Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

even the literal Nazis had universal healthcare for their citizens, yeah?

in a sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
talk about your death panels, folks

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pick posted:

in a sense

Holy gently caress your new avatar

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Aw man, twitter is a great format for doin Mad Libs, can't believe assange was the first one to come up with the idea.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Agnostalgia posted:

Aw man, twitter is a great format for doin Mad Libs, can't believe assange was the first one to come up with the idea.

Mad libs, I get it eheh

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Pick posted:

in a sense

pick are you a C-SPAM poster now???

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/pdacosta/status/941879941368635392

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

This would be even worse if it had the past 9 years on it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
safe bed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KetNLp4f_2g

SAFE BED!!!

god drat america

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 16, 2017

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol the recovery after the recession was pretty lopsided for US cities, tech cities like SF/Seattle are doing well while other cities like Las Vegas didn't have the same luck

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/14/decade-since-recession-thriving-cities-leave-others-behind.html

quote:

As the nation's economy was still reeling from the body blow of the Great Recession, Seattle's was about to take off.

In 2010, Amazon opened a headquarters in the little-known South Lake Union district — and then expanded eight-fold over the next seven years to fill 36 buildings. Everywhere you look, there are signs of a thriving city: Building cranes looming over streets, hotels crammed with business travelers, tony restaurants filled with diners.

Seattle is among a fistful of cities that have flourished in the 10 years since the Great Recession officially began in December 2007, even while most other large cities — and sizable swaths of rural America — have managed only modest recoveries. Some cities are still struggling to shed the scars of recession.

In Las Vegas, half-finished housing developments, relics of the housing boom, pockmark the surrounding desert. Families there earn nearly 20 percent less, adjusted for inflation, than in 2007.

In the decade since the recession began, the nation as a whole has staged a heartening comeback: The unemployment rate is at a 17-year low of 4.1 percent, down from 10 percent in 2009. Employers have added jobs for 86 straight months, a record streak. And last year, income for a typical U.S. household, adjusted for inflation, finally regained its 1999 peak.

Yet the rebound has been uneven. It's failed to narrow the country's deep regional economic disparities and in fact has worsened them, according to data analyzed exclusively for The Associated Press. A few cities have grown much richer, thanks to their grip on an outsize share of lucrative tech jobs and soaring home prices. Others have thrived because of surging oil and gas production.

Thanks Obama!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

1 Bitcoin equals
19399.99 US Dollar

lol

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
There was a GBS bitcoin thread when you could buy a gajillion for a dollar

That's my 'one that got away' story holy poo poo

edit: where → when

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 16, 2017

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Accretionist posted:

There was a GBS bitcoin thread where you could buy a gajillion for a dollar

That's my 'one that got away' story holy poo poo

you wouldn't be able to sell them anyway

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

the world has not frozen in time since 2013

you can sell bitcoin for actual money, as an American, fairly easily now

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

You can always sell them on the Magic The Gathering Online eXchange and get dollars that way! It's safe and reliable!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Agronox posted:

the world has not frozen in time since 2013

you can sell bitcoin for actual money, as an American, fairly easily now

but like any commodity it pretty much works by counting on the next wave of suckers to help you cash out on what is a imaginary fictitious asset.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I’m not defending it, it’s $500 billion of malinvestment, literally burning coal to run a lottery

but it’s kinda important to get the facts right. you can withdraw.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/grudging1/status/942131157872803840

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

a reminder this is the doomsday economics thread, not the bitcoin thread

https://twitter.com/RBReich/status/941801290203410432

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Goon Danton posted:

You can always sell them on the Magic The Gathering Online eXchange and get dollars that way! It's safe and reliable!

is that guy still in japan prison

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

a reminder this is the doomsday economics thread, not the bitcoin thread

https://twitter.com/RBReich/status/941801290203410432

lmao at 2001 - 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

lmao at 2001 - 2007

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

thanks obama

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

lmao at 2001 - 2007

at least republicans are refreshingly straightforward about how they want to steal from poor people instead of pretending like they dont democrat-style

it makes it much easier to convince family members that rich people are evil when they dont have a charismatic bill cljnton or barack obama running interference for them

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

its insanely good that republicans only run the evilest rich failson they can find, rather than the most convincing liar

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Best Giraffe posted:

its insanely good that republicans only run the evilest rich failson they can find, rather than the most convincing liar

Speaking of failsons, has anyone seen the movie W by Oliver Stone? Is it worth watching? For some reason seeing that picture of GW and Obama giving a wave made me start thinking about it again.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Speaking of failsons, has anyone seen the movie W by Oliver Stone? Is it worth watching? For some reason seeing that picture of GW and Obama giving a wave made me start thinking about it again.

i liked it

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

it vastly overdoes how stupid he his. dubya is no genius but he's not stupid

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

You'd probably like the ending of it the best if you want the failson aspect of it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
Babies are going to need that poo poo if they're going to grab a feral rabbit with their bare hands for the family to eat in about ten months

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

stone rushed it out so that any attempt at a dubya biopic would, necessarily, be responding to an astonishingly unflattering portrayal that all but completely robs him of agency over his own life. its less "pee pee doo doo, bad man was president" and more "This dude is a child who just grew bigger, physically, and couldn't stand up to people demanding war and blood"

it plays fast and loose with fact in order to preempt liberal rehabilitation of his fuckfail legacy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmwM9EXyczw

its not the best movie but otoh nobody's tried to approach the subject from another direction, so its arguably successful in what stone was attempting to do

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Don't remember if I've introduced this thread to Scott Galloway yet but to anyone who isn't in the know he gave a talk a few years ago which went viral in which he gave a pretty even-handed analysis of the big four tech companies. The jist of it is that in an economy that's growing at 2-3 percent a year any company that's growing faster than that means someone else is shrinking and it's important to look at both the winners and losers to find out what's going on and why. You can see it here it's a pretty good watch.

Anyways over the past two years as he's followed these companies he's been getting progressively angrier and angrier at their behavior and I guess he finally popped and is outright calling for the four horsemen to be broken up. His reasoning is extremely solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NyFRIgulPo

This video starts off with essentially a five minute version of the earlier talk I linked earlier and then pivots into him laying out his case. Essentially he lays out the different ways these companies are all lovely (tax dodging, bullying competitors, destroying jobs) but are lovely in ways that are addressable by public policy and thus aren't good arguments for breaking them up. After that he goes on to make his case as to why they actually should be broken up. It's a good watch.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/942568425448189952

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

Don't remember if I've introduced this thread to Scott Galloway yet but to anyone who isn't in the know he gave a talk a few years ago which went viral in which he gave a pretty even-handed analysis of the big four tech companies. The jist of it is that in an economy that's growing at 2-3 percent a year any company that's growing faster than that means someone else is shrinking and it's important to look at both the winners and losers to find out what's going on and why. You can see it here it's a pretty good watch.

Anyways over the past two years as he's followed these companies he's been getting progressively angrier and angrier at their behavior and I guess he finally popped and is outright calling for the four horsemen to be broken up. His reasoning is extremely solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NyFRIgulPo

This video starts off with essentially a five minute version of the earlier talk I linked earlier and then pivots into him laying out his case. Essentially he lays out the different ways these companies are all lovely (tax dodging, bullying competitors, destroying jobs) but are lovely in ways that are addressable by public policy and thus aren't good arguments for breaking them up. After that he goes on to make his case as to why they actually should be broken up. It's a good watch.

This is good as hell even if I'd quibble with the particulars ("if the New York Times can save us with $100m" lmfao sad)

It seems like there are a lot of folk proximal to tech--particularly facebook but it feels like all the big companies are dealing with backlash--who are "coming out" (always they phrase it in such sexual terms) to talk about the astonishingly forseeable problems with everything tech conglomerates do, desire, and stand for.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Willie Tomg posted:

This is good as hell.

It seems like there are a lot of folk proximal to tech--particularly facebook but it feels like all the big companies are dealing with backlash--who are "coming out" (always they phrase it in such sexual terms) to talk about the astonishingly forseeable problems with everything tech conglomerates do, desire, and stand for.

almost all of the tech companies in my general purview seem to A) be entirely parasitic entities off the big 4 and B) are consolidating or failing at an alarming rate

its getting kind of scary because if you say, are a vendor for multiple clients, they're starting to dry up imo...

like, say for example you're slack. you basically rely on a large ecosystem of clients to stay afloat. if there are more consolidations and failures and not enough new companies propping up, you're going to start losing business because you can't just start charging the fewer companies that exist more and more money, really...

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Willie Tomg posted:

This is good as hell even if I'd quibble with the particulars ("if the New York Times can save us with $100m" lmfao sad)

Yeah I think he's referring to when the nytimes website used to have a really toxic comments section, just like any public comments section, and they actually put in the time and money to have all comments curated for each article. He mentions it every now and then in his youtube channel but if you don't follow him that part could pretty easily fly over people's heads. His point when he brings it up is usually that it IS possible to filter out toxic elements of online communities but the company has to value that over profit. His follow up from that will be to point out the implication that facebook & crew therefore knowingly profit off of toxic communities.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

etalian posted:

lol the recovery after the recession was pretty lopsided for US cities, tech cities like SF/Seattle are doing well while other cities like Las Vegas didn't have the same luck

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/14/decade-since-recession-thriving-cities-leave-others-behind.html

Thanks Obama!

my favorite part of all this is cities like SF, Seattle, and NYC would all be much, much bigger if they actually built loving housing and made investments in their infrastructure.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KaptainKrunk posted:

my favorite part of all this is cities like SF, Seattle, and NYC would all be much, much bigger if they actually built loving housing and made investments in their infrastructure.

yes, but then we would have to tax the wealthy, and *jazz hands* that's not pragmatic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

https://twitter.com/ShadowFart69/status/942621636787703808