Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

in huge shock school shooter was an alt right kiwi farms freak

https://www.thedailybeast.com/new-mexico-school-shooter-had-secret-life-on-pro-trump-white-supremacy-sites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I can't even see this. What was it?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

which GBS “silent majority” poster was he?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

In his final days, Atchison used “Sam Hyde” as his display name, the name alt-right users on websites like 4chan and Twitter employ in an effort to dupe the media into sharing false information after mass shootings.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
who could have guessed the alt-right was a bunch of violent sociopaths :thunk:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
just once, I'd like a white supremacist mass shooting to get half the news coverage a failed ISIS bomb threat or whatever does

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Samovar posted:

'twitter's totally gonna start banning nazis now you guys, for real'

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

rudatron posted:

just once, I'd like a white supremacist mass shooting to get half the news coverage a failed ISIS bomb threat or whatever does

I'd be a huge fan of whatever mainstream media outlet stopped doing the automatic brown/white -- terrorist/mentally ill lone wolf thing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Samovar posted:

see below

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/12/15/16782428/twitter-ban-nazis

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

his new poll doesnt have a "gently caress you" option for some reason :confused:

https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/941911682116337665

i made my 5th tweet yelling at him for his confusing facebook

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/parkermolloy/status/941878361407852549

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

rudatron posted:

Actually it would be way better if we never even published their names. Just read the article - posthumous fame and glory is why this guy shot two of his classmates instead of just killing himself.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's not going to put the lid back on this

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

mike cernovich just wants to be loved

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think that people should stop pretending to not know why people did these things when they frequently very much wanted people to know why they did it.

Our culture presents this every time as some unknowable animal attack that has no cause because they are deeply afraid of engaging with the 21st century ideologies of alienation.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Helsing posted:

Actually it would be way better if we never even published their names. Just read the article - posthumous fame and glory is why this guy shot two of his classmates instead of just killing himself.
From a purely public policy standpoint, yes. From a political standpoint, no. The public consciousness simply doesn't acknowledge violent neo-nazism as a threat, but it does for islamofascist terrorism, when in reality the former vastly out-numbers the later, both in terms of lives cost, and in their realistic political threat.

They're both remarkably similar events: frustrated losers who turn to a violent and self-serving ideology to hide their own failings and immanentize their resentment at others & society. But they're not treated the same. And I suspect that's intentional, both on the part of the media, and the law enforcement authorities (neo-nazi political links are always played down, or delayed substantially, in the reporting of these crimes).

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
mike cernovich forged evidence to frame the highest ranking democrat in the us

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
In other words - extreme right wing political violence is on the rise in the US, this violence is (loosely) organized, and directed towards the political aim of radical, violent change of the US.

If this had been left-wing instead of right-wing, we'd already be at defcon 2, but it's nazis, so nothing is happening.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

rudatron posted:

From a purely public policy standpoint, yes. From a political standpoint, no. The public consciousness simply doesn't acknowledge violent neo-nazism as a threat, but it does for islamofascist terrorism, when in reality the former vastly out-numbers the later, both in terms of lives cost, and in their realistic political threat.

They're both remarkably similar events: frustrated losers who turn to a violent and self-serving ideology to hide their own failings and immanentize their resentment at others & society. But they're not treated the same. And I suspect that's intentional, both on the part of the media, and the law enforcement authorities (neo-nazi political links are always played down, or delayed substantially, in the reporting of these crimes).
lmao that the only reason the media is deliberately playing this down is because the owners want unrestricted chattel slavery for free labor

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

When White Men Attack

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
reminder: half the country flipped the gently caress out, over a mythical civil war on november 4th, lead by antifa supersoldiers, that was completely fabricated, by the alt-right media circus

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
remember that story from like a week ago about the neo-nazi drinking club that chanted racist stuff at a bar in minneapolis? the bar didn't seem to know what to do and it became the subject of a local news story.

well, houston's version tried it at a bar and got kicked out, apparently.

this is the same group that was harassing that student newspaper columnist.

the person responding here is a chef who hosts a neo-nazi cooking podcast at TRS. a patriot front member is also in the mentions saying "you ain't seen nothing yet." they like to do things, prowl the internet for a reaction, and then do this klan thing where they cackle and send threats. but it's a handful of guys.

https://twitter.com/thechefgoyardee/status/941966439539511296

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/941504143944044544

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

remember that story from like a week ago about the neo-nazi drinking club that chanted racist stuff at a bar in minneapolis? the bar didn't seem to know what to do and it became the subject of a local news story.

the person responding here is a chef who hosts a neo-nazi cooking podcast at TRS. a patriot front member is also in the mentions saying "you ain't seen nothing yet." they like to do things, prowl the internet for a reaction, and then do this klan thing where they cackle and send threats. but it's a handful of guys.

Everyone who works at MTI is rock solid and it's a stupid bar to pull this sort of stunt at. The local nazis have been licking their wounds ever since the fears brothers got arrested at the spencer speech in florida and this was probably something they were doing to feel better about themselves.

Bushiz has issued a correction as of 18:16 on Dec 16, 2017

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

God drat I pray everyday that valve kicks the nazis off steam...... imagine the tears

imagine the ecstasy.....

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Cutting holes in my pillowcase to own the libs

Bullfrog posted:

God drat I pray everyday that valve kicks the nazis off steam...... imagine the tears

imagine the ecstasy.....

That would be amazing, but how would they even go about doing that? Ban everyone who installed the realistic Holocaust mod for HOI4?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Dreddout posted:

That would be amazing, but how would they even go about doing that? Ban everyone who installed the realistic Holocaust mod for HOI4?

There's a lot of people who openly display nazi imagery and have nazi names and talk openly about nazi stuff. Valve don't give a poo poo about it unless they cheat in dota.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i have a feeling they won't. they may make a example out of one or two but the nazis bring in to much tweet money.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

these guys are such moronic children. i hope he gets his face beat in.

like father, like son.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Pardon my ignorance but how do twitter Nazis help bring in money? I don't really get Twitter's business model or how it is supposed to be consistently profitable, but the apparently heavy Nazi presence is particularly weird.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Helsing posted:

Pardon my ignorance but how do twitter Nazis help bring in money? I don't really get Twitter's business model or how it is supposed to be consistently profitable, but the apparently heavy Nazi presence is particularly weird.
Russians investing 200 million into it

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Helsing posted:

twitter isn't profitable and doesn't really have a business model so much as it has a money pit. the heavily nazi presence is because their ceo, jack dorsey, is sympathetic to their cause.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

That New Mexico school shooter was actually friends with 2 other alt-right shooters (one ended up not killing anyone, only himself). They all communicated over steam, one of them was the Munich mcdonalds shooter who was in a steam group called "the anti refugee club" with him. steam is one of the most important places that white supremacists communicate and attract edgy gamer teens who are still playing gmod and postal 2 in 2017 for some reason.

Here's the killer's youtube and one of his other school shooter friend's youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?barajara
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?pokemaster9550

EDIT: looks like youtube blocked the first user, but their username is Vance Stone and you can see the thumbnails for his vids which include sam hyde, videogame poo poo, and weird school shooter stuff

DOUBLE EDIT: drat they blocked both links since last night. second one had tons of gmod and postal 2 vids and a school walkthrough along with hitler poo poo

Bullfrog has issued a correction as of 19:50 on Dec 16, 2017

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Russians investing 200 million into it

500 million actually

and a billion into facebook

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bullfrog posted:

That New Mexico school shooter was actually friends with 2 other alt-right shooters (one ended up not killing anyone, only himself). They all communicated over steam, one of them was the Munich mcdonalds shooter who was in a steam group called "the anti refugee club" with him. steam is one of the most important places that white supremacists communicate and attract edgy gamer teens who are still playing gmod and postal 2 in 2017 for some reason.

Here's the killer's youtube and one of his other school shooter friend's youtube:

EDIT: looks like youtube blocked the first user, but their username is Vance Stone and you can see the thumbnails for his vids which include sam hyde, videogame poo poo, and weird school shooter stuff

DOUBLE EDIT: drat they blocked both links since last night. second one had tons of gmod and postal 2 vids and a school walkthrough along with hitler poo poo
i remember articles from years ago about al qaeda using world of warcraft and poo poo like that to communicate. the media reports always made it out to be this well-organized thing like the giant taliban bunker, but this reminded me of that, randomly. and i almost certainly reckon what the "al qaeda using WoW to communicate" was about was something similar to this.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Helsing posted:

Presumably, the company makes more money the more people like, retweet, and reply to other tweets, and given how online the nazis are, they're a reliable source of all three.

That said, to get a real answer you need to first figure out how twitter itself brings in money.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

when twitter was still trying to sell itself having lots of accounts made the platform look more valuable, so they had a perverse incentive to look the other way for the huge numbers of poo poo accounts (bots, ISIS members, trolls and harassers, etc)

I remember some story about a journalist who reported on ISIS back from like 2014 how following a few ISIS accounts would get you dozens of recommendations of other ISIS accounts to follow, so twitter could easily track these guys and were just doing nothing to stop them from using their platform to recruit/organize for a terrorist organization

they eventually started banning these accounts when a few western governments started asking questions, but there was a time when you could watch ISIS stream drivebys on periscope which was pretty wild

if you listen to more conspiracy-minded folk twitter is now allowing neo-nazis and white supremacists to run wild on their platform because some russians or wealthy right wing extremists gave them hundreds of millions of dollars but I think it's mostly just because jack is sympathetic towards white resentment in general and because if you look at neo-nazi account behavior outside of social context they probably look like the exact kind of user twitter really wants: someone who has a fairly balanced follow/follower ratio who follows some high-profile accounts, posts regularly, and interacts with people outside of normal social circle multiple times per week

ofc once you put it into a social context neo-nazi accounts are trash accounts that all follow each other and a few more "moderate" right-wing accounts, and only leak out into the full ecosystem to harass and abuse people or spew racial invective on whatever article or post that has triggered them that day

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I don’t think Jack is extra sympathetic to Nazis, I think he’s just obsessed with the idea of being a hands-off neutral moderator who’s above the fray. he follows alt right guys cause they’re prominent, not because he’s on their side. like many wealthy and insulated people he can afford to not really think about their politics, he can see them as just another “side.” He is allergic to the idea of looking like Twitter has any kind of ideological bent. it’s more like my nyt-reading lib parents who think it’s wrong for Nazis to lose their jobs because nazism has to compete in the marketplace of ideas, even though my mom’s Jewish.

of course none of this applies to radical left thought which actually poses a threat to the capitalist hegemony

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
yeah imo it's the typical libertarian thinky guy thing about internalizing a warped, fallacious concept of universal objectivity

which means even if he isn't a nazi, he probably will be one day, because the dudes I went to school with who made that their Single Issue all grew up to be nazis

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I don’t think Jack is extra sympathetic to Nazis, I think he’s just obsessed with the idea of being a hands-off neutral moderator who’s above the fray. he follows alt right guys cause they’re prominent, not because he’s on their side. like many wealthy and insulated people he can afford to not really think about their politics, he can see them as just another “side.” He is allergic to the idea of looking like Twitter has any kind of ideological bent. it’s more like my nyt-reading lib parents who think it’s wrong for Nazis to lose their jobs because nazism has to compete in the marketplace of ideas, even though my mom’s Jewish.

of course none of this applies to radical left thought which actually poses a threat to the capitalist hegemony
that and the prospect of unrestrained widespread chattel slavery brought on by fascism is a huge, huge boon to capital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

weirdly, these types of "neutral" dudes always save most of their energy for opposing and criticizing leftists and women and ESPECIALLY leftist women

you can see this come out on twitter itself in a number of ways, for example: after days or even weeks of drive-by harassment by anonymous nazi accounts ("just mute them" or "just report them") a leftist sometimes loses their temper and tells one of them to gently caress off or go to hell or w/e and then all those nazi accounts divebomb that one post and report it and the leftist (or feminist, or girl who committed the grave sin of Videogame Enjoyment) gets suspended and silenced and forced to delete their tweet that twitter decided was a uh-oh

tree has rotten fruit because the whole tree is rotten