Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Star Citizen in Trouble? - This Week In Gaming | FPS News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ30lFsHquQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
“Hey CIG How’s the business climate these days?”
“Not good. All our partners Argon.”

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

SomethingJones posted:

A new employee review has been posted on Glassdoor today (16 Dec)

Can a kind goon post it, I'm unable to atm

Dec 16, 2017

3Star

"It is an ok place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee

Doesn't Recommend

Negative Outlook

Disapproves of CEO
I have been working at Cloud Imperium Games full-time (More than 3 years)
Pros
This company has some of the best people in the industry. CIG has really created an incredible team. The people here are very friendly hard working individuals. I found the CEO to be very kind and understanding in my department. I only chose not to approve him because of his inability to unify a vision, scope, and provide a guiding direction.

The pay is ok and If you contribute you will be rewarded.

The fans.

Cons
The management is scattered, and the vision is unclear. Most of the time we were developing the project kept changing in scope. I understand it has to scale with the money being brought in, but there seemed to be no clear direction on what the design of the game was supposed to be. There is zero transparency in regards to the status of the company. As employees we could only speculate and gamble on our future. The environment changed from being excited about the game, to a general lack of faith by the developers themselves over the course of a few years. The fans may be the biggest pro- but they also end up being one of the biggest cons.

Advice to Management
Drop at least 50% of the directors and producers. Completely lock new features. Be honest with the fans about the state of the game. Execute a simplified vision, and expand on that. Identify as a team.
I would also like to give advice to the fans, because I feel that they steer the direction of the project more than they are aware. Please be more critical and skeptical. There should be a positive and negative. These criticisms push development forward, and help make positives changes to the structure of the company and where it should be focused. Too often do I see fans beat down skeptics in defense of CIG. Especially on popular community forums.

Golli fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 17, 2017

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

SomethingJones posted:

A new employee review has been posted on Glassdoor today (16 Dec)

Can a kind goon post it, I'm unable to atm

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

quote:

Please be more critical and skeptical. There should be a positive and negative. These criticisms push development forward, and help make positives changes to the structure of the company and where it should be focused. Too often do I see fans beat down skeptics in defense of CIG. Especially on popular community forums.

This. Would it have fixed everything? Probably not, I feel like Chris himself is probably the most harmful part of Star Citizen, but maybe it would have been a different game today if the atmosphere had been different for the last 4 years.

Probably not though. Sucks.

I really hope Frontier continues to build on what they have because it's looking like the closest thing I'll get to the space game I hoped someone would make.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-oYCZ-EVsE&t=209s

:gary:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

FailureToReport posted:

I really hope Frontier continues to build on what they have because it's looking like the closest thing I'll get to the space game I hoped someone would make.

I've been thinking the same thing for a couple years now, when it occurred to me I was becoming a Citizen. I had to think critically. So I figured the common defense I hear of Elite's non-game is basically "Braben is just going REALLY slow, but all the systems are solid."

I think, given the reviewable history and the current direction of the company, that the Elite you're playing now is going to be the Elite you're going to always have. Sure it might have different features added at a glacial pace over the course of years - maybe multicrew, maybe some more alien stuff, this or that here and there, but it will never not be Elite. It was always be a slow, deliberate drudge, because that's the game they were aiming to make. No matter how much it gets built out, the soul won't change. Even if he added every feature Star Citizen promised, it will still feel like Elite.

The good news is that lots of developers, many of them indie, are putting together some great space pew-pew, some great survival, trading, etc. you name it, games. To have needed them all in a single game package was a stupid conceit from the get go. The game that tries to be the best at everything winds up best at nothing. Playing multiple games, that, in aggregate, make up a "Star Citizen" experience winds up being more satisfying over the long haul.

At least that's true for gamers - people who wanted to have fun playing a game, a group I suspect you are a part of. Those who wanted Second Life in space to lord their purchases over the plebs are getting exactly what they deserved.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Holy loving echo chamber.

"Oh the timing's weird, like they've known about this for 3 years?" Yes, and in the filings it clearly states they asked CiG multiple times to hold up their end of the bargain, they didn't now here we are

"If it was me, I'd have waited until there were actual sales of the game" :what: Oh that's right I forgot, it's a "pledge" and CiG are nice enough to give you gifts in return, it's not a pre-order.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

Scruffpuff posted:

The game that tries to be the best at everything winds up best at nothing. Playing multiple games, that, in aggregate, make up a "Star Citizen" experience winds up being more satisfying over the long haul.

Totally agree there. I didn't need a FPS shooter space sim life sim farmville citizen. I was really excited to have a spaceship game where I could move around larger ships. Boom, done.

I am honestly OK with Elite's gameplay "soul", it would be really cool to have larger "wings" (guess Squadrons will be first step at addressing this?), more meaningful planetary gameplay, and if they give me some space legs + larger ships with proper multi crew? I'm way more than just content.

That said, I've been advised by many that Elite will be a long long time before it would ever be that game if that is the game they decide to make.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

SelenicMartian posted:

https://i.imgur.com/mkF4vkE.mp4

It's totally new technology, guys.

Behold! Groundbreaking Render to Texture technology, enabling amazing player hologram gameplay!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

FailureToReport posted:

Totally agree there. I didn't need a FPS shooter space sim life sim farmville citizen. I was really excited to have a spaceship game where I could move around larger ships. Boom, done.

I am honestly OK with Elite's gameplay "soul", it would be really cool to have larger "wings" (guess Squadrons will be first step at addressing this?), more meaningful planetary gameplay, and if they give me some space legs + larger ships with proper multi crew? I'm way more than just content.

That said, I've been advised by many that Elite will be a long long time before it would ever be that game if that is the game they decide to make.

I'd like to see some basic form of multicrew (which doesn't mean I'm referring to an FPS on the ship itself, just manning stations) and maybe a bit more point to landing on planets. Horizons was technically cool the first few times you land and get that sense of scale, but there's nothing to discover. You're just "exploring" an algorithm.

It's the catch-22 of space games: if the size and feel are realistic, then it's too big to hand-craft. If it's hand-crafted, then it's the size of a postage stamp and doesn't feel real.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

tl;dr: relax guys, it's only going to be $150k max per item in the suit, and Amazon is going to foot the bill. Suck it goonies

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mangoose posted:

Wait, so let's pretend CIG aren't idiots for a second ... the move to split the game into two separate games and thereby breaking the contract was a premeditated move.

Doesn't work at all because Crytek could file the lawsuit at any time. A year earlier and CIG would have had a dark cloud over your fundraising when there were still millions rolling in. A year from now and there'd be a whole lot of awkwardness over where the gently caress is the game, why aren't you showing anything?

For the "not idiots" theory to hold water they'd have to be :tinfoil: secretly in cahoots with Crytek and have them ready and waiting :tinfoil: to file the lawsuit at just the right moment. That would be when the money is starting to taper off, and right before or after delivering something that maybe could justify halting refunds as a "minimum viable product". And then you :beck: clear out all the money with big legal fees, a big settlement :tinfoil:, and any other way for money to disappear in that type of chaos.

To get even more money you might :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil: use your worthless game as collateral for a big bank loan, just so you'd have more money in the account :tinfoil::beck::tinfoil: to get scooped up in the scam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FefhMk2HDNg

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Scruffpuff posted:

I've been thinking the same thing for a couple years now, when it occurred to me I was becoming a Citizen. I had to think critically. So I figured the common defense I hear of Elite's non-game is basically "Braben is just going REALLY slow, but all the systems are solid."

I think, given the reviewable history and the current direction of the company, that the Elite you're playing now is going to be the Elite you're going to always have. Sure it might have different features added at a glacial pace over the course of years - maybe multicrew, maybe some more alien stuff, this or that here and there, but it will never not be Elite. It was always be a slow, deliberate drudge, because that's the game they were aiming to make. No matter how much it gets built out, the soul won't change. Even if he added every feature Star Citizen promised, it will still feel like Elite.

The good news is that lots of developers, many of them indie, are putting together some great space pew-pew, some great survival, trading, etc. you name it, games. To have needed them all in a single game package was a stupid conceit from the get go. The game that tries to be the best at everything winds up best at nothing. Playing multiple games, that, in aggregate, make up a "Star Citizen" experience winds up being more satisfying over the long haul.

At least that's true for gamers - people who wanted to have fun playing a game, a group I suspect you are a part of. Those who wanted Second Life in space to lord their purchases over the plebs are getting exactly what they deserved.

Yeah when they released "The Engineers" which was supposed to be this big content update, it really hit me like a ton of bricks: They don't agree with my opinion of what a game is. All they did was add more gadgets to bolt on your spaceship, but they didn't justify the purpose of Elite Dangerous beyond a "Drift past these planetary rings, aren't they pretty? Get into a spacefight, wasn't that something?" simulator. Like, what am I doing out here? Am I really gonna traipse around the edges of this galaxy hunting for incredibly rare and inanimate Thargoid space tulips? Why would I do that? Oh, I can take my tulips back and get credits or rep? What can I do with that? Oh, yeah, bolt more poo poo onto my ship. Am I really gonna fly to a ring and shoot lasers at rocks for literal hours? Why would I do that? Oh, yeah, bolt more poo poo onto my ship. Am I really going to go gather 15 encrypto-sec com-array scramblers to turn into this engineer to get rep so he can... bolt more poo poo onto my ship? Shoot ships over and over? Scan planetary surfaces over and over? Why? WHY?

Why does this thing called Elite Dangerous exist? When you boil it down to its constituent elements, what is it? We get it. Space is very big, very empty, and occasionally magnificent. But I can just load up hubble_deep_field.gif and get the same feels. Outer Space stands in stark opposition to gamification by definition. So why make a space game? What are you trying to accomplish here? What's the difference between a game and a space simulation?

Well, for starters, throw space right the gently caress out. Unless your core gameplay omits what makes space space, and is just a normal video game set to an outer space backdrop, you are making a dead boring turd.

Now I know I poo poo on space games all the time. I also poo poo on Star Wars, Star Trek, and almost every star thing ever made. But I love space. I love Carl Sagan's The Cosmos. I love people like Neil Degrasse Tyson. I drive out to dark places and watch almost every major meteor shower every year (the Geminids were amazing this year, I hope some of you saw it).

So what's the point, Toops? Well, the point is that "space games" don't exist. They're either games or space simulators. If you try to make a "space game" you're making a simulator, and you're probably going to fall infinitely short of your, and your customers, expectations.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Enchanted Hat posted:

There lived a certain man in England long ago
He was stout and bald and his nose was full of blow
Most people looked at him and thought he was a fool
But to space game nerds, he was clever, he was cool
He could code all night with golden fingers
Hallowed be his holy name
And the nerds they thought he'd be the bringer
Of a perfect game

Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
Scammer like you've never seen
There was a dev that really was gone
Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
Britain's greatest coke machine
He crobbled millions in a great con

He ruled the studios just like a Russian tsar
And he shot mocap, it was really wunderbar
Decisions lay with him, he couldn't trust his staff
And fidelity, it became his golden calf
For the nerds he was no wheeler dealer
Though he never made a game
He would be the genre's holy healer
Fill the goons with shame

Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
There was a dev that really was gone
Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
He crobbled millions in a great con

But when his lying and hustling and his hunger for money became known to more and more people
The demands to do something about this outrageous fraud became louder and louder.

This man's just got to go, declared the Crytek team
Now their lawsuit would put an end to Roberts' dream
The backers and the shills, their hearts filled up with fear
But the salty asshats let out a rousing cheer
Then one night a team of high-priced lawyers
Served him Crytek's legal claim
Skadden would now be the game's destroyers
(Goons were still to blame)

Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
They raised a suit, said "your rear end is mine!"
Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
He laughed it off and said "we'll be fine"

Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
They didn't quit, they wanted his head
Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
And so they sued CIG 'til it was dead

Oh, those lawyers...

I want the song version of this. Please santa Ewe...

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Jason Sextro posted:

Thread is so good again

That ain't an understatement. Thread is gold. Thanks especially to loxbourne and G0RF for their effortposts. Great reads.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

But what if they stopped breaching the contract now that they've been caught doing it? That would fix everything

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus posted:

Star Citizen in Trouble? - This Week In Gaming | FPS News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ30lFsHquQ

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Toops posted:

So what's the point, Toops? Well, the point is that "space games" don't exist. They're either games or space simulators. If you try to make a "space game" you're making a simulator, and you're probably going to fall infinitely short of your, and your customers, expectations.
:five:

Realism is the enemy of fun. The more realistic a 'game' is, then the less fun it is.

Simulators are in a special category - the fun there is in the challenge of mastering something that is as close to the original as possible. However, every simulator I've ever played has focused on the interesting parts - takeoff/landing, entering port/leaving port, starting up the reactor/shutting down the reactor/casualties, surfacing/submerging/hovering the ship [full-scale 6dof mockup of a submarine control room for training in WA], Racing.

None of them emphasize realism in the boring, transit parts - they abstract it away. It has very little fun, and very little training value.

Which is why any space game that doesn't abstract 'the vastness of space' away, except as an option for the masochists, will fall victim to the same criticism.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Combat Theory posted:

I want the song version of this. Please santa Ewe...

Seconded, if only to see how kazoos get worked into it.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://twitter.com/NKato/status/941111976809283584

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

:cripes:

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
You know I've bought a lot of dreams
Oh, Lord, I've pledged some dollar bills
But I've never pledged nothin', mm hm
That my wallet could kill
You know, I've seen a lot of people walkin' round
With Carracks in their eyes
But the Crobert don't care
Ah, if you live or if you die

God drat, mmhm, the Crobert
God drat, hey, I say the Crobert
I said god drat, god drat the Crobert man

You know the indie, the indie is a man
With the love of games in his hand
Oh, but the Crobert is a monster,
Good God, he's a walking, talking scam
The indie for a dollar,
Lord, will sell you lots of playable games
Ah, but the Crobert take your money
Lord, he'll leave your, he'll leave your wife to scream

God drat, ahh, the Crobert
God drat, hey, I say the Crobert
I said god drat, god, god drat the Crobert man

Well, now, if I were president of this land
You know, I'd declare total war on the Crobert man
I'd cut him if he stands,
And I'd shoot him if he'd run
Yes, I'd kill him with my chargebacks
And my whale-sized refund

God drat, the Crobert
God drat, the Crobert
I said god drat, god drat the Crobert man

Veni Vidi Ameche! fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 17, 2017

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

There will be plenty of winners -- just no backers among them.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Unironic "X y is x" in 2017.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, but I can see some cash and a revenue sharing deal being on the table.

Quite honestly, if there was a way for them to settle it, I would rather they did that because the alternative is a waste of everyone's time, and backers would stand a less chance of ever getting anything resembling a "game" they paid for.

Looks like someone still has a candle in the window for ol Star Citizen.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Abuminable posted:

There will be plenty of winners -- just no backers among them.

Well that guy put @amazon so they should get his message and sort all this out once and for all.
I mean, now Amazon have been alerted they will buy CryTek and no longer care about the contract breaches, they'll be all like 'yeah no biggie Chris lol, you doofus, ha ha' and in no way seek to take CIG to court themselves.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I am more than a little disappointed that the petition to make Derek Smart the new host on AtV has more signatures (25) on change.org than the petition to get Amazon to beat up Crytek (no petition at all).

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

TheLastRoboKy posted:

If he can keep up the pace he might have a better frame-rate than Star Citizen.
:laffo:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Taintrunner posted:

Hold on guys, I think this Crytek lawsuit means good things for Star Citizen! Sure, the crew might have to go their separate ways, but I see bright futures for them, with that massive inventory and all...

Not sure what I'm looking at but I like it. Tane.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

"its not a breach! its not a breach!!", I continue to insist as the dreams die and I beg for legal assistance.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

peter gabriel posted:

Well that guy put @amazon so they should get his message and sort all this out once and for all.
I mean, now Amazon have been alerted they will buy CryTek and no longer care about the contract breaches, they'll be all like 'yeah no biggie Chris lol, you doofus, ha ha' and in no way seek to take CIG to court themselves.

Bezos is a teddy bear. No way he'd have the heart to go after CIG, thereby protecting the interests of his company and its stockholders. Jeff would invite Chris and Ortwin over for lox and caviar and they would chit chat the night away about how mean those CryTek plunderers were.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Virtual Captain posted:

"its not a breach! its not a breach!!", I continue to insist as the dreams die and I beg for legal assistance.

Does the cultist mean CIG or CryTek?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Virtual Captain posted:

Not sure what I'm looking at but I like it. Tane.

it's jpegs. she's selling jpegs

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

In protest of Crytek I just bought a cutting board and some water filters.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Virtual Captain posted:

You should update the tracker that the REALLY REAL NOT FAKED REAL HOLOGRAM TECHNOLOGY is actually fake.

Baldness
Dec 1, 2017

Spiderdrake posted:

No no, the ending they deserve is Chris starts up another crowdfunding project centred on blaming everything on Crytek and Cryengine. And Derek Smart, and everyone who slighted him.

Can't you just picture it? This time he's back without his crippling contract that ruined Star Citizen! And he's going to code a new engine from the ground up and he needs your help! Then the crucial bit of bait on the end of the hook: the claim you'll get all your ships you pledged for in this game if you support it, once they're implemented Their sunk cost will redline and the mental gymnastics will reach fever pitch.

Crytek absolves of him of all sin. All he needs to do is promise you can import your account during the new indiegogo campaign and bam, the whales will be dragged thrashing and screaming onto shore to be milked again.

The Double Whammy.

Another tool in the con artist's toolbox.

He probably won't be able to do this if he asks Backers for funds to fight the Crytek case.

A fly in the ointment would be a settlement/other outcome that stops him doing another similar game to SC.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dusty Lens posted:

In protest of Crytek I just bought a cutting board and some water filters.

Add CIG to the smile.amazon system so every purchase funds development!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Man, that /r/gaming thread is like a mass community intervention. Whales keep coming in with single pro-SC posts and then get sand blasted with a hundred (well reasoned, relevant) counterpoints.

https://np.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/7k78vb/shots_fired_eventually_maybe/?st=jba4a5ry&sh=bf81b06c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Virtual Captain posted:

"Amazon should step in and save them from losing this obviously frivolous lawsuit."