Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Yeah, I'd watch them for the same reason I read this thread: vicariously living The Rotary/Fx Life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If someone else is doing the editing and post-work that's most of the work. Consider over-dubbing afterwards if you're not happy with narration.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I would be really into watching rotary/rx7 shenanigans in video form

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to give it a shot and hopefully it won't be too terrible. Haha. We'll have to see where this goes.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

the spyder posted:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to give it a shot and hopefully it won't be too terrible. Haha. We'll have to see where this goes.

Watch old Road Kill or Mighty Car Mods episodes to see how far they've come since their earliest outings.
It takes time. Hell even AvE's stuff has gotten better over the last several months and that's just a voice and hands.
You'll do fine.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

extreme_accordion posted:

Road Kill
Mighty Car Mods
AvE

A mix of these 3 would be perfect!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay, who's gonna be the wacky sidekick?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

Okay, who's gonna be the wacky sidekick?

Doesn't he have a brother that keeps wrecking miatas? Or was that another goon

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Raluek posted:

Doesn't he have a brother that keeps wrecking miatas? Or was that another goon

That's him. HIs brother is performing a valuable service in creating Exocet donors :getin:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BloodBag posted:

That's him. HIs brother is performing a valuable service in creating Exocet donors :getin:

Sounds like he's got his foil, then. :q:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I would absolutely watch even though I have no practical reason to learn about rotaries. Give it a shot and don't keep it up if it doesn't give you what you're looking for.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

dreesemonkey posted:

I would absolutely watch even though I have no practical reason to learn about rotaries. Give it a shot and don't keep it up if it doesn't give you what you're looking for.

That's OK, rotaries have no practical purpose any more.
With any luck, you will catch the buck and then need to put one in something silly. I think a rotary Polaris Slingshot would do.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Darchangel posted:

That's OK, rotaries have no practical purpose any more.

Did they ever? Doesn't mean that you shouldn't learn about them or use them, because they're cool as hell.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yes, when piston engines were strangled by emissions controls (and the supercar scare) and even a v8 had under 200hp, the rotary had 125hp and was lower in emissions as well. So 1975-1980 was hilarious, and up to 1990 you could still have a pretty quick car compared to everything else. After early mid 90s the party was over, all the tech from the piston performance and race/rally starting showing up in the cheaper cars, and even the cheap domestics got a 30kw extra as well.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Combined with the fact that you had to add oil because they burn it as part of normal operation. Back in the 70s and 80s, that used to be common on all engines, but starting in the 90s, engine tech got to the point that mom never needed to check the oil in her Camry, and yeah... The RX8 suffered because no one read the manual and a lot of them ran dry.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
The oil metering pump was throttle activated. I went through less than 1L /10,000* km as a daily and not flooring it everywhere. That's less oil consumption than a ls1, ls2 or bmw that just burn oil whenever, not connected to an oil metering pump. They were really low on emissions and didn't get strangled easily compared to piston engines in the 70s, 80s and early 90s

*E: honestly I forget my interval 10,000km seems pushing it as it was dino oil only, 5000-7000 seems more realistic, but whatever, never ran it low because it didn't use that much

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 20, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yes, but you're assuming people actually even *change* their oil on their daily drivers.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Their poor thermal efficiency and rich running made them made relatively little NOx and therefore easy to either catalyze or air-injected afterburn. Gas engines were in the huge EGR flow dark days before three-way catalytic converters.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
You could probably run a piston engine on the exhaust from a rotary.

Edit: or a second rotary!

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I figured I'd post a fun update here as a sort of interlude. Spyder bought a nice new to us quick change toolpost for the lathe. Turns out the old T-slot nut wouldn't quite cut it.

I took some measurements...

Squared up some stock.

Cut the shoulders and used a cold blue solution.

And tried out a fancy tap. It turned out pretty nice, before i dinged it up staking the threaded rod.

Now to get back to dumb Corvair things when I have time between house projects.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Oh man I've made such awesome progress on the 13B B2200 truck. Update coming this weekend.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
:f5: come on update...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sharkytm posted:

:f5: come on update...

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm debating if I should wait for the pallet of parts to arrive.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

the spyder posted:

drat blue baller! :it'scoming!.gif:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

the spyder posted:

Can you at least tell us what country the parts originate from? We talking overnight parts from Japan via croooober? Racing Beat? Mazdatrix? A Kiwi or Aussie outfit?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Okay, this is now officially too long without an update. Tell us you're garage posting doing something stupid....right??

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Hey Marc, if you don't post soon I'm going to randomly show up at your house like in the good old days!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Good news: I am alive and we almost have a oil pan made for the 20b!

Bad news: x3 - 1) Real job is ramping up and I've got 12 solid months of projects planned out as of this week. 2) I started to keep a camera around, just to get used to it. I've been filming most of what little time I get in the shop - but no ones going to see it. Haha. It's awful and I'm learning more about workflow and presentation. Don't worry it's a good thing. I've also learned it takes 3x longer when there's a camera around. 3) I had to redo the 20b subframe. Initially I started out making a 2nd copy for Rob, but quickly realized something was off. By like a 1/4'. :( I figured out what happened and I just finished up version 1.5 tonight, but I won't know if it's truly corrected until the motor gets back. Now I have to rebuild the original and I'm not sure if I can correct it or if I have to start again. We'll see this week after work.

Oh and no update on the truck- owner has not shown up ~3 weekends in a row :(

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Finally set a few minutes aside to quickly sort through these.

LS FD: So the owner decided he wanted to swap the FD he brought by for a compression/heath check. I can't blame him, see below. I'll make a video going over the details. Short answer is, I'm too drat nice and am giving him a hand just because it's something different to work on :).

He went with the full Ronin/Samberg kit, including the Ford 8.8 swap. I just got my Miller 252 wired up, I only bought the thing like four years ago. But god-drat does it make a pretty bead.

The new 8.8 Subframe required some minor body adjustments.

Weeks later, I took the 13B-REW core to Pineapple for teardown. I'm kinda happy I didn't try to talk him out of it.
Yummay. No clue what the hardened steel is, but this was a factory reman engine from 1998! The gunk is actually sealant from the oil pan. People commonly use way too much and this happened. This thing was a time bomb.

20B Update! poo poo I let it sit so long it rusted.

At this point we couldn't get a good drawing together to save our asses. It's been a challenge to get the three of us (Rob/Machinist/Myself) together and colab/communicating enough. It was to the point all of us wanted nothing to do with the project. I finally had enough and said, screw it- let's just measure the drat engine with the mill. Thank loving god that worked. We now have a accurate drawing and can move forward.

Sexy machine

Watergun? Shower? Man he really went for all the features.

I sadly don't have any pics of the teardown, but here's my new 20B. I sold/traded the older block and now have C102 :D.

With the drawing complete, we test cut a piece of 1/4" acrylic. It's perfect. The material got here Wednesday and I'm super stoked.

My friends talked me into filming a teardown with Rob. I'll post the time-lapse here soon.

The wife has convinced me to sell the FiestaST. A buddy helped me give it a quick detail. It's looking good, minus the curb'd wheels and normal parking damage. Sadly I've gotten nothing but scammers so far. Maybe I'm asking too much.

A few weeks ago, Rob decided he needed a break from his shop and came by to help me get some traction on the rotary swapped truck. We got a TON of work done, including sorting out the mounting and oil pan situation. I almost did not post a few of these photos due to the hackery, but check out the steering cross-link. I had to cut and weld two 1" bars onto it to clear the oil pan. I'm going to tear it down and plate it in the future, but drat. Thankfully it welded like cast/forged steel, but none the less it sketches me out. We made a parts list for our buddy, the owner, but haven't seen him in a few weeks :(. I need to stop by his work and see what's up.

gently caress this car. I started to work on the Black 93 Touring that was here for a clutch/oilpan reseal/ecu install and decided it was easier to pull the engine. Why. Why did I do this to myself. The god drat PO welded the battery tray to the frame rail and the support brace. I swear to god if I ever find the guy...

The more we tore it down, the more we realized how badly the PO hosed the new owner. The engine has now been torn down due to questionable findings while inspecting everything. Good thing to. We found a damaged rotor housing that will need to be replaced.

I just wanted this car gone :(. Now it's going to take ~3 months.

And since we were in there, I replaced the bad 5th/reverse trans syncro. Common issue on these. Only a $22 part, but the tail housing has to come off.

Minor update- I took the Sandrail motor to Robs for cleaning.

I've been cleaning the shop and listing spare parts. Good thing I inspected this turbo before listing it. Anyone want a Dead GT4088 :( Most likely Apex seal damage....

Spring cleaning = Hose and extension cord reels. Amazon warehouse deals can be addicting. I'm going to shoot a quick product review video if I have time.

Spotted this- Winter project?

Back to the 20B. I'm going to have to make a video on this, because gently caress.me. What you see here is the first steps and 90% completed project - subframe v1.5. I needed to make a 2nd subframe for Rob and realized I messed up the measurements on the first one. So I started to make subframe v1.5 correcting those issues. Then all hell broke loose and now I get to redo it a THIRD TIME. But I'll save the rant for the video.

*It's baaaaaaack* - For a quick ECU install. Hopefully. And it's forsale. Anyone want the car that tried to kill me?

Sunset

the spyder fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 8, 2018

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Turbo LS swap for the Fiesta ST?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I can't wait to hear how someone managed to get that much sludge and junk in the sump of a rotary.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Darchangel posted:

I can't wait to hear how someone managed to get that much sludge and junk in the sump of a rotary.

When my 13B spun all of it's bearings the pickup tube looked worse.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
And it's sorted with words and such.

Someone convince me to start uploading videos. I went from excited to god.drat.it due to the whole subframe situation. Such is life. At least the oil pan is making progress. :D

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Spoiler: Check out this plate. Gigidy.

Unrelated- but amusing. I ordered one additional 50' Flexzilla Extension Cord of AWD. Check out what I got?

Wait. It's NOT EVEN THE RIGHT HOSE REEL FOR THE BOX.

And it's damaged.

They took it back, but the rep couldn't promise someone else wouldn't end up in the same situation I just did.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

the spyder posted:

Spoiler: Check out this plate. Gigidy.

Unrelated- but amusing. I ordered one additional 50' Flexzilla Extension Cord of AWD. Check out what I got?

Wait. It's NOT EVEN THE RIGHT HOSE REEL FOR THE BOX.

And it's damaged.

They took it back, but the rep couldn't promise someone else wouldn't end up in the same situation I just did.

There's a lot of assholes who do that. GJ has an AWD thread, and I'd wager that 25% or more are the wrong item, often the cheapest HF knockoff available, stuffed in the original packaging. Then again, it's always worth a gamble, because I've gotten some crazy deals. A Justrite flammables cabinet (the little desktop-sized one) for $40 shipped, a bunch of rubber floor mats for in front of benches for like $20-$30 when they're $90+ normally, and a 4-pack of Akro-Mills folding lid storage totes for $36. If there's a problem, they always take them back. There's also the Amazon deals on "100-packs" that are actually 1-packs, and they just tell you to keep the single instead of sending it back. I've gotten a couple of grinding wheels that way.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've got a standard flexilla extension cord laying around and its really nice for the price point. I'm curious to see what you think of them.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I wish you were closer to Houston than friggen Oregon. I'd have CMM'ed that engine for you off the clock if you'd have swung by :clint:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Car does not run - might as well buy tires while they are onsale!

Oregon snow days.

I'm excited guys. It's taken nearly a year of talking about this to turn a plate of aluminum into the object below. It's off to the welders and then back to the machinist for the final flattening/details.

Which means I can finally move forward with the 20b project. ....Once I find $15k. Did I mention we're looking at a rental property? The timing is just... crazy. Wish us luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Completely forgot- here's the inserts for the pan completed. I'll explain these later.

Jumping way back. The first part we had made was the shifter relocation. I've hit a major dilemma here. We originally were going to have the "cup" piece machined. Turns out it was going to be ~2k in tooling/material/fixtures. So we modeled it and my buddy had it printed in Acrylic. A few revisions later and we had a working part. The idea was see what 3d printing it in 316 stainless using SLS would cost. My first quote from ProtoLabs is..... drum roll. $1900. drat it. I may just scrap the idea here and use two of the core transmissions to hack together another one like the prototype pictured. I can buy trans for $200 and since I only need 2-4 of these, it's cheaper to buy the trans. Another option is to just make the little cut piece and weld/braze it on to the existing piece in the trans.

Random- we made a ghetto flow bench using my Snap On evap tester. It did not work quite how we wanted, but was fun none the less. The evap machine provided pressurized smoke, the vacuum pulled the airflow around the tip of a cutoff rotor. It gave us a basic idea of the stock ports airflow.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 2, 2018