Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The Strongchin-class Star Destroyer feels like the only design that fulfills the idea of being some kind of evolution without being an obvious rehash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The best part of the movie was the shot that looked like some weird new Slave I ship landing and then it was an ironing machine, because the guy next to me in the theater got really mad about it.
I let out a giggle that the dramatic shot ended up being a comical ironing machine; it's totally something a Star Wars turbonerd would get triggered about.

Personally I thought the battles were the redeeming factor of the movie; loved the opening fight when Poe's X-Wing came into frame and the bomber's sacrifice at the ending, and then Admiral Holdo going light speed and slicing through the Imperial ships like a giant space Omnislash was awesome.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The best part of the movie was the shot that looked like some weird new Slave I ship landing and then it was an ironing machine, because the guy next to me in the theater got really mad about it.

Did he say something out loud or immediately start posting on Reddit or both?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Mahoning posted:

How often are ships that big flying around with virtually no one on it?

Jesus, the kamikaze attack is not some plot hole that now invalidates an entire franchise, it’s a desperate action that should almost never be used. It’s been an effective attack method in real life and is still is almost never used.

They build planet sized super lasers like they’re going out of style. They could stick a hyperspace drive on any cruiser-sized projectile and launch that poo poo. The question is why that isn’t done, not why all the main characters haven’t kamikazed themselves.

The Navy has been working on rail gun tech for years. Nobody suicide bombs expensive aircraft because it’s less effective than the weapons on them. If it was more effective, we wouldn’t use them as aircraft, we’d use them as missiles.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I liked TLJ but the thing about TLJ is that at its heart it's a movie about how they should stop making more Star Wars movies, and the entire plot turns on everyone ignoring the thesis of the story. I appreciate that abstractly but it also means I never really want to watch any more of these.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Attorney at Funk posted:

I liked TLJ but the thing about TLJ is that at its heart it's a movie about how they should stop making more Star Wars movies, and the entire plot turns on everyone ignoring the thesis of the story. I appreciate that abstractly but it also means I never really want to watch any more of these.

If this was your takeaway you missed the last half hour of the movie.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Now that I've had a nap and digesting what I saw some more -- so Rey's parents were just junk dealers? Were they just Iden Versio and that guy from the recent video game?

Unless the whole point Rian Johnson wanted to make was, "it doesn't really matter, the Force can come from anywhere and anyone?"

I liked the movie, but the main things I didn't enjoy so much were how some of the bigger mysteries from TFA were tossed aside so easily. And I was surprised there was no exploration into Snoke. He was thrown away so quickly that I'm not even sure what the point of him was aside from apparently reorganizing the remnants of the Empire.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

I wish Rose would have died. shes the most pointless character in all 11 star war movies

Agreed. But even more than that I hated that she was the “we shouldn’t punch nazis!!” set brought to life and her position was framed as “right” by this movie

Finn had no idea Luke would come and save everyone, what Finn was going to do WAS heroic and would have worked. Instead, as far as Rose and Finn knew, she stopped his sacrifice because she didn’t have the stomach to do what needs to be done to defeat nazis

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Doronin posted:

Unless the whole point Rian Johnson wanted to make was, "it doesn't really matter, the Force can come from anywhere and anyone?"

This was the impression I got. It felt very much a like a "midichlorians are bullshit" moment.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Doronin posted:

Now that I've had a nap and digesting what I saw some more -- so Rey's parents were just junk dealers? Were they just Iden Versio and that guy from the recent video game?

Iden Versio is not white, so

None of the ancillary material has ever mattered and it never will. This movie utterly obliterating the mystery boxes in TFA and whatever neat hints about Snoke were supposed to be sprinkled through the novels is the final proof of that. The Story Group is sold as a means for making sure everything matters, but that's just a marketing ploy.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Doronin posted:

so Rey's parents were just junk dealers?

Yes.

Doronin posted:

Were they just Iden Versio and that guy from the recent video game?

No, their daughter shows up as a character in the new Battlefront 2 DLC. She's called Zay Meeko.

Doronin posted:

Yes, that was the point.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

The Force Awakens posted:

You can literally warp your ship THROUGH WALLS AND INTO ANOTHER SHIP and be totally fine!

The Last Jedi posted:

Watch me warp through this B2 bomber lookin' thing, killing myself and every other First Order ship in the immediate vicinity!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh thanks for reminding me I should waste time with that Battlefront 2 campaign DLC

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Pakled posted:

This was the impression I got. It felt very much a like a "midichlorians are bullshit" moment.

Midichlorians exist but the entire flipping idea is that by only measuring them we see that the Jedi have lost their way. The whole point is that they’re dumb.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

BardoTheConsumer posted:

If this was your takeaway you missed the last half hour of the movie.

I didn't miss it, the movie literally ends on kids playing with action figures and decoder rings, because the Force lives on in Resistance branded merchandise.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

If you can warp your ship through things you can warp your ship INTO things.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
luke skywalker died on the force toilet taking a big old force dump

too much alien titty milk

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

When did they warp through anything in Episode 7? There's the Rathtar escape but the hangar door is open.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Saw it again and if you ignore tactical realism it's pretty darn good, except for slightly mixed messages. Holdo's suicide attack was a last resort, not a first resort like Poe and Finn keep trying. And Rey closing the door on Ben at the end shows she's learned from Luke's mistakes, maybe not everyone can be turned. Interesting

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
To make it clearer, you can achieve different stuff with a warp drive. If your mission is a suicide run, suicide run.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

cargohills posted:

When did they warp through anything in Episode 7? There's the Rathtar escape but the hangar door is open.

They do also warp through Starkiller Base's shield, though that's not a wall, exactly

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
I still feel like there’s plenty of opportunities in episode 9 to get backstory on Snoke. I have a feeling Kyle is going to “get the band back together” with the knights of ren and a lot of that is going to resurface.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

cargohills posted:

No, their daughter shows up as a character in the new Battlefront 2 DLC. She's called Zay Meeko.

Ah, thank you. I haven't played the DLC so I wasn't aware they ever revealed that.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

Attorney at Funk posted:

I didn't miss it, the movie literally ends on kids playing with action figures and decoder rings, because the Force lives on in Resistance branded merchandise.

It ends on the kids being a symbol of hope of resistance against the New Order. The whole point of the movie

Also this movie was great blows my mind people don’t like it

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

What are you talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EclGfgIgQh0

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 17, 2017

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Doronin posted:

I liked the movie, but the main things I didn't enjoy so much were how some of the bigger mysteries from TFA were tossed aside so easily. And I was surprised there was no exploration into Snoke. He was thrown away so quickly that I'm not even sure what the point of him was aside from apparently reorganizing the remnants of the Empire.

Snoke, like Luke, uses his magic space powers to see into Kylo without really understanding him. Luke sees darkness, but doesn't understand that the darkness stems from his own failings as a teacher, the absent parents, and the reconstitution of a corrupt Republic and Jedi Order. His first reaction when faced with this darkness is to ignite his light saber and consider murdering his nephew instead of him talking to him, understanding him, loving him. Snoke believes himself to be invincible because of his overwhelming ability to read minds and shoot zappy lightning. He can't be betrayed, like the Emperor was by Vader, because he has Mind Reading Level 3 instead of 1. This is his undoing.

KaptainKrunk fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 17, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rose is a great character and opened up a side of Star Wars we never seen before. I hope Episode 9 has something interesting for her to do other than be a Finn love interest.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

trash person posted:

It ends on the kids being a symbol of hope of resistance against the New Order. The whole point of the movie

Also this movie was great blows my mind people don’t like it

The movie I saw argued pretty convincingly that that stuff was a lie, but then everyone did the opposite anyway.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

got any sevens posted:

Saw it again and if you ignore tactical realism it's pretty darn good, except for slightly mixed messages. Holdo's suicide attack was a last resort, not a first resort like Poe and Finn keep trying. And Rey closing the door on Ben at the end shows she's learned from Luke's mistakes, maybe not everyone can be turned. Interesting

Luke's mistake wasn't failing to murder Kylo at his Jedi school, it was considering it at all. I don't think "some people are born bad" is going to be the message of a Star Wars film.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

No one really gives a poo poo about the Resistance because they're a black ops group secretly funded to stir poo poo up and fight for the restoration of a Republic no one cared for, not the liberation of the weak and oppressed.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Maz was union busting and joins the ranks of the great Star Wars villains

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Attorney at Funk posted:

The movie I saw argued pretty convincingly that that stuff was a lie, but then everyone did the opposite anyway.

The movie contradicted itself so much that it must have been a conscious decision.

The Jedi were failures that created Darth Vader and the Empire, let's end the Jedi -> actually let's reboot them
The Forever War is fueled by evil space capitalists selling arms to both sides to make a killing -> Actually the rebellion is so good and inspiring and little kids love it
Those books are just material things, the Force is what really matters, gently caress this tree, burn it down -> Actually we saved the books because they are super important
Heroes are flawed and dangerous, we don't need heroes, we need to inspire the public -> Actually Luke single handedly space magick'd to save the day, also we kind of revere Rey as a deity now
Chewbacca loving loves fried chicken and the chickens are horrified at this flesh-eating monster -> Actually he has one of them as a pet now and it loves him

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Geisladisk posted:

The movie contradicted itself so much that it must have been a conscious decision.

The Jedi were failures that created Darth Vader and the Empire, let's end the Jedi -> actually let's reboot them
The Forever War is fueled by evil space capitalists selling arms to both sides to make a killing -> Actually the rebellion is so good and inspiring and little kids love it
Those books are just material things, the Force is what really matters, gently caress this tree, burn it down -> Actually we saved the books because they are super important
Heroes are flawed and dangerous, we don't need heroes, we need to inspire the public -> Actually Luke single handedly space magick'd to save the day, also we kind of revere Rey as a deity now
Chewbacca loving loves fried chicken and the chickens are horrified at this flesh-eating monster -> Actually he has one of them as a pet now and it loves him

A good post.

It is the middle part of a trilogy though, so you'd hope they'd resolve most of this in the conclusion.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Milky Moor posted:

Shooting People With Lightning Is Not A Sign Of Something Wrong

Well doing anything with force powers is a sign of doing something wrong if it's against the other person's will. Mind control, hell even pushing or throwing people around. It's the same difference. I mean we've seen that the lighting doesn't have to be lethal too. You could probably just stun things with it.

Zoran posted:

You'd like the heroine to become an unaccountable god-being with no particular moral code?

Well no, what I'd like is for the simple shackles of good/evil (and their accompanying movesets) to be discarded by someone who's not been brought up to believe in blind absolutes.

I'd rather the film explored there not really being any dark or light side, just lovely people and idiots like Anakin, Luke and Kylo who jump to ridiculous extremes (like child and classmate slaughter) because that's what being a member of the "dark/light" side is supposed to do. If being able to freely wield both power sets is a good way of show not telling this, then so be it.

So a perfect scene for me in the next film would be for Kylo to bang on about ruling again only for Ray to silence him by simply asking "why?".

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Yeah the messaging is really mixed, probably to give them maximum flexibility for 9.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Luke saying Darth Sidious is real weird to the ears

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The first part of the movie actually established some thought provoking themes, and in the last thirty minutes it's like the Disney script editors realized that this poo poo was a little too deep to sell Stormtrooper-branded pillowcases and then got busy rolling all of that back at the last minute.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Kin posted:

I wonder if they'll do something with the whole Jedi/Sith thing too. Like touching on some of the things said in this film about killing everything of the past. Maybe Kylo bites it in the next film (representing the death of the Sith and the Skywalker saga), and Ray doesn't actually take up being a Jedi, instead embracing balance as this stupidly powerful Force wielder who's a normal person with no links or affiliation with any of these, now dead, millenia old religions.

Like, i guess i'd like a scene in the next film where Ray gets aggressive and shoots some lightning but it's shown to not be some corrupting influence. Instead, she's just able to tap into the full suite of powers because she's not indoctrinated into any particular way of thinking.

Yeah, nah, you have to go full light side or dark side, or you won’t get all the best powers.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

im cute posted:

Yeah, nah, you have to go full light side or dark side, or you won’t get all the best powers.

You gotta go 41 points into the talent tree to get the juiciest powers like Force Illusion and Force Lighting bro, hybrid specs are useless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Shooting lightning is bad because the purpose of hitting someone with it is to hurt them, not stop them. This is why Yoda can summon a lightning bolt in The Last Jedi and not be evil. Hope this helps.

(Speaking of video-game style force powers, the tabletop RPG actually does something interesting - all powers are either neutral or have a light/dark opposite, so if you're bad you have lightning and if you're good you have Yoda's block from Episode 2/3. It's a nice way to try and handle it.)

• Locked thread