Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
A couple of other questions then.

Do they make anymore Dr Manhattens? Also does he learn to wear pants.

Is that the end of the story or is the notebook at the end ever addressed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Good news! DC Comic would love to answer all those questions and more with their currently running DC Rebirth comic series.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

504 posted:

Even super fast smart guy and pissed off moving face Batman?

Seems like there should be more of them in that case.
There used to be a lot more, but then they were outlawed by the Keene Act.

504 posted:

No, they didn't make more. The first one was an accident.

504 posted:

That's the end of the story in the original comic run.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Even the script for the Watchmen movie described all sorts of slow mo balletic violence.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
My question: someone today mentioned a movie from 2012 similar (in competent filmmaking level) to The Room, but I forgot the title. Anyone know what that could be?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

got any sevens posted:

My question: someone today mentioned a movie from 2012 similar (in competent filmmaking level) to The Room, but I forgot the title. Anyone know what that could be?

Fateful Findings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRI2Izu8Od0

Edit: Bonus poo poo movie is After Last Season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPPRB6ErOIU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

TychoCelchuuu posted:

No, they didn't make more. The first one was an accident.

I think it's mentioned that they tried but couldn't replicate the result (ie the subject died in all subsequent attempts)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Was going to say that it was his strong Catholicism that held him together, but that was Robocop. Am sure he had some kind of tether.

Also the movey-face thing is just Rorchach's love of ladies pantyhose (as created by Dr M). So many unanswered questions.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I thought he was Jewish.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
I think the reason Dr Manhattan was able to put himself back together again was because of his knowledge of watchmaking and physics I can't remember if it's addressed in the film though

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

feedmyleg posted:

Poor directorial choices. Dan and Laurie don't have powers, but Snyder wanted to make their fights look similarly super cool and speed-ramped like in 300, which a) made them look super-powered, b) made them look like sociopaths who murder numerous street punks and prisoners without batting an eye, and c) completely lets down the source material. Same goes with the Ozzy/Comedian fight in the beginning. Looking cool is prioritized over all else.

The film is so frustrating because it gets so much right, but the smaller foundational things it gets wrong make the film collapse under its own weight.

B) is completely intentional.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

504 posted:

A couple of other questions then.

In the comic it was never addressed as to whether or not the government tried to recreate the accident that changed Jon. There are a couple of things to point that they didn't, first is that if it doesn't work the experiment would absolutely kill anyone who attempted and second there's no guarantee that if it did succeed the person would be as controllable.

For the notebook, it's my understanding that this is part of the premise of a sequel comic series that is currently running but the thing to know about that is that it has nothing to do with the original author or artist of the comic.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Took the dude like months to slowly piece himself together after being disintigrated and since he doesn't sense time in the same way we do that probably felt like several thousands years of pure agony.

That's not something you could get many people to sign up for.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do any of you guys have any recommendation on books about film history?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

Ground floor is David A. Cook's A History of Narrative Film.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Film History: An Introductionby Kristin Thompson and David Bordwell is a good start.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 17, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

504 posted:

Even super fast smart guy and pissed off moving face Batman?
Smarty was just a rich guy that Siddhartha'd himself/smoked too much hash one night and realized 'Oh yeah I'm the peak of human achievement'. Part of the reason he is able to take the attacker is because he hired him in the first place

Erectile Difficulty Batman was just an inventor who wanted to take up the mantle of an old hero of his.

quote:

Seems like there should be more of them in that case.
The intro credits catches some of this. You see Mothman (guy being shoved into the crazy people wagon), Dollar Bill (guy with his cape stuck in a door/murdered) and the pair of murdered lesbians (one of them was a costumed hero who hunted child traffickers).
During the Mystery Man craze, you had some capes that were outright PR stunts (Dollar Bill, whose banks ensured citizens their cash would be safe; Silk Spectre).

504 posted:

He wears pants after his return. He gradually becomes less connected to his humanity and in the process decides freeballing feels good man.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for reccs guys. Also any books that tell stories of early Hollywood like how Easy Rider Raging Bulls did

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kenneth Anger's Hollywood Babylon, which is all true and contains no lies whatsoever

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Kenneth Anger's Hollywood Babylon, which is all true and contains no lies whatsoever

Seconded.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Realtalk, Karina Longworth's You Must Remember This podcast is a fantastic look at the classical Hollywood era, well-researched and entertaining

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
City of Nets is full of anecdotes for each year but only for about a decade of hollywood, in the 40's/50's

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Has anyone ever noticed subtitles that were made more family friendly for some reason? I watched Hollow Man recently (it's awful) and I noticed that the subtitles said "oh shoot" instead of "oh poo poo" and "forget you" instead of "gently caress you" It's got creepy cg boob grabbing but the entire subtitle track was like a PG version of the actual film.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

RobotDogPolice posted:

Has anyone ever noticed subtitles that were made more family friendly for some reason? I watched Hollow Man recently (it's awful) and I noticed that the subtitles said "oh shoot" instead of "oh poo poo" and "forget you" instead of "gently caress you" It's got creepy cg boob grabbing but the entire subtitle track was like a PG version of the actual film.

Since it's a lovely movie that no one cares about, maybe the subtitles were just the closed captions for the TV edit?

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Thanks for reccs guys. Also any books that tell stories of early Hollywood like how Easy Rider Raging Bulls did

Colleen Moore's autobiography has a lot of interesting details about what it was like to make movies in Hollywood during the silent era. It's from the sixties, but my library system at least still has a copy.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Realtalk, Karina Longworth's You Must Remember This podcast is a fantastic look at the classical Hollywood era, well-researched and entertaining

I liked it and listened to it for a quite awhile, but from what I understand it's not like she's doing original research or anything, just summarizing what she pulls from books. Hearing her mispronounce Leslie Van Houten's name for weeks when she was covering the Manson killings really got on my nerves. (Because I can be a pedant sometimes, not because I'm a big Manson fan or something. This was right after John Waters did his big push to get Van Houten released and was talking about her in public everywhere.)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I understand your concern but original research on some of this stuff would legitimately take years.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I understand your concern but original research on some of this stuff would legitimately take years.

"Why doesn't the podcast I pay nothing for spend years researching things that are already heavily researched?"

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Servoret posted:

I liked it and listened to it for a quite awhile, but from what I understand it's not like she's doing original research or anything, just summarizing what she pulls from books.
It would be insane to do original research for this sort of podcast.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It would be insane to do original research for this sort of podcast.

Obviously. I was being facetious, but apparently you guys are even more pedantic than I am.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Does anyone have good movie criticism podcasts they'd recommend?

I recently started listening to The Canon and would like something a bit more technical, but most other podcasts I can find are more about how movies are made or Hollywood culture.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Servoret posted:

from what I understand it's not like she's doing original research or anything, just summarizing what she pulls from books.

What do you think "research" means?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Super tangential, but I went to an open Mic karaoke thing at a small bar in Hollywood one day and like 90% of the place was celebrating an old dude's birthday/book release.

He was some bit actor in Old Hollywood and his book is a tell-all about all the attractive straight leading men who would proposition him at his side-job as a gas station attendant.

So if you can find that book, read it for Hollywood Babylon levels of :allears:

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

FilthyImp posted:

Super tangential, but I went to an open Mic karaoke thing at a small bar in Hollywood one day and like 90% of the place was celebrating an old dude's birthday/book release.

He was some bit actor in Old Hollywood and his book is a tell-all about all the attractive straight leading men who would proposition him at his side-job as a gas station attendant.

So if you can find that book, read it for Hollywood Babylon levels of :allears:

Scotty Bower's Full Service (wiki summary)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If a movie started off in a very limited release and has just now opened to a wider but still limited release in my city, is it likely to come to more theaters in my city when it gets a wide release? Call Me By Your Name is out in San Diego in two theaters, and out "everywhere" in January, and I want to know if I should wait until January (I'd rather see it at some other theater than the ones it's at) or if this is my only chance.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I was watching MST3K, The Giant Spider Invasion, and during the opening credits, a guest star is listed. Crow asks, "How do you have a guest star in a movie?"

That's my question. How do you have a guest star in a movie?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

I was watching MST3K, The Giant Spider Invasion, and during the opening credits, a guest star is listed. Crow asks, "How do you have a guest star in a movie?"

Maybe he just showed up on day and they were like, "would you like to be in our movie?"

Guest stars are often billed last in a TV show. That is reportedly why Heather Locklear was listed as a 'special guest star' for like 200 episodes of Melrose Place. Her name got listed last and with a little more pizzazz. Maybe multiple people wanted top or special billing and this was a compromise.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Krispy Wafer posted:

Maybe he just showed up on day and they were like, "would you like to be in our movie?"

Guest stars are often billed last in a TV show. That is reportedly why Heather Locklear was listed as a 'special guest star' for like 200 episodes of Melrose Place. Her name got listed last and with a little more pizzazz. Maybe multiple people wanted top or special billing and this was a compromise.

My favourite compromise when two stars demand top billing is putting one on the bottom left and the other top right so they each get to be first depending on whether you read left / right or up /down.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Leavemywife posted:

And doesn't being Universal make it International?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

"Guest Star" seems like it's simply contract speak. Contracts also stipulate whether a name is before the title, how many other names appear on-screen with it, as well as credits like "and Bob Bobberson" or "with Bob Robberson" or "Bob Robberson as Bob"

Marlene Dietrich and Zsa Zsa Gabor are credited as "guest stars" on Touch of Evil, but apparently both worked for scale and were brought on after casting was already completed at the behest of Orson Welles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm pretty sure we had this discussion before in this thread, I will see if I can find it.