Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

somebody buy this man an account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

guys this web service just blows IPChicken.com out of the water

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

weird wsl use case #239 (that just happened to me): want to print on a weird network printer once, don't want to set up a windows driver for this one-off? well, fine, assuming it works with cups just print from wsl instead

it is all a bit dirty-feeling, but the small conveniences line up, and get used a lot more if it is a shell away rather than some clunky vm

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

somebody buy this man an account

so i think the answer to my question is "look busy"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

carry on then posted:

so i think the answer to my question is "look busy"

in the middle of a large and fairly complex infrastructure modernization project, i once walked in on the "director of information systems" at a client, buffing laptops in his office

that's not a euphemism, he was literally buffing laptops with a cloth.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the logo on that dudes website is something

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

uncurable mlady posted:

the logo on that dudes website is something

quote:

By day, I’m a SR. Systems Engineer for a global media business headquartered in Southern California, serving on the front lines of Information Technology in 2017. My career, like a lot of IT Pros, started on the help desk way back in 1999.

By night, I’m an amateur developer, tinkerer and homelab enthusiast with a focus on pushing myself forward in an industry that’s shifting dramatically.

I hold a Master’s Degree in Public Policy, and BA in History. I’m a licensed Amateur Radio operator, a cycling enthusiast and a voracious reader.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
devours descartes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

scientia et labor

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

remember project courier? it's back, in pog form!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

apple: our software and devices work

microsoft: check out this sweet hinge!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
microsoft surface 3ds

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pram posted:

microsoft surface 3ds

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

poor io (with vastly different characteristics for different ops, due to the mapping going on) but native for cpu/memory bandwidth/etc. pretty much

how does this compare to the old POSIX subsystem?

(I got a VT520 from someone who worked on that…)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

infernal machines posted:

in the middle of a large and fairly complex infrastructure modernization project, i once walked in on the "director of information systems" at a client, buffing laptops in his office

that's not a euphemism, he was literally buffing laptops with a cloth.

gotta make ‘em presentable

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eschaton posted:

how does this compare to the old POSIX subsystem?

(I got a VT520 from someone who worked on that…)

never used the posix subsystem so no idea how it panned out in practice, but the surface area of wsl is a lot thinner, in that it just defines a process type with linux-like syscalls, where i believe the posix subsystem had all its own runtime (e.g. some microsoft implementation of libc and all that vs. wsl just having whatever glibc and so on that the version of linux you pick ships with), so i expect that the posix layer was a lot more of a redheaded stepchild in all things including performance profile

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the posix layer in nt existed to defraud the us government, not to do anything useful. it didn't even support network sockets and it couldn't interact with win32 processes in any way.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

the posix layer in nt existed to defraud the us government, not to do anything useful. it didn't even support network sockets and it couldn't interact with win32 processes in any way.

it's great how so many platforms that support "unix sockets" all have slight differences which make writing cross-platform code a pain in the rear end. non-blocking sockets being the big one. weird win32 socket return types being the close runner up.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
microsoft making cross platform apis incompatible :wth:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I mean POSIX has never been about actually making different unixlikes compatible

It's the poor man's open source version of being able to smack "unix certified" or whatever on your pos os

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

I mean POSIX has never been about actually making different unixlikes compatible

It's the poor man's open source version of being able to smack "unix certified" or whatever on your pos os

what’s great about this is that calling it the “open source version” will piss off stallman to no end, since he came up with the name POSIX

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

what’s the fraud? that they sold it as a feature for usgov or were mandated to implement it as some plea deal?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Janitor Prime posted:

what’s the fraud? that they sold it as a feature for usgov or were mandated to implement it as some plea deal?

Wikipedia posted:

This subsystem implements only the POSIX.1 standard — also known as IEEE Std 1003.1-1990 or ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990 — primarily covering the kernel and C library programming interfaces which allowed a program written for other POSIX.1-compliant operating systems to be compiled and run under Windows NT. The Windows NT POSIX subsystem did not provide the interactive user environment parts of POSIX, originally standardized as POSIX.2. That is, Windows NT did not provide a POSIX shell nor any Unix commands like ls. The NT POSIX subsystem also did not provide any of the POSIX extensions that postdated the creation of Windows NT 3.1, such as those for POSIX Threads or POSIX IPC.

The NT POSIX subsystem was included with the first versions of Windows NT because of 1980s US federal government requirements listed in Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) 151-2.[1] Briefly, these documents required that certain types of government purchases be POSIX-compliant, so that if Windows NT had not included this subsystem, computing systems based on it would not have been eligible for some government contracts. Windows NT versions 3.5, 3.51 and 4.0 were certified as compliant with FIPS 151-2.

Not exactly fraud, but definitely meeting the bare-minimum of compliance in bad faith.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
there were two different posix subsystems.

the first was the totally useless, almost fraudulent wrapper added to windows nt 3.5

the second was an outside acquisition: interix / sfu / sua. interix provided a full bsd unix environment and a gcc-compatible wrapper around msvc.exe. it was really fast but not real good on software compatibility, since it retained windows' weird binary formats and tools. from the perspective of ported software, it looked like a really weird 1980s unix

they continued to ship interix / sfu / sua up until very recently. i know server 2012 originally came with sua, but it was removed. i assume to be replaced by wsl.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Grassy Knowles posted:

Not exactly fraud, but definitely meeting the bare-minimum of compliance in bad faith.

it would be impossible to port any actually-existing program. a base posix.1 api is enough to open files, read/write, and close them. and that's about it.

posix.1 / fips 151-2 was only really useful to certify that a given unix wasn't too weird, it was not a complete programming environment in itself.

edit: the fraud would not be insisting they are fips 151-2 compliant, because they were. the fraud would be allowing customers to believe they were comparable to other fips 151-2 products, which they definitely were not. the fips standard was limited by the availability of industry standards, which were in real bad shape circa 1990.

so when a government customer asks for a fips 151-2 compliant package, they want a unix. any unix. on the assumption they can port their unix software to it. if they ended up with windows nt 3.1, everyone is going to Have a Bad Time.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 17, 2017

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there were two different posix subsystems.

the first was the totally useless, almost fraudulent wrapper added to windows nt 3.5

the second was an outside acquisition: interix / sfu / sua. interix provided a full bsd unix environment and a gcc-compatible wrapper around msvc.exe. it was really fast but not real good on software compatibility, since it retained windows' weird binary formats and tools. from the perspective of ported software, it looked like a really weird 1980s unix

they continued to ship interix / sfu / sua up until very recently. i know server 2012 originally came with sua, but it was removed. i assume to be replaced by wsl.

the original POSIX subsystem also used Windows’ weird binary formats and tools, even though it was a peer layer above the NT kernel to the main Windows userspace

so you still had to use MSVC to compile your POSIX.1-compliant code, and unlike the later stuff there was no CC/GCC-compatible wrapper

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/ihateire/status/942479863457382406

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

This will disrupt the whole market and put Microsoft on top of the phone game... or, more likely, shitcanned in 2 years and officially declared dead via Twitter in 4.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

i'm the janky perspective

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

looks like a wallet blade to me

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i'm the lazy as hell use of the fill tool

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

i'm the lazy as hell use of the fill tool

mmmh

that and second portion

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
don't even try to step to the 104

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

syscall girl posted:

don't even try to step to the 104
*steps to the 104*

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

*steps to the 104*

dun hosed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REHTB1Lhmg4

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my windows desktop can no longer stay asleep for more than a minute. powercfg is no help, I've disabled wake timers, and made sure my network card can't wake.

hosed up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's ur mouse. there's an hid driver that fixes that, that should have been installed automatically

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

assuming you've got one of those add-on wireless dongles, pull it and see if that keeps happening

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

my mouse both wakes up the computer from sleep for no reason, and refuses to be awake when the rest of the computer wakes up from sleep so i have to go into device manager and scan for hardware changes

:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

powercfg -wakerequests will usually point you at the driver that is being lovely. I've seen audio stuff do that too