Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i'm going to science the h*ck out of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hey, chill out!

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Though I'm having a bit of trouble with the achievement for hitting someone from 25 yards. I've hit people from a fair distance, but apparently not enough. I thought the one for hitting 3 people in a game as they reload would be harder, since most people are cogent enough to wait until they're safe, but it got it.

My trick for getting this is to, at the start of the round, run up the stairs and blindly fire straight across, hoping to catch someone running up the opposing stairs.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

"Do you hear something?" as i stand at a safe distance and watch a roaring yeti beat my friends to death

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Bluedeanie posted:

"Do you hear something?" as i stand at a safe distance and watch a roaring yeti beat my friends to death

"Scary!" as I chain trap an ulting yeti with five other psychopathic Mei.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Snazzy Frocks posted:

better yet just delete hanzo

This but kill everyone who mains him

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Dear Blizzard,

Something is wrong with your QP matchmaker if one side has players with 3.5k+ Average Comp Rating and the other side has 2.7k Average rating.

Getting smashed so hard thanks to the lovely matchmaker.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Personally I love to see higher ranked players. Yea we probably lose but it's better than rolling over a bunch of golds, I like the challenge.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

Dear Blizzard,

Something is wrong with your QP matchmaker if one side has players with 3.5k+ Average Comp Rating and the other side has 2.7k Average rating.

Getting smashed so hard thanks to the lovely matchmaker.

I was "babysitting" a friend and his two brand new to the game siblings last night.

The 4 of us and a level 15 were matched up against a team with an average level of around 600.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

level is not an indication of skill. rank is better for that if you gotta check that stuff

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I assume that your QP rank and your Comp rank are kept separate though? It would make sense for people who play seriously in comp but want to be able to QP drunk or with characters they never normally use to not be matched against people at their comp ranking.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there is no qp rank, at least not in the way I'm talking about. you can check people's comp sr by viewing their profile but qp doesn't have any kind of indication of how it attempts to match you

and regardless of which game mode you're playing, you are never matched based off of your ingame level. I bet there are people at the level cap in bronze

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Manatee Cannon posted:

and regardless of which game mode you're playing, you are never matched based off of your ingame level. I bet there are people at the level cap in bronze

Does Overwatch even have a level cap?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

1800 is where you stop getting a new border (it's like platinum and gold or something)

there is no point where you stop being able to level up tho. my wording was poor

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Manatee Cannon posted:

1800 is where you stop getting a new border (it's like platinum and gold or something)

there is no point where you stop being able to level up tho. my wording was poor

yeah it looks like this

this guy hit level 4000 in october, no idea what he is now

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ashcans posted:

I assume that your QP rank and your Comp rank are kept separate though? It would make sense for people who play seriously in comp but want to be able to QP drunk or with characters they never normally use to not be matched against people at their comp ranking.

There's a hidden QP rating they use to give their match making algorithm something to work with. If I had to guess it probably has more wiggle room than the comp matchmaking so that QP matches can be set up quicker, but still tight enough that matches don't have one player just dunking on everyone, team comp not withstanding.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Not sure if its been mentioned yet, but Moira has a really bad bug at the moment where you can wind up disabling her biotic orb entirely until you hero swap or the match ends. Seems to be caused by canceling out of Biotic Orb and going into fade immediately after.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

KildarX posted:

There's a hidden QP rating they use to give their match making algorithm something to work with. If I had to guess it probably has more wiggle room than the comp matchmaking so that QP matches can be set up quicker, but still tight enough that matches don't have one player just dunking on everyone, team comp not withstanding.

There is a bias towards matching people under level 100 with other people of under level 100. There is also some sort of QP MMR, but it is highly flexible-- I occasionally see players from bronze all the way to GM in my QP games, but I rarely see anyone below 2000 SR or anyone above 3500.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think the solution for Mei is to let her move faster by shooting the ground in front of her

I agree

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Every day I log in I get a new "we punished someone for you" pop up.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Every day I log in I get a new "we punished someone for you" pop up.

I wish I got those on console, that sounds satisfying.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

kumba posted:

yeah it looks like this

this guy hit level 4000 in october, no idea what he is now

what the gently caress

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

what the gently caress

he had a mission to play every hero for 150 hours, this was just a by product of that

Sayara
May 10, 2009
I'm actually curious about this, but why do people hate others playing Mei or Hanzo or Bastion or whatever below GM, when there are mains playing them just fine at 4k+?

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Sayara posted:

I'm actually curious about this, but why do people hate others playing Mei or Hanzo or Bastion or whatever below GM, when there are mains playing them just fine at 4k+?

cargo cult meta

Sayara
May 10, 2009

The Blue Caboose posted:

cargo cult meta

So heroes are actually just fine, but it's not META :gonk: ?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sayara posted:

I just hate Hanzo

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

everyone has always hated hanzo, even when he was good and in the pro meta. the reason can be summed up in two words: scatter arrow

even the bad heroes can be good if played into the right situation or team comp but most people have no idea what that means

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The real reason is because those heroes are inconsistent or don't gel well. A good hanzo owns, but if he's having an off day, he's not contributing at all, whereas a soldier is at least putting out some damage.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

dogstile posted:

The real reason is because those heroes are inconsistent or don't gel well. A good hanzo owns, but if he's having an off day, he's not contributing at all, whereas a soldier is at least putting out some damage.

People always say this, but over a ton of hours of hanzo, my damage output averaged out to ~90% of my hero damage output on soldier (elims/final blows/solo kills end up higher because hanzo does so much burst damage). I mean you're firing 120 damage projectiles into over-sized hitboxes, it's really not that hard to be hitting arrows. I've played every dps at length and they all feel comparably streaky.

Might just be that I've played too much hanzo and he's now a consistent hero for me, but a really off game still comes out to 75% of the damage I'd do on soldier.

That said, you're definitely right about the not gelling part. I pretty much don't play hanzo in solo-queue if I'm at all trying to win because just the pick tilts team mates even with a 70% winrate over 15 hours. In retrospect I wish i could go back and have put that same energy into learning a hero that you can play without your team mates instantly freaking out.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 17, 2017

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That new Zarya emote is boss.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
A big reason I hate snipers like Hanzo and Widow and to a lesser extent Ana is that every dipshit wants to play them so half of my team is snipers and if the other team is good at diving or if we're on attack, it's not going to be fun at all. One sniper in a team, even if they're not that good, is tolerable because the rest of the team can pick up the slack or make the most of the successful picks.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

bango skank posted:

That new Zarya emote is boss.

Do you mean last year's Zarya emote with the present opening? Yes it's the best though. If you bind an emote key and jump three times while hitting said emote key three times the next time you hit the emote key will get you the infinite present thing.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Do you mean last year's Zarya emote with the present opening? Yes it's the best though. If you bind an emote key and jump three times while hitting said emote key three times the next time you hit the emote key will get you the infinite present thing.

Yeah, this is my first winter event so I assumed it was new, but that's the one. I was bummed at first that my legendary ended up being an emote but then I saw the infinite gift version and now I have to play Zarya.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
What's the best least painful DPS to learn if my aiming is awful and I'm on console? I main supports and tanks but figure I should learn a DPS to 'flex.'

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Moira or dva

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Junkrat too

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Montalvo posted:

What's the best least painful DPS to learn if my aiming is awful and I'm on console? I main supports and tanks but figure I should learn a DPS to 'flex.'

Pharah since you don't need to track much, just predict your shots.

Or Soldier since you can spray so much you're bound to hit something.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I hope they give McCree a third ability at some point. They should give him a lasso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Montalvo posted:

Reaper actually. Pont roughly towards them and shoot. Getting close enough without dying is a challenge but not an aiming based one.