Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1225716710

By default children are born at age 15 so they're basically just more colonists, but there's an option to change their start age and it goes aaaaaaaaaaaaall the way down to zero, which I thought I'd try :v:

They age 1 year per colony year, yes. So, given that I tend to retire colonies around 10 years on they will probably never grow up :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I had used the children/pregnancy mod in A17 and it got kind of annoying dealing with the kids because they're all but useless. Also, depressing, because after a while you'd get pirate and tribal raids made up of easily half children. Easy to defeat, but uh, lots of dead kids.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yikes. If I see that yeah I'll probably roll a new colony without that mod, interesting as it is.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Tias posted:

So I got into this again - and it seems that survival ration production is essential to getting longer caravans going! However, I set up a nutripaste unit+hoppers, and even though my characters often put food in the hoppers, no nutripaste comes out - at least, it's placed nowhere I can see it.

How do I get nutripaste out and stored, so I can turn it into survival meals?

Survival meals are made from regular ingredients at the stove like any other meal. Nutripaste is just a research prerequisite, it's not part of the actual crafting. Survival meals use a ton of food though so keep an eye on your stocks.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Yikes. If I see that yeah I'll probably roll a new colony without that mod, interesting as it is.

Skipping that mod, grooming a half dead child into a colonist isn't canon.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I like pemmican for long caravans, because IIRC it doesn't spoil for over a year. If you have Medieval Times, you can also make jerked meats but it's pretty food intensive.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

That's an extremely anime mod list

...I just got this game minutes ago and haven't booted it up yet! Anything egregiously stupid that needs fixing, or am I cool to load it up and start playing?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

wit posted:

Skipping that mod, grooming a half dead child into a colonist isn't canon.

Well one thing bundled with it is teaching, as in you can set up a teacher and students and have them attend classes to train skills, which is pretty interesting for later colonies.

John Lee posted:

...I just got this game minutes ago and haven't booted it up yet! Anything egregiously stupid that needs fixing, or am I cool to load it up and start playing?

Try it vanilla for a while and then imo go hog wild and try whatever looks even slightly interesting.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Are there any mods that increase the variety of faction colors on the map? Its really annoying trying to tell three different tribes apart when all of them are a variation of "very light blue or very light green".

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

I decided to fiddle about the tutorial, and it told me to randomize a character.

Zero Tachikoma, AKA "Maker." The team's Q, his harsh attitude ensures his status as the least-liked member. He acts more like a grizzled veteran than the mad scientist he is at heart, always ready to rush into combat even with his disabled right arm.

...Is there a way to save these character profiles?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Prepare Carefully, although it is very tempting to just edit flawless ubercharacters.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=735106432

wit
Jul 26, 2011

John Lee posted:

Yeah stack merger makes them tidy up storage piles, the realistic rooms mod makes it so colonists dont get angry that their normal apartment sized room isn't a cathedral. IMO the rest are salt to your own taste. Don't add anything more from my shame list because the game is 2D but deep as the Mariana trench. If you don't love it you'll shelf it immediately, if you do you'll spend waking hours thinking about it.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

I'll remake the ripped-from-my-japanese-animes Zero Tachikoma later, then. For now, let's see how he does in the tutorial.

wit posted:

If you don't love it you'll shelf it immediately, if you do you'll spend waking hours thinking about it.

I've already played hundreds of hours of Dwarf Fortress, so care to place any bets?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Prepare Carefully, although it is very tempting to just edit flawless ubercharacters.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=735106432

^^^^

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
That's one of those mods that runs so wildly counter to the spirit of what makes Rimworld fun for me I never even dreamed of trying it. Hell, I feel bad even using the vanilla reroll button.

Of course, if you're using it to generate a bunch of psychopathic drug addicted cannibals, that's a different story.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I use it only to remove clothes off my starting tribals. I like piss poor starts.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I use it to save characters that I've rerolled and wanted. Technically its still in the spirit of the game, I just didn't smash reroll for an hour

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Toadsmash posted:

That's one of those mods that runs so wildly counter to the spirit of what makes Rimworld fun for me I never even dreamed of trying it. Hell, I feel bad even using the vanilla reroll button.

Of course, if you're using it to generate a bunch of psychopathic drug addicted cannibals, that's a different story.

Psychopathic cannibals are like the most power-gamey characters you can create though. "Oh no!, I don't have to care about 90% of things that make colonist mood management difficult. How zany!"

What I'm saying is that the true way to make Rimworld cannibal colony is to take bunch of ordinary colonists, make them eat human corpses and then force-feed them enough heroin so they don't care. :colbert:

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Toadsmash posted:

I dunno. I certainly never make the A-Team. (note to self: actually make the actual A-Team). You'd be surprised how shafted even the best rolls become in this game. I rolled until I got an excellent grower, doctor and construction man. 6 months in alpha beavers took his arm and his eye. For money they needed an artist, so sorta rescue/kidnapped one since building died. Except she was a pyro and constantly having mental breakdowns because she was jealous too. The finest artist ever, except the doctor, also the only one good at melee would brain her once a month. eventually from her injuries needing tended and the high price her art sold we got him eyes and an arm and by then doc knew how to put them in.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lt. Lizard posted:

Psychopathic cannibals are like the most power-gamey characters you can create though. "Oh no!, I don't have to care about 90% of things that make colonist mood management difficult. How zany!"

What I'm saying is that the true way to make Rimworld cannibal colony is to take bunch of ordinary colonists, make them eat human corpses and then force-feed them enough heroin so they don't care. :colbert:

I actually hate psychopaths because their complete lack of ability to gain relationships means that they tend to end up hating everyone and becoming huge liabilities.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I usually start with five or six well stat'd dudes, and usually only end up recruiting one or two people in a game, and only if they're real good or I need haulers. The early game is the least fun part to me so I try to speed it up from the get go.

Also seconding the Psychopaths are boring thing, I think I said it before but I wish that Nyarlathotep spell turned them into cannibals first, and psychopaths second. I almost always have everyone's moods full so I can harvest with impunity and still have everyone be friends :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Toadsmash posted:

if incapable of dumb labor weren't a thing i would probably feel similarly to you

but after the 3rd game where i dropped down to the planet and the game was a total nonstarter because of 2 morons being unwilling to cut down a loving tree or haul, i started rolling PC just so i could not deal with that nonsense.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Kanos posted:

I actually hate psychopaths because their complete lack of ability to gain relationships means that they tend to end up hating everyone and becoming huge liabilities.

Is there anything you can do when two pawns, I dunno, were in rival tribes or something and just hate each other with a passion? I haven't seen anything no matter how tangential you can do when two pawns just can't stand each other except isolating them from each other as much as possible. All that does is stop things getting worse.

Rimworld needs group therapy sessions apparently.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

no, there's really nothing you can do. the intra-colony portion of the game is definitely the one that needs the most work.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
It's a pain in the rear end, but you could assign each of them completely separate areas of the map so there's no risk of them ever interacting.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If you have EPOE you can replace their jaws with silent ones that make them incapable of talking

I don't have any useful solutions but I have tons of hosed up ones

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Danaru posted:

If you have EPOE you can replace their jaws with silent ones that make them incapable of talking

I don't have any useful solutions but I have tons of hosed up ones

why replace? just remove...

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

They spend like 3 hours eating without a jaw. Also they get a disfigured minus from the other colonists.

If colonists aren’t compatible I’ve only figured out three things - put them on different shifts to minimize interaction, build their crafting stations they usually use in different spots to minimize interaction, or get rid of one.

I guess the fourth is ignore it and deal with the social fighting, but that means downtime. In a young or low-pop colony that’s not really acceptable though.

I’ve been making adrenaline ribs to stick in my colonists, which means I’ve got Yayo laying around. Well, one dude decides to go on a Yayo binge and starts overdosing. He stumbles away from the stockpile and I get one of my best social pawns to try and arrest him to keep him from taking another hit and dying and get three others to stand guard on the stockpile.

Tweaker suddenly makes a sprint for the stockpile, his buddy trailing behind trying to get him to stop.

6 tiles before he gets to the Yayo he gets stopped by his buddy, but flips his poo poo that his buddy wants to keep him from the Yayo, so I have the three colonists dart around the corner and everyone jumps on tweaker. Amazingly he gets downed rather than dead and only lost a toe and finger. He’s my level 16 cook, don’t kill yourself Jon!

I’ve been doing some caravans using only bionically enhanced colonists and currently saving up to buy animal bionic legs to kit out some muffalo or camels to make speedy caravans. When everyone is 160% moving caravans aren’t nearly as bad... and the last one got ambushed three times! Brought back 7 prisoners from all those battles (set a bunch free, no drop pods and food was running low).

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

HelloSailorSign posted:

animal bionic legs

I need to know how this happens because now I want a herd of bionic pack muffalo badly.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

I need to know how this happens because now I want a herd of bionic pack muffalo badly.

A Dog Said is the mod I think.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Trogdos! posted:

I use it only to remove clothes off my starting tribals. I like piss poor starts.

Leal posted:

I use it to save characters that I've rerolled and wanted. Technically its still in the spirit of the game, I just didn't smash reroll for an hour

Yeah these are what I usually do with Prepare Carefully as well. If you want "everyone has psychopath/cannibal" you don't actually need Prepare Carefully for that, the vanilla scenario editor is very powerful and flexible in that sense.

Kanos posted:

This is really true, and also they end up pretty dull to watch.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

a couple of bad relationships aren't hard to deal with; as said before, simply making them work different shifts is the primary tool to use. even just working staggered shifts by 2 hours or so helps A LOT, since most slights are levered in passing or during maintenance times (like eating, Joy, etc).

multiple bad relationships gets very complicated, however, and god help you if your colony turns into a factional arrangement where there are a couple groups of dorks who mutually hate each other. it's such a painful experience. i'm only ever able to truly resolve it by just throwing one faction into cryptosleep caskets (because i'm too much of a softie to banish people, usually)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Keziah, an animal trainer, became so distraught over the death of her son that she withdrew and became anti-social. This in turn made her bonded animals very unhappy, and one of them killed the colony firstborn :smith:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

First time playing in almost a year. Decided to give a Boreal map a go, but nothing too hard. Three Quadrums pst almost and things are doing well enough. Just completed a big expansion, nearly doubling the size of the base.

Just kinda teching up to guns so I can start building some (if only to keep Comrade busy, great crafter, but no dumb labor :argh:), haven't managed to get my hands on anything but the starter pair so far. All raiders, pirate and tribal have been all melee affairs. Maybe I need to bump the difficulty up from Some Challenge to Rough.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It feels like there is very little difference between Rough and Some Challenge with respect to number of raiders and how they're geared, I know it's supposed to matter but it really doesn't feel that way in practice.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Play Report: Coming of off Dwarf Fortress, it seems really weird to have to worry about some tiny resources and not others. Like, I have to worry about the amount of wood I need to make a torch, but not the resources I'm using on ammo, or the seeds I use to plant a farm.

Other than that, though, it all went well! I was progressing slowly but surely, with my team of Scientist-Farmer-Doctor, but I made the decision to save a naked scientist named Monkey from raiders, and six-to-eight armed dudes showed up. I was not prepared for that many, and my colony was crushed easily. Too bad! I'll give it another shot, though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There's a mod for seeds, it's very popular:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=935732834

In fact hell I'm gonna try it.

e: Hunt For Me mod updated:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1234154296

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 17, 2017

wit
Jul 26, 2011

John Lee posted:

Play Report: Coming of off Dwarf Fortress, it seems really weird to have to worry about some tiny resources and not others. Like, I have to worry about the amount of wood I need to make a torch, but not the resources I'm using on ammo, or the seeds I use to plant a farm.

Other than that, though, it all went well! I was progressing slowly but surely, with my team of Scientist-Farmer-Doctor, but I made the decision to save a naked scientist named Monkey from raiders, and six-to-eight armed dudes showed up. I was not prepared for that many, and my colony was crushed easily. Too bad! I'll give it another shot, though.

The only thing worse is when everyone except the person you rescue dies and you're stuck with a dud and resent them living. One game the leader of the pirate faction came to my colony asking for refuge. Everyone managed to hobble back half dead with him the only one in good condition. I was at first stoked because I'd never had a big name guy in a colony before. No wonder they were trying to kill him, he was loving useless at everything except social and shooting. Everyone died except him.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
I upped the ancient danger rates, and now nearly every rando encounter map has one.

Cracked one open last night where every person in a casket had one or more really good bionics, and none survived. Is there a way to harvest bionics from corpses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Not in the vanilla game but as usual, there is a mod for that

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1204502413

e: in fact I like how that mod works, I'm gonna try it too!