Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm guessing Libya changed their colour after Gadaffi was killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

System Metternich posted:

Well, that's not entirely true: Early modern Catholics in general had significantly more children than early modern Protestants, but as infant mortality tended to be higher amongst Catholics as well, the total population numbers are still comparable. There were plenty of other factors at play besides denomination, of course (like social standing, economic stability and the difference between urban and rural populations), but in general the early modern trend of Catholics with more children/higher infant mortality and Protestants with fewer children and lower infant mortality holds. In some places Catholic infant mortality even rose as late as the late 18th century, and at least in one area (Oberkassel near Bonn) it could be proven that in times of crises or economic distress Catholics tended to have even more children, whereas Protestants had fewer whereas rich Protestants had on average more children than rich Catholics, interestingly. The same study (here if you're interested, though only in German I'm afraid) showed that Protestants on the whole enjoyed a higher life expectancy than Catholics and from about 1750 also tended to marry earlier, which in spite of their having a lower children/time ratio (so to speak) led to them eventually outperforming Catholics on the demographic front from the late 18th century onwards. Add to that other religion-based factors like that Protestants probably tended to favour having a professional midwife, whereas Catholics placed more importance on having the child baptised no matter what, which in some cases could and did place both child and mother in danger, the fact that early modern Catholics ended up joining an explicitly celibate clergy in huge numbers, thereby removing themselves from the gene pool, as well as a ton of other factors that might or might not be connected with denomination (like economic performance and official population policy, whose possible connection to denomination I needn't go into here) and you have the recipe for Protestant populations in the long view growing faster than Catholic ones.

France needs to be looked at separately when you want to examine religious difference in demographic development, because it constitutes a special case within European Catholicism itself and greatly differs from other Catholic powers in just about every regard.

Another informative post from System Metternich. I only remembered the broad outlines from my college days, and they never really mentioned religion. Are you pursuing a doctorate that involves this subject?

Again, really interesting.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 15, 2017

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, I vaguely remember coming across the word "Gallicanism" on wiki but I did not know most of that. I wonder how much of the distrust of the "foreign" orders like the Jesuits, Franciscans, etc. Is rooted in the Hapsburg/Bourbon rivalry and the sense that if the king didn't control the church it would control him.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Phlegmish posted:

Another informative post from System Metternich. I only remembered the broad outlines from my college days, and they never really mentioned religion. Are you pursuing a doctorate that involves this subject?

Again, really interesting.

Thanks! :) it's only an MA, but yeah, baroque Catholicism is kinda a passion of mine :v:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Speaking as an outsider, the political/religious sphere of European history is fascinating to me

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dreddout posted:

Speaking as an outsider, the political/religious sphere of European history is fascinating to me

Same. I like this sort of thing even more than the maps in the thread tbh.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
It's like Game of Thrones but with more sex and characters.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Honj Steak posted:

It's like Game of Thrones but with more incest and murder.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

So Crusader Kings 2.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

one of the rare maps of the united states you could easily remove alaska and hawaii from without losing anything

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

boner confessor posted:

one of the rare maps of the united states you could easily remove alaska and hawaii from without losing anything

I think Alaska’s would be interesting because of the rise of Anchorage and Fairbanks. :shobon:

e: No census data prior to 1960 is the problem.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

boner confessor posted:

Virtually all maps of the United States omit Puerto Rico, Guam, US Virgin Islands, American Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands. About 4 million people and nobody ever gives a gently caress.

I think all maps of the US should just randomly drop states.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

i don't really get this one. Why have all the centres of population slightly moved? Have the big cities got up and shuffled twenty miles down the road or something?

EDIT, ah, mean, so it's not just a marker of 'biggest city', but the average centre of population in the state. never mind.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I like that you can really see the effect of air conditioning on Florida settlement there. And the shrinking importance of the San Francisco-Sacramento axis in comparison to Southern California as well.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

mediadave posted:

i don't really get this one. Why have all the centres of population slightly moved? Have the big cities got up and shuffled twenty miles down the road or something?

EDIT, ah, mean, so it's not just a marker of 'biggest city', but the average centre of population in the state. never mind.

Some states have different big cities now than they did in 1910. Or at least different biggest cities.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

The center of population moving away from the two largest cities in Texas is interesting, especially since they have both grown massively in the time period.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Orange Devil posted:

Virtually all maps of the United States omit Puerto Rico, Guam, US Virgin Islands, American Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands.

none of those are states

fishmech posted:

I like that you can really see the effect of air conditioning on Florida settlement there. And the shrinking importance of the San Francisco-Sacramento axis in comparison to Southern California as well.

well that and industrial methods of drainage. pretty much all of south florida was carved out of a swamp, in 1910 miami had less than two thousand residents. now it's the seventh largest metro in the us

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I would like to see politically-loaded maps that include all the US territories. I don't, at this moment, care what they're about.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

I would like to see politically-loaded maps that include all the US territories. I don't, at this moment, care what they're about.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That's the opposite of what I asked for!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

That's the opposite of what I asked for!

Very well. YOU ASKED FOR THIS.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yes. Yes!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That bird looks like a sick eagle-vulture hybrid about to vomit. :stare:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Bongo Bill posted:

Politically Loaded because like 3 countries claim Navassa. (which isn't even an island iirc)

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Looks island-y enough to me?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What would Navassa be if not an island? :confused:

It’s been around since at least 1504.

Here it is embarrassing some well‐known islands.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Woops I was thinking of Bajo Nuevo which is just reef.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ecureuilmatrix posted:

This is american soil and clearly has been since time immemorial

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

-Sickos

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't see any bat poop, but I'll allow it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Senor Dog posted:

I don't see any bat poop, but I'll allow it.

“Guano” also refers to bird poop. :eng101:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You're going to be really upset when I tell you about a place called the Isle of Pines.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Ah yes, the famous FTownley Tdor ASFfdfgkj park

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Darkest Auer posted:

Ah yes, the famous FTownley Tdor ASFfdfgkj park

Is that Welsh?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Looks like a crocodile's head.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Is that Welsh?

For years, a park somewhere in NL had, in Google maps, not the actual name of the park, but a set of two names that I'm reasonably certain must've been the names of the two ponies that lived in a pen in the middle of the park. Google maps has a thing where you can send in corrections, I think I tried that once or twice but they just ignored it.

It's been fixed now but it took them years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

It's neat but the inset map annoys me because we didn't acquire East Florida until 1819.