another advantage (for machine empires): Every time you click to build a titan, you essentially build ten armies at once. So in a extensive and long war, you'll be crippled by carpal tunnel syndrome long before your enemy's hand gives out. :v:

It also makes moving them around less stressful for all types of FTL: Think about how agonizing it feels to lose 30+ clicks at once if that transport fleet gets into harm's way. A machine empire player on the other hand, three clicks and his entire force is replaced.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Question/Complaint: Do pops in gestalt consciousness empires migrate? I'm playing driven assimilators, and just took over a savanna planet with some alpine-preference residents. Although they are immune to unhappiness, being cyborgs, their poor habitability is costing productivity. I can't really afford the influence to move them all, and I'd rather not completely purge them and resettle the planet. At present my main solution is just to ignore it and occasionally gaia-form planets because gently caress it, it's not like I'm short of cash.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DatonKallandor posted:

Having played the (only?) 4x game I can think of that does this - it sucks. It really sucks. So much so that that game actually removed the player controlled tactical ground combat as an expansion feature.
I think the most tactical depth you can have in a 4x with ground combat is MoO3's implementation. You pick a stance/tactic for your army, the opponent picks a stance/tactic for his army and then things happen based on your army composition, the enemy army composition and your respective tactics and the interactions of those 4 things. Making the player have more control is just too much stuff to do when there's still the rest of the game going on. Any less and you might as well abstract the ground combat away almost entirely.

MoO3 is the same game that removed tactical ground control?

My hope would be reducing the 100 something clicks it takes to fully upgrade a 20 tile planet to a more manageable 10-15 clicks, and then adding in tactical invasions that would involve no more than 10 clicks. You could still keep the building tiers, just add in an auto-upgrade all/minerals/energy etc. box with the ability to re-order the construction queue.

Split Pea Superman fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 16, 2017

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

darthbob88 posted:

Question/Complaint: Do pops in gestalt consciousness empires migrate? I'm playing driven assimilators, and just took over a savanna planet with some alpine-preference residents. Although they are immune to unhappiness, being cyborgs, their poor habitability is costing productivity. I can't really afford the influence to move them all, and I'd rather not completely purge them and resettle the planet. At present my main solution is just to ignore it and occasionally gaia-form planets because gently caress it, it's not like I'm short of cash.

no

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

gowb posted:

Armies are cool so i hope they don't get rid of them. The game would be less good if you couldn't invade planets with a horde of psychic lizards riding aliens and predators

Same, sending machine legions to forcibly disassemble rampaging godzillas was p cool

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Would having a little chess board, or hex board if that's your thing, pop up during invasions be interesting? On one hand so much of combat is abstracted that I'm not sure something like this would fit, but on the other hand I think I'd much rather prefer the game streamlines economy and adds more tactical depth.

I could see trying to drop an army on a specific tile having various effects. Maybe your lovely armies of baby starfish weaklings need to blanket the planet and support neighboring tiled armies to win. Maybe landing an avatar in the capitol causes them to capitulate much faster, maybe dropping clone commandos on the capital and putting 4 regular armies around it is enough.

Militia could form from the actual pop. You could set your own armies up in the way you think would be most defensive. Maybe even have secret forces that don't show up to invaders unless they get landed on. You could even have situations like the planetary shield generator prevents bombardment, so attackers may want to drop guys in and have them pillage that tile first. Invasions could be like a simple minigame that's fun to play. Or you could just have a general run the thing for you and you dump off guys like now.

Armies and generals could be made more valuable if they dumped defensive armies and just had regular ones. You might want to pick up a defensive general for once. They should probably have a mechanism like fleets for armies too.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ConfusedUs posted:

Last time I got the Kaiju from the titanic life planet, I added some psychic warrior attachments to them. only time I've ever bothered with attachments.

And yeah, enemy morale broke instantly every time. OH poo poo ITS PSYCHIC GODZILLA

I hear he was a veteran of the psychic wars.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I could see trying to drop an army on a specific tile having various effects. Maybe your lovely armies of baby starfish weaklings need to blanket the planet and support neighboring tiled armies to win. Maybe landing an avatar in the capitol causes them to capitulate much faster, maybe dropping clone commandos on the capital and putting 4 regular armies around it is enough.

Militia could form from the actual pop. You could set your own armies up in the way you think would be most defensive. Maybe even have secret forces that don't show up to invaders unless they get landed on. You could even have situations like the planetary shield generator prevents bombardment, so attackers may want to drop guys in and have them pillage that tile first. Invasions could be like a simple minigame that's fun to play. Or you could just have a general run the thing for you and you dump off guys like now.

Armies and generals could be made more valuable if they dumped defensive armies and just had regular ones. You might want to pick up a defensive general for once. They should probably have a mechanism like fleets for armies too.

All of this would be great. Invasions occurring in phases would allow for even more variety. Do you drop your big units first for a shock effect, but risk having defensive batteries shoot them down, or do you send in waves of chaff until they're able to secure the AA batteries. Maybe sending in those xeno-morphs in later stages is a really bad idea if you're planning on keeping the population, and not have them angry at you for the next 100 years.

Dropping the bombard stage in favor of drawn out battles would also allow for generals to shine more. Maybe the number of tiles your fleets can focus fire is determined by the general's skill. If the game implements a doctrine system like HOI you might be tempted to favor certain unit types. A general that focuses on propaganda might have bonuses to morale damage, and reduce the strength of resistance movements.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
imo xenos should count as dangerous tech and have the chance to get out of hand. Also should have some diplomatic malus as a horror weapon and I like the idea of going nuts with atrocities will make the planet hate you, even if empires don't really care that much. Although it wouldn't be that good if the decision was too binary and you ripped children from their beds to eat or you arm the pillow cannons and nothing in between.

also maybe there should be other longer term effects that have some influence on how the pops will behave after the invasion. So maybe armies have settings for the way they fight like how there are policies for bombardment. The more ruthless the policy the more of an effect it has on the pops, but also the more effective they are at getting the planet faster.

Maybe using unfeeling murder machines could put pressure against materialism. Psi troops could breed distrust in spirituality. Same with other ethically flavored troops like slave armies.
Maybe invasions could trigger events down the line like you sometimes get with uplifting or examining primitives. Like "oh poo poo Lt rear end in a top hat went nuts and vaporized the space nuns: [recruit new general with brutal traits + planet is displeased / court-martial + planet is a little less pissed at getting invaded]"

e: with xenos it would be interesting if you heavily used them and it ended up seeding a planet that becomes invaded like when godzillas get pissed, but if you don't resolve it very quickly instead of just occupying the planet they break off and become a new hive mind devouring swarm or something

e2: ethos flavored armies like with the droid armies making the pops not like materialism example it could be kind of interesting, because that kind of army is most likely to be used by materialists, so you'll naturally get more rebellion/succession pressure as well, but it doesn't have to be a super mega huge effect unless you activate devastation protocols.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 16, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Your xeno troops have eaten too many pacifist brains and now feel that war is wrong and bad

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Your xeno troops have eaten too many pacifist brains and now feel that war is wrong and bad

Luckily, we saved the brain-genes of our most sociopathic generals and the cloning banks are working overtime as we speak.

Really, why can't I get psi jump drives once I go through synthetic evolution? The brains are right over there, and the psychics won't need them once I march them into the uploading factories.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
After commanding the extended bombardment/ aggressive invasion on planet X admiral/general has declared themselves pacifist/rebels. Lose ships and armies, anti-war or rebel faction founded/ increased support.

Could have another event type for exterminators and xenophobe ethics.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Hilariously, something like this can happen even to your machine generals. Not that he started losing battles, mind you. He just felt really guilty while his titans stomped one puny organic army after another.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
WHY WAS I PROGRAMMED TO FEEL GUILT

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kujeger posted:

WHY WAS I PROGRAMMED TO FEEL GUILT

The event was even oddly fitting: He was described as starting to feel real sad after massacring too many organics, which is what he did: He was my main general and had taken about a dozen worlds at this point. None of which put up any serious resistance, it was just about a dozen armies on each world dying like chumps as soon my combined mech/titan army dropped on them.

Apparently even a robot can feel guilty if it kills enough people.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Nah it was the much maligned Star Drive 2.

vvvArmy composition and deciding to allow NBCs make a big difference too. Control where it matters.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 16, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

You still have control in MO3. You choose a tactic from a list, then your enemy on the planet chooses their own tactic at random, then your armies fight it out and you randomly win or lose. See, plenty of control? :v:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Which is no different from Master 2, or Master 1. Send them in, combat rolls based on your techs, you win or you lose. About the only game I can think of at the minute that did tactical ground combat in addition to space combat was Imperium Galactica 1 and 2.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Libluini posted:

The event was even oddly fitting: He was described as starting to feel real sad after massacring too many organics, which is what he did: He was my main general and had taken about a dozen worlds at this point. None of which put up any serious resistance, it was just about a dozen armies on each world dying like chumps as soon my combined mech/titan army dropped on them.

Apparently even a robot can feel guilty if it kills enough people.

I got that while playing as Rogue Servitors, which felt pretty appropriate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bloodly posted:

Which is no different from Master 2, or Master 1. Send them in, combat rolls based on your techs, you win or you lose. About the only game I can think of at the minute that did tactical ground combat in addition to space combat was Imperium Galactica 1 and 2.

Space Empires V has tactical ground combat. You can even design your own tanks!

Edit:

There's also Imperium for the Atari ST, which however resolves everything without player input, so I don't know if you could call it "tactical" combat if you don't actually control your armies and their super-detailed statistics.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 16, 2017

• Locked thread