Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

thats because themepark MMOs are all largely the same, so why would you plan a sub par one that has a limited playerbase that won't last two years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only wow

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mr. Pickles posted:

in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only wow

I mean it's certainly looking that way. There's only a few devs I'd trust to start from scratch and build a new MMO. Really one, when I think about it real hard, YoshiP at square. Blizz at this point is mainly running off of inherited success imo.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Rhymenoserous posted:

I mean it's certainly looking that way. There's only a few devs I'd trust to start from scratch and build a new MMO. Really one, when I think about it real hard, YoshiP at square. Blizz at this point is mainly running off of inherited success imo.

I wouldn't trust somebody who thinks gating the new expansion behind every single story quest since launch is a good idea.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I would agree wholeheartedly, though yesterday I got burnedout of doing the same old poo poo every day and decided to log into lotro and its new expansion or w/e

after a minute around those old rear end character models, animations and dated world graphics, I was back in the cozy cradle of activision blizzard sucking satans teet

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
lol this game is the worst

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ
this game sucks and lord british died a long time ago

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Thursday Next posted:

lol this game is the worst

:airquote:game:airquote:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

housemaster!!1 posted:

this game sucks and lord british died a long time ago

Lord British is alive and well, as evidenced by His selling samples of His own blood.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Node posted:

Lord British is alive and well, as evidenced by His selling samples of His own blood.

I like to think they hired Chris Elliott to play LB after stealing all Garriott's blood for sweet sweet profits. Richard is floating around in space, star child style. This is why Portalarium is partnering with the Russians, it is all part of the conspiracy!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Save the date! March 27, 2018 is Release 52, otherwise known as LAUNCH CANDIDATE! Lord British is about to make you his bitch!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I have written it down in my calendar. The exact day to sell my pledge and pour out a beer on the ground in memory of how good the Ultimas were.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I can't wait until British proves you all wrong. He had to fight this his whole life and proved everyone wrong every single time. His father was so disgusted that British wanted to bring joy to everyone's lives through video games his father literally left the planet in disgust. Never doubt the man.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Any chance this project gets sued? Or will it actually beat Star Citizen out of the gate?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Any chance this project gets sued? Or will it actually beat Star Citizen out of the gate?

Sued for what?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

iminers posted:

Sued for what?

I was being comical because other high profile beleaguered kickstarter game with macro-transactions, "Star Citizen", is now facing a large lawsuit from CryTek.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Will they finally bring the price down to :10bux:?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I was being comical because other high profile beleaguered kickstarter game with macro-transactions, "Star Citizen", is now facing a large lawsuit from CryTek.

ahhh I see now.
For some reason I was thinking the people who bought this game might Sue garriot and co because the game is a steaming pile of poo poo.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i really wish their office (if they still have anyone unfired by now) was close enough that i could drive there and throw garbage at them until they refund my 30 dollars

making an awful unplayable game is one thing, but stretching it out into a 5 year scam where you're not paying anyone to finish the game but you still have volunteer mods banning people for posting honest summaries of the game, i mean gently caress you garriot, lord shitish

richard hairytits

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Hah Lord Shitish. Lord Dick Shitish. I like it.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

if you end up throwing garbage at lum the mad please tape it and then upload to youtube

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Lum the Mad going down for a lovely Kickstarter MMO that never comes out is marvelously ironic. Imagine going back in time and explaining it to him.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I think people like Inafune, Roberts and Garriott ruined the "Your name is all you need to make a kickstarter" schtick. I can't speak for Shenmue 3, But out of all of those, Bloodstained was the only one i put a little bit of money on. If they gently caress that up, I can't see anybody else trying it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
The thing is they already made like 6 more Shenmue games they are just called Yakuza

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
3D was a mistake. Shroud of the Avatar should have been created with Ultima 4 level EGA graphics and virtually none of these issues would have come to pass.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
A MMO where players can talk to anyone, but are only allowed to say "NAME", "JOB", or "BYE".

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
To be fair, all I ever said to anyone in Ultima Online was "Vendor Buy Bank Guards" and "In Vas Mani ".

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lum come back in here

you gots some splainin' to do

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Lum: Aaaaw Richieeeee

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Watch as Lord British takes credit for and incorrectly describes a system that he had nothing to do with: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/12/an-afternoon-with-lord-british-creating-ultima-onlines-unknown-virtual-ecology/

Raph Koster on the same system in 2006: https://www.raphkoster.com/2006/06/03/uos-resource-system/

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

The season's upon us:

I remember when I used pocket money to buy myself Ultima IX collector's box set as a christmas '99 present and had the cloth map framed. It came with UO promos with the catchphrase "join thousands online" or something, but I couldn't consider playing at the time because I had no means of paying the sub, and I couldn't speak English for poo poo lol. I know IX is frowned upon by the community, mainly because EA, and also because the Avatar had no memory of his previous adventures, but for kid me it was awesome.

gently caress you richard garriott, lum the mad sucks mad dicks, merry christmas

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Mr. Pickles posted:

I know IX is frowned upon by the community, mainly because EA, and also because the Avatar had no memory of his previous adventures, but for kid me it was awesome.

Ultima IX was 'frowned upon' because it had a horrible graphics engine, a million bugs, combat was terrible, the voice acting was a joke, and the story was a pale shadow of what had been originally planned. EA is partially to blame for shuffling people around, but mostly it was Garriott who porked himself up the pooper.

Despite Spoony's rantings, 'forgetting his previous adventures' is a very minor sin.

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002
I remember being in a dungeon (Hythloth?) and jumping off a vital disc elevator as it went up through a hole in the roof. It never came back down, and I'd saved over my previous save where the elevator hadn't moved. Couldn't progress any more with the game, so I just stopped forever and went back on UO.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Ultima IX had a nice box and I still have the included Ankh pendant around here somewhere.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Lonjon posted:

A MMO where players can talk to anyone, but are only allowed to say "NAME", "JOB", or "BYE".

Sounds like Toontown Online.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

synthetik posted:

Ultima IX had a nice box and I still have the included Ankh pendant around here somewhere.

Every single Ultima game was packaged very nicely, with a cloth map, full manual, and some other keepsake. One of them had a metal coin with symbols, another a polished moonstone.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I was so disappointed in IX. I busted my rear end to save Iolo right away and he had barely a word to say to me after. Dick.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
All I can remember about IX besides the packaging was a hedge maze that had a flaming sword in it that you could grab almost immediately that trivialized just about every encounter.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
You could just jump on top of the hedges and bypass the tiny maze altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Gynovore posted:

Every single Ultima game was packaged very nicely, with a cloth map, full manual, and some other keepsake. One of them had a metal coin with symbols, another a polished moonstone.

Five had the symbol of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom, Six had a little bit of moonstone (or a symbol representing a Britannian or Gargish virtue, if you were a lucky winner), and I think Four had an ankh.

I think my favourite was the little bag with runes in from Underworld. :)