Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So honestly how is 3G? Is it good enough for Netflix?

If I do get this unlimited package I mentioned earlier and end up streaming all the time, I wonder if they'll just cancel my account?

I should probably just check with them when "LTE Advanced" is actually rolling out, though if it's not yet I don't know if I should jump ship to a new plan based on "real soon now, promise!"

odiv fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I will literally hire someone to phone in constantly until they give me the rate reduction or fire me as a customer

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
3g is a technology marker, not really a speed. Telecoms again love to use 3g, 4g, 5g as marketing speak, but it doesn't actually mean anything.

are you in NWT? I checked when their site didn't have a hosed ssl cert and they seemed to cover a couple towns and that was it. If you're within those zones then you'll probably be fine. I'm sure there's something in their TOS that lets them cancel you if they want, but don't go too crazy. It's all smoke and mirrors my friend.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Nitr0 posted:

I also said I would be willing to keep the exact same features I have on my current plan. 33gb shared, unlimited calling texting, but they reduce my bill to the $300 I would be paying if I switched all lines over to $60 per.

They can't do it... because???? Why?

Don't get sucked into telecom double speak, there is no reason we all couldn't stand up for this poo poo and tie up their departments. We just accept it because "it doesn't work in the back end software, the system, the computer"

They put out a promotion, if you like the offer, they are letting you switch to it. I don't believe you should be able to tell a private company how to structure their pricing.
You can't just go into McDonald's and say "I want a big Mac, hold the lettuce. And that lettuce cost you 8 cents, so I want you to reduce the cost by $.08.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oh yeah, nice, they lost the ssl cert. Great confidence builder in your services! Their site was working a couple days ago, I swear.

I might just go in and talk to them tomorrow and get all the small print. $89 is a lot, but if I lose wifi at work, then unlimited would be really good peace of mind. Plus if I have unlimited on my phone I can maybe cut my home Internet down a bit (right now I'm at a 300GB cap and it's expensive).

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
dog do you work for a telecom or a re seller or something?

I thought I explained it quite clearly so I'm not sure why you pull out a mcdonalds analogy like it has any relevance.

I'm not trying to argue I honestly want to know.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
To rephrase your analogy it would be like. Imagine McDonald's had a two big Macs, no lettuce special for $1.50

You can't just go into McDonald's and say "I want one big mac with lettuce for $1.50" Oh. You can't do that? Oh the POS system doesn't let you? That's strange. Is there a manager around? I'm costing you less as a customer if you just give me the $1.50 with one piece of lettuce. OH WELL GUESS IF THE SYSTEM DOESN'T LET YA DO IT :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I mean isn't the sharing a feature you're willing to pay for? Didn't you basically just tell them you don't have an option but to give them more money?

That's not to say we're not all getting fleeced by telephone companies anyway.

odiv fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 16, 2017

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

dog do you work for a telecom or a re seller or something?

I thought I explained it quite clearly so I'm not sure why you pull out a mcdonalds analogy like it has any relevance.

I'm not trying to argue I honestly want to know.

I used to, but that doesn't make me want to defend them. If you want to negotiate with them, go ahead. I just don't think any company should be required to deliver products or services at prices lower then (or more then) advertised.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Is sharing 33gb worth of data vs using 5 * 10gb of data worth $250 per month?

I'm thinking of it from a technical standpoint. I could understand if they don't have a 50gb share plan in the system. Yep, makes sense, sometimes that's just not a thing. So I say ok well I'll take the share plan that I have already but you need to reduce my bill to compensate because you offer 50gb already for this price. They say no. Why? They can offer the service, they can obviously offer more because they are offering it to tom dick and harry. So why?

I would use more of their network if I switch everything to this 1 line 10gb poo poo. Make it $50 more to compensate for the "sharing" if they want. $250 give me a loving break.

No whys? Where's the whys? I need the whys?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I dunno dog, people like you make me really happy because it solidifies my thoughts on my own customers where you can just gently caress people up the rear end and nobody cares except for the select few (like me) that you work around. It really is a poo poo situation and I'm not sure why people defend it. The Canadian way?

I'm going to throw out another situation that's playing out right now.

In the western provinces, Telus is offering you high speed internet (20Mb/s down, 2Mb/s up) but this is only available for certain towns, this is delivered to you via a router that runs of the cell network.

Plans:

$65 - 50gb,
$80 - 250 gb
$110 - 500gb.

This is the exact same technology they are using to deliver your cell phone. So you're telling me you don't feel ripped off by that, just because it's not in "the system?" They don't owe you anything, you should be happy it's there? Why can't I get a $65 50gb plan for my cell phone in the same town.

Why?
WHY?
WHHHHHHHHHHHY?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Data is honestly between zero and one dollar per GB at best, the telecoms can gently caress themselves

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
So is the "data bonus" Rogers is offering just a one shot deal or is it actually 10Gbs/month for $60.

Just wondering if I should give up my grandfathered 6Gb/$60 Rogers plan, with the extra charge for voicemail and taxes it winds up around $80/month usually.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm still waiting for CHATR to eventually kill my "unlimited" data grandfathered plan from mobilicity (actually 6gb, after that throttled) if $60/10gb is now the going rate.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

large hands posted:

So is the "data bonus" Rogers is offering just a one shot deal or is it actually 10Gbs/month for $60.

Just wondering if I should give up my grandfathered 6Gb/$60 Rogers plan, with the extra charge for voicemail and taxes it winds up around $80/month usually.

Based on reading the promotion on Rogers' site, it's a 5gb plan, with a bonus 5gb tagged on for the first 24 months.

I am also on 6gb/$60 with call ID/ visual VM add-on ($8 I think) and an add on to make the 200 mins Canada - wide ($15).

I'm not sure if I should just switch, and live with the fact that I'll be down to 5GB after 2 years, or if I should go to Koodo or Telus, which I understand are offering 10gb as long as you keep the plan.

Coverage with Rogers has always been really good for me. I travel a lot for work, and need to use my phone in the sticks a lot, in areas including the Muskokas, grey Bruce area, and everything in-between. I occasionally lose signal on Rogers, but it's pretty rare, considering how remote the areas I am in sometimes.

The $25/month savings are pretty significant, so I gotta do one or the other. Anyone have experience with the Kodoo / Telus network in rural areas in Ontario?

MarquisDeSade
Jun 25, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I can’t answer how good the network is in rural Ontario but Telus and Bell share their network. So if you know anyone that’s had a Bell phone where you’ll be and they haven’t had any problems then you should be just as good on Telus or Koodo.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Scaramouche posted:

I'm still waiting for CHATR to eventually kill my "unlimited" data grandfathered plan from mobilicity (actually 6gb, after that throttled) if $60/10gb is now the going rate.

They already raised me up to $35/mo from $30.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I got on the 10GB plan with Koodo. Yup it’s forever not 24mo bonus. And the plan is still eligible for tab small and tab medium if you use that. But you have to have tab 0 when you switch to it. You can pay it off to switch to it though.

Took me about an hour to get to a CSR. He said new activations only. I said transfer me to retention. He said let’s see what we can do...

Telus has VoLTE and Wifi Calling. Koodo has international text and mms.

It’s a good deal guys. Dunno why you’d go why Rogers or Fido when Telus and Koodo are permanent.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Did anyone give you grief for being on the SK plan? I'm thinking of doing it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Housh posted:

Did anyone give you grief for being on the SK plan? I'm thinking of doing it.

Nope

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
BestBuy is sending this out now via email so all the carriers should honour it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I went as far as about parry sound and Bancroft surrounding areas with both Telus and Rogers phones, reception is very similar in populated areas. Once you’re in the boonies it depends on where the towers are. Sometimes full connections would time out or requests would take a while but that is just how it is. If you are in specific locations you can ask people you work with or alongside about coverage as it’s hard to say.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
I switched over on Virgin from a previous BYOP plan but they wouldn’t let my wife. They said the 10GB deal is for loyalty members only and you have to have been a member for 6 months. She’s only been with them for 5.5 months so they wouldn’t do it. Even retentions said it’s not possible.

He said wait for Boxing Day, there will be good deals again then although I doubt they’ll be as good as this one.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Switch her to Koodo it’s the same network

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

I went as far as about parry sound and Bancroft surrounding areas with both Telus and Rogers phones, reception is very similar in populated areas. Once you’re in the boonies it depends on where the towers are. Sometimes full connections would time out or requests would take a while but that is just how it is. If you are in specific locations you can ask people you work with or alongside about coverage as it’s hard to say.

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I go to different properties everyday, so I can't inquire about any place specific. I was just wondering if there was any large swaths of land where Telus network couldn't get coverage, but Rogers could. Sounds like it's about the same, so that's good.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Pivo posted:

I got on the 10GB plan with Koodo. Yup it’s forever not 24mo bonus. And the plan is still eligible for tab small and tab medium if you use that. But you have to have tab 0 when you switch to it. You can pay it off to switch to it though.

Took me about an hour to get to a CSR. He said new activations only. I said transfer me to retention. He said let’s see what we can do...

Telus has VoLTE and Wifi Calling. Koodo has international text and mms.

It’s a good deal guys. Dunno why you’d go why Rogers or Fido when Telus and Koodo are permanent.

Welp I thought all of them had the 24 month bonus ending. I guess I have to go back to the mall to switch from fido to koodo.

So koodo is Telus and it's a decent network? I'm was just getting used to fido when I switched from virgin.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Chillyrabbit posted:

Welp I thought all of them had the 24 month bonus ending. I guess I have to go back to the mall to switch from fido to koodo.

So koodo is Telus and it's a decent network? I'm was just getting used to fido when I switched from virgin.

Virgin (Bell) and Koodo (Telus) share towers country wide, the same reception

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Risky Bisquick posted:

Virgin (Bell) and Koodo (Telus) share towers country wide, the same reception

Well coin toss time, any reason to pick one or the other? Like I've been seeing something about a koodo referral code anyone have one?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Besides the whole "all the big 3 are garbage blah blah blah" disclaimer etc. etc. I would still avoid Bell/Virgin like the absolute loving plague.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

WienerDog posted:

Based on reading the promotion on Rogers' site, it's a 5gb plan, with a bonus 5gb tagged on for the first 24 months.

I am also on 6gb/$60 with call ID/ visual VM add-on ($8 I think) and an add on to make the 200 mins Canada - wide ($15).

I'm not sure if I should just switch, and live with the fact that I'll be down to 5GB after 2 years, or if I should go to Koodo or Telus, which I understand are offering 10gb as long as you keep the plan.

Coverage with Rogers has always been really good for me. I travel a lot for work, and need to use my phone in the sticks a lot, in areas including the Muskokas, grey Bruce area, and everything in-between. I occasionally lose signal on Rogers, but it's pretty rare, considering how remote the areas I am in sometimes.

The $25/month savings are pretty significant, so I gotta do one or the other. Anyone have experience with the Kodoo / Telus network in rural areas in Ontario?

Rogers has dropped the 5+5 wording, it's now straight up 10GB forever, same with the other cell companies.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Wirth1000 posted:

Besides the whole "all the big 3 are garbage blah blah blah" disclaimer etc. etc. I would still avoid Bell/Virgin like the absolute loving plague.

K well might as well give Telus/Koodo a try. Thanks for deciding that coin flip.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Chillyrabbit posted:

K well might as well give Telus/Koodo a try. Thanks for deciding that coin flip.

Nah, better to go with that scrappy new upstart Lucky Mobile. Support the little guy, you know?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

shadow puppet of a posted:

Nah, better to go with that scrappy new upstart Lucky Mobile. Support the little guy, you know?

There’s nothing little about lucky, it’s a bell flanker brand.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Frank Dillinger posted:

There’s nothing little about lucky, it’s a bell flanker brand.

:thejoke:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

shadow puppet of a posted:

Nah, better to go with that scrappy new upstart We-Think-All-Of-Our-Customers-Are-Retards Mobile. Support the little guy, you know?

Pretty much works for all the telecoms in this country.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Canadian Cellular: We Think All of Our Customers Are Retards

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Well just switched plans online with Rogers. Their site was getting hammered but it went through. Now I'm paying 60 for 10gbs instead of 65 for 6gbs +$10 for their shittiest voicemail addon. Woot

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Approaching the one hour mark on hold with Koodo. gently caress Canadian telecom.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

BGrifter posted:

Approaching the one hour mark on hold with Koodo. gently caress Canadian telecom.

Some people on RFD yesterday were saying it took them 2-3 hours total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Imagine living in a country where reasonable phone plans are available for more than word-of-mouth 3 day bursts once per year.

Oh, and where that 3 days isn't offered to you with a dagger of Damocles-like threat that if they get too many customers they'll shut it all down because us cretins don't deserve something as generous a 4th consecutive day of fairly decent rates.

Again, imagine.