Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
Which is the sword to upgrade for endless orbs during strikes? Complex Solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
Any openings in the goon clan on PS4? So lonely :(

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Here are some Curse of Osiris Spoilers: Osiris and Ikora are brother and sister!!!!

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

tqilamknbrd posted:

Which is the sword to upgrade for endless orbs during strikes? Complex Solution?

Or Crown-Splitter

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

tqilamknbrd posted:

Is It Stared Back not the favorite sword anymore?

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Here are some Curse of Osiris Spoilers: Osiris and Ikora are brother and sister!!!!

they inherited the same speech patterns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_BU5hR9gXE

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

poor life choice posted:

Is It Stared Back not the favorite sword anymore?

they nerfed the r2 uppercut, it doesn't give ammo back any more, only the light swings

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

git gud

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Mazerunner posted:

they nerfed the r2 uppercut, it doesn't give ammo back any more, only the light swings

Across the board?

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
The Colony is my new favorite toy in trials this week.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

el B posted:

The Colony is my new favorite toy in trials this week.

Trials is very colon-y

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Milosh posted:

Any openings in the goon clan on PS4? So lonely :(

Come join the Boat Drivin Space Moanas

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a trick or best method for getting masterwork cores? I've done the patrols/pvp/clan/strikes milestones on all 3 characters and have gotten 3 masterworks weapons which dismantled into 4 cores.

Who here had 15 masterwork cores already and how the hell did you get that many so quickly?

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Osiris and his cult were mishandled. The mystique has been completely destroyed, and it didn't need to be

Before Curse of Osiris, I had this mental image of Osiris as this guardian radiating with blinding Light, and speaking in riddles about the unimaginable things he has seen. I thought he must be a great leader with an inspiring vision to amass such a following. I thought of his cult as those privy to a great truth about the nature of the Light, and transcend what it means to be a guardian (back in the Destiny 1 Vestian Outpost, I remember Brother Vance saying he was once a warlock before joining Osiris). I remember Parables of the Allspring and Fractal Scrolls speaking of the sun dissolving one's body and letting one's soul flow with the river of time, suggesting the Cult of Osiris, or Osiris himself, has achieved higher levels of consciousness connected to all of time.

With Curse of Osiris, it's revealed that Osiris is not some transcendent guardian glowing with Light or "flowing with the river of time" for higher dimensional perceptions of reality, and he's not some great leader either (he doesn't even interact with his followers). Osiris is pretty much just like any other guardian, except he has a big reputation, and he knows how to work a big Vex simulation machine. He doesn't come off as someone with eons of wisdom and experience from being within the Vex space-time networks and simulations, but just some dude with a vague accent.

Brother Vance (and the cult) no longer seems like someone that has been enlightened to a great truth, but just a blind fanboy (see what I did there? lol) idolizing a man he's never even met. He has been made into a goofy caricature, and there are no signs of any great knowledge. On top of that, the lore of the Progeny scout rifle reveals that contrary to the dialogue in Destiny 1, Brother Vance never was a guardian.

I hate it. I really, REALLY hate it. Not just because these once interesting characters weren't handled well, but also because of what it means for other aspects of the lore. For example, will The Nine turn out to be just nine regular dudes and ladies sitting on a couch and drinking beers? Will Xur turn out to be just some guy wearing a mask?

I get that not seeing something or someone leads to imagining what that they might be like, and what one imagines is often just more exciting than what creators actually intended, but what I imagined was not unfounded or unreasonable. "Ghost Fragment: The Queen 2" Grimoire where Osiris and Eris Morn are implied to be meeting with the Queen Mara Sov suggests that his Light is very strong and blinding, and there are mentions of warlocks connected to Osiris that don't cast shadows (perhaps because they are so bright) in the "Osiris" Grimoire. It was because of the prophetic "Visions" card that I expected Osiris to speak and be a certain way. Even if my idea of Osiris was unfounded, it doesn't excuse turning Brother Vance into a joke.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

hitchensgoespop posted:

Osiris and his cult were mishandled. The mystique has been completely destroyed, and it didn't need to be

Before Curse of Osiris, I had this mental image of Osiris as this guardian radiating with blinding Light, and speaking in riddles about the unimaginable things he has seen. I thought he must be a great leader with an inspiring vision to amass such a following. I thought of his cult as those privy to a great truth about the nature of the Light, and transcend what it means to be a guardian (back in the Destiny 1 Vestian Outpost, I remember Brother Vance saying he was once a warlock before joining Osiris). I remember Parables of the Allspring and Fractal Scrolls speaking of the sun dissolving one's body and letting one's soul flow with the river of time, suggesting the Cult of Osiris, or Osiris himself, has achieved higher levels of consciousness connected to all of time.

With Curse of Osiris, it's revealed that Osiris is not some transcendent guardian glowing with Light or "flowing with the river of time" for higher dimensional perceptions of reality, and he's not some great leader either (he doesn't even interact with his followers). Osiris is pretty much just like any other guardian, except he has a big reputation, and he knows how to work a big Vex simulation machine. He doesn't come off as someone with eons of wisdom and experience from being within the Vex space-time networks and simulations, but just some dude with a vague accent.

Brother Vance (and the cult) no longer seems like someone that has been enlightened to a great truth, but just a blind fanboy (see what I did there? lol) idolizing a man he's never even met. He has been made into a goofy caricature, and there are no signs of any great knowledge. On top of that, the lore of the Progeny scout rifle reveals that contrary to the dialogue in Destiny 1, Brother Vance never was a guardian.

I hate it. I really, REALLY hate it. Not just because these once interesting characters weren't handled well, but also because of what it means for other aspects of the lore. For example, will The Nine turn out to be just nine regular dudes and ladies sitting on a couch and drinking beers? Will Xur turn out to be just some guy wearing a mask?

I get that not seeing something or someone leads to imagining what that they might be like, and what one imagines is often just more exciting than what creators actually intended, but what I imagined was not unfounded or unreasonable. "Ghost Fragment: The Queen 2" Grimoire where Osiris and Eris Morn are implied to be meeting with the Queen Mara Sov suggests that his Light is very strong and blinding, and there are mentions of warlocks connected to Osiris that don't cast shadows (perhaps because they are so bright) in the "Osiris" Grimoire. It was because of the prophetic "Visions" card that I expected Osiris to speak and be a certain way. Even if my idea of Osiris was unfounded, it doesn't excuse turning Brother Vance into a joke.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Well, the game handwaves it away with Sagira basically going 'look everything you've heard is bullshit people have been making up because he's old and weird" which, yeah, is kinda lame.

I think the current story is suffering from cutbacks they've been making on it for...some reason. Like the Exo Stranger and The Darkness just not existing anymore.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Vance is awesome. "Do like me and listen to the little Osiris voice in your head!"

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Took getting rid of 9 masterworks, but I finally made my origin story. Got handling, so I'm rerolling that later, after I get the number mw'd

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I masterworked the positive outlook but I can't get an energy weapon reloader mod no matter what it's fuckin hopeless

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

The fractal butthole of a radiolarian lake!

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

moist turtleneck posted:

I masterworked the positive outlook but I can't get an energy weapon reloader mod no matter what it's fuckin hopeless

I'm torn between this and Uriel's.

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014

Balthesar posted:

Is there a trick or best method for getting masterwork cores? I've done the patrols/pvp/clan/strikes milestones on all 3 characters and have gotten 3 masterworks weapons which dismantled into 4 cores.

Who here had 15 masterwork cores already and how the hell did you get that many so quickly?

Saved about 2k tokens/gunsmith mats until masterwork weapons were available [got uriels and 17 cores worth of masterwork weapons]. Tbh if you didn't do something similar the grind will be real

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

hitchensgoespop posted:

Agreed. I never played D1, but slowly worked through the whole Grimoire and was... underwhelmed.

I suppose they wanted Osiris to be approachable, something guardians could aspire to, but they hosed up.

Make him truly be a wise prophet transcending the bounds even of what Guardians call humanity and STILL make him something to aspire to. Add new class quests where we can touch the paracausal forces that give him the gift of prophecy. Imply how continued, intentional exposure eroded his humanity and made him something more.

And Vance reads by holding his hands over a book: he has loving space magic, why make him a joke?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
All D2 story related things save the Calus lore are loving laughably bad and lame, for all the promise of a better narrative the only thing it has going for it at any level is a minimum amount of coherence. It’s dreck.

The Calus lore is of course hidden away and not really brought to the front, even in the raid.

Thank god they made strikes relevant again and added masterworks.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm sorry you hate fun and don't find Vance super Fanboy hilarious

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Also yes I love the Calus love story

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Norns posted:

I'm sorry you hate fun and don't find Vance super Fanboy hilarious

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Vance the Osiris stan is hilarious but that doesn't mean its good writing

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Like ABGD said. Destiny's "good" writing is all stuff you have to dig deeper for.

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
osiris is just a man with a plan, and i am just a man with a tan

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Balthesar posted:

I won a single trials match, turned in around 600 tokens to the bottom level vendor lady, and walked away with 30 cores.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Trials and raid gear has a much higher chance to drop as masterwork, it’s the new etheric light.

I’ve put around a grand into the gunsmith, still almost nothing but Lincoln’s green that turn into 1 core each

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
osiris: *shouting* *pieces of garbage falling from mouth* *fart noises*

me: sup

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flytrap posted:

Well, the game handwaves it away with Sagira basically going 'look everything you've heard is bullshit people have been making up because he's old and weird" which, yeah, is kinda lame.

I think the current story is suffering from cutbacks they've been making on it for...some reason. Like the Exo Stranger and The Darkness just not existing anymore.

Destiny 2 seems to have a theme of Guardians in truth being underwhelming and kind of lovely except you (and Shaxx). They made the poor life choice of going nowhere for too long, Ghaul calls them out as lovely wimps who only get anywhere by being immortal/constantly respawning, Zavala is the worst planner in the universe with the genius plan of going to the moon right next door to the demon alien megabase, Ikora instantly gives up and leaves, Cayde immediately gets himself trapped, and you're one of the few Guardians who manages to not get murdered despite still having super armor and electromachineguns and rockets that explode into homing rockets, instead just having broken trash because you got kicked off a spaceship. Even Hawthorne calls them out for being colossal babies about being lightless; it's not like she ever had any and she's doing okay.

Retcons about all the cool poo poo aside (which sucks a lot they really should put that stuff back in), it's one of the game's central ideas. Guardians suck.

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
osiris: *claims to see into future, can't kill a couple adds*

me: *can actually see future*
https://i.imgur.com/NQGhzuq.gifv

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'm regretting this nameless midnight masterwork because it makes me forget about energy slot so I run out of ammo all the time

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Looking at the Return on Investment on those token things you can buy from Shaxx to give everyone 5 extra crucible tokens, they are really not worth it.

wintrrmute
Jul 28, 2002

(Borat voice) "MAH WIFE!"
(sung to Brandy and Monica's "The Boy is Mine")

the game is bad
the game is bad
the game is bad
the
game
is
bad

https://gfycat.com/onlyglumdwarfrabbit

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Anora posted:

Looking at the Return on Investment on those token things you can buy from Shaxx to give everyone 5 extra crucible tokens, they are really not worth it.

they're fun and nice and sometimes you get more than 5 tokens and what else are you spending shards on anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

wintrrmute posted:

(sung to Brandy and Monica's "The Boy is Mine")

the game is bad
the game is bad
the game is bad
the
game
is
bad

https://gfycat.com/onlyglumdwarfrabbit

:dance: