Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Ernest Goes To Virtual Reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

That is so loving sad.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
At the end Ernest realizes Cline's weakness, gives him a big ol smooch, and he painfully transforms into an original idea

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Spielberg? Biting satire? Uhhh

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

AceOfFlames posted:

That is so loving sad.

y'know what, actually it's kinda nice. I mean, this weird pony-loving dude found a small community of likeminded people who obviously know him and like him enough to remember his birthday (obviously with the assistance of the forum which I'm sure reminds them) and they have a weird little running joke. it would be way sadder if it were just him every year.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DC Murderverse posted:

y'know what, actually it's kinda nice. I mean, this weird pony-loving dude found a small community of likeminded people who obviously know him and like him enough to remember his birthday (obviously with the assistance of the forum which I'm sure reminds them) and they have a weird little running joke. it would be way sadder if it were just him every year.

It really is kinda sweet.

Like Type 2 diabetes, but nice.

Everyone should find a niche

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
To my knowledge, Gamesmaster Anthony isn't hurting anyone, but poo poo even as recently as last year I though Subway Jared was a harmless fuckwad.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

To my knowledge, Gamesmaster Anthony isn't hurting anyone, but poo poo even as recently as last year I though Subway Jared was a harmless fuckwad.
Monster until proven otherwise is no way to go through life.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

Yeah I don't have the heart to dunk of this sorta thing anymore. Let the guy be

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Neurolimal posted:

Ernest Goes To Virtual Reality

Now THAT I'd go see.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Metacritic is good for a laugh sometimes. The user reviews for the new Star Wars movie are currently a dead-even split between positive and negative with hundreds on either side. Probably some bored rear end in a top hat metabombing it like they always do but the idea of something in the movie pissing off nerds that much is hilarious.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
When I think "nerd" I think "uncritical consumption of nerd media" so I can't say it's bad they're battling and quibbling.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Metacritic is good for a laugh sometimes. The user reviews for the new Star Wars movie are currently a dead-even split between positive and negative with hundreds on either side. Probably some bored rear end in a top hat metabombing it like they always do but the idea of something in the movie pissing off nerds that much is hilarious.

They're just really devoted to bringing balance to the Force.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

There is a huge split between audience and critic scores which is always good for a laugh, right now movie twitter is at "everyone who doesn't like this movie is a fanboy who will never be happy" mode which is one of many reasons why movie twitter is a joke

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Don't forget the DC crowd who feel the need to "punish" Disney.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Beachcomber posted:

Don't forget the DC crowd who feel the need to "punish" Disney.
What in tarnation

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What in tarnation

There's a specific breed of rabid fan for those films who have taken "nobody likes these but me/my friends" and run the math to come up with "...and clearly this is because Disney is waging a campaign to destroy Superman and Batman, we must stop them"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tars Tarkas posted:

There is a huge split between audience and critic scores which is always good for a laugh, right now movie twitter is at "everyone who doesn't like this movie is a fanboy who will never be happy" mode which is one of many reasons why movie twitter is a joke

They’re not wrong though. They bitched about TFA being too close to the OT and now they’re bitching about The Last Jedi deviating too far from it.

Star Wars fans don’t actually like Star Wars, etc

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Having seen the new Star Wars movie, it does a few things that people are either going to love or hate with no middle ground between. I'm not sure if it's all super nerds hating it since I'm a turbo-nerd myself and loved it, but Johnson takes a huge dump on the previous movie and it's glorious.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Having seen the new Star Wars movie, it does a few things that people are either going to love or hate with no middle ground between. I'm not sure if it's all super nerds hating it since I'm a turbo-nerd myself and loved it, but Johnson takes a huge dump on the previous movie and it's glorious.

I’m a giant Star Wars guy who unironically reads Wookieepedia articles from time to time and I loved it. I have issues with certain aspects of it, but it’s miles above TFA and Rogue One, and at least on par with Return of the Jedi.

But then again, I have opinions that run atypical to the standard Star Wars fanbase, and I’ve met and talked with Rian Johnson, so I was rooting pretty hard for the film to succeed. :shrug:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I haven't seen it yet but Last Jedi being better than Force Awakens is pretty much a given since Rian Johnson is just a so much better director than J.J. Abrams. Like they're barely in the same ballpark.

I enjoyed Force Awakens for the most part but it bothered me that they totally wasted the Raid dudes and didn't focus on what should've been the core romance: Poe and Finn.

Also this better be in the film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtmGSJdvavY

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

END ME SCOOB posted:

There's a specific breed of rabid fan for those films who have taken "nobody likes these but me/my friends" and run the math to come up with "...and clearly this is because Disney is waging a campaign to destroy Superman and Batman, we must stop them"

I'm reading the Star Wars threads here on CD, and pretty much every post is saying the movie is fitfully entertaining, but largely boring and nonsensical. Its strongest supporters are saying it's a troll movie.

Are they all fans of WB corporation waging a proxy war against Disney corporation?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

I'm reading the Star Wars threads here on CD, and pretty much every post is saying the movie is fitfully entertaining, but largely boring and nonsensical. Its strongest supporters are saying it's a troll movie.

Are they all fans of WB corporation waging a proxy war against Disney corporation?

I don't know a drat thing about that. I've got tickets for the morning. I'm referring to a select slice of superfans who all came together and decided "no, it's not that these films are divisive, it's a billion dollar corporation trying to crush their only threat" was a sane thing. Welcome to 2017, where everyone sees conspiracies everywhere and I still can't get a cool flying car as we enter cyberpunk hell.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dystopia is getting lamer and lamer each day.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
What's the Internet Meme War equivalent of Disney deciding to invade Russia?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Film criticism via blog.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

END ME SCOOB posted:

I don't know a drat thing about that. I've got tickets for the morning. I'm referring to a select slice of superfans who all came together and decided "no, it's not that these films are divisive, it's a billion dollar corporation trying to crush their only threat" was a sane thing. Welcome to 2017, where everyone sees conspiracies everywhere and I still can't get a cool flying car as we enter cyberpunk hell.

You are presenting a conspiracy theory in which a cabal of Ben Affleck fans is striving to control the media in order to make the latest Star Wars film appear slightly less popular than the previous Star Wars film, for no clear reason.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

You are presenting a conspiracy theory in which a cabal of Ben Affleck fans is striving to control the media in order to make the latest Star Wars film appear slightly less popular than the previous Star Wars film, for no clear reason.

No I think what END ME SCOOB is describing is DC Fan as nihilist. The counterweight of the fanbois of DisMarvFoxFilm but on "the wrong side of history"; stubbornly resisting without even hope enough to have an agenda, or the respectability of ideology

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 16, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Well yeah, fundamentally the idea is that Star Wars 10 will probably make a billion dollars, therefore it's "not divisive", and that's synonymous with "good". So, evidence that Star Wars 10 is divisive (i.e. all the people saying they didn't like it) must have been falsified.

Affleck enthustiasts ostensibly believe Affleck's film was good - but it only made a billion dollars, and therefore it must have been divisive. Affleck fans aware of the fundamental contradiction - a film cannot be both good and divisive - must have reconciled it by elevating Disney corporation to the level of supreme evil. Therefore ill spoken of Disney corporation and its products was likely engineered by Affleck enthusiasts.

Case closed!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

I think you're misreading this. I keep saying "a slice of the fans", the lunatic fringe, not that this is every negative review on the planet.

They're a subset of a subset.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
On twitter and both Star Wars threads here people have been pretty divided on the newest Star Wars brand film.
That people concoct some conspiracy of devious trolls making reviews reflect this is loving wild.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to rage against the cabal keeping The Shawshank Redemption the highest rated film on imdb.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
You'll never stop us. We are the Last Command of TBS Superstation: a dead hand will never release its grip

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
A certain subset of DC fans has a bit of a persecution complex. They need either RT scores or $$$ to validate their life choices, because their whole identity is invested in the media they consume.

Marvel fans would be just as bad, but they're "winning"

None of this has anything to do with the quality of a given movie.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

A certain subset of DC fans has a bit of a persecution complex. They need either RT scores or $$$ to validate their life choices, because their whole identity is invested in the media they consume.

Marvel fans would be just as bad, but they're "winning"

None of this has anything to do with the quality of a given movie.
Being mad at the critics in the case of DC rather than the studio? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Edit: They've had three lousy movies so far. I haven't seen MOS or WW. I didn't outright hate JL so that's ay least an improvement from BVS and SS.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 17, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

END ME SCOOB posted:

I think you're misreading this.

He knows what you're saying he just doesn't care. He can't.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If you haven't heard of it already, Democrats wants Disney's purchase of Fox assets to be investigated.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 17, 2017

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Don't they have 1000 better things to do?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Beachcomber posted:

I'd say that antitrust poo poo is a hell of a lot better than the kind of crap the Democrats are usually up to.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Something funny about the new Star Wars movie is that I'm finally getting to experience a small sliver of what must have happened when Vader dropped his famous line in Empire Strikes Back. Fans back then must have been shocked and I know a lot of them thought he was lying.

Something similar is playing out right now, where Person A tells Person B something and there are a ton of people now claiming that Person A must be lying. Even though the whole plot of the movie is that Person A has never lied to Person B, and has no reason to especially at that moment. It's actually really neat to experience first hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Beachcomber posted:

You say this as if the Democrats actually do things.

• Locked thread