Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

anime was right posted:

wait so the entire reason bitcoins value has skyrocketed is because of the sheer amount of physical energy it takes to generate new ones?

lol; lmao

increased demand by bourgeois Chinese as a means to convert money from yuan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
tingent on your employer.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Bitcoin is like watching the history of finance in fast forward except with more libertarians, which makes it funnier when bubbles pop or exchanges run away with the money because the ones taking the losses are almost uniformly terrible people instead of well meaning workers.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Not a Step posted:

Bitcoin is like watching the history of finance in fast forward except with more libertarians, which makes it funnier when bubbles pop or exchanges run away with the money because the ones taking the losses are almost uniformly terrible people instead of well meaning workers.

When the bitcoin bubble pops the rest of the economy will follow.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i cannot think of bitcoins without a little retching because of the miner-dried strawberries.

just as i cannot think of the real saydie doyle without getting angry that her bad takes somehow ruin my favorable impression of the paget brewster character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8tOiqrIAOQ

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is real lol

https://twitter.com/verysmallanna/status/941870694274682880?s=17

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guy Goodbody posted:

When the bitcoin bubble pops the rest of the economy will follow.

That's more a canary in a coal mine situation than causal.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inescapable Duck posted:

That's more a canary in a coal mine situation than causal.

When bitcoin crashes if that give anybody even the slightest pause about giving billions of dollars to internet nonsense that makes no money then the tech bubble will pop. and then all the other domino-bubbles, student loans, housing, will fall-pop

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Not a Step posted:

also bitcoin is somehow even more imaginary than real money which is already fairly imaginary, so it's less that they're taking losses and more that they're discovering the true value of their production(negative numbers)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

When bitcoin crashes if that give anybody even the slightest pause about giving billions of dollars to internet nonsense that makes no money then the tech bubble will pop. and then all the other domino-bubbles, student loans, housing, will fall-pop

good

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

when i was a kid someone in my history class thought "let them eat cake" was a badass retort retold to convey the strength and resolve of the aristocracy

at the time i thought they were a singular dumbass incapable of basic comprehension much less critique. little did i know they were just an early bloomer for the most competent, informed and strategic campaign of all time

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

when I first saw this a few days ago it had the text cropped out and I honestly had no idea who it was supposed to be until now

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Needs a label that says "CANKLES"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SpaceGoku posted:

when I first saw this a few days ago it had the text cropped out and I honestly had no idea who it was supposed to be until now

It is not a good likeness

It looks like an anime girl with a Hella Jeff mouth

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bitcoin is a microcosm of what's happening in the stock market: a bunch of wealth chasing nonexistent investment opportunities bidding up the price of existing assets

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/EmmaCaterine/status/941772694906949633

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
it's absolutely not good, but it's also unavoidable. it doesn't matter whether or not you're employed directly in any on those industries, the drop in total spending and discretionary income will have shock waves over the rest of the economy

the US dollar will probably fall, as foreign investors try to move their money out, but there isn't going to be a manufacturing increase to make up for it, or exploit it, because that takes time, and investment, which moneyed interests won't do, until american wage levels are at 3rd world level

so everything is going to get more expensive, and ordinary people's money is going to contract

along with cuts to civil services, because republicans

Normie Chomsky
Apr 10, 2008

rudatron posted:

it's absolutely not good, but it's also unavoidable. it doesn't matter whether or not you're employed directly in any on those industries, the drop in total spending and discretionary income will have shock waves over the rest of the economy

the US dollar will probably fall, as foreign investors try to move their money out, but there isn't going to be a manufacturing increase to make up for it, or exploit it, because that takes time, and investment, which moneyed interests won't do, until american wage levels are at 3rd world level

so everything is going to get more expensive, and ordinary people's money is going to contract

along with cuts to civil services, because republicans

good

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

right: if you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face, forever

liberals: but what if that boot...had a stiletto heel? :smug:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

So Bitcoin is doing bad even though it's up 6000%?

bitcoin's value compared to the dollar is basically meaningless

the real measure of how it's doing as a currency is this: can you pay your rent with bitcoins? can you pay your taxes with bitcoins? can you buy food with bitcoins?

if you have to sell it for dollars in order to buy anything, then it's not a currency, it's a commodity

obsessing over how many dollars a Bitcoin costs is great fun, but it doesn't actually mean anything except to speculators, hoarders, and gamblers who think they're investors

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Breakfast All Day posted:

right: if you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face, forever

liberals: but what if that boot...had a stiletto heel? :smug:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

SpaceGoku posted:

I thought it was Chelsea.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
melting the polar ice caps for digital beanie babies

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

My new huck.str app will help connect everyday people to local snakeoil sellers, with options to sort by price and whether the snake oil used is fair trade, free range, or new snek oil vegan blend. invest today

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

etalian posted:

The Silk Road story was funny how the techie dork bragged how FBI agents were too dumb to catch him.

He was correct, but he made a mistake, and the problem is it only takes loving up once.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 19:14 on Dec 16, 2017

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I still don't know how you can make money from Bitcoins. Do you just transfer your coins to someone and then have them wire you money?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

punk rebel ecks posted:

I still don't know how you can make money from Bitcoins. Do you just transfer your coins to someone and then have them wire you money?

that’s the theory

the reality is you don’t

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ThndrShk2k posted:

That sounds weird and gimmicky.

Thats Bitcoin for ya!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ThndrShk2k posted:

Transaction fees are pretty reasonable for how much in BTC it requires and all those fees go to keeping the network up. (pays miners, especially when there are 0 new coins).

It's basically like taxes on the economic system to maintain the quality entire system, but 100% goes to what it's meant to unlike actual taxes.

Other crypto have risen to be the lower value/denomination currency at the moment so it's better to invest in those than directly with bitcoin at the moment, especially if you need to transfer that small amount of investment out anytime soon.

Reasonable transaction fees, lol, would Visa ever get big if you had to pay them 10 bucks every time you used a card, and then had to wait a day for your payment details to get verified?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Imagine a monetary system where every time you pay for something, a fraction of the transaction gets removed from the money supply forever. That sounds insanely good and cool, imho.

the transaction fee doesnt get removed, it gets sucked up by the computer that solved the verification problem (ie the miners)

etalian posted:

The Silk Road story was funny how the techie dork bragged how FBI agents were too dumb to catch him.

the funniest part waa when an fbi agent stole a bunch of the seized bitcoins

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Condiv posted:

that’s the theory

the reality is you don’t

Why don't I?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

punk rebel ecks posted:

The reality is you keep sitting on you Bitcoins while the small number of people performing regular transactions is forced to increase the cost of Bitcoin because the market is deflated with chucklefucks like you waiting for an opportunity to cash out.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shear Modulus posted:

the transaction fee doesnt get removed, it gets sucked up by the computer that solved the verification problem (ie the miners)

Yeah, and if the miners kept up liquidity of the transaction fees, the cost of the Bitcoin commodity wouldn't be so unstable. Right now miners, afaik, are driving bitcoin to a point of breaking with greed.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/sankofabrown/status/941868006744969221

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

melting the polar ice caps for digital beanie babies

to trigger the libs

punk rebel ecks posted:

what you do is you transfer your bitcoins to an account at a site called coinbase which is owned by a bunch of VC companies and banks and then you can do a dollars-for-bits transaction with another user

yes to be able to use your decentralized libertopian currency you basically have to submit to a central site and hand your information over to the government because lol

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/DSADems/status/942048845671870464

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

He was correct, but he made a mistake, and the problem is it only takes loving up once.

He hosed up significantly more than just once.

Shear Modulus posted:

the funniest part waa when an fbi agent stole a bunch of the seized bitcoins

How can you even choose which moment is the funniest?

steinrokkan posted:

Reasonable transaction fees, lol, would Visa ever get big if you had to pay them 10 bucks every time you used a card, and then had to wait a day for your payment details to get verified?

And then you get robbed.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i dont get how you can be a rich powerful internet drug lord and not realize that you should probably leave the country

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Shear Modulus posted:

i dont get how you can be a rich powerful internet drug lord and not realize that you should probably leave the country
they won't have to for long :smugdon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Shear Modulus posted:

And also, you know, maybe not write down literal accounts of the various crimes you commit in exacting detail.

• Locked thread