Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Benicio Del Toro’s minor character was more interesting and memorable than the entire cast of Rogue One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

If the Resistance cruisers are faster and lighter than the First Order's ships then why don't they ever get entirely out of range of the cannons over the course of a day's pursuit 🤔

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Kurzon posted:

It took a heck of a lot of balls for him to free Poe and steal a TIE fighter. He doesn't give a poo poo about the Resistance because why should he? He fled the First Order because he couldn't stomach the inhumanity of it. He owed the Resistance nothing. He did care about Rey and rather than running away he sticks around to save his friends. He then leads a strike team to Starkiller Base. He's brave as gently caress and sticks up for his friends.

I don't like that they had him try to escape in that escape pod, because I don't think those pods have hyperdrives. Where would he go? The First Order would have just popped him out of space. It made zero sense.

Perhaps "selfish coward" was unnecessarily harsh, because Finn has always been a sympathetic and relatable character, but compared with a "hero," he puts himself and his friends ahead of the great cause, and he keeps running from poo poo until the midpoint of TLJ.

He didn't flee because of the inhumanity of the First Order, he fled because he was shellshocked in battle and was going to face consequences for it. He rescued Poe because he needed a pilot, not because he thought it was the right thing to do. If he believed the First Order was evil, and was acting out of that motivation, he would've been much more focused on helping the Resistance as his primary goal, but he's not.

Compare this with ANH Luke, who consciously decides to help the Rebel Alliance by taking R2D2 to Alderaan, and then commits himself to the Rebellion and fights in the Battle of Yavin even as he could've easily gone with Han or done whatever else.

Finn is not a classic hero, and he repeatedly shows fear, weakness and motivations contrary to what we would expect of an archetypal hero. That doesn't make him bad -- it makes him an interesting character, who's certainly likely to develop further over the next movie. That's why we needed the Canto Bight quest, confrontation with Phasma, etc.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Snoke would have been better if he were literally a 40 foot tall giant

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Andy Serkis is so loving good. What a waste to off him.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

speng31b posted:

I guess he used too much force juice projecting himself across the galaxy, but it was kind of lame.

they should have had luke literally die in the first barrage, and then keep trolling kylo with his force ghost

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Linguica posted:

If the Resistance cruisers are faster and lighter than the First Order's ships then why don't they ever get entirely out of range of the cannons over the course of a day's pursuit 🤔

The First Order should have just jumped to lightspeed slightly ahead of the Resistance fleet and then wasted them.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I like that two of the more obvious callbacks to the OT were well used and not just shoehorned in there. R2 playing the original Leia message was a good moment and so was ghost Yoda. They were character motivating moments, not incidental bullshit or coincidence. It wasn’t like “oh look Chewie accidentally kicked R2 and the Leia message started playing!” Like the chess board thing in TFA or buttface and pig nose in Rogue One. Or basically everything in the prequels.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

By gleefully burning books, Yoda proved once and for all that it was Jedi who were true space Nazis all along.

Also, has Finn actually achieved a single thing? Even his supposed victory over Phasma rings hollow once you remember that the floor would've conveniently exploded under her in, like, five seconds anyway.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Rey had the Jedi books. Yoda knew that. The only thing Yoda burned was an old tree.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

After sitting on it for a few days, I think I love it. I still had some issues like it was too long but I think it was what Star Wars needed. I just hope JJ doesn’t gently caress up Episode 9.

Last Jedi is the Majora’s Mask/Sons of Liberty of Star Wars.

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game
So Yoda using force lightning as a Deadi opens up some interesting possibilities. Will we finally get to see what all the dead Jedi have been yammering about being "more powerful than anyone can ever imagine"?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The Episode IX opening crawl just leaked. I’m really happy that Disney seems to be doing away with the childish escapism of the old movies- they’re not afraid to get down to brass tacks and tell it like it REALLY is.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Pakled posted:

Also, did I miss something or did nothing that Finn and Rose do matter at all to the main plot

So?

Dexo posted:

Friends with benefits, Rey finally shut him out at the end, but yeah they had a little fling forcetiming with each other. Killed a Dark Lord...

Forcetime and chill

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SeANMcBAY posted:

After sitting on it for a few days, I think I love it. I still had some issues like it was too long but I think it was what Star Wars needed. I just hope JJ doesn’t gently caress up Episode 9.

Last Jedi is the Majora’s Mask/Sons of Liberty of Star Wars.

Majora's Mask is good though, so the comparison doesn't hold up. Majora's Mask like TLJ, took risks and turned things on it's head, but that's where the similarities end since Majora's Mask is still a good game with great characters, moments and isn't a bloated mess. TLJ is a terrible film with poor pacing, characters, story, an over reliance on visuals, rehashes a ton of poo poo AND is way too long and becomes tiresome to finish.

So yeah, it's more like Sons of Liberty, which is trash.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BunLengthHotDog posted:

So Yoda using force lightning as a Deadi opens up some interesting possibilities. Will we finally get to see what all the dead Jedi have been yammering about being "more powerful than anyone can ever imagine"?

That wasn't force lightning. It was regular old lightning. Just lightning, the kind that comes from clouds. Perfectly natural lightning. Which Yoda caused through being one with the force on an island very strong with the force.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Mahoning posted:

I like that two of the more obvious callbacks to the OT were well used and not just shoehorned in there. R2 playing the original Leia message was a good moment and so was ghost Yoda. They were character motivating moments, not incidental bullshit or coincidence. It wasn’t like “oh look Chewie accidentally kicked R2 and the Leia message started playing!” Like the chess board thing in TFA or buttface and pig nose in Rogue One. Or basically everything in the prequels.

Speaking of the Yoda appearance...

I was not expecting it at all. My knee jerk reaction was "oh no why are they trying to wedge him in here, too?" but it ended up being one of my favorite scenes of the entire film.

It was definitely a very honorable reference to the original trilogy. Luke's core relationship with Yoda still held the same dynamic that made it so great in the first place. No matter how much Luke had experienced, Yoda still made it very clear that learning never stops. He still imparted wisdom in a playful, tricky, and ultimately shocking way without being disingenuous or arrogant. He can still see the bigger picture in a way no other character in the entire canon can. His very brief appearance refocused Luke to be as he once was, but even greater. Luke learned Yoda's lesson at the same time as the audience, which reset Luke as the audience representative. Even when Luke continued to surprise us after that, the viewer was clearly emotionally connected with him again after his intentional distance and reluctance during the first half of the film.

The scene did so loving much in such a tight space and amount of time. A really remarkable example of what works in these movies.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
I feel like the movie as a whole definitely had a bunch of issues as already mentioned but I liked it. I liked the way they dealt with the force the most - more nuanced than what it had previously been portrayed as. Also as someone who distinctly remembers falling in love with Star Wars because spaceships shooting lasers at one another and laser swords - I can't help but feel like the Dereadnaught, giant laser battering ram, gorilla armed AT-ATs and giant one-hit-kill space lasers are fantastic additions. I suppose I'll know for sure when I take my 6 year old son.

Also that fight after Snoke died was wonderful.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BardoTheConsumer posted:

That wasn't force lightning. It was regular old lightning. Just lightning, the kind that comes from clouds. Perfectly natural lightning. Which Yoda caused through being one with the force on an island very strong with the force.

Same difference, Force Lightning is Sth3, Call Lightning is Drd3, both are reflex half.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tunicate posted:

Same difference, Force Lightning is Sth3, Call Lightning is Drd3, both are reflex half.

It does make a difference thematically though.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Rey had the Jedi books. Yoda knew that. The only thing Yoda burned was an old tree.

Oh sure, Yoda does it, everyone loves him. I do it and I'm disgracing a national park.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Majora's Mask is good though, so the comparison doesn't hold up. Majora's Mask like TLJ, took risks and turned things on it's head, but that's where the similarities end since Majora's Mask is still a good game with great characters, moments and isn't a bloated mess. TLJ is a terrible film with poor pacing, characters, story, an over reliance on visuals, rehashes a ton of poo poo AND is way too long and becomes tiresome to finish.

Imagine having as much of a turgid sense of taste as this.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

The bad guys are trying to kill the rebels by picking them off as they fall behind until they run out of gas, and then they can kill them all.

What's not to get

Its like fury road in space

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
In the next movie, I expect a giant weapon to surpass even Metal Gear!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I was worried they were gonna run out of nobodys to kill for the rebels but then they were ok and akbar didn't get two lines.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wippersnapper posted:

Also that fight after Snoke died was wonderful.

It was everything that was wrong with every lightsaber battle in the prequels, overly choreographed dances.

Lightsabers were just a tool in the OT that people used to whack stuff with and kill dudes, not worrying about looking like an anime character with dramatized ballet movements, spinning lightsabers and twirly dodges.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Just saw the movie. I thought it was really good.

The only part I didn't get and didn't like was Leia using the force to pull herself to safety after presumably being knocked out, in the vacuum of space, for a few minutes. That seemed really out of place.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I was surprised by how gently caress off huge Adam Driver was in that scene.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Poe should have stayed dead, same for Leia.

Rey and Finn facing the last film with no adult supervision would have been nice. Except Finn should have also been killed.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Just saw it again.

Would there need to be any more than a scene or two (if even) added to make this the first movie of the trilogy? It dumpsters everything from TFA. Hell, the opening crawl does a better job of setting the world than the entire previous movie.

I can't think of anything off-hand that would be odd going from RotJ straight into TLJ.

If you're wondering "where's han?", they talk about Kyle killing him

You'd probably need to substitute someone for Maz, but her inclusion was as pointless as she is in TFA

and I think that's it? Some small character moments with Kylo I guess?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

s.i.r.e. posted:

MGS2 is very good.

Hollismason posted:

I was surprised by how gently caress off huge Adam Driver was in that scene.

It reminded me to get back in the gym.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
This was probably my favorite Star Wars movie since the original trilogy. It had some very stupid moments but Mark Hamill, Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley more than made up for it.

I didn't enjoy Marvel style humor, but I think without it the movie could've become grimdark and edgy. I guess I'm just happy it was something original and not a 100% remake of Empire Strikes Back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So they didn't even use the whole "I have the force and so did my father" speech Luke did in some TFA trailer?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Luke’s astral projection confronting the walkers and Kylo Ren is one of the best scenes in the entire series.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

Lightsabers were just a tool in the OT that people used to whack stuff with and kill dudes, not worrying about looking like an anime character with dramatized ballet movements, spinning lightsabers and twirly dodges.
Impressive... every word you just said is completely wrong.

In the OT, light sabers are used for showmanship. They wield them like samurai in some of the most slow and dramatized fight scenes ever made. Anakin in AotC and RotS is actually the one who uses light sabers as "tools to whack stuff with." He takes out bug dudes and droids like he's swinging a baseball bat, and will grab a second saber and pop off a dude's head like it's no big deal. Quigon uses his to melt doors.

This movie actually featured some of the most basic and utilitarian uses of lightsabers, i.e. move the light saber using the force to sneakily cut someone in half, or just hold it up to someone's head and pop them instantly.

Martman fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 16, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

It was everything that was wrong with every lightsaber battle in the prequels, overly choreographed dances.

Yes, I too wish that Kylo Ren and Rey fought the ninja guys like they were two crusty old people.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Zero One posted:

I think maybe a more interesting story would have been to expand the "Military-Industrial Complex" idea.

Light, Dark. Resistance, First Order. Bull, poo poo. It's all been a conflict driven by war profiteers. In this version Snoke isn't some all powerful Sith master, he is just another person who wants to be on top and has made deals to get there. Then men behind Snoke sell arms to both sides and they (and Snoke) don't really want to eliminate the Resistance because that will end their business. That's why all these super weapons and star destroyers have so many flaws... so the Resistance can keep winning battles and the FO has to buy more weapons to fight the war.

Kylo is a true believer but when the truth comes out in the confrontation he kills Snoke and takes over. Now a real Sith is in control with no master but himself and brings us to the real fight for the galaxy in Episode IX.

White House Down, with lasers :getin:

Did BDT die? When the walker first started helping finn i thought maybe Bdt had double-crossed the empire, before we saw bb8 in it

galagazombie posted:

Good Movies: A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Rogue One, Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country
Alright Movies: Force Awakens, First Contact, Search for Spock, JJTrek1, Beyond
Bad Movies that contain some Good or Redeemable Aspects: The Motion Picture, Revenge of the Sith
Bad Movies: Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, The Last Jedi, Final Frontier, Generations, Insurrection, Nemesis, Into Darkness

Where are the ewok movies in this list

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

got any sevens posted:

Where are the ewok movies in this list
They don't appear in the Jedi archives, therefore they don't exist.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

SeANMcBAY posted:

Luke’s astral projection confronting the walkers and Kylo Ren is one of the best scenes in the entire series.

Hell yes.

I have a huge boner for kung-fu films where the hero defeats the villain by not even loving touching him and just teaches him that he's a small-minded fool doing it all wrong. I am always happy to see this used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Martman posted:

In the OT, light sabers are used for showmanship. They wield them like samurai in some of the most slow and dramatized fight scenes ever made. Anakin in AotC and RotS is actually the one who uses light sabers as "tools to whack stuff with." He takes out bug dudes and droids like he's swinging a baseball bat, and will grab a second saber and pop off a dude's head like it's no big deal.

They literally aren't in the OT, the prequels changed it all. Vader and Obi-Wan look like clumsy fools fighting and Luke spends most of the OT just breaking stuff and wailing (or trying to in ESB) on Vader.

TFA was really good with the lightsaber battle with Rey/Finn/Kylo, they're just trying to beat the poo poo out of each other, then it all changes in TLJ with Rey practicing her twirls and spins on Isla de Luke and then having a massive multi-person battle with Kylo we're they're back to back and supporting each other's weight. Didn't they also use slow motion? lol

• Locked thread