Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

You can dye the outback hat....it's loving the best poo poo ever y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mauman posted:

Thinking about comming back to this.

But god dammit they ruined my build.

:rip: 2hander sorc build :negative:

So how painful is it to re-spec?
2H sorc is fine, focus on the storm tree I think for the DPS and weapon damage bonuses.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Berke Negri posted:

There's no reason to have points in your off pool (like magicka if you're stam) but something like 10-15 points in health isn't totally uncommon for endgame just cause a lot of players like to hit roughly ~18k health no matter what for raid or vet dungeon content but really, shouldn't be having an issue while just leveling.

Sounds more like the issue of the abilities being used, as you probably don't have all the passives that make the differences between armor noticeable. Like, 5 Magicka points isn't going to amount to much in the scheme of things, like at most one more extra self heal? (maybe)

Ignoring the obvious if you're stam DPS you should be using mostly medium armor to make the most of it, what is your build ability / passive like?

Edit: Sometimes there are reasons to put in points in your off pool but this is only for end game builds for tanks which are usually super specific depending on your gear load out. Tanks usually have the most build variety to fit preference but even then I've tanked most (non-DLC) vet HM dungeons with my stam dps character that has all their points in stamina and just make up for it with a set of heavy armor I can throw on in a key stroke with an add-on.

If just looking tanky is what you want there's plenty of medium motifs that look "heavy" that I or someone else could whip up for you I'm sure.

Also tried to look up an in game name but couldnt find one, I can send you 4100 gold if it's that big of a deal, and 4100 gold again once you come to your senses.

For the record:

* I've been using heavy armor for the damage resistance and stuff, I don't care about my character "looking" tanky (I just rotate weird costumes anyway) but I like being able to take a hit. I am, however, willing to try medium.

* I have most passives maxed out in the skills I use.

* I was joking about owing me money, I'm not actually that mad about it...

My point was more that I'm not really buying into the min/maxing philosophy here. I feel like for casual play, this game absolutely rewards doing whatever the gently caress you feel like doing. With all stamina I could hit a little bit harder, but the difference wasn't that notable. I'm OK with fights taking a little longer when I'm not living in fear of being one-shotted if I forget to dodge-roll one time. If I were trying to do end-game DPS I would definitely approach it differently, but my character is sort of a one-man group with a mix of tanking, healing, and DPS skills, and that's working out great for chugging through solo quests. When I do mix it up with a group, doing dolmen fights, for instance, if poo poo goes completely sideways I tend to be the last one standing, because my character is very hard to kill.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

To be fair, if you had a higher damage output, time to kill would be shorter and the others would have a higher chance of survival.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Nerd Of Prey posted:

For the record:

* I've been using heavy armor for the damage resistance and stuff, I don't care about my character "looking" tanky (I just rotate weird costumes anyway) but I like being able to take a hit. I am, however, willing to try medium.

* I have most passives maxed out in the skills I use.

* I was joking about owing me money, I'm not actually that mad about it...

My point was more that I'm not really buying into the min/maxing philosophy here. I feel like for casual play, this game absolutely rewards doing whatever the gently caress you feel like doing. With all stamina I could hit a little bit harder, but the difference wasn't that notable. I'm OK with fights taking a little longer when I'm not living in fear of being one-shotted if I forget to dodge-roll one time. If I were trying to do end-game DPS I would definitely approach it differently, but my character is sort of a one-man group with a mix of tanking, healing, and DPS skills, and that's working out great for chugging through solo quests. When I do mix it up with a group, doing dolmen fights, for instance, if poo poo goes completely sideways I tend to be the last one standing, because my character is very hard to kill.

The min/max poo poo is for sperglords who scream if you miss a light attack in your rotation. Just play how you want. I'm about to make a bow wielding Breton stamina warden because all redguards have linebackers shoulders.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

FactsAreUseless posted:

2H sorc is fine, focus on the storm tree I think for the DPS and weapon damage bonuses.

oh, it's just that from the posts here it seems like something bad happened to it.

Guess I misread them.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

mauman posted:

oh, it's just that from the posts here it seems like something bad happened to it.

Guess I misread them.

The "bad thing" that happened to 2H is that Dual Wield is better in every way now. 2H is still good, it's just way harder for some reason. 2H is still extremely popular in PVP because of all the uppercutting and stunning and rushing.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

MF_James posted:

Or just bash him. He will do the scream when the minders are dead already so you have to know to do that.

IIRC bashing him puts him in to murder enrage mode.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I eventually beat him by staying close to him and baiting normal attacks and killing him before he could roar. Then the rest of the arena was insanely easy :shrug:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
whelp....

reinstalled, logged on and horribly confused as to what I was doing.

How's Morrowind? Is it worth it?

Also, uh, noticed I'm no longer in the guild (understandable it's been 2 years), but I'd like to rejoin.

Toon's name is Mauba.

I'd investigate more before doing that but I have to go to work.

Be back in a few.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Rough Lobster posted:

IIRC bashing him puts him in to murder enrage mode.

I probably do that arena all wrong honestly, it's the hardest one for me by far and I've been too lazy to watch/read about it again, my last 5-6 vMA runs have been like 5-10 death runs which I'm happy with.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Is there a barbershop or something to change hair style/color in game or do you have to pay real money in the crown store?

So close to subscribing due to inventory issues. Wasting a lot of time shuffling inventory around alts and still running out of room. So many style materials...

And the winter holiday thing is not that great though it should get better once I have the way points unlocked.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

RE: Argonian Behemoth

You could also be this guy and just straight up burn him down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CHCRG31YUo

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I'm coming back to this from a long break. Tell me about what templars can do!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

YellerBill posted:

I'm coming back to this from a long break. Tell me about what templars can do!

My experience so far has been that they're good at just about everything. I queue as healer tank and dps, no problems doing any of them.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Scyantific posted:

RE: Argonian Behemoth

You could also be this guy and just straight up burn him down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CHCRG31YUo

lol christ that's crazy, though doesn't he get a damage boost when you kill the minder's? I can take hits from him prior to the first pair of minders, but as soon as I kill them, if I get in melee range his stun+headbutt combo does about 22k which is instadeath and his shockwave does I think 18K (might be more) if I'm not blocking which is also death.

I generally just half-rear end kite him until 40% then grab the damage mitigation and double damage runes and burn him the gently caress down.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Is anyone able to craft me a heavy hundings chest in either morag tong or redoran style?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hello. Got this game on a whim during the steam sale because it is a tes game and I heard it got a lot better. Rolling a dunmer dk currently but just kinda dicking around atm.

A few questions:
Everything I see about the morrowind expansion looks great. Does it have a lot of lore connections to TES III? I loving love that game.

Is warden a fun class to play? I am looking around and I am getting the impression of nature mage/ ranger. Is that about right?

Other than that been pleasantly surprised with how elder scrolls this game feels. Always thought a tes mmo would be a disaster (and I guess early on it was?), but seems like they fixed a lot of problems.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

A few questions:
Everything I see about the morrowind expansion looks great. Does it have a lot of lore connections to TES III? I loving love that game.

Sure does. You get to visit a lot of the same places, and even run into a few familiar faces.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Farm Undaunted Pledges for stones? gently caress that, let's PvP

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Scyantific posted:

Farm Undaunted Pledges for stones? gently caress that, let's PvP

I take it your gold weapons survived? I still don't have enough to transmute one item. :lol:

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
Can I get a guild invite for @pipeface?

e: got it!

Dukes Mayo Clinic fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 19, 2017

Begath
Apr 27, 2012

Fish are stupid cause they can't climb trees.
I've been playing the game again since the last time I played way back when Craglorn came out. I've been enjoying the game and thinking I'll stick around for a few more months.

Can I get in on the guild invites? @Dearthort

Foxrunsecurity
Aug 10, 2008
Also looking for one @Fluoridated

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Dose broadbrim Christmas hats :aaa:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

So hey, this is probably best saved for when the game gets another free weekend, but I thought I'd write about why this is the first classical MMO that I've truly liked since I grew tired of wow.

I played through the open beta of wow and it was good, then I played the release for a bit, but the magic was extremely gone. Tried the first expansion, a free trial now and then, but nothing drew me back. The joy of exploration was gone, the social connections weren't interesting enough. My favorite moments from wow weren't clearing a raid boss or doing amazing in PVP, but rather stealthing into strange places where mobs could kill me in one hit and finding legendary bits of lore and legend throughout the world.

In some order Age of Conan (bought the extremely expensive super edition and played it for three hours), Warhammer Online (that died), D&D Online (it was fun and then it wasn't) and Eve Online (played it insofar as you can say you played a game when you were part of the goonswarm and spent most of your time waiting) followed. Nothing truly grabbed my attention, but exploring the world and the lore was always what kept me going for a few dozen hours until I not only grew bored, but ended up despising just how boring it was. I tried picking up wow a year ago and I genuinely hated it. I lasted an hour or two, I think.

But I'm the kind of headass nerd who can disappear into Warhammer/Warcraft/Elder Scrolls wikis for hours. I've spent more time reading poorly written trash about fantasy and sci-fi universes than I've spent on any game, and my library of 40k books is expansive. I find it genuinely engaging, and it's that engagement that motivates me to try these games.

Let's be honest: I'll be back with my computer in ten days, and there's a genuine chance ESO will keep my attention for a couple of weeks more before I completely forget about it, because that's how my ADHD-brain works. But there's also a genuine chance I'll keep playing because I'm having actual real rear end fun with this game. I thought the floaty numbers combat would drive me away, and it didn't. I thought actual people would ruin it, and it didn't. It's actually Good.

So why have I clocked over a hundred hours in this game?

The whole one unlimited Tamriel thing is probably the biggest thing. I've hit 50 with my main, so in a more traditionally structured MMO I would be free to explore the world, but what kept me going for 50 was the knowledge that I could travel anywhere in the world and explore anything whenever I wanted. Full disclosure: I never hit 60 back in the wow days. I still explored every corner of Azeroth I could with my rogue, but I never got that true progression. In this game I can create a whole new character, head to what would have been an end-game area, and experience everything.

And then there's the actual quests. Full voicework, more genuinely interesting and funny characters in a single zone than the entire entirety of Skyrim and fun objectives and encounters. Sure you're collecting bear asses, but you're also uncovering plots, learning how to instakill mooks, pulling off heists and everything. It's all just more substantial. And speaking of heists and mooks. You can steal, pick pockets, assassinate and murder with reckless abandon, and that's whack. While the dead don't stay dead, it still just feels like you're way more in an actual world.

The combat is alright, but everything surrounding it means it's alright that it's alright. The aforementioned world and quests is one thing, but the ability to allocate skillpoints willy nilly instead of being bound to a constricted class makes it even better.

And lastly; the crafting is really fun. It's just deep enough that it feels genuinely interesting, but not so deep and time consuming that you feel like You're a Crafter Now. Myriads of styles and colors means you can make your character look like a total badass or an utter dingus (the goon way [which I don't follow]). And then there's alchemy, and food and drink, and enchanting and everything. You're probably gonna need ESO+ to truly enjoy crafting, but it's worth it.

So yeah, game fun.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Bit of a newbie question - since ESO doesn't have the traditional server-wide auction house/trading post, is there any way of consistently making money from selling things via the guild merchants? I'm running TTC, but all that does AFAIK is make all of the avaliable guild merchants searchable by using the website.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Join a trading guild in a location that is sought after.

Problem: 1000s of people better than you are also trying to do this.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Aramek posted:

Join a trading guild in a location that is sought after.

Problem: 1000s of people better than you are also trying to do this.

Yeah this, the 3 faction capitals and rawl'kah are the big places, not sure if any other zones are really big, maybe clockwork city or vivec?

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

MF_James posted:

Yeah this, the 3 faction capitals and rawl'kah are the big places, not sure if any other zones are really big, maybe clockwork city or vivec?

Vivec definitely, CWC I'm not as sure of. Vivec kinda replaced Belkarth as the "other" big city trade guild spot.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TulliusCicero posted:

Hello. Got this game on a whim during the steam sale because it is a tes game and I heard it got a lot better. Rolling a dunmer dk currently but just kinda dicking around atm.

A few questions:

Is warden a fun class to play? I am looking around and I am getting the impression of nature mage/ ranger. Is that about right?

Other than that been pleasantly surprised with how elder scrolls this game feels. Always thought a tes mmo would be a disaster (and I guess early on it was?), but seems like they fixed a lot of problems.

Yeah, the Morrowind plot involves working for Vivec and you get to see his city under construction, visit Balmora, etc etc.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
The quest for the Telvanni Personality is fantastic and if that's how Morrowind questing is in general, I cannot wait to be done with High Rock and Summerset to enjoy all of it - don't get me wrong, so far Wayrest and Daggerfall are pretty great too.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
This game is... surprisingly good. I bounced off it hard when it first came out, but it turns out, it's fun to explore and the combat (as clunky as it still is) is way more fun than the mainline ES games.

Can I get rid of the crosshair, tho?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mung Dynasty posted:

This game is... surprisingly good. I bounced off it hard when it first came out, but it turns out, it's fun to explore and the combat (as clunky as it still is) is way more fun than the mainline ES games.

Can I get rid of the crosshair, tho?

Not by default, but there's a couple mods that can change or disable the crosshair. Phone posting or I'd link to one

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

corn in the bible posted:

Not by default, but there's a couple mods that can change or disable the crosshair. Phone posting or I'd link to one

I tried one that was called something like WYKKYD or whatever but it just gave a bunch of errors and changing the options didn't actually do anything.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

crosshair? There's a crosshair?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

The quest for the Telvanni Personality is fantastic and if that's how Morrowind questing is in general, I cannot wait to be done with High Rock and Summerset to enjoy all of it - don't get me wrong, so far Wayrest and Daggerfall are pretty great too.

Sun-in-Shadow is a precious cinnamon bun who did nothing wrong.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Comrade Koba posted:

Bit of a newbie question - since ESO doesn't have the traditional server-wide auction house/trading post, is there any way of consistently making money from selling things via the guild merchants? I'm running TTC, but all that does AFAIK is make all of the avaliable guild merchants searchable by using the website.

This is the one thing I capital-H Hate about this game, the convoluted, elitist "guild trader" system. Every other MMO I've played tried to do something "unique" with the player economy before folding and making one central trading hub where every player on every faction can buy or sell. I feel like this game started out with such a colossally bad idea for its auction houses that it might not even be able to recover, it might never be able to get from where it is to anything open, equitable and convenient. Without joining some big huge guild I don't want to join, it's difficult to buy what I want from other players and borderline impossible to sell any of my extra loot... like I could technically sit there yelling WTS in zone chat if I wanted to, but I really don't. By the same token, if an unguilded player has cool poo poo that I want... neither of us will ever know it.

It makes more sense to ignore the lovely player economy entirely, deconstruct every drop, and craft your own gear. It's neat that this is an option, but I don't really like it being the only option.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Giving this thing a shot and enjoying it quite a bit so far.

Any chance of a guild invite to @DrDork?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Without joining some big huge guild I don't want to join, it's difficult to buy what I want from other players and borderline impossible to sell any of my extra loot... like I could technically sit there yelling WTS in zone chat if I wanted to, but I really don't. By the same token, if an unguilded player has cool poo poo that I want... neither of us will ever know it.

Why don't you want to join some "Big Huge Guild"? You can join 5 guilds so who cares if you have to join 1 or 2 to do trading. Buying stuff isn't bad, you wayshrine between the 3 major faction cities, vivec and rawl'kha and check traders, gently caress everywhere else.