Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Mondian posted:

Reed is the perfect embodiment of ENT. He's boring and unlikable and the one, single B-plot ever devoted to him involved interviewing all his family, friends, and colleagues and all any of them had to say was that he was boring and unlikable.

e: except the mirror universe episode they did, that's the best one and also strangely one of the best episodes of trek ever

Dude had like 4 b-plots. including section 31, punching the maco captain, getting butthurt over the macos in general, and romulan mine in the leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He had the one where he was trapped on a shuttle with Trip and admitted he liked T'Pol's bum

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Didn't Reed also go full First Blood over some space LSD or am I making that up?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He had the one where he was trapped on a shuttle with Trip and admitted he liked T'Pol's bum

That was an A-plot. And a good episode.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Didn't Reed also go full First Blood over some space LSD or am I making that up?

That was Garak

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

Dude had like 4 b-plots. including section 31, punching the maco captain, getting butthurt over the macos in general, and romulan mine in the leg.

I'll give you section 31 and the macos, but the romulan mine was the A plot.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

MrJacobs posted:

That was Garak

and it was drat good

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
my fave part of the Garak thing is that Nog never, like, forgets or really forgives him for it.

Nog and Garak were the two best characters on that show.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

The Cardassians in general were portrayed really well as the villains as they had motivations beyond just being the bad guy doing bad guy things. Lots of nuanced shows about regret, guilt, moral relativism and also just Cardies doing Cardie things lol!

When they get over their head when they team up with the Dominion is great because they are still convinced that Cardasia is #1 in the Galaxy. Great writing and characterization.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Make Cardassia Great Again!

Those stupid BAJORANS we were trying to help them they couldn't have a proper trial before we showed up and brought in good Cardassian JUSTICE and DISCIPLINE and how did they repay us by BLOWING UP MINES where they worked in exchange for food and beds

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
RADICAL

BAJORAN

TERRORISM

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The FEDERATION is developing new QUANTUM TORPEDOS while we're still using PHOTON torpedoes! The weak Detapa Council wants to spend defense funding on social programs!

wit
Jul 26, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

my fave part of the Garak thing is that Nog never, like, forgets or really forgives him for it.

I liked him too. He was ferengi but wanted to be federation so just ended up a dodgy modern human trying to be super good but actually getting scared at poo poo instead of just waiting until like the display that shows twitter suddenly blew up for no reason in an explosion while shields were up, killing 12, injuring more. I'm glad the federation found a good use for tnt though. Him and garak both felt like writer inserts to tell how stupid or crazy the plot was somtimes. IIRC he came to be an actual character rather than a hardy boys jake's friend around the time warf would go to klingon ships which would just blow the face off some guy checking his snapchat too. Blark glark da flargh! Or no? Just sidestep it, put a sneezeguard on them or something, jesus christ, you're a military people, stop dying because the screen you look at to tell how many people are dead just exploded in your face. Again.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Captain I am concerned about the fact that we are routing boiling hot plasma behind these touch screens.

I'm sure the ship designers knew what they were doing ensign. Get back to work.

[Meanwhile]

Hello there fellow humans, it is I, Hugh Man, not a founder from the dominion. Did you like my new ship designs?

Very much Hugh, all starfleet ships will be built this way going forward.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I guess I never watched ENT even though I thought I did. Archer is a great exploring captain--and he's always so positive he's gonna get through any mess.

T'Pol is also great, and it's not her skintight suit.

She just has that look of "what are these idiotic humans doing now and I guess I better go along with it since I'm observing them and I'm Vulcan so I'm not having fun but I'm really having fun following Archer's hijinxs." She's also great when she's in command of the ship.

And heck, that episode where she told a story about the first Vulcan contact was amazing.

Kip or Pip or Tip or whatever is okay, but that "British" guy is kind of a downer. The doctor is also pretty chill. He reminds me of Doc Baker from Little House on the Prairie.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

thylacine posted:

I guess I never watched ENT even though I thought I did. Archer is a great exploring captain--and he's always so positive he's gonna get through any mess.

T'Pol is also great, and it's not her skintight suit.

She just has that look of "what are these idiotic humans doing now and I guess I better go along with it since I'm observing them and I'm Vulcan so I'm not having fun but I'm really having fun following Archer's hijinxs." She's also great when she's in command of the ship.

And heck, that episode where she told a story about the first Vulcan contact was amazing.

Kip or Pip or Tip or whatever is okay, but that "British" guy is kind of a downer. The doctor is also pretty chill. He reminds me of Doc Baker from Little House on the Prairie.

ENT is good. gently caress the haters.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

ENT is good. gently caress the haters.

Better than Voyager but took too long to hit its stride, the serial story should've been birth of the federation/prelude to Romulan war not time travel space nine eleven all the Vulcan and andorian and space colonist episodes were cool

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

Make Cardassia Great Again!

Those stupid BAJORANS we were trying to help them they couldn't have a proper trial before we showed up and brought in good Cardassian JUSTICE and DISCIPLINE and how did they repay us by BLOWING UP MINES where they worked in exchange for food and beds

I am not sure if I could ever compare Cardassians to Trump because at least Cardassians were sometimes competent.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It's like if a Pakled got executive power. So dumb and helpless you laugh but that belies its belligerence and cruelty.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Mondian posted:

e: except the mirror universe episode they did, that's the best one and also strangely one of the best episodes of trek ever

I love that they went so far as to make mirror opening credits to go with the mirror episodes. Which funnily enough were also better than the normal opening credits.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

It's like if a Pakled got executive power. So dumb and helpless you laugh but that belies its belligerence and cruelty.

Don't know how their stuff works, inherited all their possessions or stole them as well as being very obviously overweight. Got him/them in one.

Oh the only times we really see them otherwise they are eating in bad restaurants or bars.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm watching Battlestar Galactica and I feel like Baltar was originally intended to be played by Alexander Siddig for some reason.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

MA-Horus posted:

The FEDERATION is developing new QUANTUM TORPEDOS while we're still using PHOTON torpedoes! The weak Detapa Council wants to spend defense funding on social programs!

It was so hilariously sad that the moment Cardassia's fascist military government lost power to a democratic civilian (less fascist) government...the Klingon empire invaded in an all-out sneak attack, using this peaceful transition of power as evidence for...shapeshifter infiltration of Cardassia.

...which, of course, eventually lead to the Cardassians jumping in bed with the Dominion and giving them a foothold to launch a war that saw billions dead and half the quadrant trashed by its end.

This is why the Alpha quadrant can't have nice things. Bloody Klingons.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm watching Battlestar Galactica and I feel like Baltar was originally intended to be played by Alexander Siddig for some reason.

Honestly i see this sometimes too.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

EimiYoshikawa posted:

It was so hilariously sad that the moment Cardassia's fascist military government lost power to a democratic civilian (less fascist) government...the Klingon empire invaded in an all-out sneak attack, using this peaceful transition of power as evidence for...shapeshifter infiltration of Cardassia.

...which, of course, eventually lead to the Cardassians jumping in bed with the Dominion and giving them a foothold to launch a war that saw billions dead and half the quadrant trashed by its end.

This is why the Alpha quadrant can't have nice things. Bloody Klingons.

the klingons only attacked because they were being misled by changelings so really the whole thing only makes sense from the perspective of dukat wanting to be fuhrer again

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
To be fair, I'm pretty sure the Klingons also attacked because they like war, but yes, I was more looking at the optics of the whole situation rather than the behind the scenes details.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

harry just got laid and janeway chopped his balls off lmao

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

"Computer, delete the wife... and Harry's balls"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6fmEe5N2lc

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

to be fair he did pick up the space clap

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

DoctorWhat posted:

It's made better when Garak notices and compliments him on learning from the experience.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

MA-Horus posted:

to be fair he did pick up the space clap
but he was so happy :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finished season one if BSG. Overall fantastic except for Tigh Me Up Tigh Me Down. That kind of humour just does not work in this kind of show.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Enjoy it while it lasts! I think season 3 is when it starts being...not good...then it picks up again. Then it's over.

Also your mileage may vary with Caprica but I liked it and it's only like 1 short season.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

numberoneposter posted:

Enjoy it while it lasts! I think season 3 is when it starts being...not good...then it picks up again. Then it's over.

Also your mileage may vary with Caprica but I liked it and it's only like 1 short season.

The best quitting point is about two or three episodes into season 3, cant remember the specific one off the top of my head. Once the big season opener is done, it goes downhill fast.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Eh, there are still some good stuff in the middle and at the end of season 3 but a lot of the episodes are weird standalone affairs that don't work that well. Season 4 being bad or not depends on how much you like character stories, political-ish drama in the fleet, and mythological mumbo-jumbo over Cylon stuff.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Caprica was really good. Folks should watch it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Resurrection Ship I has the best goddamn cliffhanger in TV history, equal to or BETTER than Best of Both Words.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Is that the Season 2 finale before 2.5, where Adama and Cain are going head to head over Adama's men getting railroaded into some pretty steep NJP?

Because yeah, I was watching on DVDs and had caught up to the last one available on disc (that one) then immediately went online to buy the next episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Is that the Season 2 finale before 2.5, where Adama and Cain are going head to head over Adama's men getting railroaded into some pretty steep NJP?

Because yeah, I was watching on DVDs and had caught up to the last one available on disc (that one) then immediately went online to buy the next episode.

"I'm getting my men."

That poo poo gave me goosebumps.