Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ugh I feel like I've gotten "too good" at genealogy for the Danish society's forums. I answer a lot of questions there, but when I have a question I very rarely get an answer & when I do it's often something like "gee, yeah that's a tough one!"

annoying humblebrag snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Swedish ArkivDigital is free this weekend:
http://blog.arkivdigital.net/try-arkivdigital-for-free-this-weekend/

probably trying to drum up subscribers before the state archives go free lol :)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah I just saw that was going to say something. Of course its the weekend I have plans all weekend of COURSE it is.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Powaqoatse posted:

Finally found the death records of a guy I had been looking for forever. His death recorded said he was divorced (all the census records had said he was unmarried, but of course that info was self-reported). So I go through a decade of marriage records and find the marriage, and it again said he was divorced. Fucker was twice divorced but pretended he never was married. He even had a kid.

Got hold of the divorce records from his first marriage and hoo boy

There's a ton of handwritten letters from him about how horrible his wife and parents-in-laws are, and what bad influence they are on his son. The wife smokes tobacco(!), her father is a brutish drunk, her mother is a kleptomaniac, they've taught the 3-4 year old son swear words and the grandmother has "fondled his member, saying tickle-tickle" which necessitated a "small operation" at the hospital :stare:

The magistrate doesn't find any wrong-doing though, so she gets custody. I hope they were right :ohdear:

Hopefully he's just in angry divorce-mode and full of poo poo and the small operation was for something like phimosis...

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 10, 2017

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Powaqoatse posted:

Just saw that the household examination records for Sweden 1880-1920 have come online (for free, unlike the local providers):
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/2790465

They should contain pretty much everyone who lived in Sweden in that period. If anyone needs help with translations of notes or whatever, lemme know.

These are really cool. Thanks! I might solve the family falling through the ice mystery of my great great grandfather after all

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Bilirubin posted:

These are really cool. Thanks! I might solve the family falling through the ice mystery of my great great grandfather after all

Btw, I believe the search is fully indexed by native Swedes (it's some kind of exchange/buy, Swedish paysites have had the dataset for a while), so it should yield fairly good results :)

Anyway lately I've been working on figuring out the parentage of my great5-grandfather who has been the shortest branch in that part of my family pretty much since I began my research. The issue is he was born in a tiny fishing hamlet circa 1756 and the church records have of course burned like they did in my hometown (whereto he moved in 1781).

So I've been acid-testing how much genealogical materical can be extracted from secular accounting records such as copyholds, taxes, cadastres, etc. It turns out quite a lot can, but oh man sometimes things just will not match up as you want them to.

Par example, according to copyhold records in 1718 say two men living in houses nos. 3 and 4; in 1744 the son of the man in no. 4 takes over house "no. 3, after his parents". I suppose the man in house 4 must have moved to house 3, right? And where's the man in house 3?

Well, I dug into tax records, and it seems that for a period in the late 1720s, two wholly different people lived in houses 3 & 4. I ponder this some, and start checking out probates for any familiar names & what do you know: A man who died in house 4 in 1713, his wife is the same as the man who dies in house 3 in 1739. But: neither is the man I am looking for!

I speculate further and come to a new hypothesis: The woman was married thrice to men who all died before her: Her first husband in house 4; her second husband took over the house when he married her; then she married the man in house 3 and movied in with him. When she died, her son took over house 4 in 1744 "after his parents" (ie. stepfather and mother).

Pretty good hypothesis, if I do say so myself. All evidence fits, nothing contradicts. Nothing directly proves either, though...

Then I remember there's a cadastre (complete accounting of the households and heads of same) from 1733 and I'm like score! Alas, when I get it at the archive (& photograph it), the tiny fishing hamlet does not figure in the cadastre.

I sulked for a couple months like an idiot until I noticed in my photos of the frontispiece that a note says "some additions and comments" are to be found in the accountings of a specific year! SCORE! I ordered them this wednesday and went to check them out at the archives today and you know what

I forgot

the archives close early on fridays.

At least I guess tuesday I might find out or not :pwn:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

God I wish I could just waltz over to my local archives and find poo poo from the 1700s on my direct family line. Maybe if I lived in Canada I could pull that off. Oh for 5th ggpa to be my shortest line.

Anyway, Powaqoatse posts are why I encourage everyone to get DNA tested and get those results up on as many sites as you can think of, not just the one you tested on. FTDNA and MyHeritage have a lot more European members than ancestry does. I dunno bout 23&Me yet but I'm going to find out, I think.

There are a TON of Black Friday sales coming up next week, and the Monday after is known as Cyber Monday and there will deals on there too. DNA tests are going on sale (23&Me has a buy two for 49/ea and free shipping right now) Ancestry is usually on sale for 69 at this time, FTDNA usually follows suit, and either of those can be uploaded to GedMatch and MyHeritage. Ancestry can also be uploaded to FTDNA but not vice-versa (ancestry does not allow any uploads currently). 23&Me's newest test doesn't play well with gedmatch yet, but I think there's a beta version in the Tier I tools that works with it and it will trickle down to production eventually.

Links:
FTDNA $59 from now til New Year's
Ancestry DNA 69 dollars and free shipping, watch for Black Friday deals though.
23 And Me (49 dollars each for two or more, 199 for one and health reports)
My Heritage DNA $59

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I mentioned earlier that I had found some really lovely low-res headshots of some ancestors on a website. I now have the lovely low-res but full size images :D also I might have found out who was first to upload them, so I'm trying to get in touch with them on Facebook.

However, I noticed that one of them has quite the similarity to an unidentified photo that's been inherited down through the ages. What do you all think, is this the same person? The woman in the lovely photo was born 1835 and the photo is from after her marriage in 1861 (26 years old), so that would put the good photo in the 1850s (age 15-25) if they're the same.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Not the same just judging from the style of dress and the time frame it'd have to be. That drop shoulder style was early-mid-1860s (often referred to as Civil War style in the U.S.) Honestly it looks more like the same dress in the first picture especially with that rather distinctive necklace, unless that was a common part of some national dress that everyone wore that I am unaware of. Is it an original or do you know what the original was printed on (e.g. paper, tintype) That could help date it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Also, all your DNA deals for Black Friday can be found here and that includes Canada Europe and Australian deals! 49 buck tests from FTDNA and 23&Me! Lowest price yet! Go see!!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oracle posted:

Not the same just judging from the style of dress and the time frame it'd have to be. That drop shoulder style was early-mid-1860s (often referred to as Civil War style in the U.S.) Honestly it looks more like the same dress in the first picture especially with that rather distinctive necklace, unless that was a common part of some national dress that everyone wore that I am unaware of. Is it an original or do you know what the original was printed on (e.g. paper, tintype) That could help date it.

Thanks! I only have the scan handy, I'll try and get the original.

Also I find it super hard to judge ages in old photos, so I mean the "good photo" girl could be over 25? Ugh I wish the face was just a little bit clearer in the crappy one.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Couldn't find the photo (so many boxes lol) but grandma remembered that it's definitely from her mother's parent's side (the crappy photo is of her mother's maternal grandma) and it doesn't look like anyone else we know. So I'd say 90% certain it's the same woman.

Wrote up that part of the family for grandma & she was very happy and touched :)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

God you make me feel like such a slacker. Some day I too will make all the data pretty and readable just like on Finding Your Roots in a big ol' binder.

In the meantime I was up til almost 3 last night trying to finish yet another McCarthy line, I swear the drat Sullivans/O'Learys/MacCarthy's all intertwine so drat much they must've all known each other back in Cork/Kerry, they MUST HAVE I WILL FIND YOU YOU ELUSIVE MICK BASTARDS STOP HIDING THERE'S LIKE 40,000 OF YOU IN THIS drat COUNTRY ALL FROM THE SAME COUNTY STOP NAMING ALL YOUR KIDS DENIS/CORNELIUS/MICHAEL/TIMOTHY/ELLEN/VARIATIONS ON MARY ANN!!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

To be fair, I based most of my writeup on stuff I've found over the last 15 years of active genealogying. I just wanted to put some more stuff around the photos I had found so it wasn't just a sheet of paper. Started out adding a little tree to show the relationships, then decided to write up some curious details I had noticed & eventually it was 15 pages :)

But yeah I think that's a sound hypothesis. People who knew each other back home or came from the same area were way more likely to marry than marrying some random person who wasn't from the old count(r)y

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Powaqoatse posted:

To be fair, I based most of my writeup on stuff I've found over the last 15 years of active genealogying. I just wanted to put some more stuff around the photos I had found so it wasn't just a sheet of paper. Started out adding a little tree to show the relationships, then decided to write up some curious details I had noticed & eventually it was 15 pages :)

But yeah I think that's a sound hypothesis. People who knew each other back home or came from the same area were way more likely to marry than marrying some random person who wasn't from the old count(r)y

Well I know its true for at least some of them based on records and wills, where one dude talks about how they all came over 20+ years ago as a group and then brought over brothers etc. Now if I could just find from exactly WHERE and exactly WHEN argh (and also if every 4th person didn't have the same name in the county and the baptismal record scans were legible and and and)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

When are we talking? I mean some sites let you search censuses based on relationships like "everyone named Cornelius Sullivan who is listed as brother to a Timothy Sullivan" or whatever. If you know who are siblings that is.

I've been trying to find an ancestor who was born somewhere in Schleswig-Holstein since forever, and it's so hard cause jurisdictions have changed around a thousand times & some records are in Germany and cost money to access -- if you can even figure out what you want to look at.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Like early 1800s when records are scarce especially for poor Catholics (fire destroyed a lot of census records in Ireland during the Revolution). Also they all named their goddamn kids the same thing. Denis, Cornelius, Thomas, Timothy etc etc. And being Catholic they all had a bajillion kids to the point where they'd run out of names and use the SAME NAME AGAIN FOR ANOTHER KID BORN 20 YEARS AFTER THE FIRST ONE OF THAT NAME BECAUSE WHY THE HELL NOT. Like the guy wasn't even dead they just decided what the hell let's have another loving Cornelius.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oh man yeah.

One of my ancestors was named Niels Christensen Dalsgaard (born 1831). His older brother (born 1830) had literally the exact same name. Each of their names make perfect sense even if they're duplicates:

- Niels (given name, after paternal/maternal grandfather, respectively)
- Christensen (son of Christen, their father's name)
- Dalsgaard (a farm byname from their ancestors)

To make it worse, the older one married an Ane Marie & the other married an Ane Kirstine. Often the only way to tell the difference is by like "did he own a farm at that point?"

I've been told by a descendant of the older Niels that they were called "Big Niels" & "Li'l Niels" in real life.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Apparently a lot of Irish families followed this convention:
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cregan/patterns.htm
It certainly makes for a lot of repetitive firstnames.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yea, the core of it was basically the same here until the late 1800s, only from 1870 on did it become popular to give your kids "fresh" names.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jaguars! posted:

Apparently a lot of Irish families followed this convention:
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cregan/patterns.htm
It certainly makes for a lot of repetitive firstnames.

Yeah, Prussians had something similar only with the added bonus of a 'saint's name' that every kid of the same gender had as their first name. So it would appear every boy had the first name Johann and every girl was Maria. Then they'd do the mom's mom/dad's dad thing, throw in a few more names for good measure, and then let the kids pick which names they went by, which would of course never be what the priest wrote down or what was used legally, unless one wasn't paying attention and just wrote down whatever they were told, which is how one guy was Michael Weiss in one record and Joshua Weiss in another and Adam Weiss in a third. You could tell it was the same dude because his wife had FIVE GIVEN NAMES and by god, you wrote down every single one of those fuckers whenever you referred to her. It was something like Ulrike Annika Maria Sophia Laura Ahrens. Even on her death certificate. She must've been some kind of terror.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

top 5 long names from my database

81 1 NAME Rasmine Therecia Charlotte Frederikke Nielsine /Andersen/
59 1 NAME Alexander Carl Peter Georg Sophus Ferdinand /Larsen/
58 1 NAME Elvira Frederikke Emilie Johanne Axcine /Philipsen/
56 1 NAME Martin Peter Christian Theodor Ferdinand /Larsen/
54 1 NAME Angelica Napoline Florentine Fransiska /Larsen/

All born in the 1890s iirc. They went nuts here too.

note to self
$ ack NAME Database.ged | awk '{ print length, $0 }' | sort -nr | head -n 25

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 2, 2017

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh! Another naming convention I noticed was giving the kid the names of their baptismal sponsors, so Maria Sophia Margarita would be named Maria after the saint, then her sponsors as listed would be Sophia whoever and Margarita so and so. Girls sponsors would be girls and boys would be male. This seemed to have gotten less common further into the 19th century but earlier records you can bank on it. Now if I only knew if the sponsors were also family members or just friends...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

They "might be" family is I think the rule :P

I just read an article that checked out 3-4 different parishes in Denmark, how they their godparents/sponsorships were chosen -- apparently completely different in each parish. One parish they used big farm families, another they only used close family, a third they used people from outside the parish, etc

Dunno if the Irelandish baptism were as varied, but holy moly

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Oracle posted:

Yeah, Prussians had something similar only with the added bonus of a 'saint's name' that every kid of the same gender had as their first name. So it would appear every boy had the first name Johann and every girl was Maria. Then they'd do the mom's mom/dad's dad thing, throw in a few more names for good measure, and then let the kids pick which names they went by, which would of course never be what the priest wrote down or what was used legally, unless one wasn't paying attention and just wrote down whatever they were told, which is how one guy was Michael Weiss in one record and Joshua Weiss in another and Adam Weiss in a third. You could tell it was the same dude because his wife had FIVE GIVEN NAMES and by god, you wrote down every single one of those fuckers whenever you referred to her. It was something like Ulrike Annika Maria Sophia Laura Ahrens. Even on her death certificate. She must've been some kind of terror.

I saw a dispute on an ancestry tree that said "Jean couldn't possibly be the father since he was born in 1811." I almost fell out of my chair laughing. Literally every male in the family had Jean as their saint's name. Have you seen where they move the saint's name to the end? Like, the baptismal record reads "Marie Anne Catherine" but they're buried under "Anne Catherine Marie." It seems to show up with increased contact with the English.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brennanite posted:

I saw a dispute on an ancestry tree that said "Jean couldn't possibly be the father since he was born in 1811." I almost fell out of my chair laughing. Literally every male in the family had Jean as their saint's name. Have you seen where they move the saint's name to the end? Like, the baptismal record reads "Marie Anne Catherine" but they're buried under "Anne Catherine Marie." It seems to show up with increased contact with the English.

I have seen every goddamn permutation known to man, I think. Its like even the parish priests know they have too goddamn many names and just throw them in whatever order however they remember it (with the aforementioned badass xth great-grandma who made drat sure they got it right EVERY time even after her death the exception).

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Has anyone had any luck ordering death certificates? My mom wants me to use it as a launching pad for getting my grandmother's hospital and mortuary records.

Edit: Oracle, your post is a lot funnier now that I've tracked a woman whose name is never the same on any document. Baptismal name was Marie Aimee Scholastique and she's Scholastique on her marriage record, Marie on the first census, Widow Husband's Name on the next one, then Mrs. Second Husband's Name, Solastie First Husband's Surname, and finally Aimee Second Husband's Surname. No wonder we can't figure out where she's buried.

Brennanite fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 16, 2017

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Brennanite posted:

Has anyone had any luck ordering death certificates? My mom wants me to use it as a launching pad for getting my grandmother's hospital and mortuary records.

I’ve ordered them from New York City and literally just mailed off a request for a pair from California. It’s usually pretty straightforward if you know where/when they died. Especially if you have an index to cross-reference against (as both NYC and California do)

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I ordered a birth certificate for my grandfather from the state of Kentucky. It was fairly easy since I knew all of his info and I got it quickly.

I learned that his middle name was spelled differently than previously thought. I got perverse delight in telling my brother that his middle name (which he shared with my grandfather) was wrong. I think my exact words were "your life is a lie". LOL

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I’ve ordered them from New York City and literally just mailed off a request for a pair from California. It’s usually pretty straightforward if you know where/when they died. Especially if you have an index to cross-reference against (as both NYC and California do)

I do have an index to cross-reference against; I was just wondering if anyone had run into problems with anti-identify theft statutes or whatnot. It's been 60 yrs, but I think some states have a 100 yr waiting period if not the person, their spouse or child. Maybe that's for birth certificates though?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I don't think a lot of people order their own death certificate :haw:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Brennanite posted:

I do have an index to cross-reference against; I was just wondering if anyone had run into problems with anti-identify theft statutes or whatnot. It's been 60 yrs, but I think some states have a 100 yr waiting period if not the person, their spouse or child. Maybe that's for birth certificates though?

Birth certificates are usually much more tightly controlled than death certificates for that reason, assuming you’re not a direct blood relation.

Each jurisdiction has its own rules of course, so it’s worth reading up the rules for the one you’re querying. Usually these rules are available from whatever agency or website you’re placing the order on; the FamilySearch wiki will also typically summarize them as well.

For example,

• New York City is (effectively) 68 years for death certificates (if not a direct family member) and (effectively) 107 for birth certificates. Before those dates, they are available in the publicly-accessible Municipal Archives, rather than the Department of Health.
  • California appears (surprisingly) to be 0 years for both (informational-only) birth and death certificates, though some identification may be redacted for more recent certificates
  • New Jersey is 40 years for death certificates, and 100 for birth certificates
  • Texas is 25 years for death certificates and 75 years for birth certificates

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brennanite posted:

What state? And I don't know that you'll be able to get hospital records. I don't even know if they keep those past a certain period of time. Also keep in mind when ordering them that you don't necessarily need a notarized copy unless you're trying to do something legal with them like get an inheritance or whatever, as those tend to cost more and take longer. Some states like Michigan (https://www.seekingmichigan.org) have all of them from around 1898-1952 that they currently have online for free, though their search engine could use some work.

quote:

Edit: Oracle, your post is a lot funnier now that I've tracked a woman whose name is never the same on any document. Baptismal name was Marie Aimee Scholastique and she's Scholastique on her marriage record, Marie on the first census, Widow Husband's Name on the next one, then Mrs. Second Husband's Name, Solastie First Husband's Surname, and finally Aimee Second Husband's Surname. No wonder we can't figure out where she's buried.
Right? Its funny cuz its SO GODDAMN TRUE.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Oracle posted:

What state? And I don't know that you'll be able to get hospital records. I don't even know if they keep those past a certain period of time. Also keep in mind when ordering them that you don't necessarily need a notarized copy unless you're trying to do something legal with them like get an inheritance or whatever, as those tend to cost more and take longer. Some states like Michigan (https://www.seekingmichigan.org) have all of them from around 1898-1952 that they currently have online for free, though their search engine could use some work.

Utah. I found the index, but I'd like the actual record. She died in route to Phoenix, which was apparently pitched as a restorative place with clean air, warm breezes, and sunshine. Feel bad she never made it. And yeah, I already contacted the hospital listed in the index (the only one in town) and they don't keep records after 10 yrs. So that's a strike out.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Do you have subscriptions anywhere? If no PM me with the relevant info and I'll see if its on one of the big two.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Oracle posted:

I think the biggest lesson I've had so far was why my paternal grandfather always struck out when hunting his genealogy in Sweden despite speaking Swedish--our last name, the most common one in North America probably, is actually an Ellis Island name and so he would never get a result searching traditionally. Thank goodness everything is digitized, and for me google translate reasonably good.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Having a hard time figuring out some fathers in the mid 1800s. They're off on a side-branch in my tree, but it's the part I want to eventually write a book about so I've been going through everything I can think of for a couple weeks but nothing is working out yet.

In the one case, there's no paternity suit, possibly because the mother 6 months after the birth is incarcerated & ends up at the poorhouse, so her children are raised under the city magistrate.

In the other case, there's no paternity suit either because the child dies 9 days old.

Regardless, I want to know who the men were. So far, censuses & searchable registers have given me exactly zip :sigh:

But I ordered a bunch of unrelated stuff to check out at the archive so that'll be fun :woop:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Out of curiosity, has anyone here who has done US research made any FOIA requests for dead relatives with the FBI, USCIS or the Department of State?

I’m preparing to file a couple for a handful of relatives who seem most likely to have records and was wondering if anyone had experience with the process.

Similarly, has anyone had any experience requesting A-Files for people born before 1910 from the National Archives at Kansas City?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I can only speak to applying for access here in Denmark..

Speaking of America though, I'm looking for these two:

quote:

Name Christine Hansen
-- birth date 16 mar 1871 (note her age is given wrong on the manifest)
Event Type Immigration
Event Date 1887
Event Place New York City, New York, United States
Gender Female
Age 19
Birth Year (Estimated) 1868
Birthplace Denmark
Ship Name Island
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVSV-L457

Name Kirsten Eriksen
-- birth date 12 dec 1847
Event Type Immigration
Event Date 1888
Event Place New York City, New York, United States
Gender Male
Age 40
Birth Year (Estimated) 1848
Birthplace Denmark
Ship Name Island
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVSL-WKG9

Kirsten is the mother of Christine. I've tried searching for them in the FamilySearch censuses but I haven't been able to locate them. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Powaqoatse posted:

I can only speak to applying for access here in Denmark..

Speaking of America though, I'm looking for these two:

Kirsten is the mother of Christine. I've tried searching for them in the FamilySearch censuses but I haven't been able to locate them. Any ideas?

Censuses are tricky and prone to having misspelled entries and errors, especially when immigrants are involved, so you may want to look for other sources to help give you pointers before you come back looking for censuses.

A case in point:

This past summer I believe I finally found out what happened to a long-lost relative, Anton Pustka, who was previously only known to have died “in the United States”, after leaving his only daughter behind with his father-in-law in Moravia.

In my original searches some years back, I found no census records. However, I was able to come at the problem from a seemingly consistent (if under-documented) death record in St. Louis.

But with only an eerily consistent age and name to go on, how was I to trust that this record was really of my relative?

This summer, while on a trip to St. Louis to see the eclipse and do some genealogy research, I was able to crack the case, first by finding St. Louis city directory listings. This gave me an address. Only then was I able to come back and find a census record, by using the address from the city directory to locate the enumeration district that Anton Pustka would be recorded in, referencing the maps that were originally used for this purpose, as the death record had not filled in his place of residence.

It turned out that this relative was not recorded as “Anton Pustka” of Moravia in the 1900 census, but as “Anton Putsca” of Hungary. Still, his birth month was correct, as was a reference to his year of immigration, which matched a passenger manifest I had found previously, but had no way of firmly linking to the Anton Pustka in Moravia.

Of course all this was helped along by discovery (at the same time) of a separate record of Anton Pustka mysteriously “unable to be found” in Moravia to serve a debt to, thereby requiring his father-in-law be charged with paying it, a mere month after his immigration record in the US.

It should also be noted that, despite all this, I still have no idea where his record might be in the 1880 census (He was evidently in St. Louis for only the few years before his death), nor what happened to his wife (though I now have a curious lead in some British censuses at the same time)

Now this isn’t saying that it will be so easy for you since your immigrants came over right before the ill-fated 1890 US census, the vast majority of which was lost in a fire. And of course it is not helped by the fact that both(?) of your subjects are women, who will lose their name upon marriage. Even so, you may have some luck filling in the gap with local records to get you to 1900.

For example, if they stick around in New York City for a few years, they may turn up in the 1892 New York State Census, which is a helpful proxy for the 1890 US census.

TL;DR: Because censuses sometimes have gross misspellings, I recommend looking for other “curiously accurate” records of other kinds, like marriage, death, and probate records, and working backwards from there.

Christine in particular might be findable from children who list her original surname as their mother’s maiden name upon marriage. But here, you’d need some idea of where Christine may have gotten married.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 20, 2017