Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

The team that holds the center on shifty station can use it to build special fast and free.. I was using a baller weapon, but the really spammy specials might be the best choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Putting a sprinkler on the center spreaders also builds up special really easily.

After spending more time on it, I don't find this version of Shifty Station offensively bad. But I find it really boring. A lot of standoffs happen, or invasions to the other side just get easily repelled. I think there's potential in having the spreaders do things like exert nearly guaranteed turf control on some parts of the map, but this version of Shifty Station's execution of it is lacking. Also something like the center spreaders really shouldn't be an element since as it was just said, specials can be built up stupidly easily.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Right, I kinda like the spreader ramps that go up into spawn on both sides as an alternative to un-inkable tarp ramps. They're a little easier to get up for people who don't have an inkbrush.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Fetus posted:

Putting a sprinkler on the center spreaders also builds up special really easily.

After spending more time on it, I don't find this version of Shifty Station offensively bad. But I find it really boring. A lot of standoffs happen, or invasions to the other side just get easily repelled. I think there's potential in having the spreaders do things like exert nearly guaranteed turf control on some parts of the map, but this version of Shifty Station's execution of it is lacking. Also something like the center spreaders really shouldn't be an element since as it was just said, specials can be built up stupidly easily.

This Shifty Station is pretty much an inoffensive beta map for testing spreaders, and it's very unsubtle about being so. There's a basic rotating spreader, a ramp version, and a vertical version, and those are the only design elements of the map.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

its just lame that the only way to get through is via Bottleneck Circle. the rollers, sure, fine. but having no alternate pathways means its just a hellpit in the middle

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Whew, maybe it's just me being kind of colorblind, but green and red do not contrast very well to me at all - especially on Manta Maria. This is the first time I've had to use the "lock color" option.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The new shifty station isn't offensively bad it's just kinda boring

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I can safely say Team Socks is going to win because Team Sweater has some garbage, garbage players. Not sure it was possible to get sub 500 with a roller weapon yet I’m seeing that nearly every match

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If the terrible teams I've been on are any indication, Team Socks is doomed.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I can safely say Team Socks is going to win because Team Sweater has some garbage, garbage players. Not sure it was possible to get sub 500 with a roller weapon yet I’m seeing that nearly every match

yeah, this is going really, really poorly for Team Sweater. The worst I've ever seen.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Maybe I'm just not taking this game seriously enough, but I don't really get why so many people hate pretty much all of the shifty stations. I haven't had any real beef with any of them so far, and generally enjoyed the experience since it's something new every time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Goodguy3 posted:

Whew, maybe it's just me being kind of colorblind, but green and red do not contrast very well to me at all - especially on Manta Maria. This is the first time I've had to use the "lock color" option.

Sounds like you're extremely red-green colourblind, yes

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I don't know man, we lost like 80% of the matches it took me to get halfway through champion.

Also I feel like sub 500 on a roller isn't too uncommon. I spent alot of matches focusing mostly on turfing and struggled to get over that for a good deal of them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have played many hundreds of hours of Splatoon, and this was the wildest match I've ever played

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shinmera posted:

Maybe I'm just not taking this game seriously enough, but I don't really get why so many people hate pretty much all of the shifty stations. I haven't had any real beef with any of them so far, and generally enjoyed the experience since it's something new every time.

Because you're reading a thread in a gaming forum, and a lot of people think complaining about games makes them good at games.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
As usual,

Supercar Gautier posted:

You will not be able to discern which team is playing better from your extremely limited sample of matches.

that said, I just hit Sock King, 21 wins to 10 losses. We'll see!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Seriously shifty station is a treat and I wish it wasn't tied to splatfest. I wish it were more like a Salmon Run type event.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Astro7x posted:

I feel like this is a repeat of Splatoon on Wii U all over again. I step away for a few months to play another game, come back, and everyone is better than me and I am horrible. I have won 20% of my last 50 matches.

Like... the begining of this game was the sweet spot for me. I was kicking rear end, I knew the few maps it had really well, I had a solid main weapon that wasn't nerfed. Now it's like, wtf am I doing. All these people playing are levels 50+ just can't hit these fucker before they hit me.

I had lovely run of games last night but in the morning I was slaughtering the children as god and Marina intended.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Played 20 matches, only won 9 :negative: sorry team Socks

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

team socks? more like team SUCKS

ive lost more games this splatfest than ever before despite constantly getting 1200+ points

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got to Sock Queen and stayed posi. Stay strong Sock brothers

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I played with a dude today who was level 75 and S+50 :staredog:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

In Training posted:

I can’t believe they even added a prestige mode when leveling up after 50 is such an insane grind.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:

In Training posted:

In the EU fest I played with the person that eventually got #1 in the whole thing (Plontro). Thought I was doing good and then the game ends and this person has 20 kills/assists. Their final Splatfest Power was 2719, which is over 100 points more than the next highest person.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

In Training posted:

I got to Sock Queen and stayed posi. Stay strong Sock brothers

boooooooyah this morning i have been walking all over these sweaters

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Sock King 19-13

I had no idea they changed up Moray Towers in the center. It messed me up at first because I like playing support there with the Jet Squelcher and hold down my team's side. While still effective, I had to make more retreats with enemies rushing in more.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Anyone who picked Team Sock probably has a foot fetish tbh

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Anyone who picked Team Sock probably has a foot fetish tbh

You sir, have never worn a great pair of socks. That being said, some of the art in the plaza seems to validate your statement.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Please don't kinkshame my torso fetish.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Shinmera posted:

I liked the first one and the one in last splatfest, but all the rest have had a really lovely bottleneck element in the middle that just makes it an unfun meat grinder and discourages pushing to the other side.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Because you're reading a thread in a gaming forum, and a lot of people think complaining about games makes them good at games.

I complain because I'm bad at this game and it makes me upset to be bad

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 16, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The last shifty station was wonderful and I wish they reskinned and slightly tweaked it into a new map.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Sock Queen 19-21 :negative:

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/Jarrogue/status/942186421367971840

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/942197458523713536

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

In Training posted:

I have played many hundreds of hours of Splatoon, and this was the wildest match I've ever played
Splatoon 1v1's :c00lbert:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
25 to 18 for team Sweater, hit Sweater Queen.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/Todd_Spengo/status/942038725558595586

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
They went for the long con! The "Oh no!" voice at 0:24 is fantastic. :allears:

https://twitter.com/three_switch/status/942186085991383040

less than three fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 17, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

less than three posted: