Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Got my hosed up Handre art bezel printed from https://www.gameongrafix.com/ , turned out just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kid Fenris posted:

It's the eighth or ninth best fighting game on Game Boy!
1) Battle Arena Toshinden
2) Battle Arena Toshinden

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Kid Fenris posted:

It's the eighth or ninth best fighting game on Game Boy!

But yeah, the PS2/arcade one by Arc System Works is pretty good.

I saw a JP tournament for the arcade game (which is on Atomiswave hardware, IIRC) on Twitch a while back and it was absolutely insane.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

1) Battle Arena Toshinden
2) Battle Arena Toshinden

Obviously the Mortal Kombat games are best played in four colors with two buttons.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

falz posted:

Got my hosed up Handre art bezel printed from https://www.gameongrafix.com/ , turned out just fine.

This owns and gently caress yes Pulstar :respek:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

falz posted:

:swoon:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Has anyone posted this Polygon article about the menus and settings for the Analogue Super NT? The Super NT interface is as beautiful as its hardware.

They start off gushing about the boot screen they got Phil Fish to design (:rolleyes:). After that they get into the menus and graphic modes. Some nice touches like the ability to boost the gamma while using scan lines and a blending mode to make faux transparencies work.

Analogue can get a bit fussy with their products but this FPGA SNES is shaping up well. I just hope build quality and availability are up to snuff.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
In local craigslist news, after sifting through hundreds of modded PSPs and SNES classics, found this guy that's selling...

large numbers of sealed PC games?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sir Tonk posted:

In local craigslist news, after sifting through hundreds of modded PSPs and SNES classics, found this guy that's selling...

How much does he want for the dark reign and sin boxes? Because I'm honestly interested in those....

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Have any of you got that pre-loaded Sega Genesis? I've heard really mixed reviews...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
ScummVM 2.0 is out. It adds support for the following:

Cranston Manor
Full Pipe
Gabriel Knight
Gabriel Knight 2
King's Quest VII
King's Questions
Leisure Suit Larry 6 (hi-res)
Leisure Suit Larry 7
Lighthouse
Mixed-Up Mother Goose Deluxe
Phantasmagoria
Phantasmagoria 2
Plumbers Don't Wear Ties
Police Quest 4
RAMA
Riven: The Sequel to Myst
Shivers
Space Quest 6
Starship Titanic
The Dark Crystal
Time Zone
Torin's Passage
Ulysses and the Golden Fleece

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Have any of you got that pre-loaded Sega Genesis? I've heard really mixed reviews...

You're going to have to be more specific, Sega has been licensing their stuff for years now into pre-loaded systems and most of them are by AtGames and absolutely terrible.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

fishmech posted:

How much does he want for the dark reign and sin boxes? Because I'm honestly interested in those....

https://houston.craigslist.org/search/vga?query=pc+lot&hasPic=1

He doesn't list prices, of course, but here's all the listings.

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The one that is named "Flashback HD" is less awful then the first revision (still awful though). Better off buying a Snes Classic and modding it with 8- and 16-bit games.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s great that Nintendo currently makes the best Genesis you can buy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

That is a man with generally very terrible tastes who occasionally got something decent.

(Yes, I own every single one of those except the three licensed games. :negative:)

The Kins posted:

Phantasmagoria
[...]
Time Zone

I just wanted to point out the absurdity of the update adding an FMV driven game and a text adventure.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 17, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I am glad Analogue finally ditched that horrible case design and made something that looks like what it's supposed to be. The NT/NT mini had none of the charm of either the NES or Famicom and instead looked like a cold, abstract thing for people too embarrassed to be seen with a retro console. I even argued with the creators on another forum that this was limiting their sales because the look of the NES was a big part of the nostalgia, they basically blew me off and said their designer's taste was impeccable, extremely arrogant. I guess it took the NES mini and SNES mini for them to realize the potential of a cute looking retro console that resembles what it's trying to be. Despite how I feel about the people who market it (~reference quality!~), the Super NT looks a genuinely good product all around.

d0s fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 17, 2017

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Random Stranger posted:

That is a man with generally very terrible tastes who occasionally got something decent.

(Yes, I own every single one of those except the three licensed games. :negative:)

I just wanted to point out the absurdity of the update adding an FMV driven game and a text adventure.

Needed to highlight the absurdity of plumbers dont wear ties.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

Needed to highlight the absurdity of plumbers dont wear ties.

There's no need to highlight that. Everyone is already away of its inherent absurdity.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

d0s posted:

I am glad Analogue finally ditched that horrible case design and made something that looks like what it's supposed to be. The NT/NT mini had none of the charm of either the NES or Famicom and instead looked like a cold, abstract thing for people too embarrassed to be seen with a retro console. I even argued with the creators on another forum that this was limiting their sales because the look of the NES was a big part of the nostalgia, they basically blew me off and said their designer's taste was impeccable, extremely arrogant. I guess it took the NES mini and SNES mini for them to realize the potential of a cute looking retro console that resembles what it's trying to be. Despite how I feel about the people who market it (~reference quality!~), the Super NT looks a genuinely good product all around.

When you're charging $500, you're selling to people that could have a Kevtris modded original NES already. The tasteful aluminum look probably tested better with the people in that price range.

It's also why I like the AVS more. Keeping the original power and reset buttons and color scheme was a great choice and evokes the original, while still being different. I'm amazed Analogue didn't offer a Famicom/NES color scheme for the NT like they are with the SNES one. It's not like they're selling thousands of the $500 one and it would be some huge problem. They're already charging $50 for a black paint-job.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Speaking of the Super NT, it has a cool interface: https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/15/16780526/super-nt-interface-ux-phil-fish

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

regarding the interface I was about to say something but looked at the comments on that page and somebody said exactly what I was going to:

The SWCDX's interface was perfect and every piracy tool since has let me down. They had scene guys do it and it was so fun to customize, just felt exactly like a Magical Piracy Tool should. I think the NT's interface is too minimalist and "hip" but that's how I feel about analogue in general, there's no "scene" in anything they do. I think the SD2SNES has the right idea

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I have one of those super nintendo disk copiers, maybe I should get it out and make a post about it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

d0s posted:

regarding the interface I was about to say something but looked at the comments on that page and somebody said exactly what I was going to:

The SWCDX's interface was perfect and every piracy tool since has let me down. They had scene guys do it and it was so fun to customize, just felt exactly like a Magical Piracy Tool should. I think the NT's interface is too minimalist and "hip" but that's how I feel about analogue in general, there's no "scene" in anything they do. I think the SD2SNES has the right idea

Maybe the Hong Kong 97 devs are available?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

lol of course they got Phil Fish to design it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

lol of course they got Phil Fish to design it.

my eyes rolled all the way around to the back of my head when i first read that it was freaky

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Do you think he had a meltdown over it?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Are they serious with that horrible font?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I wonder how much they paid him to make an all caps block letter font, whoa what a stunning interface!!! seriously it's a good machine and corrects pretty much everything wrong with previous analogue projects but the gushing over the interface by the typical blogs is hilarious. if phil fish's name wasn't mentioned nobody would be talking about it at all

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

d0s posted:

I wonder how much they paid him to make an all caps block letter font, whoa what a stunning interface!!! seriously it's a good machine and corrects pretty much everything wrong with previous analogue projects but the gushing over the interface by the typical blogs is hilarious. if phil fish's name wasn't mentioned nobody would be talking about it at all

Well, it's Analogue so they had to over-indulge with some part of it. Like you said, they're getting most of it right so I'll look the other way on the silly logos and menus.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

the menus had a 'Font' option so i imagine you can change it. whether that's to some other pre-made options or support for custom fonts who knows but its there

the Super NT seems really nice, and i dont think phil fish getting thrown some money to make menus look like menus is going to sour me on it at all. the SNES Classic is great but a high-quality machine that actually plays my real SNES carts and can use the mouse and stuff is something i really, really want.

also i kind of like the start-up logo thing. but i did notice that it looked you can disable it as well and just boot direct to menu (or game)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

Cranston Manor
Full Pipe
Gabriel Knight
Gabriel Knight 2
King's Quest VII
King's Questions
Leisure Suit Larry 6 (hi-res)
Leisure Suit Larry 7
Lighthouse
Mixed-Up Mother Goose Deluxe
Phantasmagoria
Phantasmagoria 2
Plumbers Don't Wear Ties
Police Quest 4
RAMA
Riven: The Sequel to Myst
Shivers
Space Quest 6
Starship Titanic
The Dark Crystal
Time Zone
Torin's Passage
Ulysses and the Golden Fleece

Sweet loving Jesus, someone else remembers that RAMA exists and put effort into making it work in SCUMMVM. I don't know if I'm supposed to seek them out in some kind of spirit of community or to kill them to keep others from discovering the game's existence :ohdear:.

I don't even know how I came to own a physical copy of it, I suspect its just a single cursed copy in existence that passes from owner to owner via dark magicks when they die.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I thought people hated Phil Fish.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I like Fez

Phil Fish is nuts though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sweet loving Jesus, someone else remembers that RAMA exists and put effort into making it work in SCUMMVM. I don't know if I'm supposed to seek them out in some kind of spirit of community or to kill them to keep others from discovering the game's existence :ohdear:.

I don't even know how I came to own a physical copy of it, I suspect its just a single cursed copy in existence that passes from owner to owner via dark magicks when they die.

I'm pretty sure I've got a copy somewhere in my collection of 90% of commercially released PC games released between 1990 and 2000.

I remember absolutely nothing about the game beyond not liking it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I only really know of the Ross's Game Dungeon episode, which made the endgame look tedious (timed missions in obtuse adventure games: yaaaay?) and noted that the music is super good.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Since pre-orders was avaiable for me, I ordered the PSIO, which is good timing since my PS2 Slim I was using for playing PS1 games with FreeMcBoot seem to be toast due to the laser not reading most times now. Forgot it has soldering, which how hard is it for someone who never done it before or should I just hire someone like MonitorBurn to handle it for me?

Also since I see on the site "supports multi disc games", but does that work on the games with no save prompts like Chrono Cross and Xenogears?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

The Kins posted:

Now that they've added Gabriel Knight, the only things on my wishlist are Willy Beamish and Rise of the Dragon, which are both conveniently the same engine.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I kind of want the two Darkseed games, to be honest.

Even though they're both kinda crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rirse posted:

Since pre-orders was avaiable for me, I ordered the PSIO, which is good timing since my PS2 Slim I was using for playing PS1 games with FreeMcBoot seem to be toast due to the laser not reading most times now. Forgot it has soldering, which how hard is it for someone who never done it before or should I just hire someone like MonitorBurn to handle it for me?

Also since I see on the site "supports multi disc games", but does that work on the games with no save prompts like Chrono Cross and Xenogears?

Yes, they finally got past that. The multidisc support is actually removing and inserting your SD card. There’s a script involved that moves the active disc image to the next in the series. Requires some prep work to get it working.