Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I think my favourite thing about the movie is that the force feels magical again and that's great?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

Darkforces 2 did it better already.

Man cut in half uses the dark force to fly bitch!

Didn't look that good in game though...

Imagine being so pissed that you grow invisible legs.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's 2 good jokes in this movie, well technically three.

1. Leia Organa is dressed and styled throughout this film like the bartender in the Star Wars Christmas Special.
2. It straight up says that TFA is a bad movie and nobody gives a poo poo about its fake mysteries or lame rear end characters.
3. Fourth wall breaking jokes now mean that Spaceballs is a canon Star Wars film.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I like that this movie did confirm at least one fan theory/assumption: R2 has a goddamned potty mouth. It fits so well.

Unrelated, but did the Resistance always have the hammerhead-looking cap ships that looked surprisingly like the Battlecruisers from Starcraft?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The joke here is that FN is the protagonist of Force Awakens, up until the point where he ‘dies’. Rey is such a bland character because she stands for FN’s latent heroic spirit or something. She enters his narrative at roughly the point where he puts on the Resistance jacket, and suddenly Rey just loves to kill stormtroopers.

Not coincidentally, Rey does all her most questionable violent stuff when FN isn’t around.

Force Awakens isn’t easy to absorb; it’s easy to tune out. Nobody gives a poo poo about the conflict.

This is hilarious because it's exactly correct.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I just came back from seeing the film, and while it'll probably take some time to absorb everything, here are my initial thoughts:

For being a sequel, it doesn't quite follow from The Force Awakens. Specifically, it doesn't seem to follow from where the previous film ended.

For being the longest film so far, the actual story takes place over a small amount of time. There's a lot of forward motion, so while I was exhausted by the end of it by I was never bored.

There are a surprising amount of indirect prequel references, from the visual (the way the bombs in the resistance bombers are stacked distinctly recall the way the Trade Fenderation stored their deactivated battle droids in TPM) to the film showing that absence of either an Empire or a Republic the trade federations and commerce guilds largely rule the galaxy, and the neither the First Order or the Resistance are a threat to them.

The films almost seems to claim the entire conflict between the First Order and the Resistance is just diverting people from the true sources of conflict.

And I say "almost" because the film seems indecisive or noncommittal on the matter. Or maybe it just poorly communicates its point. In particular:

Leia says the Resistance must survive to provide a symbol of hope to the powerless of the universe...yet then Finn and Rose head to the gambling planet where they meet the powerless (reminiscent of Quigon and Obiwan on Tatooine) in the process of hooking up with a code-breaker whose betrayal all but annihilates the Resistance. Does that mean the Force disagrees with Leia, and that it purposely acted to flatten the Resistance? Or that the Force is punishing the Resistance for ignoring the helpless until it serves their interest? Either would fit in with the code-breaker pointing out that both the Resistance and the First Order help perpetuate the system of oppression--but then the movie ends with a slave child being encouraged by his encounter with the Resistance...so the Resistance providing hope is of value after all?

Luke being ultimately deciding to destroy the Jedi scriptures, only to later show them safe in Rey's keeping, further confuses things. Does the Force want them destroyed or not?

As far as I can tell, the film doesn't provide a straight answer, and largely kicks the can down to the next film.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 17, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's apparently what happens when Disney *doesn't* gently caress with a film and gets what they paid for; anything resembling thoughtfulness is hit on the knuckles with the quip ruler.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Since everyone hates it there's no way we're ever getting anything like this ever again. Maybe not even Rian's trilogy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

Since everyone hates it there's no way we're ever getting anything like this ever again. Maybe not even Rian's trilogy.

Au contraire, this and JL might finally kill off the insufferable GOTG-style quipathon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Marvel movies especially Guardians are still quite popular so not yet.

(I like half the quips)

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

It's making money. Plenty of people like it. It's fine.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Batman V Superman made some money but everyone complained about it and we got Justice League.

Lucasfilm is def gonna listen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

Batman V Superman made some money but everyone complained about it and we got Justice League.

Yup. Amazing Spider-Man 2 made a grip and Sony pulled the plug.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm harsh as gently caress on certain points of this film and even I'm surprised at how many people don't like it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This movie is tracking to very nearly match Justice League's entire take in one weekend. You guys are as usual wayyyyy up your own buttholes.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

anything resembling thoughtfulness is hit on the knuckles with the quip ruler.

There's an analogy here to the scene where Rey thinking she had to reach out physically to feel the Force, thinks she's feeling it, but she's just feeling a reed that gets wrapped over her knuckles.

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game
Rian's new trilogy will have the remnants of the First Order and the Resistance realizing they have been pawns in the big game. They team up to take out the NRA, Mercers, Koch's, Soros, and all the lobbyists in a galaxy far, far away.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm gonna bet Rian isn't going to get that trilogy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MisterBibs posted:

There's an analogy here to the scene where Rey thinking she had to reach out physically to feel the Force, thinks she's feeling it, but she's just feeling a reed that gets wrapped over her knuckles.

But not even ten seconds later, they completely double back on the joke.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

BvS got scathing reviews from professional critics and from what I understand underperformed at the box office.

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.
This movie was great and makes Force Awakens feel like baby's first Star War. That's all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And it was very disliked among the audience. Not by everyone, but it was not a cherished film.

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game

CelticPredator posted:

I'm gonna bet Rian isn't going to get that trilogy.

Because of sperglords on SA? Ep VIII is a critical success and will make a poo poo-ton of money. Rian will, at minimum, get to make Ep. X.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

CelticPredator posted:

And it was very disliked among the audience. Not by everyone, but it was not a cherished film.

I'm...I'm sorry. Did you just claim TLJ was 'very disliked' and that Rian is going to lose a trilogy because of Rotten Tomatoes viewer ratings?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Does this actually hold true among general audiences? That movie review site that asks people leaving the cinema what they thought has it as well liked as Episode 7, and it has an 8/10 user score on IMDb. It's just the Rotten Tomatoes user score that's really been bombed, which makes me think that people who review films on Rotten Tomatoes are just wildly unrepresentative of film-going audiences.

EDIT: It's been bombed on Metacritic as well. Maybe the connective tissue is weirdos who for some reason use review aggregators to look at user scores.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 17, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes to those 3 posts.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I will say, though, Mark Hammil beat the brakes off this movie, there's a guy who doesn't take big paychecks for granted.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
My new favorite image is Bob Iger calling Rian Johnson into his office and being like, "Hey Rian, I hate to break it to you, but the three movie deal is off. Now I know, I know, it did extremely well at the box office and was very well reviewed among critics...but Rian, man.....have you seen the Rotten Tomatoes user review percentage? How am I to explain that to the shareholders Rian."

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.
Anecdotally, I'd say this movie is bombing with exactly the right people.

Let the past die, kill it if you have to.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Enough with the doomsaying, did you forget all the grousing about Rey being a Mary Sue right after TFA came out? poo poo's fine, TLJ is doing well and I cannot loving wait for the Rian trilogy.

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game

nurabsal posted:

Millennials?

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

Aging millennials! 30-35+ in my friend group seem to have the harder time with it for some reason. I grew up with the prequels (and no, I don't think they are good)

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about the conflict.

I think you are finally becoming a real Star Wars fan.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Filthy Casual posted:

Enough with the doomsaying, did you forget all the grousing about Rey being a Mary Sue right after TFA came out? poo poo's fine, TLJ is doing well and I cannot loving wait for the Rian trilogy.

Okay well, we'll see I guess. I want it too but after them firing Lord and Miller for going outside the box, and Trevorrow for being himself, I don't know what Lucasfilm wants to do with this series.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

nurabsal posted:

I don't know who you're specifically referring to but my gun loving, Trump voting, Minion-meme reposting aunt posted a FB status saying she hated it and ther we 10 comments agreeing with her

Anecdote isn't evidence of course, but hey

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The whole film seems like a meta commentary on the whole Star Wars genre as a whole and I thought that was great.

I really like this movie and the only part I thought was a little wonky was the sub plot with Benicio Del Toros character and I thought they could have made the chase part more interesting

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Star Wars, DC movies, new Alien movies are all divisive. The MCU stands alone in not engendering much debate.

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game

nurabsal posted:

Aging millennials! 30-35+ in my friend group seem to have the harder time with it for some reason. I grew up with the prequels (and no, I don't think they are good)

Friends my age (40'ish) that grew up on the OT really enjoyed it...most rank it 2nd or 3rd out of all the films (ESB is universally #1). I was born in 77 and I loved this episode...I have no problem admitting I teared up a when R2 and Luke reunited, the OT was my jam.

My other friends / co-workers in the age range you mentioned absolutely hate it.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Okay well, we'll see I guess. I want it too but after them firing Lord and Miller for going outside the box, and Trevorrow for being himself, I don't know what Lucasfilm wants to do with this series.

I'd like to submit The Last Jedi as the answer to that question. I don't have the full story on Lord/Miller since I'm not buying the hit-pieces on it full stop. I don't think Trevorrow has actually made a really good movie so picking up Johnson instead is a direct quality upgrade.

Also, aging 30 year old millennial here. Just about everyone I know loved it, with the exception of one dude who voted Trump.

To be fair, I can kinda see why fascists would hate it, their audience surrogate spends the whole movie getting dunked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Why'd they bring back Abrams for 9 though?