Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I just got an offer for a full time Firefighter/EMT position. Benefits are good, pension, but very low volume and no room for professional growth. I'd be running the ambulance crew, so in charge during my shift Ms.

I'll be getting an offer next week for another just Firefighter position. Benefits aren't as good, better pay in the next year, and room for growth, but I'd be ground level. Also I could walk to work.

I'm stumped, goons. It's a win/win. What should I do?

E:

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kalli posted:

I like that they made ready player one into a movie because people have been posting excerpts from the book online and those are really good for a laugh.

It's hilarious to me that people would recommend that book in nerdy arenas all the time and then one of the Gawker orphan sites posted excerpts and it is possibly the shittiest writing I've ever seen.

I've played video games that have better writing.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

axeil posted:

It's hilarious to me that people would recommend that book in nerdy arenas all the time and then one of the Gawker orphan sites posted excerpts and it is possibly the shittiest writing I've ever seen.

Its Rinaldo posted:

They're all trash compared to Kotor. Revan supremacy :colbert:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Yea they explain it. I've read the book and enjoyed it for what it was, a really bizarre nostalgia trip wrapped in a weirdly decent cyberpunk setting. It's the poppiest of pop fiction but hell man, get drunk on a plane and read it. It's fun and so loving ridiculous. It does actually circle back around to kind of making GBS threads on nostalgia which felt particularly rich after getting through it.

The synopsis is in the future giant corporations own everything, there's a massive energy crisis, and everyone's poor. The only good thing is this virtual world some weird autistic genius built that's basically perfected VR. They've got tons of worlds with different rules and styles so you can go do whatever you want. The company is wildly wealthy and incredibly insular and set aside money so that every kid gets a cheap VR set so they can go to school in a virtual platform.

The dude who runs it all dies and after his death reveals that he left a series of easter eggs that when solved will make the winner the inheritor of rich dudes estate and the controlling stake in the company. Because the initial clue is about 80s references and this dude was obsessed with the 80s and 90s it sets off an entire generation of desperate people trying to learn all about the 80s to solve the riddle. Years pass and people think it's all bullshit and then this kid solves the first riddle.

Ok and then I read that and say "huh that's an interesting plot hook" and get mad at myself for wanting to read RPO because the idea sounds interesting but the execution is a loving nightmare.

I really like cyberpunk stuff and there hasn't been anything that interested me in it since last year when I read a story about people turning into monster things somehow.

I think it was called Skullcrack City. It wasn't great but it was at least interesting.

Edit: actually David Wong's take on cyber punk was pretty good and I think that came out last year. I laughed a bunch. Also the villain is basically an alt-right online troll which I wish I had appreciated or understood better at the time.

Its Rinaldo posted:

They're all trash compared to Kotor. Revan supremacy :colbert:

Kreia Was Right

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 16, 2017

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

186 posted:

I just got an offer for a full time Firefighter/EMT position. Benefits are good, pension, but very low volume and no room for professional growth. I'd be running the ambulance crew, so in charge during my shift Ms.

I'll be getting an offer next week for another just Firefighter position. Benefits aren't as good, better pay in the next year, and room for growth, but I'd be ground level. Also I could walk to work.

I'm stumped, goons. It's a win/win. What should I do?

E:

I'd take the fire fighter gig, but that is me. Coming in as a probie isn't a terrible thing, especially if you are a good worker and eager to learn. Theres also the getting the hell off the box if you can as much as possible where job 1 sounds like you would spend most of your days?

Do you know how stable fhe departments are? Either have any cause for concern over layoffs?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

axeil posted:

Yeah this movie doesn't seem like Spielberg is going to be able to spin gold from absolute trash like he did with Jaws

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Ehud posted:

The whole thing is just...Prometheus and Covenant shouldn't have had any tie-ins with the Alien universe. If Ridley Scott wants to make weird sci-fi about alien religion and androids then okay, but the ham-fisted explanation of the xenomorph is so stupid.

It was cooler when they were just very scary space bugs.

Super Mecha Godzilla's only good post is about Prometheus

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I really want to see The Last Jedi but don't want to wait until my wife gets back in three weeks. Not because she'd be mad that I saw it without her (and I'm sure I'd just go again) but because I would feel weird going to a movie by myself.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I really want to see The Last Jedi but don't want to wait until my wife gets back in three weeks. Not because she'd be mad that I saw it without her (and I'm sure I'd just go again) but because I would feel weird going to a movie by myself.

do you not have any friends nearby?

But go by yourself, it's fine and not a big deal. Plus you don't have to share your candy.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Well let's get down to brass tacks: this film is hilarious.

Guy Pearce in an old man suit appears out of nowhere, says "i want immortality," and then gets bludgeoned to death with Michael Fassbender's still-conscious severed head. This is funny. No, it's the funniest film I've seen in theatres since District 9.

Weyland's death is a stock ironic comeuppance played for extreme camp. The film glosses over it because it know that this is a trope. The glib speed with which it dismisses the search for immortality is the same with which it dismisses all the other characters' motivations. Dude say he wants money? DIES. Dude says he wants friendship? DIES. These aren't random deaths. They are equated by this same tone and attitude. Humans are stupid and die because they're stupid.

David reads Liz Shaw's dreams and then tells her straight up: you are a shallow character. Her dream looks like a hallmark card. "Your entire motivation is that you're infertile and your dad died of Ebola. I just summarized it in two sentences." The moral: robots don't have souls, and neither do people. But the robot is smarter because he understands this. If you've seen Blade Runner, you know what the warm-toned recording of the dream of a happy family means. It means she's a replicant.

"It's a quote from a movie I like."

Look at the specific quote from Lawrence of Arabia: 'the trick is not minding that it hurts'. David's character feels everything the humans feel, but he doesn't mind it. He's built up his ironic distance, he constructs his own identity and puts on an incredibly campy performance. The whole film aligns with his POV. As I said in general chat, Prometheus is a masterpiece of straight-faced camp.

The very first shot is quoted from 2001 (it's a quote from a movie I like). Prometheus is transparently Scott's grand statement on Science Fiction as a genre. It's not 'hard' science fiction. It's "Science Fiction", deeply embedded in quotation marks. The Prometheus/Pandora myth is like Scifi 101, first day of class. It's THE example of mythological proto-scifi. It's referenced in Frankenstein, the first piece of Science-Fiction literature. Alien references it. The films that Alien references reference it. The films that reference Alien reference it.

So the characters fly into space seeking all the answers to their questions, and what do they find? A rational, promethan man locked in an unending struggle against a irrational, pandoric vagina monster. Just slapping against eachother until there is a literal, onscreen shuddering climax and postcoital release. Again: this is funny! You can imagine people staring at this scene and saying "hmm... what does this all mean?" Or, better yet: "how did the squid monster grow so big without a food source?" - just angrily looking for logical clues in this prolonged sequence of a vagina and penis locked in combat.

Scott's grand statement on sci-fi is to issue a moratorium. The point of Prometheus is that these stories pretty much always boil down to the same basic archetypal conflict. The humans are painfully mundane - they are all artificial. Only David sees through the guise and understands that he's a character in a movie. This is a loving ode to gleefully bad sci-fi.

Important scene: Naomi Rapace looks at some bleeps and bloops on a screen. Two bar graphs allign. "This is it," she cries. "This is everything!" We cut back to the bar graph, and watch it bleep and bloop a while longer. Wow, what an impressive bar graph. Next scene, it turns out she just wants to get hosed. 

There are two distinct scenes in the film of wacky dames who just need a good deep-dicking. One gets an abortion, the other crushed by a huge black protuberance. A guy smokes pot and then dies instantly. This is Friday the 13th logic. The class conflict in Alien is notably absent. All these people are rich idiots, so we're not supposed to cheer for them. Idris Elba, the closest thing to a 'lower class' character puts on a Southern Accent, says YEEHAW! and rockets his ship into a wall to save the day. Michael Bay would give an approving nod. 

Why is there a zombie scene? Because it's wonderful slapstick. He gets shot like fifty times and his head gets run over. I couldn't stop laughing. But more importantly, the 'zombie' exists to shows us what Charlie was turning into. For a second, I though it was Charlie, back from the dead. Again, this treats the characters as slightly interchangable.

There are at least two shots lifted straight from Luigi Cozzi's (in)famous Italian Alien ripoff Contamination. 

Prometheus owns.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

weird Asian candy posted:

I'd take the fire fighter gig, but that is me. Coming in as a probie isn't a terrible thing, especially if you are a good worker and eager to learn. Theres also the getting the hell off the box if you can as much as possible where job 1 sounds like you would spend most of your days?

Do you know how stable fhe departments are? Either have any cause for concern over layoffs?

I've actually been a volunteer/Paid on Premise at the second department for a while, so I get along well, I'd just be coming in as a rookie and not, say, engineer or officer. Still, a good start. As for the first, my primary duty would be EMS, then fire as needed.

The first is municipal, the second is private that has a very good working relationship with the municipality. No layoffs have ever taken place (we're adding people, actually), and the first department I'd be the second career person in it's history.

I just wanna ride a red truck and pull a horn and go weeeooo.

C-Euro posted:

I took a half day at work too go see Rogue One alone. I was one of probably 5 in the theater. It owned - no lines, no annoying people around me, and I didn't have to work.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Going to movies by yourself is no big deal. I've done it on business trips and I'm doing it next week because my wife has no interest in Thor Ragnarok and I have time off & she doesn't.

Granted I work by myself all day every day so doing things alone is less of a deal for me than most people. I eat lunch alone five drat days a week and my only work friends are podcasts

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

186 posted:

I've actually been a volunteer/Paid on Premise at the second department for a while, so I get along well, I'd just be coming in as a rookie and not, say, engineer or officer. Still, a good start. As for the first, my primary duty would be EMS, then fire as needed.

The first is municipal, the second is private that has a very good working relationship with the municipality. No layoffs have ever taken place (we're adding people, actually), and the first department I'd be the second career person in it's history.

I just wanna ride a red truck and pull a horn and go weeeooo.

Sounds good either way man. I would probably go for 2nd, especially if you already know and like the department and guys (not to mention knowing the streets and nature of calls) it will make your transition so much easier. Better pay after your first step. Room to promote which sounds like you want?

Which way are you leaning? What is the pull to job 1 over job 2? Just the benefits?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

do you not have any friends nearby?

But go by yourself, it's fine and not a big deal. Plus you don't have to share your candy.

Spoeank posted:

Going to movies by yourself is no big deal. I've done it on business trips and I'm doing it next week because my wife has no interest in Thor Ragnarok and I have time off & she doesn't.

Granted I work by myself all day every day so doing things alone is less of a deal for me than most people. I eat lunch alone five drat days a week and my only work friends are podcasts

I also forgot to mention that I'm a huge introverted goober and if my wife isn't around and I don't have a regularly-occurring event to attend, it's nearly impossible to get me to leave the house.

She left this morning to go spend three weeks overseas with her family and I was looking forward to sitting on my rear end playing video games and drinking bourbon all weekend for the first time in months if not years, and then my uncle died suddenly so this weekend is funeral time wooooo :smith:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i hate podcasts

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

hifi posted:

i hate podcasts

That's... a really weird thing to hate as it is a specific form of media.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I like history podcasts. But I literally can't be doing anything in addition to listening.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

hifi posted:

i hate podcasts
Chapo is good even though I'm starting to find out a lot of people in my DSA chapter actually hate them a lot (especially those in the Socfem committee), for some reason they hate Amber and Felix the most.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I like history podcasts. But I literally can't be doing anything in addition to listening.

I can really only do them while long-distance driving. I don't commute, so...

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I forgot that we get Saturday football this week

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

hifi posted:

the climax of rpo is when the main character is put into a vr recreation of monty python and has to recite lines for points

Andy Reid is getting too damned cutesy with these Run/Pass Options imo.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

C-Euro posted:

then my uncle died suddenly so this weekend is funeral time wooooo :smith:

Sorry about your loss, friend. Losing a family member is the worst.

As for podcasts, I am constantly driving so I listen to an inhuman amount of podcasts. I've mastered 2x so it's really insane. I listen to 10-15 or so podcasts a day.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i guess i'll never be old because i still listen to tunes in the car

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I’m with Spoenk, going to the movies by yourself is the tits, especially in the middle of the day. Especially especially in the middle of the day when you’re baked out of your gourd and watching Fury Road by yourself in the theater.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

cosmic brain: going to movies by yourself to critically analyze them

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Update on my GF puking in my hat: she has decided to give up booze for awhile but I am under no such restrictions so free DD I guess?

Edit:. She threw up in the Sox hat I won at an industry party raffle, took my Patriots hat, wrapped them together, and hid them on the train somewhere. I think it was subconscious

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Update on my GF puking in my hat: she has decided to give up booze for awhile but I am under no such restrictions so free DD I guess?

A while = maybe 48 hours

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

swickles posted:

A while = maybe 48 hours

Yeah. The hilarious thing is she is always the model example of the responsible, adult, beer aficionado. 2 beers in a night usually.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

achillesforever6 posted:

Chapo is good even though I'm starting to find out a lot of people in my DSA chapter actually hate them a lot (especially those in the Socfem committee), for some reason they hate Amber and Felix the most.

I love people that go out of their way to mention how much they actually don't like Chapo, it's hilarious to me

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
I liked Star Wars. As far as the blockbusters of the year I liked it more than anything but Thor. Haven't seen Wonder Woman

I've never gone to the movies alone but might start. Too often no one wants to see the same poo poo as me and I just don't go. Still haven't seen Get Out for that reason

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Edit:. She threw up in the Sox hat I won at an industry party raffle, took my Patriots hat, wrapped them together, and hid them on the train somewhere. I think it was subconscious

This might sound sarcastic, but trust me when I say it's not: put a ring on that ASAP.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Donald Trump may not have the body count of other terrible presidents (yet) but he is by far the most cartoonishly evil of them so far.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/941556207856373760

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I save revolutions for my long drives to and from Atlanta.

I like chapo fine but I don’t make a point to listen since I feel like I read them in cspam already.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I like podcasts but I listen to too drat many of them and need to cut back. Like for some reason I still listen to both the west coast and east coast Bombcasts despite not owning a home console newer than a Wii.

Spoeank posted:

Sorry about your loss, friend. Losing a family member is the worst.

Thanks, I'm going out of mourning for him as much as I am out of sympathy for my mom, she's really beat up about it.

Also last I heard he died in a car crash in which he wasn't wearing a seatbelt so...wear your fuckin seatbelts goons!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

weird Asian candy posted:

Sounds good either way man. I would probably go for 2nd, especially if you already know and like the department and guys (not to mention knowing the streets and nature of calls) it will make your transition so much easier. Better pay after your first step. Room to promote which sounds like you want?

Which way are you leaning? What is the pull to job 1 over job 2? Just the benefits?

I'm leaning 2 due to the higher volume, and I don't worry about being bored stiff all day, but 1 has far better benefits and a pension. Neither are IAFF (yet), but the Chief for 1 set up the benefits to match nearby IAFF departments.

It's a good problem to have, I guess! IT is crushing my soul.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

Chapo is funny but it's a podcast of bearded white hipsters living in gentrified Brooklyn saying "retard" and "pussy" and regularly making GBS threads on identity politics. It's not really compatible with a lot leftist spaces.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Skwirl posted:

This might sound sarcastic, but trust me when I say it's not: put a ring on that ASAP.

It's in the works. She honestly hates both teams too

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I gotta get some robot vacuums that can deal with pet hair. Right now I vacuum on the weekend but it seriously takes a couple of hours because of my stupid dog. And this is with me brushing him every night.

HOW DO YOU SHED A FULL UNDERCOAT EVERY SINGLE DAY

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Collect all the hair and make yourself another dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

He is such a good dogg tho Ehud! :allears:

We had a dog who had a double coat and he shed like freaking crazy and it was the worst thing.

186 posted:

I'm leaning 2 due to the higher volume, and I don't worry about being bored stiff all day, but 1 has far better benefits and a pension. Neither are IAFF (yet), but the Chief for 1 set up the benefits to match nearby IAFF departments.

It's a good problem to have, I guess! IT is crushing my soul.

Oh 2 doesn't have pension? That's a big deal...I see your dilemma. Either way you are career fireman which is the end goal right?

That's tough...pension is one of the biggest perks to the job. Do they do some sort of 401k matching in leui of pension?

• Locked thread