Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Randaconda posted:

1991 was the year I turned 12.

*checks comedies that came out that year*

Well, The Addams Family and Naked Gun 2 1/2 both own.

Same age. MTV was exciting. It was cool to hang out at the mall. If you had a friend with a car and a license, fuuuuuck. Just found out about weed too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

McG directed a bunch of music videos in the 90s, which is incredible because they're all the same music video

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I can't technically play the 12-years-old game in the 90s thread cause I was 12 in 1987, but 15-year-old me and my best friend taped SNL religiously and saw the first Wayne's World movie three whole times in the theater. To us, Mike Myers and Dana Carvey were gods who walked as men. Not so much today. The movie mostly holds up, though, and I'll always feel bad for Carvey and his failed sketch comedy show.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Howard Beale posted:

I can't technically play the 12-years-old game in the 90s thread cause I was 12 in 1987, but 15-year-old me and my best friend taped SNL religiously and saw the first Wayne's World movie three whole times in the theater. To us, Mike Myers and Dana Carvey were gods who walked as men. Not so much today. The movie mostly holds up, though, and I'll always feel bad for Carvey and his failed sketch comedy show.

I gotta condemn them because we ended up suffering a ton of bad movies with SNL characters stringing five minute jokes into hour and a half films.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Movies when I was 12:

1. Top Gun Paramount $176,781,728
2. Crocodile Dundee $174,803,506
3. Platoon Orion Pictures $138,530,565
4. The Karate Kid Part II Columbia $115,103,979
5. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home Paramount $109,713,132
6. Back to School Orion $91,258,000
7. Aliens 20th Century Fox $86,160,248
8. The Golden Child Paramount $79,817,937
9. Ruthless People Walt Disney Pictures $71,624,879
10. Ferris Bueller's Day Off Paramount $70,136,169

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I was a huge Jim Carrey fan and I certainly remembered his rise as a big comedy star, but I didn't realize that Ace Ventura, The Mask, and Dumb & Dumber all came out in 1994. God drat.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

ZDar Fan posted:

I was a huge Jim Carrey fan and I certainly remembered his rise as a big comedy star, but I didn't realize that Ace Ventura, The Mask, and Dumb & Dumber all came out in 1994. God drat.

I was 8 in 1994. These were my holy trinity. EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS ACE VENTURA AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ACE...

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Pneub posted:

Napoleon Dynamite is in the same catagory with Freddy Got Fingered as a movie I find hilarious but I understand and am cool with everyone else hating. It flips specific really stupid switches in my brain.

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist is the culmination of this trend

also the best movie ever

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist is the culmination of this trend

also the best movie ever

I love all three of those movies. Maybe my sense of humor is broken :ohdearsass:

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Sci-Fi and fantasy intros. How many do you remember?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg0eTfIa_Cs

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Randaconda posted:

I love all three of those movies. Maybe my sense of humor is broken :ohdearsass:

You are in fact loving dumb for liking at least Freddy Got Fingered and Kung Pow, but, like, gently caress it.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Freddy Got Fingered is a masterpiece

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Somebody played Tootsee Roll at an event I was at tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs7f3ssuEjA

It was everywhere for a time, to the point it was a routine for some area cloggers.

For you non-southerners, clogging is the whitest thing to ever white.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

We Know Catheters posted:

Freddy Got Fingered is a masterpiece

In time, all will know this.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It was everywhere for a time, to the point it was a routine for some area cloggers.

im a southerner and i have no idea wtf clogging is

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

GelatinSkeleton posted:

im a southerner and i have no idea wtf clogging is

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

wtf is clogging

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inzombiac posted:

wtf is clogging

It's what occurs after eating southern cooking.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Inzombiac posted:

wtf is clogging

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

BovineFury posted:

Sci-Fi and fantasy intros. How many do you remember?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg0eTfIa_Cs

HBO's offerings back then were about as 90's as it gets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fPgIIB67bw

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Millions of Crows posted:

In time, all will know this.

People will hate themselves for finally recognizing the truth, but it's a reality that they have no choice but to accept.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bloopsy posted:

HBO's offerings back then were about as 90's as it gets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fPgIIB67bw

This is great.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

As a Morris dancer, I can confirm that all folk dancing is the whitest goddamned thing.

In eleven years of dancing in Canada and the US I have seen one black dancer, one Asian dancer, and one black musician. That is all.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Based upon my knowledge and experience, there is a better than 90% chance that those people are either clogging (dancing, but for white people) to "Dixieland Delight" or the University of Alabama's actual fight song.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

ZDar Fan posted:

It was fun as hell watching him get better after In Living Color, he was amazing in that show. Ace Ventura is still a goddamn masterpiece and never fails to make me laugh.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

It was fun as hell watching him get better after In Living Color, he was amazing in that show. Ace Ventura is still a goddamn masterpiece and never fails to make me laugh.

This might be better off in the Netflix thread, but there's a documentary on Jim Carrey that's full of behind-the-scenes footage shot during the making of "Man On The Moon" that's fascinating. Carrey was in-character as Kaufman the entire time, and it kind of made him either crazy or incredibly sane afterwards. Either way, he never made another movie again.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

HAmbONE posted:

So started watching some 90's videos due to this thread. Was enjoying the quality of the "Tonight Tonight" video by the Smashing Pumpkins. Noticed that the male lead is the creator of Spongebob. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonight,_Tonight_(The_Smashing_Pumpkins_song)#Music_video

He's the voice, not the creator.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Grassy Knowles posted:

Oh man, '96 is mostly garbage and I'd entirely forgotten about GIVEMEBACKMYSON

The top 10 from 1996 isn't too bad.

1. Independence Day 20th Century Fox $817,400,891
2. Twister Warner Bros. / Universal $494,471,524
3. Mission: Impossible Paramount $457,696,359
4. The Rock Disney $335,062,621
5. The Hunchback of Notre Dame $325,338,851
6. 101 Dalmatians $320,689,294
7. Ransom $309,492,681
8. The Nutty Professor Universal $273,961,019
9. Jerry Maguire TriStar $273,552,592
10. Eraser Warner Bros. $242,295,562

On top of that, you have some pretty memorable ones of varying quality like Scream, Space Jam, Happy Gilmore, From Dusk Til Dawn, Trainspotting, Beavis and Butthead do America, Striptease, The People vs Larry Flint, Star Trek First Contact, and Mars Attacks!

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
offtopic from Movie Release Date chat but this is the most 90s thing i've seen today

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

GWBBQ posted:

The top 10 from 1996 isn't too bad.

1. Independence Day 20th Century Fox $817,400,891
2. Twister Warner Bros. / Universal $494,471,524
3. Mission: Impossible Paramount $457,696,359
4. The Rock Disney $335,062,621
5. The Hunchback of Notre Dame $325,338,851
6. 101 Dalmatians $320,689,294
7. Ransom $309,492,681
8. The Nutty Professor Universal $273,961,019
9. Jerry Maguire TriStar $273,552,592
10. Eraser Warner Bros. $242,295,562
We're directly referencing the top 10 lists; The Rock and maybe Jerry Maguire are the only good ones of that lot. Remember that's the live action 101 Dalmations.

GWBBQ posted:

On top of that, you have some pretty memorable ones of varying quality like Scream, Space Jam, Happy Gilmore, From Dusk Til Dawn, Trainspotting, Beavis and Butthead do America, Striptease, The People vs Larry Flint, Star Trek First Contact, and Mars Attacks!

This list, however, owns.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grassy Knowles posted:

We're directly referencing the top 10 lists; The Rock and maybe Jerry Maguire are the only good ones of that lot. Remember that's the live action 101 Dalmations.

Was 101 Dalmatians the first time Disney did a live-action remake of one of its old animated movies? They've done a lot of those lately but I have pretty distinct memories of going to see that 101 Dalmatians movie in the cinema.

I don't know if Hook prompted that trend, because while that obviously wasn't a Disney movie, I remember thinking it assumed familiarity with the Disney movie more than the book.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was 101 Dalmatians the first time Disney did a live-action remake of one of its old animated movies? They've done a lot of those lately but I have pretty distinct memories of going to see that 101 Dalmatians movie in the cinema.

I don't know if Hook prompted that trend, because while that obviously wasn't a Disney movie, I remember thinking it assumed familiarity with the Disney movie more than the book.

The Jungle Book beat it by 2 years, but it's more of a mix of the cartoon and the book.

Pneub has a new favorite as of 14:14 on Dec 19, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pneub posted:

The Jungle Book beat it by 2 years, but it's more of a mix of the cartoon and the book.

I know I've seen that but never realised it was a Disney one.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Bizarre fact that I just learned: there's a new non-Disney big budget live-action Jungle Book coming out next year. Less than two years after the one we just got. And given that "the jungle book" is way more synonymous in popular consciousness with the Disney cartoon than the public domain source material, I bet the reaction to this one is going to be extremely confused.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Grassy Knowles posted:

This list, however, owns.

:lol: Independence Day and Twister may not be "good," but they are dumb and fun and shouldn't be discounted so easily.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

GWBBQ posted:

There was also a huge amount of hype surrounding Bullet Time in The Matrix.

Excuse me, I believe you mean "Khaki Time" in The Gap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knW1hGwmEXQ

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

Excuse me, I believe you mean "Khaki Time" in The Gap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knW1hGwmEXQ

Now there's a brand that's 90's as gently caress.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: Independence Day and Twister may not be "good," but they are dumb and fun and shouldn't be discounted so easily.

I saw independence day three god damned times in theaters and i felt like elaine in seinfeld with the english patient

Twister is fine, i guess, but in no way remarkable

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Phanatic posted:

the last gasp of a dying boomer desperately trying to hold onto a shred of relevance, Santana's "Supernatural."

Whatever do you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVb6J8_dtk0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grassy Knowles posted:

Twister is fine, i guess, but in no way remarkable

When I was little, I was absolutely sure that the twister Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton are chasing was meant to be the same one that killed Hunt's character's father in the prologue, back after 30 years to finish the job.