Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Winter Season 2018: Yuru Camp△

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

a kitten posted:

The Anime Island of Dr. Moreau?
Kemono Enemies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzukzZxfdWQ
It's by the same author as Arachnid, but instead of people with bug superpowers fighting it's people with mammal superpowers.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I can't believe they're bringing Bloody Roar back.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

a kitten posted:

Kemono Enemies?

Furri Taisen

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Winter Season 2018: "Catch You, Catch Me" - Chris Hansen

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pootybutt posted:

Furri Taisen

ah, so juuni taisen

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The Colonel posted:

ah, so juuni taisen

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

chuuni taisen

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

a kitten posted:

Kemono Enemies?

I predict that this is going to be Namtab's risky pick

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Araki posted:

chuuni taisen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehpisup5csg

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Araki posted:

chuuni taisen

I would watch that. Half the series is dramatic life or death superpowered battles. The other half is what it looks like in real life and them just faffing about like "normal" kids.

Edit: So exactly, like Chuunibyou, but with more Chuunis

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

What the poo poo? Erased live action series on netflix all of a sudden.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

dogsicle posted:

watching abridged series in 2017

:thunk:

What can i say, we've come a long way from having a british dude do all of the voice work, male and female in an anime in 2007 (2006?)

SAO Abridged is actually pretty good

Wanted to ask about PsychoPass, i heard it was good. Confirm/deny?

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 17, 2017

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I hope Killing Bites cuts to nature documentary footage for it's mammal fact time.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

What can i say, we've come a long way from having a british dude do all of the voice work, male and female in an anime in 2007 (2006?)

SAO Abridged is actually pretty good

Season 1 is good. Season 2 is bad.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Season 1 is good. Season 2 is bad.

To elaborate, they brought in a different writer, and he pretty clearly did not get it. S1 works fine as a standalone, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

To elaborate, they brought in a different writer, and he pretty clearly did not get it. S1 works fine as a standalone, though.

JesuOtaku posted:

Anime's Third Law of Quality: for every Urobuchi series, there is an equal and opposite Fauxrobuchi series. For every Psycho-Pass, there must be a Psycho-Pass 2. For every Fate/Zero, there must be an Aldnoah.Zero. For every Madoka Magica, there must be a Gunslinger Stratos.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
are you saying that for every urobuchi anime there's a better one

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

for every urobuchi series, there is another series people for some reason expect to be written by him when it isn't?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

dogsicle posted:

for every urobuchi series, there is another series people for some reason expect to be written by him when it isn't?

Yes. Also the series people expect to be written by him but aren't are usually bad.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

Also the series people expect to be written by him but aren't are usually bad.

Ah, much like the ones he actually writes.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I've heard good things about his VN where you gently caress a child, but the child is Cthulu

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i have nothing against gen urobuchi but i don't think i'd be bothered if i never saw a discussion about something written by him ever again

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i have nothing against gen urobuchi but i don't think i'd be bothered if i never saw a discussion about something written by him ever again

Fall Season 2017: Only discuss animes within my "watching range"

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

My fiance and I started it and we had high hopes based on things I'd heard, but the fourth episode was offensively stupid and we called it quits right there.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Darth Walrus posted:

Seems like a lot of these shows suffer because of horrible writing. Have they ever heard of maybe replacing them mid season?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i don't care so much about urobochi i mention it every time he gets brought up

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
That's not, uh, how amimation works buddy.

Very seldom can you change writers partway through a show because of how much time it takes to animate the product, since new writers mean new scenarios, storynoards, dialogue that have to be worked on before animation can even commence.

Usually if there's a writer switch up it happens very early on in production or with longer running shows (where they have more material to back them up, larger staffs to handle the workload)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

a show where each episode is written by a different writer, in the style of the game "telephone"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ninjewtsu posted:

a show where each episode is written by a different writer, in the style of the game "telephone"

there are a few shows that are set-up to be a series of mostly goofy one-off episodes done by individual directors and i think there is something that tries to be an actual continuous story while doing this

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ninjewtsu posted:

Space Dandy?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The 1st Season of Psycho-Pass is pretty good on its own. First 2 episodes are kinda rough and episode 12 was a filler episode in all but name. It's still a pretty drat good series and it's probably one of the better modern/recent "gateway" series for people who don't watch much/any anime (ACCA and Kids on the Slope are probably slightly better for that, but all 3 are good).

Season 2 felt like a speedrun of Season 1 and... well, that's it. The movie is OK if you care for continuity, but if you were to experience the one thing about this franchise, make it the first season (the novelization done by the other Scriptwriter is also pretty good)

ninjewtsu posted:

I think it was a new Director for every episode, but the anime adaptation for Mayoi Neko Overrun did this.

I think that Space Dandy switched Writers, Storyboard, Episode and Animation Directors in most episodes. It was a wild ride.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

18if was an anthology show like that, and aired this year. out of a 12 ep season only around half was worthwhile, which can also pretty easily be watched without the context of the greater show. eps 1-3, 7, and 10 are good. there are a couple of entertainingly baffling ones as well like eps 5 and 9.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

now post jeusotaku's rant about how gatchaman crowds is pro-gamergate

edit: Also sometimes writers get replaced mid-production or have their stuff thrown out, but it's incredibly rare for someone to get replaced when it's actually airing. It happened with FlipFlappers, but despite what people would have you believe they still basically followed the same plot outline they had already, the only thing that really changed were a few parts of the execution or how things were arranged.

It happened with Shin Getter Robo, but that was an OVA series with like a month between episodes, not a week.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 17, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I can't decide between cloud dog or radio slug for the best pet this season

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

What. Now I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I don't recall Hajime endorsing sending death threats.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Yamakan...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It took 11 episodes but Animegataris finally delivered on the plot it teased in episode 1 and got incredibly meta.

I liked the scene where the sides of the frame slowly slide inward until it's 4:3 and then when a character tries to walk out the side she almost falls into the endless abyss.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the only thing yamakan qualifies for is my farts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endorph posted:

edit: Also sometimes writers get replaced mid-production or have their stuff thrown out, but it's incredibly rare for someone to get replaced when it's actually airing. It happened with FlipFlappers, but despite what people would have you believe they still basically followed the same plot outline they had already, the only thing that really changed were a few parts of the execution or how things were arranged.

It happened with Shin Getter Robo, but that was an OVA series with like a month between episodes, not a week.

Didn't Basquash get a new director halfway through who wanted to make a Macross ripoff rather than robot basketball?

• Locked thread